Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I did a couple searches and was surprised nothing "turned" up ..

Premier on Sunday April 6th, 2014 .. the Story of America's First Spy Ring

http://www.amctv.com/shows/turn

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm surprised there hasn't been more on this thread about this show. I thought the first hour was very good television. I wasn't ready for it be over. Looking forward to the next episode.
post #3 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I agree. I didn't want to enjoy it as much as I did, dadgumit. I'm really trying to triage my TV. frown.gif But it was very well done, IMO. I'm in.
post #4 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed the premier .. waiting to see how the next couple episodes pan out ..

Honestly, I thought it was kinda a strange concept when I first heard about the show .. but the trailer looked interesting ..

Certainly a topic that's not been done to death .. smile.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I enjoyed the premier .. waiting to see how the next couple episodes pan out ..

Honestly, I thought it was kinda a strange concept when I first heard about the show .. but the trailer looked interesting ..

Certainly a topic that's not been done to death .. smile.gif

That's all about to change. There's FOX's 'Sleepy Hollow' which features frequent flashbacks to the Rev War, and Ron Moore's 'Outlander' this summer which features a gal sent back in time to Rev War days. Methinks the market for Rev War era gear and costumes is turning bullish.
post #6 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I liked it as well, it was much more engaging than I had expected. They got the main characters, and a bit of their motivations, and the story all moving along within that first episode, very well constructed in my opinion.
post #7 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I liked TURN a lot too. Thought it was very smart and filled with excellent performances. Like many of the rest of you, I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Jamie Bell is a very good actor and proved to me at least that his fine performance in Billy Elliot was a portent of things to come. Besides, any guy who could convince Evan Rachel Wood to marry him has to have something going for himself. smile.gif
post #8 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That's all about to change. There's FOX's 'Sleepy Hollow' which features frequent flashbacks to the Rev War, and Ron Moore's 'Outland' this summer which features a gal sent back in time to Rev War days. Methinks the market for Rev War era gear and costumes is turning bullish.

Arch .. I had spaced out "Sleepy Hollow" .. but during it's first season run, I was tempted to dress daily in Revolutionary War garb as Ichabod Crane did .. I mean, he seemed to get away with it with no weird looks or guys in white coats coming around .. but, in the Age of Cosplay, who knows what defines weird anymore .. wink.gif .. I'm sure Washington Irving would be proud (or not) ..

I'm looking forward to Outlander on Starz ..

Uncle Willie

post #9 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm looking forward to Outlander on Starz ..

When I read the synopsis of Outlander, I realized that I had read the first book several years ago. I think I liked it but can't remember much more about it than the Starz site told me. Anyway, I'll give the Starz series a whirl. Thanks for the tip!
post #10 of 50 Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59

After reading a few less than enthusiastic reviews I too had low expectations. I kept waiting for it to go off the rails but that did not happen. Thumbs up so far.

post #11 of 50 Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

After reading a few less than enthusiastic reviews I too had low expectations. I kept waiting for it to go off the rails but that did not happen. Thumbs up so far.
The one review I read was not glowing. Why I discounted was simpy, the reviewer wondered how long AMC could keep putting stuff out like this and Walking Dead and survive.
post #12 of 50 Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just watched episode 1 & 2... It's making it into the DVR rotation now that TWD and justified are finished.

I was hoping it'd be good enough after 2 episodes to keep me watching and it has so far. Plus, I enjoy learning more about that time period and the founding of our nation.

post #13 of 50 Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As a side note a lot of the pilot was shot here in Virginia where the old sets for HBO's John Adams still were. They were falling apart so they had to do some work to get them ready, but they were still there. The other episodes were shot there as well as a couple of plantations near Williamsburg.
post #14 of 50 Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
:rolleyes:I want to like this show, but I think it needs to take a lesson from NBC's Sleepy Hollow. There they sometime ground the story in some historical event or fact before going off into their paranormal fantasy. They hook rather nicely. Here it seems the show is written in some alt-universe, void of anything historical, but in period costume. To give this show some teeth, they need to jump off some historical event as a side and into a period spy thriller. They have not created the historical plot line strong enough to anchor on to their main period fiction spy thriller plot. Until they do, I can't take this show seriously, I know and studied that period of American history. I see too many missed opportunities for this show as a whole to be credible and believable where it should be.rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif
post #15 of 50 Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^
Well, with the series still pretty new, there is still time ..

Historical Period Drama is a tough area .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #16 of 50 Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Although nobody has posted to this thread in nearly a month, I hope that some of you are still watching TURN and enjoying it as much as I am. I thought this week's show was the smartest one of the series so far. I really enjoyed the appearance of Stephen Root as America's first spymaster. This show has been good stuff!
post #17 of 50 Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Although nobody has posted to this thread in nearly a month, I hope that some of you are still watching TURN and enjoying it as much as I am. I thought this week's show was the smartest one of the series so far. I really enjoyed the appearance of Stephen Root as America's first spymaster. This show has been good stuff!
Definitely still watching, while I do wait at least 15 mins or so for the DVR to spool it up this has become appointment TV for me. I have no idea what the ratings have been but I hope they've been good enough to renew the show.
post #18 of 50 Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 168
That last show was confusing.

Maybe I missed some key points somewhere? They showed him getting shot over the egg message, in the beginning, then they showed him not even in the city. I didn't see any notice of time frame or anything. They haven't done this kind of editing before I don't think.

The show is ok for me. Not the best, but it's worth it to keep watching.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #19 of 50 Old 05-14-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

That last show was confusing.

Maybe I missed some key points somewhere? They showed him getting shot over the egg message, in the beginning, then they showed him not even in the city. I didn't see any notice of time frame or anything. They haven't done this kind of editing before I don't think.

The show is ok for me. Not the best, but it's worth it to keep watching.

That introductory scene was simply an operational concept Root was evaluating and as such, it was all in his mind and on paper. It was subsequently discarded. Re-watch the episode and you will see what I mean.

This show is an interesting concept for you lot, I reckon. tongue.gif
post #20 of 50 Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm trying to get some DVR stacked shows watched and done, but should be back to "Turn" soon ..

Uncle Willie

post #21 of 50 Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm trying to get some DVR stacked shows watched and done, but should be back to "Turn" soon ..

Same here. It's fallen behind in my queue but I watched the first couple of episodes and was impressed. I'll definitely be getting to it soon.
post #22 of 50 Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Two weeks behind... life got in the way, but I'm 'IN". Just need to catch up, hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to.

Can't wait to see Stephen Root.

post #23 of 50 Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been watching this one within 24 hours of recording it. I'm really liking it.
post #24 of 50 Old 05-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm really liking this show. Anyone know how the ratings are, or if it will be picked up for a 2nd season? Also, I had no idea this was based on a true story, until I looked up Setauket, New York to see if its a real place, and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culper_Ring
post #25 of 50 Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 12
I am enjoying this show more and more. I don't know the ratings though. Season finale this Sunday (I think). This show makes me want to re-visit my John Adams blurays.
post #26 of 50 Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Well, I finally watched the first three episodes today and enjoyed them very much. I'm in.
post #27 of 50 Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

After the Premier, my DVR, which only records 2 measly shows at a time, began deleting the TURN scheduling since there were conflicts with other shows that had higher priority .. so, I've had to schedule random TURN episodes in order to actually get the whole series thru the season finale ..

I'm glad to hear it's still keeping viewers interest here ..

Uncle Willie

post #28 of 50 Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I am now completely caught up with all of the episodes that have aired to this point. I'm certainly glad I recorded them as this is a very good series.
post #29 of 50 Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Now that the wife had found the list of spies will she turn her husband over to the British?
post #30 of 50 Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Now that the wife had found the list of spies will she turn her husband over to the British?

That's the big question... Is Mary so desparate to have a family that she would blackmail Abe into staying with her and abandoning his affair with his true love Anna? Is it just me or does it seem like the redcoat garrissoned at the Woodhull home has a thing for Mary? Seems like a lot of their problems could be resolved with a quick "wifeswap."

Personally, I'm loving this show... Simcoe is a bit cartoonish/cliche but otherwise the acting is excellent. Anybody know how its doing in the ratings. Surely it can't be that expensive to produce. Other than period costumes and some pretty basic musket wounds it's not heavy on the special effects or elaborate sets. The dialog is pretty compelling although on a few occasions I've found it somewhat audibly muddled. Like during Benjamin Tallmadge's march in last night's episode. I hate having to jack up the volume to hear character conversations. Despite that, I hope it gets picked up for a second season. I'm curious to see if the rebels manage to win the war. tongue.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page