AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 753
'12 Monkeys' series gets 12-episode order from Syfy

Looks like this 'Might' be a winner smile.gif

I really liked the Movie myself

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/syfy-orders-12-monkeys-series-based-on-brad-pitt-bruce-willis-movie-1201152983/
Quote:
12-monkeys-tv-show
April 4, 2014 | 01:48PM PT
Andrea Seikaly
@AndiSeikaly

Syfy prexy Dave Howe announced Friday that the cabler has given a series greenlight to the drama “12 Monkeys,” which is based on Terry Gilliam’s 1995 Universal Pictures film that starred Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis.

In addition to the pilot, Syfy has ordered 12 episodes of the series produced by Universal Cable Prods. and Atlas Entertainment.

“12 Monkeys” stars “Nikita’s” Aaron Stanford and Noah Bean, “Suits” actress Amanda Schull and Kirk Acevedo of “Fringe.” The series follows the journey of Stanford’s character, a traveler from the post-apocalyptic future who appears in present day on a mission to uncover and eliminate the source of a deadly plague that threatens the human race.

“‘12 Monkeys’ is a captivating time travel adventure and high stakes race against the clock,” Howe said. “We are thrilled to add it to our slate of engaging and thought-provoking new scripted projects

Quote:
Producer of Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis film will executive produce show
http://tv.msn.com/12-monkeys-series-gets-12-episode-order-from-syfy/story/feature/
By Tim Molloy
TheWrap

Syfy has ordered 12 episodes of "12 Monkeys" based on the Terry Gilliam film starring Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis.

The show follows a time traveler from the post-apocalyptic future who appears in the present-day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will eventually decimate the human race. The drama is slated to premiere next January.

It stars Aaron Stanford ("Nikita," "X-Men: The Last Stand," "X2"), Amanda Schull ("Suits," "Pretty Little Liars"), Noah Bean ("Nikita," "Damages") and Kirk Acevedo ("Fringe").

Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett ("Terra Nova," "Nikita") who co-wrote the pilot script, will serve as co-executive producers with executive producer and showrunner Natalie Chaidez ("In Plain Sight," "V," "Heroes.") Jeffrey Reiner ("Friday Night Lights") directed the pilot served on it as an executive producer.

Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven ("American Hustle," the "Dark Knight" trilogy), who produced the original film, and Richard Suckle ("American Hustle") will also executive produce.

"'12 Monkeys' is a captivating time travel adventure and high stakes race against the clock," said Syfy president Dave Howe. "We are thrilled to add it to our slate of engaging and thought-provoking new scripted projects including the recently announced event series 'Ascension' and the second season renewal of 'Helix' from Ron Moore."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/06/syfy-orders-12-monkeys-tv-series

a pilot was done last Summer & I would guess SyFy liked what they seen

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/12-monkeys-adaptation-headed-to-syfy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/12-monkeys-adaptation-lands-series-693795

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Loved the movie. Smart and stylish.

This sounds desperately dumb. An entire season chasing after the virus and without Gilliam's frenetic, crazed and skewed vision?

post #3 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

An entire season chasing after the virus and without Gilliam's frenetic, crazed and skewed vision?
Sounds great to me.
Fastslappy likes this.

Swine are good people too.
post #4 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Loved the movie. Smart and stylish.

This sounds desperately dumb. An entire season chasing after the virus and without Gilliam's frenetic, crazed and skewed vision?
I disagree
with the exec producers from the film on board , feel they will have a handle on keeping the spirit & style of the film alive ,
As with any story that involves time travel there will be many avenues to go down .
I welcome any SciFi series to the TV realm as it beats the Heck outta a new cop show .
Dr Who ( I am NOT comparing this to that show ! ) works so well with time travel . It's easy to see how varied a story line can develop when dealing the 'Time Travel' element .
Yes , in the movie James Cole is killed , but the entity that sent Cole back in time is still there & there were alot of loose ends that the original movie never tied up smile.gif
They could run with any of those loose ends by sending Stanford's character down many Rabbit Holes cool.gif

Mike

post #5 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I disagree with the exec producers from the film on board , feel they will have a handle on keeping the spirit & style of the film alive ,

In the movie Cole was a man driven crazy by his random time travel to the point were the viewers were unsure if he was just a deluded lunatic. That worked because Willis gave a great unhinged performance and Gilliam's style informed the insanity. Are they going to keep that or swap it out for a generic pretty boy macho lead?

Not to mention the plot of the movie wasn't to change the future, it was to find the source and report back so the existing future could be improved. That in itself was a step up from the usual time travel cliches, especially since it stuck to the time travel rule that the past has already happened and the future cannot be changed.

This has all the hallmarks of a desperate lack of originality from Syfy that will be extremely dumbed down to be an action show set in the present day.

post #6 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the movie Cole was a man driven crazy by his random time travel to the point were the viewers were unsure if he was just a deluded lunatic. That worked because Willis gave a great unhinged performance and Gilliam's style informed the insanity. Are they going to keep that or swap it out for a generic pretty boy macho lead?

Not to mention the plot of the movie wasn't to change the future, it was to find the source and report back so the existing future could be improved. That in itself was a step up from the usual time travel cliches, especially since it stuck to the time travel rule that the past has already happened and the future cannot be changed.

This has all the hallmarks of a desperate lack of originality from Syfy that will be extremely dumbed down to be an action show set in the present day.
Ah NO , there was nothing random by his being sent back ,they sent Cole back to stop the release of the Virus on his last trip to the past , the earlier trips Cole was sent on were to find the source of the 12 monkeys which in the end had nothing to do with the world wide disease being released. The driving force of the movie was Cole's ever changing missions back to the past that were influenced by what was found out on his earlier missions .

SyFy did a great job on "Alphas" , that was a good show that deserved to be renewed .

So I feel that this show has at least be given a fair chance & not called 'Dumb' without one even seeing a episode 1st rolleyes.gif
edit spelling

Mike

post #7 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

+1000000

What some may not know or care about is that the inspiration of 12 Monkeys is the short French-made film La Jetee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jet%C3%A9e

I have seen both & own both. Le Jette can be found on a Criterion BD release. the whole "film" is a series of haunting still photos with a eerie kind of narration telling the story. well worth the 25 -30 min to watch it. you'll see where the ideas behind 12 Monkeys came from.

in La Jetee, the apocalypse is nuclear war instead of virus plague. what made the endings of both films so haunting and startling was not the fact the "Cole" character dies but that he sees himself die in a time paradox. and the ultimate irony of 12 Monkeys is the person who unleashes the virus is sitting next to one of the people who is trying to find a cure in the future. the story all comes down to this paradox & irony. IMO, the so-called "unanswered questions" are totally irrelevant to the power of the story.

and a series that tries to answer them will only degrade the films' experience or meaning to a viewer. it would be like making a TV series about 2001 Space Odyssey tongue.gif you couldn't do that w/o destroying the experience & meaning of the film. and before someone reminds me of 2010, from Clarke's sequel, while it was entertaining, it paled by comparison with the vision of the original. the same will probably happen here.

IMHO, to take this hauntingly beautiful vision (both versions) and turn it into a normal TV series where this becomes just another Time Tunnel or Quantum Leap is an insult to the original concept & cheapens it. it also shows the lack of originality at SyFy is coming up with a new story line on their own...that they have to piggyback on a successful SF film.

I'm not opposed to taking a SF film, or any film, and making it into a series but in this case, a series has great potential to destroy what made the film so haunting to a viewer. I keep using the word haunting because I can't think of another that better describes what I felt at the end in both films. it was eerie, sad and wow at the same time.

no doubt, I'll give the show a try redface.gif but I have serious doubts SyFy will stay true to the vision of the film and it will end up being a knock-off, dumbed down SF actioner for the "masses".

Steve
post #8 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I feel that this show has at least be given a fair chance & not called 'Dumb' without one even seeing a episode 1st rolleyes.gif

Sure, there's a chance the writers of Terra Nova and the channel whose biggest hit recently was Sharknado might manage to take a smart, critically-acclaimed movie that had an Oscar nomination and make it a smart series with a deranged lead, hardly any action and no happy endings.

But I haven't seen any evidence recently that they can and until proven otherwise Syfy get as much benefit of the doubt from me as Uwe Boll does.

post #9 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

IMHO, to take this hauntingly beautiful vision (both versions) and turn it into a normal TV series where this becomes just another Time Tunnel or Quantum Leap is an insult to the original concept & cheapens it.

Or worse, it could be another Time Trax!

post #10 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As with any story that involves time travel there will be many avenues to go down.

that's true and that's also the pitfall

Steve
post #11 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, there's a chance the writers of Terra Nova and the channel whose biggest hit recently was Sharknado might manage to take a smart, critically-acclaimed movie that had an Oscar nomination and make it a smart series with a deranged lead, hardly any action and no happy endings.

you nailed it

Steve
post #12 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 189
La Jetee was a classic. I didn't care for 12 Monkeys nearly as much. I'll give this series a try, but I honestly expect much from it. I'll be very happy to be wrong though.
post #13 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

La Jetee was a classic.

agreed smile.gif

Steve
post #14 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or worse, it could be another Time Trax!

noooo biggrin.gif

Steve
post #15 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watch La Jetee smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMEc0oe4yc

Mike

post #16 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
good find

Steve
post #17 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now I had figured that this thread would start a vigorous discussion smile.gif as '12 Monkeys' was a polarizing film when it was released some loved it & some just thought it was dumb .
I have seen the film so many times I can't count the times I've watched it . I remember seeing the film 3 times in the 1st week of release
And at this point I watch it every six months to just relive the 'Haunting' again .
I love the film so don't get me wrong ,I do hope that SyFy will do the film right & will be disappointed if it is a rip off & degrades in just action series .
With the Exec Producers of the film on board then at least I will look to them to keep that from happening fingers crossed .
I will continue to keep a open mind that this just might get made right .
As a SciFi junkie I look forward to any show that is Not a Cop show , even thou I do watch cop shows
anything will be better than new shows about duck calls & beards ,Kim K , singing ,dancing ect tongue.gif

Mike

post #18 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As a SciFi junkie I look forward to any show that is Not a Cop show , even thou I do watch cop shows
anything will be better than new shows about duck calls & beards ,Kim K , singing ,dancing ect tongue.gif
Am a "SciFi junkie" too.
However, the TG film hit me like nearly all of his others: all style and no substance.
Of course, YMMV.wink.gif

post #19 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://vimeo.com/46620661
La Jetee English version smile.gif

Mike

post #20 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Am a "SciFi junkie" too.
However, the TG film hit me like nearly all of his others: all style and no substance.
Of course, YMMV.wink.gif
you didn't like Brazil ? rolleyes.gif
I loved that one as well , another one on my re-watch rotation biggrin.gif

Mike

post #21 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Zero Theorem

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333804/

New Terry Gilliam film said to be the 3rd of the Trilogy that includes Brazil & 12 Monkeys

this summer in the USA

http://www.thezerotheorem-movie.com/

trailer at the link smile.gif

Mike

post #22 of 85 Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

New Terry Gilliam film said to be the 3rd of the Trilogy that includes Brazil & 12 Monkeys
Trilogy?
I don't see how the other 2 are even connected.

Quote:

trailer at the link smile.gif
After watching the trailer, I'll bet dollars to donuts it will be the typical TG film of style over substance.wink.gif

post #23 of 85 Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Premier of Jan 16th.... It's paired with Helix on Friday nights.
post #24 of 85 Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Fastslappy

Trilogy?
I don't see how the other 2 are even connected.
Same way that Pegg's "Cornetto trilogy" was connected. A lot of creators make connections thematically rather than with story. Gilliam's trilogy is his dystopian theme.

post #25 of 85 Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Am a "SciFi junkie" too.
Of course, YMMV.
Aw, come on, Piggy; great film, excellent performances, and he didn't even have a sexy time-machine...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #26 of 85 Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Last night was the premier...
Anybody watch live?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #27 of 85 Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Last night was the premier...
Anybody watch live?
I did.

Big Bad = invisible plague that kills humanity
Same thing we have been seeing again and again.
Took it off my DVR Series Manager.

post #28 of 85 Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post
Ah NO , there was nothing random by his being sent back ,they sent Cole back to stop the release of the Virus on his last trip to the past , the earlier trips Cole was sent on were to find the source of the 12 monkeys which in the end had nothing to do with the world wide disease being released. The driving force of the movie was Cole's ever changing missions back to the past that were influenced by what was found out on his earlier missions .
Oh dear ... I hate to break it to you ... perhaps you need to re-watch the movie.

Hint: Pay attention to the "scientists" sitting on the panel.

Last edited by HDTVChallenged; 01-17-2015 at 09:47 AM.
post #29 of 85 Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Oh dear ... I hate to break it to you ... perhaps you need to re-watch the movie.

Hint: Pay attention to the "scientists" sitting on the panel.
The only thing I really remember is the terrific performance by Brad Pitt.

post #30 of 85 Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
I did.

Big Bad = invisible plague that kills humanity
Same thing we have been seeing again and again.
Took it off my DVR Series Manager.
Thanks Oink... I'll give it a shot tonight after Helix...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming