America's Got Talent, Season 9 (2014) - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #121 of 309 Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I felt asleep during the 2nd judgement night. A whole bunch of singers of which I only remember the army private guy who's good. And they let the roller blader through, can't believe it. But at least the fake kung fu duo is out. The 1st judgement night is definatly better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I even lost track of who made it and who didn't... what a mess of a show last night..

I don't like these type of auditions, it's like doing them in a cemetery, too creepy with only 4 people in the auditorium or whatever that was.

The couple that made a mistake in their act, where she stands in the guy's head, they say they are broke and she's sporting a $50K ring easily.. mmmm (unless is c. Zirconia LOL)

Again, where's Smoothini?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #123 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM

I think they only showed the acts in the NY vincinity they sent thru directly. Smoothini was sent thru directly but wasn't show, same with the 100 kids sining group. Seems like 80% of the acts in judgement week got sent thru. I wish they'll drop the Gordon Ramsey rhetoric "I'm sorry but you are going to Radio City", it's getting really repetitive and they are not fooling any viewers with that.

I counted 15 of the 47 acts are singers or music groups and I think one of the singers is going to win it all these year again. But I do hope the winner is either an acrobat or a magician.
post #124 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

So I guess some contestants went back to their home towns while "judgement" week came and that's why they weren't shown, I guess a lot of time has passed for some so they can't afford to stay in NY, they wish NBC would pay for that LOL

post #125 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
they wish NBC would pay for that LOL
I often wonder who's paying for the trip of the 100 kid singing group or the military wives from last season. It's a lot of expenses just to put them on stage for one performance. NBC might be paying for a single act or a duo's trip. But for those big groups it's mind boggling how much money it'll cost to house them in NY for just a few days if they are not from that area.
post #126 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I often wonder who's paying for the trip of the 100 kid singing group or the military wives from last season. It's a lot of expenses just to put them on stage for one performance. NBC might be paying for a single act or a duo's trip. But for those big groups it's mind boggling how much money it'll cost to house them in NY for just a few days if they are not from that area.

Especially when everyone knows they won't win...

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #127 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Among the comedians, I'm glad Wendy Liebman and Dan Naturman got through.  While I'm not glad that Joe Matarese didn't, I do feel he didn't deserve to; but neither did Darik Santos, and he did.  Santos lost me during his audition, where he had one good joke (about the bananas) and then ruined it by repeating it to explain it.  That never worked for Jay Leno and it doesn't work for Santos either (and is his first name really spelled "Darik"?).

Still, Liebman was much funnier twenty years ago.  Marriage and stepmotherhood were not good for her comedy.

Can't remember which of the magician acts tried the tired old doesn't-fool-anybody gambit of keeping his own hand on the cards or whatever while the celebrity or the audience member says the word "STOP" (an essential staple last season for Collins Key, who depended on it), but oh, is that ever tired.  Try that same trick with the other person (unless it's a shill) actually physically pulling the card or fingering the page, and the trick fails.

Ah yes, David and Leeman got through without going to Judgment Week.  Really?  Their audition consisted of palming the extra name labels and of showing Mandel their cards at an angle where, because of lighting tricks or a polarized layer, wrong letters appeared.

I do not like Mara Justine Platt in the least.  First, she auditioned with the most hackneyed song choice possible for a female soloist; heck, it led to Bianca Ryan's win in Season 1 so female singers on AGT since then always think it will work magic.  We hear it in an audition many seasons, and surely it is used in who knows how many auditions that don't get onto the air.  Yes, it's a great song, and it put a Tony onto Jennifer Holliday's mantel and an Oscar onto Jennifer Hudson's, but it's had its day on AGT.  Second, the point of being amazed that an eleven-year-old girl can belt has long passed, and now we'd like to see eleven-year-old singers show additional skills besides belting alone.  They cut Grace Ann Gregorio (who is able to remember all three words of her name), and I find her singing far superior to Platt's, despite my preference for Platt's chosen genre over Gregorio's.

Finally, I'm relieved that Stern didn't make Dustin's Dojo into his own Big Barry.  When he gave them the Golden Buzzer he said its value was as a slapstick act, but even if you see things that way, the humor's worn thin.
post #128 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Same type of comedians made it like last year, the nerdy/quirky guy and the mature married woman, may I say at least one of them was doing comedy for years now?

post #129 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM

First of 4 elimination week and my personal guess in brackets.

Miguel Dakota, - Male Singer (No)
Julie Goodwin, - Female Singer (Probably depending on performance)
The Willis Clan, - Music Group (Goes through as viewers like cute families)
Emily West, - Female Singer (Probably dependnig on performance)

Jasmine Flowers, - Dance Group (technically excellent but not exciting, No)
Sean & Luke, -Dance Group (No)
Baila Conmigo, - Salsa Dance Group (Probably)

Dan Naturman, - Comedian (Likely will go thru as the only comedian of the week)
J.D. Anderson, - Strongman (No)
Valo & Bobby - Balancing Group (Likely go thru if no mishap)
David & Leeman.- Magician (Mind Reading) (Maybe depending on the trick)
Flight Crew Jump Rope, - Variety (No idea)
post #130 of 309 Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess the 48th spot is for the Today's show winner, right?

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9

post #131 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
An overall weak field this year. I've always been able to come up with a top 5, but this season is too difficult; I see it as wide open.

I like all of the magicians. I don't care how they do it, just so they impress, and they have all done that, IMO.

Emily West is the best singer, male or female. Very professional.

A huge fail from all of the comedians. But I guess you have to have a comedian advance.

I was critical of the military singer, Paul Ieti, that got all of the praise from the judges early on, but he was much better this time around. Still not good enough to win.

We have seen little from all of the performers, but if I had to pick a winner at this point it would be Emily West. Singers are always in the running to win on AGT.
post #132 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM

The Magicians are all smooth and great this year. But they all do small mind tricks or card magic. That might not translate well in the bigger stage.
post #133 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What's becoming my favorite (sarcasm) part of show is the judges banter when they say "are they really a million dollar act" about a pretty decent performer - then they push through people like the roller blade guy.

I still watch the show, but the formula has really gotten old.
post #134 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Magicians are all smooth and great this year. But they all do small mind tricks or card magic. That might not translate well in the bigger stage.
Yeah, I think Howard mentioned it. As much as I like card tricks, if that is all Smoothini and Franco have, I can't see them winning. You gotta go big.

I forgot to mention the piano protege. I can see him going far, but at some point he needs to stop the medleys and play songs in their entirety in order to be taken seriously.
post #135 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Yeah, I think Howard mentioned it. As much as I like card tricks, if that is all Smoothini and Franco have, I can't see them winning. You gotta go big.
I think the producers especially in the later rounds will coach the magicians to make their acts bigger with bigger props.

I'm not a big fan of the piano protege. He hasn't seriously played any pieces yet and was solely relying on his boyish exuberance charm. There are a lot better pianist at his age out there and his showmanship and bravado might not carry him too far into the competition.
post #136 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
What's becoming my favorite (sarcasm) part of show is the judges banter when they say "are they really a million dollar act" about a pretty decent performer - then they push through people like the roller blade guy.

I still watch the show, but the formula has really gotten old.

This should be the only question they ask from the start. It would sure help keeping us from wasting a lot of time watching bs acts that everyone knows ain't gonna win.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #137 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I think everyone knows the winner receives $25K for 40 years, or you can do a lump sum. So "a million dollar act" is misleading as far as I'm concerned.

I think this is hilarious.

Howard Stern exposes America's Got Talent scandal: Michael Grimm $1 million prize not due until 2050

Howard Stern says America's Got Talent has a dirty little secret when it comes to winner MIchael Grimm's supposed "million dollar" pay day.

Stern, who is an avid fan of the popular variety show style talent competition, said he stayed up late to watch the results of AGT and was pleased that singer Michael Grimm won the top prize.

"I felt good for the dude who won cause--his grandparents raised him. I don't know what happened to his parents. He had a pretty sad story. You could tell he had a hard life and they gave him the million bucks."

Stern wondered, though, about the AGT "fine print": "You know, I was reading the fine print at the end of that show. I think it's one of those shows where they do payouts of like forty thousand a year for like forty years or something?"

Unfortunately for Michael Grimm, the situation is grimmer still. The "fine print" at the end of America's Got Talent states: The prize, which totals $1,000,000, is payable in a financial annuity over forty years, or the contestant may choose to receive the present cash value of such annuity.

Howard Stern Show producer Gary "Baba Booey" Dell'Abate broke in with the official information stating that the million dollars was payable in annual installments of $25,000 over forty years. Booey noted that there was a "buyout" option which gave the winner an option to take a smaller lump sum all at once which Dell'Abate guessed was about $400,000.

"F--- you NBC," said Howard Stern when her heard the real stats. "And Nick Cannon's on there going 'This is the biggest contest prize of any on TV. F--- you NBC."

Booey added another sad but salient point: "That's assuming that NBC is still in business in forty years."
ambesolman likes this.
post #138 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM

I would take the discounted value at about $400K instead. There's no guarantee that I'll live another 40 years and much less likely that NBC will still be around that long.

Other than Jackie Evancho and Terry Fator, has AGT produced any million dollar act really? Jackie didn't win it all but at least AGT gave her the start.
post #139 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know what happened to Ray Jessel, the old man singing dirty songs? Doesn't seem like he got put through or a second audition. Hope all is well with him, greatly enjoyed his first performance.
post #140 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Booey noted that there was a "buyout" option which gave the winner an option to take a smaller lump sum all at once which Dell'Abate guessed was about $400,000.
There's also the pay that the winner gets for appearing on the AGT tour and in the Las Vegas run that fall, so it's a little more than that ... pretax.

Quote:
Booey added another sad but salient point: "That's assuming that NBC is still in business in forty years."
Quote:
There's no guarantee that ... NBC will still be around that long.
NBC doesn't have to be around.  The annuity company or its successor has to be around.  Besides, wouldn't the prize be awarded by Syco rather than NBC?  That said, at my age with no descendants, I'd also choose the lump sum.
post #141 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Lump sum minus taxes, maybe you end up like with $200K... still decent enough, but don't call it a million dollar act..

post #142 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Lump sum minus taxes, maybe you end up like with $200K... still decent enough, but don't call it a million dollar act..
For those giant singing groups that's like a couple grands each, perhaps not even enough to cover the travelling costs.
post #143 of 309 Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Lump sum is the only way to go. Depending on the State, that's around $300K. For most of the performers that could be a big boost to furthering their career. Not so much for the large groups, though. But I'd take it.

I find it funny that Howard blasted AGT and Nick about the million dollars before he got there, and now he repeats the same line with great pride. Money talks.
post #144 of 309 Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
An overall weak field this year. I've always been able to come up with a top 5, but this season is too difficult; I see it as wide open.

I like all of the magicians. I don't care how they do it, just so they impress, and they have all done that, IMO.

Emily West is the best singer, male or female. Very professional.

A huge fail from all of the comedians. But I guess you have to have a comedian advance.

I was critical of the military singer, Paul Ieti, that got all of the praise from the judges early on, but he was much better this time around. Still not good enough to win.

We have seen little from all of the performers, but if I had to pick a winner at this point it would be Emily West. Singers are always in the running to win on AGT.

I agree about Emily West. She has the "it" factor for me.
post #145 of 309 Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A huge fail from all of the comedians.
If only we had a time machine and Wendy Liebman of 1994 could compete instead of Wendy Liebman of 2014.
post #146 of 309 Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 PM

I have to say I was surprised by the performance of these 12 acts tonight in the 1st Quarterfinal.

The Bad:
David and Leeman: Age old sleight of hand trick that took too long to develop and too short to figure out.
Julia Goodwin: Stage freight perhaps, not her best performance.
JD Anderson: Still don't know what his act is about or why the judges like him
Sean and Luke: I notice the legs of the backup dancers more than their tap dancing.

The So So:
Flight Crew Jump Rope: OK act but I won't pay to see.
The Willis Clan: Love their rendition of Power of Love. A little too country for New York and the Eldest daughter was doing all the signing and work.
Jasmine Flowers: Beautiful execution but not exciting performance.
Dan Naturman: Good first joke but went downhill from there.

The Good:
Valo & Bobby: I gave them all my ten votes as they are true circus professionals. How they can go from here and improve their act is the big question?
Baila Conmigo: Bottomless engergy. It's a party on stage. The camera didn't do their act justice so I'll go with the audience reaction.
Miguel Dakota: A good song for him to sing but I think he just got lucky with this song choice.
Emily West: The true Wow moment of this show. I didn't like "Chandalier" much before but I'm getting it after hearing her singing it.
post #147 of 309 Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think Emily could win this, at least she was the best last night..

I also agree on Valo and Bobby, very well done..

post #148 of 309 Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Does anyone else have issues with the sound during vocal performances?

In my case, the sound is great until the singers start and the volume dramatically drops. Then when their done, it's back to normal again.
post #149 of 309 Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Baila Conmigo: Bottomless engergy. It's a party on stage. The camera didn't do their act justice so I'll go with the audience reaction.
My GF and I are on the same page as you on all of those, except this one. We just don't get it. Yes, they have a ton of energy, but they're not very good dancers. They're fast dancers. No fluidity, they're often not in sync, and they do the same things every time. They wouldn't make it past the first round of an actual salsa competition. But, yeah, they're flashy and "exciting". Guess they're just not for us...

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #150 of 309 Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
Does anyone else have issues with the sound during vocal performances?

In my case, the sound is great until the singers start and the volume dramatically drops. Then when their done, it's back to normal again.
Sound was fine for me...

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
america's got talent

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page