America's Got Talent, Season 9 (2014) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Really foolish to display the closing time for on-line voting as "12 PM Eastern"; many people insist that "12 PM" means midnight, and many others will wonder which interpretation Syco is thinking of.  Cannon said "noon" in his spoken instructions, clearing that up for people who were paying attention.

Last night we got Brown's first "off the chain" to make it out on the air; she also let loose a "disorientated" to keep up with Klum's "kaleidoscape."

Last edited by dattier; 07-30-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Either my TV sucks or local station bandwidth is low, during the Jasmine Flowers strobe light show I only could see pixels..

Do I need a 240HZ tv or call my local station?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Either my TV sucks or local station bandwidth is low, during the Jasmine Flowers strobe light show I only could see pixels..

Do I need a 240HZ tv or call my local station?
I think it was the broadcast. During Jasmine Flowers as well as the salsa dancers, everything got "soft" with a bit of pixellation for me, particularly during the crazy light show. I've never encountered that on other broadcasts or while watching fast-action Blu-Rays with lots going on.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Old 07-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Bad bad stage lighting design. When you shine the strobe light directly into the camera, you got bad pictures which was what we saw last night.
UVa Wahoo in WNC likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Bad bad stage lighting design. When you shine the strobe light directly into the camera, you got bad pictures which was what we saw last night.
I had wondered what it was with that strobbing in two acts. In both cases, I had to turn away from the screen, which really doesn't help appreciate those particular acts. Maybe that is why I didn't notice any pixelation or softness of the image ... I was looking at something far more comfortable for my eyes.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess the lighting guy is competing who is the worst on the show with the camera director...

Not only the strobe lights were bad, when the Willis finished I was blinded by the back light, on Miguel's performance also blinded.. maybe the floor is way to shiny it reflect too much light?

(doesn't help Nick Shoes you can see 4 of them instead of 2)

Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM

I don't get how David and Leeman got thru. It's a semi botched trick when they needed Howie to say "Wrong", "Many" and then "Camera-Ready". But Colins Key got to the final round of last year so what do I know. Going forward, they need to decide if their act is a comedy or magic act because it is low on the magic elements.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

I was glad to see Miguel Dakota make it through, but I was surprised that Dan Naturman (comic) made it through but the Willis Clan didn't.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't get how David and Leeman got thru. It's a semi botched trick when they needed Howie to say "Wrong", "Many" and then "Camera-Ready".
And did you notice that one of those magicians did say "camera ready" ("Is the camera ready?") at the setup of the trick when preparing to take the selfie? It was as if they were trying to plant a not-so-subtle hyphenated word into Howie's mind for when they would later give him the palmed piece of paper with the "camera-ready" hyphenated word on it.

Yes, that trick was pretty weak.

My very humble setup:
Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I completely agree with America's vote but I disagree with the judges selection. The jump rope team was pretty impressive and actually had talent, the dancers just do one dance and for us some of the kids look like they are flailing their feet around instead of crisp movements. Oh well, neither act would make it to the end so it doesn't really matter.

I think the female singer that sang chandelier was absolutely amazing. What a powerful voice, easily one of the best singers I have seen on a reality show in a long time, if not ever.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
4 out of 5.

I had the jump rope team over the magicians who had to pry the correct word out of Howie. Their routine was clumsily done and failed, IMO.

My favorite, Emily West, was the standout of the night. I do like Dan, the comedian, who is very comfortable on stage. Experience matters.

Those two aside, I had to struggle to come up with, what I consider, worthy acts. I expect this to continue.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder who got more popular votes, Baila or Jump Rope..... I would have Howard vote for Jump Rope and find out who the people liked most..

Again the lighting, they do want to blind us! (Enrique's act)

Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
And did you notice that one of those magicians did say "camera ready" ("Is the camera ready?") at the setup of the trick when preparing to take the selfie?
That's why I think David and Leeman are not good magicians. They obviously tried to tie "camera-ready" to taking selfie but that's hardly the point of this trick. They should have given Howie "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and told him to pick the longest word. The "biggest word" is no defined the same by everyone.

Miguel Dakota is this year's Jimmy Rose.

Dan Naturman could go far as he has the persona, he just needed the right material to go with.

I'm surprised by Willis clan not making it. They have a very polished act even if the result wasn't great.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it was disappointing that David and Leeman got through; their tricks have both been poor, obvious, and forced.  Tuesday night they didn't even know to say "longest word" and called it "biggest word" as they desperately prompted Mandel to read off the word they wanted from the planted piece of paper.  That's why Mandel picked "many"; it denotes a large quantity and was what he thought they meant by "biggest word."

Any trick involving a selection, supposedly made by the person to be amazed, where it's the illusionist's fingers on the items to select and the person to be amazed merely says orally which number to take or where to stop, such as the piece of paper in their trick this week, is so patently fake.  Collins Key depended on that last season and now D&L (no, they do not get extra points for spelling "and" out in the name of their act, nor do Valo & Bobby -- sad that they didn't get through -- or Sean & Luke lose any for using an ampersand) are pulling the same thing.  It's like a preteen female singer who auditions with "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" because it was Season 1 winner Bianca Ryan's audition song.  (Yes, I'm targeting Mara Justine I-can't-remember-that-my-last-name-is-Platt, but she's at least the third one over the years to copy that song, considering that not all auditions are broadcast.  Next week she'll be assaulting our ears while another with no surname, Juan Carlos, assaults our eyes.)

Sometimes I think it might be a good idea if viewers could cast negative votes against acts as well as positive ones; for every negative vote, one positive vote in favor of an act is removed.  Thing is, when it comes to ticket sales for the AGT stage shows in Las Vegas and the AGT tour, a person who buys no ticket out of apathy and a person who buys no ticket out of antipathy have identical effects on the balance sheet, so there's no motivation to distinguish between the two groups.

Remember David and Leeman's audition with the polarized cue cards?  Funny how Mandel got all the capital letters right, huh?  Conveniently, nobody tried handing him a newspaper and letting us see that he could read it just fine.  They aren't illusionists at all; they're bullskitters.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM

Mat Franco did the pre-printed photo of Howie holding the heart of 7 trick. That's almost the same as the D&L selfie trick. But at least Franco's delivery was smooth, confident and quick. That's what magicians are supposed to do to entertain people. D&L tried to straddle both comedy and magic and succeed at none.

Not a fan of Mara but next week's lineup looks pretty weak so she'll likely go through.

I have to file grievance on behalf of Valo and Bobby. They risked their lives to entertain us to just 30 seconds and I was throughly amazed. But they probably shouldn't have done the first balancing in the big hoop bit which wasn't great and just served to extend their act unneccessarily. The bicycle in the hoop act was the one I would pay to see.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Franco's audition consisted of fake-shuffling a pre-stacked deck, but at least he composed his story, memorized it, and prepared his stacked deck, and he kept the focus more on the results than on himself.  We'll see what he does for the quarterfinal.  Even the losing contestants on "Penn & Teller: Fool Us," which just premiered on the CW, were so so much better than AGT's crop of illusionists this year.  [David and Leeman, like Collins Key last season, leave me with the feeling that they're doing things they just read in a book -- or on-line -- that morning.]

I agree with Darklord700 that Platt doesn't deserve to go through but all too likely will.  At least next week's results show should be the last we see of Juan Carlos (unless there are judges’ returns this season and some goof on the panel gives him a second chance).

One act I'm looking forward to seeing next week is John & Andrew.  Their dances just break convention in so many ways, but they pull it off.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

I agree with Darklord700 that Platt doesn't deserve to go through but all too likely will.
Who is Platt?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
At least next week's results show should be the last we see of Juan Carlos (unless there are judges’ returns this season and some goof on the panel gives him a second chance).

After seeing Big Barry surviving many rounds 2 years ago, I will never give up hope of seeing more Juan Carlos after this week. Especially when even Stern had gone rogue at times this year.

Last edited by darklord700; 08-01-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

But America probably vote Juan Carlos in... yeah...

For me to vote for him? he must do some back flips or something amazing, perhaps skate over fire or something?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Who is Platt?
It's the family surname that "Mara Justine" thinks she's too cool to use.  I've referred to her as Mara Justine Platt a couple of times earlier in this thread.

Quote:
After seeing Big Barry surviving many rounds 2 years ago, I will never give up hope of seeing more Juan Carlos after this week.
Barry "Big Barry" Layne didn't survive any viewer voting rounds; he got as far as he did solely on judges’ pushes (at first Mandel and Stern, and then he lost Stern's backing IIRC), just as Piers Morgan did for Vivian "Rappin’ Granny" Smallwood in Season 1.
Quote:
Especially when even Stern had gone rouge at times this year.
Either you mistyped "rogue" or your TV's color needs adjusting.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Either you mistyped "rogue" or your TV's color needs adjusting.
My bad, it should be rogue.

So 4 weeks of 5 winners equals 20 and they probably let the judges each bring one back to make it 24. So another 2 weeks 12 acts each semi finals and a 1 week final, that'll bring us to the week of Sep 8 for the conclusion of this season. Seems rather early as last year the Final was during the 3rd week of September.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Wiki lists the finale on 9/17.

LOL, darklord; you did it again and caught yourself.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Old spelling dies hard, LOL.

They can probably slot in a 12 act redemption week in between to stretch it out to Sep. 17.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Superstar Emily West

Emily West is a star!

Very few artists have recorded cover songs that elevate the songs and redefine them in such a way as to steal ownership away from the originator.

Emily is the only artist I have witnessed achieve such a feat with a live performance!

Breathtaking!
WilliamR likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 PM

The 2nd quarter was rather underwhelming for the most part and here's my take.
The Bad:

Livy, Matt and Samy, Jacob Curlee: Very safe and uninspiring performances. With Jacob, the backup vocal was loud and sounded better than he did.

Darik Santos: Building your entire joke repertoire on double entendre got old very quickly.

Mara Justine: I'm afraid getting this kind of unwarranted attention at her tender age would encourage her to go down the same path and should not be seen at a good thing for her. She still just kept belting out every chance she got.

The So So:

Hart Dance Team: Really disappointed with this performance. Last time the camouflage dance was part dancing and part magic. This time it was just group dancing like every other group.

Matt Franco: Tried to go big but it was essentially the same trick he pulled last time. And this time without the smooth delivery to boot.

Loop Rawling: Don't know how far he can push the envelope on his Wild West stuff and this performance was not exciting.

Juan Carlos: Mildly entertaining because of the better production value and the energy. I see him as the other Will Hung and I would rate him higher than Big Barry.

The Good:

Aerial Animation: Very original but could she keep this going 2-3 more times?

John and Andrew: Wasn't a fan before but this dance changed my mind. The speed, power and precision exhibited were simply amazing, I gave them 5 of my votes.

Audrey Moraru: Wow, the best performance of the night. He should be the specimen of the male human body like the David sculpture. The grace, fluidity, strength and agility displayed here were simply breathtaking. I gave him the other 5 of my votes.

ACTE II: Not my favorite but couldn't find any flaw in their performance.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 468
[emoji42]

This show is doing less and less for me as time passes. I want to be wowed. The last act that did that for me was the guy that played the Earth Harp a few seasons ago. THAT I'd actually pay money to go see, not dog tricks for an hour.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My opinions about last night:

Andrey Moraru is to Christian Stoinev as Fred Astaire is to Gene Kelly.  They are impossible to compare to one another because their body types dictate their styles.

Mara Justine Platt's song choices are getting less clichéed and her dynamic range improving, but she still gets on my nerves, and prepubescent girls who belt lost their novelty value back in 1970s with Lena Zavaroni and Carrie McDowell.  I could sing loud myself back when I was a mezzo-soprano.  OK, so Platt is an alto, but so was I for a couple of months, and that included my Bar Mitzvah celebration.  Traditional congregation, microphones turned off on Sabbaths and Festival days, and nobody had any trouble hearing me loud and clear.

Darik Santos is not funny.  There were no good jokes in his set last night.  In his audition only the banana joke was worthwhile, and he didn't deliver it well.  To think that he's a quarter-finalist alongside Dan Naturman and Wendy Liebman is baffling.  Mandel trotted out "A comedian says funny things, a comic says things funny," but Santos has been doing neither.

Livy, Matt & Sammy made a big mistake by toning down a song that needs to be big and loud, just like Fanny in its lyrics.

But Abigail Baird (Aerial Animation) continues to entertain me, and John Narváez and Andrew Cervantes continue to amaze me (Baila Conmigo are getting repetitive).
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The PQ last night was outstanding! (not an avid watcher.)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
The PQ last night was outstanding! (not an avid watcher.)
Agreed on the PQ.

The cameras were in focus, and the camera director usually had us seeing the act instead of people's reactions during the act.

However, for the majority of the acts, the lighting director seems to be competing against the acts by having too much activity happening behind or around the acts and having the lighting highlight the backdrop or floor rather than framing the acts themselves.

These are the acts where I thought the lighting worked:

Hart Dance Team: the harsh light worked well with the "broken mirror" costumes and was probably choreographed with the dancers, taking creative control out of the lighting director's hands.

Loop Rawlins (wild west performer): Once the ring of fire was going, the reds on the backdrop kept the fire motif going but wasn't overpowering, probably because the fire around Rawlins kept him better illuminated than the backdrop.

Livy, Matt & Sammy (singers): With the lit up rustic wall behind them (I suspect they had brought that wall), and with them out of range of most of the stage lights, they were well-illuminated without distraction.

Aerial Animation: The fake lens flair during the intro looked really stupid (if you are going to have a lens flair, have something to flair off of!), but the actual act looked good, probably because the lighting director knew that any extra lights he would turn on would wash out the act.

Mat Franco (up-close magician): maybe it was the camera being tight on the magician and his big board rather than taking in the stage, but to me it seemed the attention was on the magician and the person the magician was interacting with, rather than the lighting director's light show.

That's 5 out of 12 acts where I thought the lighting worked, and in 3 of those 5 successes the lighting director didn't have free reign.

Hopeful but failed:

Jaycob Curlee (singer): the first closeup had him well framed with an illuminated face on a dark background, and he looked good. But once the switch to a wider view took place, you saw the competing lights on the backdrop, and later closeups had those attention-grabbing lights in frame.

Acte II (Singers): It started out with subdued background lighting, but when the song picked up, the lighting director upped the distracting background.

Hopefully at the next stage of elimination they will be somewhere where the lighting director knows to frame or highlight the acts instead of compete against them. (And maybe we can get a floor that isn't so reflective!)

As far as acts I liked:

I would like to see more of Livy, Matt & Sammy (singers). Last night's performance didn't seem to show the potential I think the three of them have.

I would also like to see more of Jaycob Curlee (singer).

I enjoyed Loop Rawlins but I would like to see if there are other things besides rope tricks.

I am a sucker for magic but Mat Franco somehow didn't quite deliver for me last night, but again I think he has good potential.

My very humble setup:
Old 08-06-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A magic trick of getting someone to pick a "seemingly" random card, that is then later in the trick revealed on a Board, painting, the internet, wriiten on a sealed note from an hour ago, glued to the wall, painted on the magician's undershirt, ect, has been done a million times .... I really was hoping for more with his act ..
Also, I'm sure he actually "played it safe" by Spray painting the 3 of diamonds over the 10 of spades .... 2 ways to present the trick ...
A- The way we saw it.
B - If his slight-of hand went wrong, & Heidi somehow didn't end up w/ the 10 of Spades, He simply could have "not" burned off the 3/diamd paper, & told the judges, something like "Wait, I know, I'm right, one of you DID pick the 3 of d", or " Heidi , I was confused because Howie also took a card, he picked The 3 of d ", & then go on to amaze them anyway by asking Howie to reveal it by looking in his pocket ...

Tags
america's got talent