Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 121 Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
NBC's running spots for it now.  Broadcasts will begin Tuesday, May 27.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Worst kept secret. A singer will win. And never be heard from again. wink.gifrolleyes.gif
post #3 of 121 Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Can't wait for the new season.

post #4 of 121 Old 04-19-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Worst kept secret. A singer will win.
Seasons 7 and 8 were won by non-singers.
Quote:
And never be heard from again.
Seasons 2's and 5's winners have been heard from since then (though season 5's runner-up has made more of an impact than that season's winner).
post #5 of 121 Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Quote:

Worst kept secret. A singer will win.
Seasons 7 and 8 were won by non-singers.

As was Season 2, the most successful winner so far.
post #6 of 121 Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

He was a singer, but not just a singer.
post #7 of 121 Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't forgetting Terry Fator, just allowing that singing is a major part of his act, unlike Olate Dogs or Kenichi Ebina.  Fator's thing is that he can impersonate a known vocalist's sound and style while operating a dummy and keeping his lips still.

You could put it the way Viventis did while I was typing this.
post #8 of 121 Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Quote:

He was a singer, but not just a singer.

He wouldn't have gotten past Round 1 with his singing talent alone. 99% of his talent was unrelated to his singing "skills."
post #9 of 121 Old 04-19-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He wouldn't have gotten past Round 1 with his singing talent alone.
No argument there; if he weren't also knocking out a damn good imitation of Etta James and operating the dummy, but just singing as Terry Fator, he might never have been invited to the Las Vegas round.
Quote:
99% of his talent was unrelated to his singing "skills."
I disagree with that figure, though, and with your quotation marks.  If he had done a straight speaking ventriloquist act without the singing and without the impressions, he also probably wouldn't have made it past round 1.

The most prominent ventriloquists of my childhood were, since I postdate Edgar Bergen's heyday, probably Paul Winchell, Señor Wences, and Arthur Worsley, none of whom sang in their acts, and Shari Lewis, who sang in the characters’ voices or in her own.  Fator's combination of both singing impressions and ventriloquism was a new one on me back in 2007.

So, when someone says that every year it's a singer who wins AGT, I wouldn't list Fator as an exception, just as Kevin Skinner's and Michael Grimm's guitar playing doesn't make them exceptions either.
post #10 of 121 Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, when someone says that every year it's a singer who wins AGT, I wouldn't list Fator as an exception,

If you truly mean that, I guess that he would be considered a philosopher, too. I'm through with this "discussion."
post #11 of 121 Old 04-20-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you truly mean that, I guess that he would be considered a philosopher, too.
Maybe he is, and maybe you are too, but whether he is or isn't, his win of AGT Season 2 didn't involve philosophy skills.
post #12 of 121 Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

If you truly mean that, I guess that he would be considered a philosopher, too.
Maybe he is, and maybe you are too, but whether he is or isn't, his win of AGT Season 2 didn't involve philosophy skills.

Point being, although his ventriloquist act involved some rudimentary singing skills, he was a ventriloquist - NOT a singer.
post #13 of 121 Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I stopped watching after Terry Fator won in season 2.

And after the belly dancers Kaya and Sadie (who were 'overflowing with talent' biggrin.gif as Howie Mandel so succinctly put it) got bounced (pun NOT intended) after reaching top 48.
post #14 of 121 Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Point being, although his ventriloquist act involved some rudimentary singing skills, he was a ventriloquist - NOT a singer.
As my earlier post tried to convey in just a few words, he is not just a ventriloquist, not just a singer, not just a comedian, and not just an impersonator. He is all of those things. That's why he is so successful in Vegas. By the way, he sings a song in his own voice in his Vegas act and he is a pretty good singer.
post #15 of 121 Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

As my earlier post tried to convey in just a few words, he is not just a ventriloquist, not just a singer, not just a comedian, and not just an impersonator. He is all of those things. That's why he is so successful in Vegas. By the way, he sings a song in his own voice in his Vegas act and he is a pretty good singer.
Agreed. Terry is multi-talented. It's the singers, the one-trick ponies, that I was referring to.
post #16 of 121 Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Why not let Terry explain what he does. smile.gif

Notice he didn't say he was a singer or a comedian, but a ventriloquist. Which is why, first and foremost, he is a ventriloquist who performs comedy and sings through his puppets. Very talented, indeed.

Here is hoping for a better season this year than last.

A squirrel has been eating my tomatoes, so I took my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling a tank. Most of the neighborhood is now gone, but that squirrel will no longer be eating my tomatoes.
post #17 of 121 Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. Terry is multi-talented. It's the singers, the one-trick ponies, that I was referring to.
Kevin Skinner and Michael Grimm played guitar as they sang; are you including them as one-trick ponies also?  That's not a challenge, and sorry if it sounds like one; I'm just trying to find out whether you count five or three of the past eight winners as such.
post #18 of 121 Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Season 9 premiere was tonight.  So far I've watched the first hour; probably won't get to watch the rest until tomorrow morning, so I'll comment now in order to get this thread bumped and will edit this post after watching the second hour.

First, what does the golden buzzer, or whatever it's called, accomplish?  Won't anyone passed through by only one judge just get cut in Las Vegas (or wherever the intermediate qualifying rounds will be held this season)?

Second, I was relieved to see the judges reject the act (whose name was not given) where one man drum-beat the shaved heads of the others, in contrast to last year, when heaven help us Tummy Talk was sent on to the live shows in New York.

Third, something was a little fishy when the judges treated Dan Naturman, who's been on television several times as a stand-up comedian, as a newcomer and a stranger.  I'm sure that at least Howie Mandel must have heard of him -- and must have heard him -- before.
post #19 of 121 Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

First, what does the golden buzzer, or whatever it's called, accomplish?  Won't anyone passed through by only one judge just get cut in Las Vegas (or wherever the intermediate qualifying rounds will be held this season)?

I'm not through the first hour yet, but I plan to finish viewing it tonight.

In the past each judge could call back any act that had been rejected on the first rounds and that would make more sense; after you had seen all the first rounds, you would have a better idea of who was the best deserving act that got cut; but if you have to use the golden buzzer you might let through one act just to see a better act later that got cut and then be unable to do anything about that.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #20 of 121 Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
All I can say is that I was also fooled on the next to last act... I had no idea...

But the show like always ended with the sob sob sob act.
Mark12547 likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #21 of 121 Old 05-28-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
.. Yes , it would seem that Stern would want to "save" his golden Buzzer for later rounds where harder choices will be made..
I understood during the act, that the Karate act / salt in the eye was right in line with Howard's WhackPack & he would like them ...
post #22 of 121 Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not really sure whether "once per judge" for the Golden Buzzer means once per season, once per city per season, or once per audition day.  After all, we'll never know how many presses of the buzzer were [metaphorically] left on the cutting room floor.

Edit: later, when I watched the rest of the premiere, that included the point where Cannon specified that it's one use of the Golden Buzzer per judge per season.
post #23 of 121 Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Not really sure whether "once per judge" for the Golden Buzzer means once per season, once per city per season, or once per audition day.  After all, we'll never know how many presses of the buzzer were [metaphorically] left on the cutting room floor.

At the end of the show Nick stated it is once for the season.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #24 of 121 Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Strong return for ‘America’s Got Talent’
NBC reality show posts a 3.0 in 18-49s in debut, down only 3 percent
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - May 28, 2014

Despite losing last year’s big lead-in from “The Voice,” “America’s Got Talent” held up very well.

The NBC reality show, which returned for its ninth season last night, posted a 3.0 adults 18-49 rating from 8 to 10 p.m., off only 3 percent from last year.

Considering how much other shows have dropped from last year this season, that’s a negligible dip. Last year “Talent” bowed to a 3.1, and got a 3.1 lead-in from “Voice.”

“Talent” became the top-rated show so far on broadcast this summer, which began last Thursday.

It also boosted new drama “The Night Shift” to a solid debut at 10 p.m., posting a 1.6, winning its timeslot easily.

Not so solid: Fox’s new reality show “I Wanna Marry ‘Harry,’” which slid to a dangerously low 0.4 at 9 p.m., down 43 percent from last week’s already-disastrous debut (0.7 behind “American Idol”).

“Harry” didn’t get much help from its 8 p.m. lead-in, improv show “Riot,” which posted a 0.6.

ABC’s “Extreme Weight Loss” premiered to a 1.3 from 8 to 10 p.m., up 8 percent from last summer despite facing “Talent.” And 10 p.m. lead-out “Celebrity Wife Swap” actually grew to a 1.2, up a third from last week’s series-low 0.9.

NBC was first for the night among 18-49s with a 2.5 average overnight rating and an 8 share. ABC was second at 1.2/4, CBS and Univision tied for third at 1.1/3, Telemundo was fifth at 0.6/2, Fox sixth at 0.5/2 and CW seventh at 0.3/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

At 8 p.m. NBC began the nightly sweep with a 2.7 for “Talent,” while ABC and CBS tied for second at 1.2, ABC for “Weight” and CBS for a repeat of “NCIS.” Univision was fourth with a 0.9 for “De Que Te Quiero, Te Quiero,” Fox fifth with a 0.6 for “Riot,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.5 for “La Impostora” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for a repeat of “The Originals.”

NBC increased its lead at 9 p.m. with a 3.2 for more “Talent,” with Univision and ABC tied for second at 1.4, Univision for “Lo Que La Vida Me Robo” and ABC for more “Weight.” CBS was fourth with a 1.1 for a rerun of “NCIS: Los Angeles,” Telemundo fifth with a 0.5 for “En Otra Piel,” and Fox and CW tied for sixth at 0.4, Fox for “Harry” and CW for a “Supernatural” repeat.

At 10 p.m. NBC was first with a 1.6 for “Shift,” followed by ABC with a 1.2 for “Swap.” Univision was third with a 1.0 for “Que Pobres Tan Ricos,” and CBS and Telemundo tied for fourth at 0.8, CBS for a repeat of “Person of Interest” and Telemundo for night two of the second season of “El Señor de los Cielos.”

NBC also finished first for the night among households with a 6.2 average overnight rating and a 10 share. CBS was second at 5.1/8, ABC third at 2.5/4, Univision fourth at 1.5/3, Fox fifth at 0.9/1, Telemundo sixth at 0.8/1 and CW seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/strong-return-americas-got-talent/

post #25 of 121 Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Quote:

Not really sure whether "once per judge" for the Golden Buzzer means once per season, once per city per season, or once per audition day.
At the end of the show Nick stated it is once for the season.
Yes, I learned that a few hours ago when I watched the rest of the premiere.  Stern really wasted his, IMO.
post #26 of 121 Old 05-29-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Great start! But we had a great couple of weeks at the beginning of last season so we know there will be those weeks that aren't so good.

The young dance couple that have been together for only four days, Blue Journey, were fantastic. Yes, we've seen these acts before, but considering the prep-time, that was very creative and one of the best I've seen on AGT. The difficulty will be in maintaining and expanding the act.

That keyboard prodigy is a wild little dude.

I thought the last act, the emotional one with the young kid singing, Jaycob Curlee, sounded a lot like Dave Mathews. That type of singer usually does well on AGT, so I expect to see him advance a few rounds.

That deception with Nick has to be one of the best bits ever on AGT. Everybody was fooled.

Looking forward to another exciting and frustrating season. Its AGT, what do you expect? smile.gif

A squirrel has been eating my tomatoes, so I took my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling a tank. Most of the neighborhood is now gone, but that squirrel will no longer be eating my tomatoes.
post #27 of 121 Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

We loved the child piano player that started the show. Wow he was good and funny as heck.

post #28 of 121 Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

We loved the child piano player that started the show. Wow he was good and funny as heck.

I was busy keep track of how often Heidi (and the others) changed clothes, only to reappear later in their original outfit. This shows how much the show is edited to meet the director's/producer's "agenda."
post #29 of 121 Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was busy keep track of how often Heidi (and the others) changed clothes, only to reappear later in their original outfit. This shows how much the show is edited to meet the director's/producer's "agenda."

Yeah, kinda hard to miss those changes. smile.gif The show has to be edited, there isn't any getting around that, so I don't have a problem with the director/editor doing what they need to do in order to make the show flow as well as possible. Placing Jaycob last also made sense.

post #30 of 121 Old 05-30-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The reason you see them with different outfits is because what you see is auditions from different days. And towards the end of the auditions, in past seasons, they have mixed auditions from different locations in the same episode. Like you have said, it is done to make the show flow the way the producers want.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
america's got talent

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page