When did the History Channel Stop Showing Historical shows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Tonight I went into the T.V. guide looking for a historical documentary. I checked the History Channel, History Channel two and the Military Channel. Not ONE of these networks had a historical documentary. Instead the 3 channels ENTIRE programming for tonight was reality shows such as Pawn Stars. When exactly did these channels stop showing historical documentaries and why do they carry the name History Channel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
And this is but many reasons I quit paying for TV 7 1/2 years ago. Anybody heard of a fellow named Newton Minow? In the Early 1960s he called TV "One big vast wasteland" Today his "Wasteland" would seem like a PARADISE compared to what's being passed off as 'Programming. mad.gif
post #3 of 62 Old 04-27-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

And this is but many reasons I quit paying for TV 7 1/2 years ago. Anybody heard of a fellow named Newton Minow? In the Early 1960s he called TV "One big vast wasteland" Today his "Wasteland" would seem like a PARADISE compared to what's being passed off as 'Programming. mad.gif
And when did the NGC, TLC, Discovery, etc. stop being about nature or science?
Don't get me started here about their hillbillies wrestling gators, behind prison walls, eating insects, ad nauseum programming....mad.gifmad.gif
Scott Simonian likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It must have been a long time since you last tuned in to those channels.
post #5 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Especially since Military Channel stopped existing a couple of months ago.

It's American Heroes now.

But it still has shows about Hitler and Jesus. Network channel names mean nothing now.

post #6 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 224
Yep it's been years since a lot of these channels' names had anything to do with what they show. TLC was one of the prime offenders in my book, although they stopped calling themselves 'The Learning Channel' years ago. They really should be known as TSC now (The Stupification Channel).
post #7 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 377
Whenever a new channel appears or an old one is branded with a new niche-specific name, you can count the days until they completely abandon their primary mission and start throwing any old ratings-grabbing junk at the screen.

Spike was one of the best rebrandings I can remember. Since their name means nothing they can do whatever they want and never contradict their message. Other networks should take note.

The list of other networks that decided to off-mission grows every year now. TLC (as mentioned), AMC, IFC, Weather, Headline News, MTV, BBC America, Science, Nat Geo, investigation ...

It's impossible to keep up.

post #8 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I used to watch the history channel after getting home from school in about 2005-2006. They still showed mostly documentaries then.

post #9 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Way back when there were no small dishes and we couldn't get cable I bought a 10' C-band dish and the 1st channel I ordered was The History Channel, I loved it.
post #10 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

They really should be known as TSC now (The Stupification Channel).
Nice one.biggrin.gif.......frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Whenever a new channel appears or an old one is branded with a new niche-specific name, you can count the days until they completely abandon their primary mission and start throwing any old ratings-grabbing junk at the screen.
My favorites (besides hillybilly hullabaloo) are the UFO, Sasquatch, Ghost, Monster Hunting shows....rolleyes.gif
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #11 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
History Channel just had a well done episode on the people of Germany and how their everyday lives were under the Nazis.
post #12 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Considering history has been replaced by more important garbage, and its obvious these shows are being pulled out of their rear, they could rename it The Hysterectomy Channel and no one would notice the difference.
post #13 of 62 Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

History Channel just had a well done episode on the people of Germany and how their everyday lives were under the Nazis.

Which I started to watch, but changed the channel the moment I saw "stretchy vision". I just cannot stand it. If your source is 4:3 film, crop it... or even better display it as 4:3 with black boxes ... nevermind black bars have become illegal or something on American TV.
post #14 of 62 Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

I just cannot stand it. If your source is 4:3 film, crop it... or even better display it as 4:3 with black boxes ... nevermind black bars have become illegal or something on American TV.

The Disney Channel HD feed, at least late at night (when I occasionally watch it), is not afraid to have pillar bars.

Our ABC affiliate televised the Easter Beagle with pillar bars on the HD feed. However, in their newscasts when they have footage that is narrower than 1.78:1, they replicate the image, out of focus, to where the pillar bars belong, and I wish they would just use pillar bars.

And the SyFy Network does show The Twilight Zone with pillar bars on their HD feed. (I sometimes have to look for the channel logo to see if I am watching The Twilight Zone on SyFy (HD) or on MeTV (SD, so MeTV always has pillar bars, and sometimes window boxing).

On the other hand, there are shows on Daystar (SD only on our Comcast cable) that are squished, like squeezing 1.78:1 in to 1.33:1, because there are a few shows where people are way unnaturally skinny, including their heads, and that bothers me. At least TBN will letterbox into their SD signal, resulting in the correct aspect ratio but with window boxing on my 1.78:1 TV.

And, by the way, sometimes a channel will accidentally show what its name implies, e.g.,

SyFy (formerly SciFi): The Twilight Zone,Metal Hurlant Chronicles, the monster-of-the-week (monster-of-the-weak?) movies

Discovery: MythBusters (when in season)

History: they had some JFK specials last fall, didn't they?

H2: America Unearthed (when in season)

And I was surprised when last night I surfed over to the Weather Channel (HD) and I saw ... weather! They even had local info running in the right quarter of the screen!

Now I usually don't notice pillar bars, but distorting people just isn't right!

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #15 of 62 Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47

The History Channel cannot allow itself to show true history. That could interfere with the channel's real purpose, which is to keep viewers from thinking about the ways in which the culture of the nation has declined and how politicians have embraced that decline over the past 30 years.

post #16 of 62 Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

The History Channel cannot allow itself to show true history.

On the other hand, on Pawn Stars on The History Channel they often talk about the history of an object or surrounding an object that someone is trying to pawn or sell.

For example, you never know when you will need the weapons hidden inside a portable gambling kit! :D;):D:rolleyes::D

But, alas, that is all the history I currently get from The History Channel. At least on H2 I can get a good dose of conspiracies (e.g., America's Book of Secrets and Hangar 1).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #17 of 62 Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
the last straw was science channel going ufos and aliens all day, all the time

neflixis our nemesis
post #18 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

I just got a different car and it has a SiriusXM radio tuner, which is something I never had in a car before. I went online and got a free two month trial. Being a big Springsteen fan, I was excited to check out E Street Radio. Being accustomed to non-relevant programming on satellite TV, I figured I would be hearing Madonna, Metallica, Shakira, just about anything BUT Springsteen.

Imagine my surprise when I found that E Street Radio actually plays Springsteen songs! What a novel idea!
post #19 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
So if everyone is getting increasingly dissatisfied with what is happening to their channels, why keep paying for it? Does the good still outweigh the bad regardless of cost?
post #20 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

So if everyone is getting increasingly dissatisfied with what is happening to their channels, why keep paying for it? Does the good still outweigh the bad regardless of cost?

does your sat/cable provider allow you ala carte or not place these (many referenced above) channels in base tier?

you pay for the cr@p to get the (dwindling) stuff you still want. pretty simple.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #21 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't pay for television (no cable/sat) so I'm wondering if the cost/benefit of pay-tv is diminishing to the point of no return.
post #22 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Right now where I am living Cable is included at no charge. However If I ever have to start paying for it i would drop the service and just buy an antenna. I happen to live in a major metropolitan area where I can get over 40 channels. I agree with you cable is not worth paying for

post #23 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I don't pay for television (no cable/sat) so I'm wondering if the cost/benefit of pay-tv is diminishing to the point of no return.

I'd say if you were in it for 'educational' content. yes. for actual 'news'. yes.
If you want sports, it's still easily the only real option.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #24 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Sports and HBO.
post #25 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I could certainly see sports. But even then, those packages seem to be getting more and more expensive as the networks work their deals with the various leagues. Someone has to pay. If they don't get you with ticket prices and parking at the venues, then they get you in your living room.

HBO? I've heard there are ways around that, at least for HBO Go.
post #26 of 62 Old 04-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think there are several reasons why a lot of people keep subscribing to cable TV service despite the price increases and the decline in the quality of the programming on many of the non-premium channels.

Cable TV is still generally more reliable than OTA reception. Putting up an outdoor antenna can be a bit of a hassle.

And setting up a wireless network for streaming content from an internet service such as NetFlix is not something everyone wants to fuss with, especially people who are older and remember the simple days when you just attached the TV set to the cable jack in the wall and didn't even have to mess with a set-top box.

Also, the cable companies have strongly pushed the bundling of services, especially the "Triple Play" deals where TV service is bundled with phone and internet service. If you have one of those bundled deals and decide to drop the TV service, then the price for the other two services rises, and you wind up not saving all that much.

Nayan likes this.
post #27 of 62 Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Because if I didn't pay for the crap, I wouldn't get the good stuff on AMC, TCM, HDNET Movies, FX, USA and TNT and, surprisingly, Syfy (which is actually now showing more SciFi than when they called themselves that).

The fact is, many of the crap channels taking in less than $0.50 a month per subscriber. Some less than $0.25.

What that means is, even if I could Ala Carte them out of my bill, I'd likely save no more than $8-$10. The channels I want are the dollar and up channels.

In my situation, it would be like asking to buy Cracker Jacks without the cheap prize inside in some hope of getting a reduced price. The problem is, that's not going to happen. The value of what I don't want isn't high enough to alter things that much.

Further, anything that makes more work for the providing company would undoubtedly initiate a fee that would balance out the cost. I'd end up paying the same without getting the the rub on "Jack" tattoo.
Nayan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 62 Old 05-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Because if I didn't pay for the crap, I wouldn't get the good stuff on AMC, TCM, HDNET Movies,...

Oh, yes. AMC, American Movie Classics, is yet another example of a non-premium cable channel departing from its original premise but retaining the same name as when the channel was originally launched.

Now AMC has far fewer movies than it used to have. Instead, it fills its programming hours with original programming about zombies and peddlers of illegal drugs.

At least TCM still remains true to its founding premise.

Cable channels that forsake their original premises are misleading cable subscribers.

That would be as if PBS started showing a program called "The French Chef", but the host made only sushi and enchiladas.

post #29 of 62 Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
What's worse is the Science channel and and Nat Geo showing fake documentaries about mermaids "discovery"
post #30 of 62 Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

What's worse is the Science channel and and Nat Geo showing fake documentaries about mermaids "discovery"
Don't get me started.....rolleyes.gif

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page