'Last Week Tonight' on HBO - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I thought the first episode was amazing and hilarious, coupled with high production value (for a news parody show anyways) from HBO. What'd you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would agree.

CW Hinkle
post #3 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I enjoyed it but it felt a bit too much like The Daily show. I agree with other reviews I've read that it felt a bit too rushed also, plus it should have been an hour. John is good at stand up, enjoyed his stand up show on CC, and an opening monologue of some sort would have been welcome. Come out, wander around the new set, get a few shots of the audience, have a guest and do all the content they did, in an hour format.

HBO may feel people are not up for an hour show on Sunday night, fine - move it to Saturday.
post #4 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I liked it. Not a fan of the mess of buildings behind him though. The Lisa Loeb song/skit was great. I agree that an hour long show would be possibly be better.

On a sidenote, it appears that CBS had offered John the Late Late Show job around the time HBO was wooing him. Selfishly I would have preferred he took the CBS gig so I could watch him nightly.
billmich likes this.
post #5 of 77 Old 04-29-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I enjoyed it but it felt a bit too much like The Daily show. I agree with other reviews I've read that it felt a bit too rushed also, plus it should have been an hour. John is good at stand up, enjoyed his stand up show on CC, and an opening monologue of some sort would have been welcome. Come out, wander around the new set, get a few shots of the audience, have a guest and do all the content they did, in an hour format.

HBO may feel people are not up for an hour show on Sunday night, fine - move it to Saturday.

Yeah, I can see where people are coming from, and Bill Maher pulled it off with the full ~55minute show. I like the ~28minute HBO format a lot more than the CC ~22 minute format. I also liked that Last Week Tonight was mostly John Oliver (like the first part of the Daily Show) with only a little bit of the guest (like the second part of the Daily Show).

That being said, I was still laughing a lot harder than I usually do at Colbert or Stewart... I also wish that it was on a bit earlier, but the really good slots are used up to GoT, Silicon Valley (another favorite of mine) and Veep (which I want to get into, but I have to watch Seasons 1 and 2). I think I'll enjoy it on Mondays, as right now I have no news shows until 9 on Mondays (The Rachel Maddow Show), whereas during the rest of the week, I have TRMS, Daily Show, Colbert Report or Realtime from the night before if I'm in the kitchen or whatever. I'm not sure I can stay up that late on Sunday nights to actually sit in front of the TV and watch it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I liked it. Not a fan of the mess of buildings behind him though. The Lisa Loeb song/skit was great. I agree that an hour long show would be possibly be better.

On a sidenote, it appears that CBS had offered John the Late Late Show job around the time HBO was wooing him. Selfishly I would have preferred he took the CBS gig so I could watch him nightly.

Really? I like the HBO format. I don't watch the network late night shows. HBO is really on a roll. It's interesting to see all the talent coming out of The Daily Show. The big question I have is who will backfill Colbert's slot on CC. It also says something that some of the best journalism on TV are on comedy and "fake news" shows...
post #6 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 812
For a first episode I thought the writing was very strong. Where it fell down and tripped over it's Daily Show heritage was in the NSA segment. It's a widely covered subject by comedy and news media and while Oliver did some funny bits with it the topic still felt old and unoriginal.

If the show is going to separate itself from Comedy Central then a strong focus on world news and lesser known US stories would be the way to go. Anything else and Colbert and Stewart will have got there days before.

Overall though it makes for HBO's strongest Sunday night in a very long time.

post #7 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Which as I said in the other thread leaves Oliver open to keep doing far more projects. Like The Bugle podcast he has been doing for years and I get the idea Last Week takes some topical inspiration from.

post #8 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Which as I said in the other thread leaves Oliver open to keep doing far more projects. Like The Bugle podcast he has been doing for years and I get the idea Last Week takes some topical inspiration from.
Yes, like the bit on the election in India which was originally on The Bugle.
post #9 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:

Yes, like the bit on the election in India which was originally on The Bugle.

Thought it might be. I haven't listened to the podcast for a while but saw the election in the episode list from last week.

post #10 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thought it might be. I haven't listened to the podcast for a while but saw the election in the episode list from last week.
The HBO version was still interesting if you'd already heard The Bugle bit, it wasn't word for word. I wonder if Oliver will have Andy as a guest, that would be fun! biggrin.gif
post #11 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Zaltzman appears as show regular. In fact I'm slightly surprised HBO didn't just make a TV version of The Bugle. They've done it before.

Maybe Oliver didn't want the two to overlap 100%.

post #12 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't even realize he had a podcast. I'm glad he's bringing some of that content to a larger audience!
post #13 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I didn't even realize he had a podcast. I'm glad he's bringing some of that content to a larger audience!
Yup, it's been running for several years now. Some of the stuff is downright side-splittingly funny!

https://soundcloud.com/the-bugle

http://thebuglepodcast.com/
post #14 of 77 Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Zaltzman appears as show regular. In fact I'm slightly surprised HBO didn't just make a TV version of The Bugle. They've done it before.

Maybe Oliver didn't want the two to overlap 100%.
I just hope the HBO show doesn't creatively drain the Podcast, the podcast is great and it looks like the show is a winner as well so hopefully it won't be an issue.
post #15 of 77 Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good to see that John achieved his goal this week. biggrin.gif

@iamjohnoliver
Whoops. It seems that you've all crashed part of the FCC website. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

post #16 of 77 Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good to see that John achieved his goal this week. biggrin.gif

@iamjohnoliver
Whoops. It seems that you've all crashed part of the FCC website. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Apparently a lot of the traffic was driven off of Reddit, so no one's really sure who crashed it.
post #17 of 77 Old 06-22-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #18 of 77 Old 06-23-2014, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 52
When I heard he had his own show I was automatically in no question.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #19 of 77 Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[QUOTE=BiggAW;24660719

Yeah, I can see where people are coming from, and Bill Maher pulled it off with the full ~55minute show. I like the ~28minute HBO format a lot more than the CC ~22 minute format. I also liked that Last Week Tonight was mostly John Oliver (like the first part of the Daily Show) with only a little bit of the guest (like the second part of the Daily Show).

That being said, I was still laughing a lot harder than I usually do at Colbert or Stewart... I also wish that it was on a bit earlier, but the really good slots are used up to GoT, Silicon Valley (another favorite of mine) and Veep (which I want to get into, but I have to watch Seasons 1 and 2). I think I'll enjoy it on Mondays, as right now I have no news shows until 9 on Mondays (The Rachel Maddow Show), whereas during the rest of the week, I have TRMS, Daily Show, Colbert Report or Realtime from the night before if I'm in the kitchen or whatever. I'm not sure I can stay up that late on Sunday nights to actually sit in front of the TV and watch it...
QUOTE]

I just cut my satellite programming down to the most minimum channels and, of course, no premium channels. The only two shows I am really in withdrawal over are "Last Week Tonight" and "Bill Maher".
post #20 of 77 Old 07-07-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
I just cut my satellite programming down to the most minimum channels and, of course, no premium channels. The only two shows I am really in withdrawal over are "Last Week Tonight" and "Bill Maher".
Yeah, I barely watch most of the cable channels anymore, except for heavy usage during the winter for sports. But sports and HBO keep me well tethered to "the cord".
post #21 of 77 Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 108
After Oliver's brilliant stint subbing for John Stewart on CC I knew he would be a hit on HBO, especially with no censorship issues to deal with. He has definitely lived up to my expectations.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #22 of 77 Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
After Oliver's brilliant stint subbing for John Stewart on CC I knew he would be a hit on HBO, especially with no censorship issues to deal with. He has definitely lived up to my expectations.
I think he's doing a lot better than even on the Daily Show now that he has his own format.
post #23 of 77 Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
it appears that CBS had offered John the Late Late Show job around the time HBO was wooing him. Selfishly I would have preferred he took the CBS gig so I could watch him nightly. [IMG]http://*******/Prn9DS[/IMG]
post #24 of 77 Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Was he on this week? What is his new day and time?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #25 of 77 Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No news happens on a holiday weekend, so he's back this Sunday at the usual time.

post #26 of 77 Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
No news happens on a holiday weekend, so he's back this Sunday at the usual time.

Thanks. I thought that, but then I thought I read something about him moving to Mondays. I'm amazed by how hooked I am on this show. Can't really put a finger on why I enjoy it so much other than he's very likeable. I mean, he's brilliant a lot of the time. but some of his stuff doesn't always work-its very hard to describe his appeal when I'm urging friends to check him out. Its just: "check him out, you'll see what I mean." And so far everyone who has, has gotten hooked too.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #27 of 77 Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
That's what you think! John did an exclusive web episode to cover the major news event of the weekend -- fireworks.

VisionOn likes this.
post #28 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For a first season Last Week is doing amazingly well, both in content and marketing. It's fun to see the hashtags and memes appearing all over the internet. When I saw a gecko story anywhere this week I knew someone would eventually #gogetthosegeckos and kudos to HBO for allowing full segments online.
acebreathe likes this.

post #29 of 77 Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I feel LWT is currently biggest bang for the buck on TV. John Oliver's LPM (laughs per minute) has got to be higher than anyone currently on the air.
Ph8te likes this.
post #30 of 77 Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"We're gonna stop a burglary at Little Caesars! We're gonna stop a burglary at Little Caesars!"

Keenan and Ph8te like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming