So You Think You Can Dance, Season 11 on FoxHD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Okay I know lots of people are fond of following ratings on AVS and they are a big part of discussion. But I've got to be honest. I have no context for what these numbers mean. 1.7. Great! Is that on a 5 points scale? 10 point? What's the best of the best show on TV get vs. the worst of the worst?

Basically, someone mind giving me a 2-3 sentence lesson on these ratings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
Basically, someone mind giving me a 2-3 sentence lesson on these ratings?
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/numbers-102/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/demystifying-the-s/

Last edited by Charles R; 06-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

/tip my hat

much obliged.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I do not see any drop-off of talent in the dancers during the auditions this season, and am in full quiver for the season. News that there will be no saves after the top ten and only one winner are both welcome here although I do like as many accolades and as much monetary reward as possible for these hard working and ill paid artists.

Are there any rumors about the choreographers who will be doing the show, and especially any news if Wade Robson has overcome his troubles and will honor the viewers with his work?

As a personal observation, the dance crew segments are a total waste of valuable SYTYCD time and even more so since that time has been truncated so severely. If the crews had anything to offer, it certainly has been lost with the drastic editing and the chopped & splicy bits thrown out there. The entire dance crew segment should be chopped.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
The entire dance crew segment should be chopped.
Obviously, they aren't meant for us. Rather another demographics. Now if they are working I couldn't say but I can say the last couple of "Bieber" segments I fast-forwarded through (I watched the last two episodes back to back... catching up). Which is extremely rare for me. My mantra is watch the entire show or delete the series from the DVR schedule.

Last edited by Charles R; 06-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do not see any drop-off of talent in the dancers during the auditions this season, and am in full quiver for the season. News that there will be no saves after the top ten and only one winner are both welcome here although I do like as many accolades and as much monetary reward as possible for these hard working and ill paid artists.

Are there any rumors about the choreographers who will be doing the show, and especially any news if Wade Robson has overcome his troubles and will honor the viewers with his work?

As a personal observation, the dance crew segments are a total waste of valuable SYTYCD time and even more so since that time has been truncated so severely. If the crews had anything to offer, it certainly has been lost with the drastic editing and the chopped & splicy bits thrown out there. The entire dance crew segment should be chopped.
You seem to have a lot more insider information than I'm aware of. Where do you find things out like the no saves and one winner? And what's going on with choreographers. Just curious...

I agree with the group stuff. It's a waste. I noticed this week that the first group had this kid in their interview scenes but nothing they showed of them dancing showed him in action. And at the end of the show, they were trounced in the twitter standings.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
You seem to have a lot more insider information than I'm aware of. Where do you find things out like the no saves and one winner?
Just google "so you think you can dance season 11 format". Nigel apparently announced the format changes in telephone conference.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I do not see any drop-off of talent in the dancers during the auditions this season, and am in full quiver for the season.
Same here. There was an awful lot of talent on display during the auditions and it looked like a fair number of ballroom couples made it through. Ballroom dancers have always done very well on the show and many have gone on to work on DWTS. I think that this is going to be an outstanding season. It was nice to see Jenna Dewan Tatum on the show last week. She is an excellent dancer and I believe that she and Channing met when they were filming the first Step Movie (he moves very well also).
Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I caught the top twenty this evening and my first take is this year the dancers are more mature (physical presence). Show wise I'm not sure it's good for ratings but I'm guessing the dancers will have a better shot at getting work.

Last edited by Charles R; 06-25-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Except for Yaya (however you spell her name) all the people I wanted to make it through did. Some of the people who are through to the top twenty I don't remember seeing at all through the auditions, but I guess that's normal.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Color me a little disappointed in how highlight-y the Callback Week episode felt. Didn't feel like we got to know hardly anyone except the dude whose gf had the baby. I was surprised at a couple early cuts, including the guy who lost his dad and the other guy they cut with him who Nigel said had the best audition solo. I will say I figured that the last guy who made the cut (with the scar and never wears a shirt) would get in because he was constantly shown the entire two hours.

I really don't understand what goes through some of the auditioner's minds when they try to be on this show. I believe the judges said it in the first round. This is a choreographed, partner based talent show. You might be amazing at what you do, but there is much much more to this show. And if you get cut, hey, it's just one audition in a long line you are going to have as a performer.

I, too, think it is an interesting top 20, a little different than before. Very ballroom heavy. And if I remember right, not much cultural diversity. For instance, I do not think there were any black females. Two black guys. And everyone else is white American? No girl really stood at to me as memorable from auditions. In a good way, at least. The weeping girl, who lost her dad when she was 12, was getting a little tiring with her 'this is for daddy', 'daddy was my partner', cry cry cry. Sorry to sound like an insensitive prick, but after two hours of her, it was really getting thick. Other than that, I would say probably Marques will be a front-runner and possibly the guy who got back into the top 20 this year after having to leave the show last year.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The So You Think You Can Dance website is pretty poor in the sense that currently there is no gallery of the top twenty that I could locate. Too bad because I need some help sorting out the keepers. Lots of photos of judges though.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
The So You Think You Can Dance website is pretty poor in the sense that currently there is no gallery of the top twenty that I could locate. Too bad because I need some help sorting out the keepers. Lots of photos of judges though.

http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/so...ers-53804.aspx

ron
Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, from this:

Spoiler!

(Lord only knows why the board software choose to do what it did with that code ).

So
  • 3 ballroom guys, 3 ballroom girls,
  • 2 hip-hop guys, no hip-hop girls,
  • 3 contemporary guys, 3 contemporary and 1 jazz girl,
  • 1 tapper guy, 1 tapper girl and
  • no ballet guys, 2 ballet girls.

Two black American guys, all the rest white American kids except for the sizzling hot Marlene Ostergaard, a Danish woman.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Every season is different and we do not see all of the audition stuff (I am still not sure why the don't release the footage online) so I assume this is how the process shook out. Having that many girls who will look so similar on stage seems like killing blow to their chances of winning. Maybe it says more about the state of dance in this country than the casting process.

That aside the contemporary kid who kicked of the final solo rounds was amazing bordering on grotesque and if he did not keep the control of his movements it would look one of those bad auditions they put on to make fun of. I do not think I have seen anything like that from someone with that dance style.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It looks like an interesting Top 20 but I was very surprised that Megan Marcano, the exotic looking girl who had been on her own since the age of 12 didn't make it. She seemed to have everything that the show looks for. They didn't show her during last night's show so it's hard to make a judgement on how well or poorly she danced. It was nice to see McKenzie, Amy and Anya back last night. Nigel and the production company do take care of their "babies".
Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
...That aside the contemporary kid who kicked of the final solo rounds was amazing bordering on grotesque and if he did not keep the control of his movements it would look one of those bad auditions they put on to make fun of. I do not think I have seen anything like that from someone with that dance style.
I think you are discussing Ricky Ubeda, an 18 year old contemporary dancer from Miami, who I had not noticed until that solo you mention. Numerous moves he made were inventive to the max and executed perfectly. As you note, had he been off just a little a disaster was waiting. He was truly dancing on the edge and pulled it off. He moved to the top of my list, and I bet Sonya is drooling.

In going through the scroll of the top twenty above (thanks R11!), I saw several I missed during the prelims and others I remember impressing. I remain eager.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

In checking on Ricky Ubeda, the Dabble Guy, at YouTube, I found that he has numerous videos there mostly from local competitions. He is certainly very accomplished at his young age in his specialty, contemporary. I hope he has more than "dabbled" in other forms.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
This blog site has a nice recap of the top 20 with photos.

I couldn't help but notice during the contemporary day for the callback show, when Travis Wall and Mackenzie Dustman were the choreographer/teachers, that really Mackenzie just is NOT a very good dancer. Attractive, yes (same as got me started last season) but a very good dancer... not so much.

Also, during the original audition show, and then during the callback show, I kept staring at this season's Marquett Hill (he's in the top 20) because he looked so familiar. Actually, he's not truly "famous", but once again (like with Mackenzie last season) in my mind he looks like another "separated at birth" situation where in my mind he closely resembles a TV/movie actor named Erik Dellums. Both are very tall and lean, and honestly look very much alike especially in the forehead area.

Marquett Hill:

Erik Dellums (from Season 2 of "The Wire", and also the Columbian drug doctor on last season's "Homeland"):

Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, they have a list of contestants up at http://www.fox.com/dance/ , at the bottom of the top page, with their answers to a little questionaire.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No discussion of last night's show yet? Huh. Sonya's Contemporary routine was pretty cool, but Nigel hyped it to death. I liked the guard-and-janitor Hip-Hop piece and the Tap routine. None of the others stand out in my memory--I'll have to watch it again.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I had some weird audio issues, like the audio channel was peaked. I'm guessing that's from my local affiliate, but it was really annoying to listen to the static all night.

The first ballroom dance stood out to me, as well as the Sonja piece. And I always LOVE LOVE LOVE Staci Tooki pieces. So so good. I found the ballerinas unremarkable; they even got out of sync at one point. I know that's hard to do, but hey... this is a competition. No votes for them. I did not give Rudy any votes but did his partner; and votes for Emilio but not the other hip hop guy. I think other than that, I voted by pairs. Well, bottom line, I gave two votes each to who I felt were my top 10.

The Fox Now App worked fine, though I hate having to connect my FB account. You have to agree to give them your name, profile info, and email. I could vote as I watched and it saved them. Which might be why they didn't do a recap at the end? I was actually counting on that because I had forgotten one girl. Oh and it was really awkward when the judges thought they had to fly through their review then went too fast, so Cat had to then stall. Come on, we've been doing this for 11 seasons. Can we be a little more professional than that? Not hearing thorough judging critique could hurt those two dancers.

Great to allow them to start in their own styles. Read to have it mixed up next week. Onward and upward!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I got started watching it VERY late, and only made it through the first three numbers after the group number. So I really don't have any comments yet... other than to observe that Nikki Parsons is again credited as Director. So Nigel must only have been doing this during audition season.

except for...

If anybody here "does the Twitter thing", will you PLEASE twitter Nigel and tell him that the SQUEALING AND SCREAMING AUDIENCE MAKES THE SHOW UNWATCHABLE!! It's worse than "The Voice" now.

Just because a dancer turns around, that's no reason for the audience to go into hysterical squealing and hyper-ventilating! Just because a male dancer is on the stage is no reason to lose your mind and fall down panting and screaming and squealing!

Even Nigel himself made such a comment, when he admitted "the audience was making so much noise I couldn't hear the music". SO TELL HIM TO TELL THE AUDIO ENGINEER TO ELIMINATE THE AUDIENCE FROM THE AUDIO MIX... assuming it's really the audience making that shrieking squealing ridiculous noise, rather than the post-processing "squeal track" added to make it seem like the audience is in a state of nirvana.

Interestingly of course, whenever the camera does show the audience they are applauding nicely, or sitting quietly and enjoying what's on stage... but they are NOT SQUEALING AND SCREAMING HYSTERICALLY!!!

Please, someone with a Twitter access please please let Nigel know that this is absolutely ruining the show. Next we'll have the swaybots appear stage-side, and we won't be able to even see the dancing!

Very disappointing about this latest trend in so-called live audience shows (including "The Voice", "Chelsea Lately", "The Daily Show" and "Colbert Report"), that it becomes necessary to add a horribly offensive "squeal track" to the horribly offensive "laugh track" so that nothing is real and you can't actually have the volume set normally. Take a lesson from "Realtime with Bill Maher" for true unaltered genuinely live audience reaction and response: NO SQUEALING!!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Even Nigel himself made such a comment, when he admitted "the audience was making so much noise I couldn't hear the music".

What he actually complained about was not being able to hear the taps during the tap dancing number.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
What he actually complained about was not being able to hear the taps during the tap dancing number.
You're right. I was 3/4 dead to the world trying to watch last night before I finally gave up after three numbers, and all I could come away with before falling asleep was the constant squealing and then Nigel said something to the same effect. And you're right, it was that he couldn't hear the taps... not that he couldn't hear the music. My mistake.

Anyway, I hope this isn't the way the next few months go. I hope they have a similar reaction at the very least when they play back the show at home after when it goes live, and get a true feeling for how obnoxious that artificial hysterical squealing really is.

Ak. I've made my point. Anybody tweet Nigel yet about this? Please do, if you can.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

DSperber, you seem very passionate about this, but not enough to make an account and tweet him yourself?
Old 07-04-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 415
The tap number really stood out to me for the musicality of it. The ability to keep the beat with the music and still hit the paces was really good. This number was more about the rhythm than the movement if that makes sense.

I thought the music for the Hip Hop number at first was clever and unique, but then as the music played I remembered this song was implying these two guys were having sex at night which seemed odd. It through me off what was a good routine.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
I thought the music for the Hip Hop number at first was clever and unique, but then as the music played I remembered this song was implying these two guys were having sex at night which seemed odd. It through me off what was a good routine.

Huh? There's nothing sexual or romantic about The Commodores' "Nightshift". It's an homage to dead-and-lamented soul singers Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson. The "nightshift" is a allusion to them singing in heaven:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commodores View Post
Gonna be some sweet sounds coming down on the nightshift
I bet you're singing proud, I bet you'll pull a crowd
Gonna be a long night, it's gonna be alright on the nightshift
You found another home, I know you're not alone on the nightshift
I thought that Emilio's performance in that was brilliant. Teddy was...adequate .

Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So the gorgeous Marlene Ostergaard is gone. I can't fault their decision, though both routines she was given to perform were choreography dogs. Oh well.

And the broke up the Miami boys. They should feel good that they both made the top 20; I'm not sure that they both deserved it.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
So the gorgeous Marlene Ostergaard is gone. I can't fault their decision, though both routines she was given to perform were choreography dogs. Oh well.

And the broke up the Miami boys. They should feel good that they both made the top 20; I'm not sure that they both deserved it.
Well, making it to Vegas/callbacks is an achievement, so nothing to be ashamed of for being voted off first. I actually liked Nick far more than Rudy, but I seem to be in a minority, from what I've read on the internet.

I also can't fault Marlene much, but I would have have Jordan go before her - she was the only one IMO that wasn't particularly good in her own style.