post #61 of 156 Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post
Well, making it to Vegas/callbacks is an achievement, so nothing to be ashamed of for being voted off first.
Outside of the fact Nigel stated she made it through the various stages (solely) because of her looks...
Kevin_Wadsworth likes this.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Outside of the fact Nigel stated she made it through the various stages (solely) because of her looks...
Nigel has said a lot of terrible things over the years on this show, but that has to be near the top of the list.
post #63 of 156 Old 07-10-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I thought that was a pretty snarky and unnecessary comment :rollleyes:. I would have liked to have seen what she might have done performing a good piece of choreography. That routine with the telephones was horrible and the Samba she performed on the first episode was an unimpressive composition (performed in repulsively bright lime green costumes of horrible design).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post
I actually liked Nick far more than Rudy, but I seem to be in a minority, from what I've read on the internet.

I'm not sure if I liked either more than the other; I don't think that either had any chance at winning the competition and I'm doubtful about Rudy making it into the top 10. It's interesting that Rudy seemed much more affected by Nick's termination than Nick was; they briefly showed him standing with the survivors, bawling like a baby.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #64 of 156 Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As in recent seasons, losing interest rapidly after the callbacks. Too much same same and gushing compliments.
post #65 of 156 Old 07-12-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well good, I'm glad I wasn't alone in the uncomfortable remarks Nigel gave her. I mean, later on as she was processing, what would go through her mind? I got through on my looks and not my dancing ability? Yikes!

At first I couldn't understand why Rudy was gushing when the guy got cut but I had forgotten that was his buddy.

I didn't get to watch until Friday night, but just as well I didn't vote this week. I thought it was boring overall and found myself on my iPad a lot of the show.
post #66 of 156 Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Kind of a mixed show this week. Casey and Brooklyn did a nice job of redeeming themselves and Serge, paired with a good partner,good choreography and great music (Latch by Sam Smith), showed what he can do. The irony there is that Serge is in tight with some of the Pros on DWTS and whenever I hear Latch, I immediately see Meryl and Maks' brilliant Freestyle in the DWTS finale. For me, the real highlight was the opening number which was remarkably true to the spirit of On the Town's stage and movie productions. Ricky and Emilio, in particular, really stood out but the whole routine looked like something that Jerome Robbins himself would have choreographed. Did you notice Nigel sending some salvos Benji's way? He clearly did not not feel that the swing routine was a good fit for the dancers and let Benji know it. Apparently there have been some negative reactions among the faithful to Misty Copeland's judging. All I can say is "are you out of your minds?" She has been outstanding with precise, accurate and constructive critiques. I guess a lot of fans prefer the typical celebrity boobs that the show has on who, while entertaining, know little or nothing about real dancing. Somehow, I suspect that the dancers would disagree. Even though she's not a dancer, I'd like to see Tara Lipinski back as a judge. She was very honest in her critiques and pretty well grounded technically from her skating days.
post #67 of 156 Old 07-12-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
As in recent seasons, losing interest rapidly after the callbacks. Too much same same and gushing compliments.

I'm just the opposite. I can barely stand the auditions (though I must applaud that they've almost eliminated segments ridiculing no-talent people). The callbacks are alright, but it's nice that they got them over with in a single two hour show. I'm in it to see the contestants dancing professionally choreographed numbers. I'll listen to the comments on my first viewing, then watch the performances two or three more times over the next few days, skipping the comments. I found Misty Copelands' critiques to be insightful and interesting as well, a lot like Mary's comments on ballroom (I try to tune out her comments on other things ).

So far, after two viewings, I like the African Jazz piece, the Argentine Tango and Sonya's contemporary composition best ("Latch"). I think that Sonya's showing some actual growth, fusing her harsh, angular "Combat Jazz" vocabulary with some soft, fluid contemporary moves to create effective romantic pieces. I've always liked her stuff, but for season after season it's seemed much the same. Her first piece on this show was good, but pretty much standard Tayeh.

EDIT: After watching a third time, "Latch" is definitely my favorite from this week, followed by the African Jazz and the Argentine Tango, both of which I like a lot, but about equally. The rest are enjoyable with the exceptions of that horrible telephone prop piece and the West Coast Swing; I skipped both.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 07-12-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #68 of 156 Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't like being mean or 'I told you so', but it's another case where a former winner of the show has either disappeared from view or is not a great choreographer, while a runner-up has gone to an outstanding career as a dancer and/or choreographer.

Benji (season 2 winner) vs. Travis Wall (season 2 runner-up)

Joshua (season 4 winner) vs. Twitch (season 4 runner-up)

There are probably others that I've clearly missed.
post #69 of 156 Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I'll listen to the comments on my first viewing, then watch the performances two or three more times over the next few days, skipping the comments.
I watch the show the first time as if I'm at a show, just to enjoy it while it's happening. Only rarely will I replay a performance, if it's really special. Later in the week I'll spend serious time re-watching and listening to the comments as I edit the entire show with VideoRedo into clips "for posterity". Been doing this seriously and completely since Season 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott
EDIT: After watching a third time, "Latch" is definitely my favorite from this week, followed by the African Jazz and the Argentine Tango, both of which I like a lot, but about equally.
These three were my favorites as well. They really stood out, as this week there were some surprising duds... justifiably called out by the judges.

But overall, there are really some very strong dancers this season. VERY strong. Putting aside the awful and childish and grating "learning more about the dancers" 8-10 second interviews from each other prelude to the shorter rehearsal bits this year (all an attempt to speed up the show I guess, with no more "dance for your life" solos either), there are some really good dancers. Ricky is probably the best male dancer, but Marcquet, Serge, Casey, Zack, I mean they're great.

Among the girls, I think Carly is terrific, along with Brooklyn, Jacque, Bridget, on and on. I won't mind if Tanisha, Valerie or Jourdan depart early.

Although the Benji Schwimmer number was pretty awful (and that choice of music?? 1/2 talking in the start of that "live" Aretha Franklin performance just had no rhythm for them to dance to for quite a while... my sympathies), Jessica kind of reminded me of Randi from S5 (i.e. "butt dance" with Evan, to Koop Island Blues). I like Jessica, but because this was a bad piece I really don't know if she's a really good dancer or not, but I like her nonetheless.

Can't decide who's my "favorite" yet, but Carly certainly had my attention in that surprisingly appealing and out-of-the-ordinary second Sonya Tayeh number (although I do wish she would stop having the girls do those giant legs-akimbo moves). I think Carly will look good and dance wonderfully, no matter what you give her. Elegant.

I think the opening Broadway group number was probably up there in the absolute top-3 of all time, with some Wade Robson stuff. Fabulous. These kids ALL danced like pros! Fantastic choreography by Josh Bergasse, and amazing what he got these 20 dancers to do and how professional it looked. Wonderful. You'd never know these are kids, and rookies.
post #70 of 156 Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I watch the show the first time as if I'm at a show, just to enjoy it while it's happening.

Unlike people in the Central and Eastern time zones, those of us in the Pacific time zone can't view the show live; it's being recorded in LA at 5 PM and doesn't get shown here until 8.
post #71 of 156 Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Unlike people in the Central and Eastern time zones, those of us in the Pacific time zone can't view the show live; it's being recorded in LA at 5 PM and doesn't get shown here until 8.
I'm in LA myself, so I share the same 3-hour delay as you do in San Diego.

I didn't mean I watch it "truly live". I meant the first time I just watch it off of my DVR recording (could be days later) from the bedroom or kitchen, but as if I was an ordinary TV viewer watching the complete show (while skipping through commercials, of course, as I NEVER watch ANYTHING truly "live"... even if there's no west coast delay, e.g. for the few award shows we might actually see genuinely live). I really just want to get my own first impression.

Then I eventually also read several online blogs, reviews and recaps and "fans of reality TV" sites, to get some other perspectives to see if they match my own.

It's only days later still when I have a few serious hours available, that I sit down at the computer and re-watch closely and extract all the performance/comments clips from the entire show for the archives.
post #72 of 156 Old 07-24-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

/gasp How could we let this thread get half way down page 2???

Well I watched and voted last night. Half my votes went to Ricky and Tanisha. The rest were divided among Emilio, Bridget, and Rudy (even though he annoys the piss out of me). Really the first half of the show was great, then it was all kinda, meh. Then the group routines gave it a killer ending. Both were fantastic in their own right. You could tell most, if not all of the dancers were barely holding their emotions together after the Sonjia routine. And the fun-spirited nature of the 2nd one was just as infectious in their demeanor after they danced, too. Good stuff!

Could do without the dance tips, the Shazams, and the musical stars. And why isn't anyone calling attention to Nigel sitting in the middle now? Messing with my OCD.
post #73 of 156 Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Every once in a while I wish routines were saved for when the All-Stars come onto the scene. I thought Sonya should have saved the couples routine one for a couple of weeks from now. I think if one of the contestants were replaced with an All-Star some of the awkwardness of it would have gone away.

Speaking of choreographers saving stuff I thought the salsa number was way to complicated for the skill level of the dancers. I think the whole thing would have been better with one two less lifts.

Brooklyn and Casey, I thought were just bad. It reminded me of two kids at a dance recital.

Tanisha was about as sexy as you can get from the neck down, but none of that sexiness hit her face. She just wore a blank expression for much of the piece.

I think Ricky is the best dancer so far this season by a good margin.
post #74 of 156 Old 07-24-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This was Misty Copeland's last week as guest judge; I'll miss her. Being a soloists in a prestigious ballet troupe, her perspective was more informative than most. At least we got her for three straight weeks.

I didn't really notice that Nigel was in the middle now; my OCD isn't as severe as yours (though I do have to have the dishwasher loaded just so ).

Strange that there were no comments here on last week's show at all. Is enthusiasm lagging after ten seasons? I do have to say that I don't find this group as compelling as those of other seasons. There's really no one that I can root for yet. Ricky is the obvious technical best dancer, but those have rarely won; I think that he'll have to show a more appealing character for "America" to get solidly behind him.

The eliminations have been largely predictable. I appreciate Nigel saying that they are consciously trying to eliminate people according to "America's" vote unless one or more of the bottom 6 performs exceptionally on the elimination show. I like Marcquet's exit comment that when he was a kid he'd said that one day he'd perform on So You Think You Can Dance and that he was proud to have realized that goal.

I've only watched the performances once and not much stood out for me. I do remember being surprised by Teddy; he performed some Latin ballroom dance with Emily and he was in it. He may not have gotten the technique precisely right but he definitely got the spirit of it.

"
" -- hookbill
post #75 of 156 Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed Misty Copeland as well. It's nice to see a professional commenting about the various aspects even those outside their scope. I got a kick out of her being called on giving the guys a pass and picking on the gals... I thought the same and a couple of times I thought she was going to invite them to her dressing room.

Typically I'm not a fan of the group routines but last night they all were outstanding and really added to the show... wonderful filler. I read their network exec hopes the show will return for another season but nothing will be decided until this season is over.

| 
|
|
|

Last edited by Charles R; 07-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #76 of 156 Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Something which seems to have returned this season that I'm not happy about is musical guests. If you want to have a guest performance to give the judges time to deliberate, make it a professional dance performance. I don't think that there were any musical guests last season until the finale. Perhaps they get pressure from the music IP holders: "You want to license this and that piece of music that we own for your dance numbers, then you will feature a guest performance by an artist that we're currently promoting".

"
" -- hookbill
post #77 of 156 Old 07-25-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Something which seems to have returned this season that I'm not happy about is musical guests. If you want to have a guest performance to give the judges time to deliberate, make it a professional dance performance.
I think they simply had a lot of time to fill. They could have easily gone to 90 minutes but staying at two hours they filled in with the group numbers, musical guest and other things I'm sure.

For me they had plenty of dancing and a musical break was fine. At least they didn't fill in with the dance troupes featured in earlier episodes!

| 
|
|
|
post #78 of 156 Old 07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
/gasp How could we let this thread get half way down page 2???

Well I watched and voted last night. Half my votes went to Ricky and Tanisha. The rest were divided among Emilio, Bridget, and Rudy (even though he annoys the piss out of me). Really the first half of the show was great, then it was all kinda, meh. Then the group routines gave it a killer ending.
I'm not as a big fan of Tanisha's, but I agree with the rest of what you wrote. Including Rudy bugging me a lot. On one comment, Nigel critiqued his dancing, but said his personality carried him through. For me, his personality is tha major turn-off. Then again, I'm not the show's peak demographic.

I've reached that nice point in the season where, outside of Rudy, I'd be okay with any of them winning. They are all quite good.
post #79 of 156 Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Props to Casey and Jessica tonight! Wow! I think that was a no brainer save. Ricky and Valerie's routine was also fantastic. Those four got my 20 votes tonight.

Let me just talk about that ladies group routine for a second. Actually, I don't even know how to. That might be the most special dance routine I have seen in all the seasons I have watched. The way the music, the dress, the staging, and of course the dance came together was inexpressibly fantastic.

The guys too. I mean... Travis. What a gift he has! How he takes these complex concepts and brings them to life through motion of the human body, I can never understand but so appreciate.

More than a reality competition, this show was special tonight.

/sentimental
post #80 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Props to Casey and Jessica tonight! Wow! I think that was a no brainer save.

I agree. Once they danced that I couldn't see how they could be beat. A shame that it's their first pairing and might be their final one. In the past they've done 1 routine with an All Star and one routine with a random other contestant. I wonder how they'll do it this year.

I'm really surprised that both tappers made it into the top 10, but they've both been excellent. Has any tapper made it into the top 10 before?

I like the men's routine a lot but wasn't particularly moved by the women's. Perhaps it'll grab me on subsequent viewings.

"
" -- hookbill
post #81 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree. Once they danced that I couldn't see how they could be beat. A shame that it's their first pairing and might be their final one. In the past they've done 1 routine with an All Star and one routine with a random other contestant. I wonder how they'll do it this year.

I'm really surprised that both tappers made it into the top 10, but they've both been excellent. Has any tapper made it into the top 10 before?

I like the men's routine a lot but wasn't particularly moved by the women's. Perhaps it'll grab me on subsequent viewings.
Last year's male runner-up, Aaron Turner, who replaced Emilio in the top 20 when Emilio got injured, is a tapper.
post #82 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Last year's male runner-up, Aaron Turner, who replaced Emilio in the top 20 when Emilio got injured, is a tapper.

Right! How could I have forgotten ?

"
" -- hookbill
post #83 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Props to Casey and Jessica tonight! Wow! I think that was a no brainer save. Ricky and Valerie's routine was also fantastic. Those four got my 20 votes tonight.

Let me just talk about that ladies group routine for a second. Actually, I don't even know how to. That might be the most special dance routine I have seen in all the seasons I have watched. The way the music, the dress, the staging, and of course the dance came together was inexpressibly fantastic.

The guys too. I mean... Travis. What a gift he has! How he takes these complex concepts and brings them to life through motion of the human body, I can never understand but so appreciate.

More than a reality competition, this show was special tonight.

/sentimental
Completely agree. From Stacy Tookey's opening routine onward the show was excellent. After Casey and Jessica just killed Travis' brilliant routine, the others in jeopardy were pretty much toast. It was a perfect melding of concept, choreography and perfect execution by the dancers. I thought that there was an outside chance that Serge might sneak in ahead of Casey but it was a very long shot at best. With Serge's connections to Maks and Val Chmerkovskiy and his obvious talent, I expect him to become a member of DWTS' troupe within the next two seasons. The cross-pollination between the two shows has benefited both mightily. I love Jessica. She has it all and, to me, is a contender to go all the way. Emilio continues to impress. His growth curve this season has been incredible as has Valerie's. She ought to light candles for being able to partner with Ricky. She became a much better dancer by being paired with him. I loved Jean-Marc's wild vampire Paso. He used to always have his wife France with him but I've read that she pretty much stays home with their kids now, one of whom has a serious neurological disorder. I always found them to be a delightful couple. When they competed, they were undefeated in many Canadian and North American categories. The two group dances were stunning and major props to Mandy and Travis for the choreography. I also enjoyed Christina as a judge. She wears her emotions on her sleeve and, even though she's danced on a Broadway stage, she focuses on what she knows best, the performance aspects.
post #84 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not the biggest fan of Jessica. She's a pretty little girl (she and Casey made a great looking couple) and she has performed very well, but her obsessive mugging at the audience during her performances has put me off. She managed to avoid it last night, thank God. (She also didn't do it during that great Sonya Tayeh piece that she performed with Ricky at the end of the initial Top 20 performance show either, but in that she was acting a part).

"
" -- hookbill
post #85 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know where NappyTabs are this season? Taking a break to be with their kiddo, perhaps? Christopher Scott, too, hasn't been seen since one of the audition stops.
post #86 of 156 Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I will have to disagree with majority. I thought Casey and Jessica were OK, but I had seen better in this episode alone. Given how bad they were last week I would not have put them through so easily.

I thought Valerie and Ricky were way above everyone else this week. They had the best hip hop performance of the season before Valerie even did the leg wave.

If the execution had match the concept i thought Tanisha and Rudy would have been in the running for best of the night. They were just off a little here and there otherwise they would have killed it.

I will agree with the majority that both mini group numbers were excellent.
post #87 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Travis is simply brilliant. His routines are always so impressive. The last part of his routine where they fell off the stage was really impressive visually.

post #88 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

And Travis was runner-up in season 2?
post #89 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Oh and also, Cat looked particularly beautiful this week.

post #90 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
And Travis was runner-up in season 2?

Someone made the point that multiple runners-up have done better than the winners of their seasons, Travis and Twitch being two cases in point. Where's Benji or Joshua these days? Of course, most of the winners and runners up have faded into obscurity. (Benji did choreograph a West Coast Swing for the second performance show this season; I recall that Nigel was highly critical of the choreography).

"
" -- hookbill
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page