post #91 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Oh and also, Cat looked particularly beautiful this week.
If she doesn't finally win the Emmy for best host of a reality show I don't know what to say, hands down she's the best!
Also happy Jessica was saved, of the 3 gals she was my favorite.
In regards to choreographers, does anyone know what happened to Jean-Marc's wife I believe? the one with the awful(IMO) red hair. Haven't seen her all season, and maybe last......wonder if they split up
I don't usually say much about the choreographers but IMO this season they have all really stepped things up. Personally I'm not a big fan of Sonya and glad we haven't seen much from her, Travis is really on a roll he's got to be one of my favorite for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Someone made the point that multiple runners-up have done better than the winners of their seasons, Travis and Twitch being two cases in point. Where's Benji or Joshua these days? Of course, most of the winners and runners up have faded into obscurity. (Benji did choreograph a West Coast Swing for the second performance show this season; I recall that Nigel was highly critical of the choreography).
Actually, that was me.
post #93 of 156 Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Personally I'm not a big fan of Sonya and glad we haven't seen much from her, Travis is really on a roll he's got to be one of my favorite for sure.

I am a fan of Sonya's and I'm glad that we've seen plenty of her. She choreographed 3 routines on the first top 20 show (including the opening group number and the final number with Ricky and Jessica which got a standing ovation from all of the judges and Nigel praised it to death), 2 routines on the 2nd top 20 show, 2 routines on the top 16 show (including one of two group numbers), so 7 numbers so far, versus Travis' 6.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #94 of 156 Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Any episode with Kathryn is a great episode. During her second number my wife said... where is she working now?

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #95 of 156 Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suppose that I agree with "America's" eliminations last night. I liked Emilio, but Zack had performed well in several more challenging pieces. His performance with Jasmine was pretty good, so at least he got to go out on a positive note. I was indifferent as to whether Bridget or Jacque should go. I wonder if the voting audience is at all swayed by the little puppy love romance between her and Rudy (whom I would like to see go soon)?

"
" -- hookbill
post #96 of 156 Old 08-08-2014, 01:47 PM
PMA

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, Rudy is getting on my nerves as well.
post #97 of 156 Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Yes, Rudy is getting on my nerves as well.
Every time I hear Rudy laugh I think of this:

Bobby 

post #98 of 156 Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
As good as Ricky is as a dancer, I find his personality and Joker-wide smile off-putting. And Rudy almost seems deranged.

Still without picking my "favorite" yet, I think this is a very very talented and very good looking top 10. I really do feel they eliminated those who I didn't fancy either. I still like watching Jessica (e.g. in the opening group number), and keep thinking Randi. I just like the way Jessica dances and moves.

Always a treat and a pleasure to see Kathryn (her cameo in the new opening credits looks terrific), but I don't think she was up to my own expectations this week. Looking forward to Alison next week, and NICK!!! Waiting for Neil to hopefully appear.

Great season so far. Terrific TV camera work, lighting, makeup and costumes, staging, everything. And no Miley Cyrus guest judge just for the tweenies. Choreography has been a bit spotty but mostly wonderful. I thought Sonya's final piece last night with Zack was exceptional, and I've been quite bored with her repetitive dance stylings of late. Travis of course has become really special.
post #99 of 156 Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Nigel misspoke when he said Ricky reminds him of The Hobbit.

He really meant Harry Potter (grown up).

post #100 of 156 Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
As good as Ricky is as a dancer, I find his personality and Joker-wide smile off-putting. And Rudy almost seems deranged.

He is a highly skilled dancer, but the most highly technically skilled contestants have rarely won (Danny Tidwell and Will Wingfield being cases in point, ballet dancers Eliana Girard and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp being exceptions). I don't think that Ricky has the personality to be crowned "America's Favorite Dancer".

And you're right--he and Daniel Radcliffe are twins separated at birth .

"
" -- hookbill
post #101 of 156 Old 08-10-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Kathryn was wasted on Casey this week.
post #102 of 156 Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
Kathryn was wasted on Casey this week.
I disagree. It is unusual for me to take my eyes off Kathryn in any dance, but I found Casey's effort very complementary and eye catching. The style fit his long lines perfectly.

Btw, did I hear that Will will be an Allstar this week?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Distorted; 08-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #103 of 156 Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Btw, did I hear that Will will be an Allstar this week?
I believe I heard that as well.

And Jenna Dewan Tatum is going to be the guest judge this week.
post #104 of 156 Old 08-12-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I believe I heard that as well.

And Jenna Dewan Tatum is going to be the guest judge this week.
Awesome, she is stunningly beautiful.

post #105 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well, bye-bye Rudy, bye-bye Tanisha.
post #106 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I will not miss Rudy. I can't believe that he broke down in tears; I thought they might have to carry him off.

I'm not sure who I think will or should win. I like Valerie and Zack a lot; both tapper made the top six! They...could...go...all...the...way! Don't much care for Jessica, Jacque or Ricky; they're good dancers but there's nothing endearing about them, personality wise. I'm pulling for one of the tappers to win; they're both doing a bang up job and they're both likable as hell.

"
" -- hookbill
post #107 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 190
From a dancing stand point I'll miss Rudy. Might just have been my mood but I didn't get into this week's show nearly as much as last week's. Most of the performances came off as reruns.

| 
|
|
|
post #108 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Tanisha's elimination was terrible. She has been one one of the strongest dancers this season, certainly better than Valerie and Jacque. She was outstanding with Nick last night. I suspect that her not looking like a pretty little doll was a factor in the voting. If so it's a sad comment. Rudy is a better dancer than Casey but many (including me) found his over the top cutesie act annoying. He danced well last night but did anyone, for one second, take their eyes off Allison? She was glorious. Casey got buried by Comfort in a clear mismatch but he moves on. It was nice to see Will Wingfield back and he and Jessica were excellent. Valerie did well but she still really couldn't keep up with Ryan, a trained ballroom guy. My feeling is that this will come down to Ricky and Jessica with him being the favorite.
bpeacock22 likes this.
post #109 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

"The Other Will" was shown as an All Star for next week. I do not remember what season he was on, but recall him as supremely talented but not very personable, which led to a too early demise. Was he the male in the spectacular "pas de deux" with Kathryn that year? Stretching my recollection here.

post #110 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Not to a kick dog when it is down I thought this was a week vets carried a couple of the dancers. I thought Comfort and Allison basically danced around Casey and Rudy. Rudy had the harder job of trying to catch Allison as she was blazing across the stage.

I have a hard time remembering who most of the women are for this season. Tanisha and Valiere are the only two I can consistently remember. I thought Tanisha was better than Jacque last week. Jacque was hampered by what I thought was a bad routine for this stage in competition, but I would still consider Tanisha a stronger dancer.

Last edited by spid; 08-15-2014 at 07:01 PM.
post #111 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"The Other Will" was shown as an All Star for next week. I do not remember what season he was on, but recall him as supremely talented but not very personable, which led to a too early demise. Was he the male in the spectacular "pas de deux" with Kathryn that year? Stretching my recollection here.
Will Wingfield, on last night, was Katee's partner in a great pas de deux in Season 4. It was amazing because Will was a trained ballet dancer and Katee wasn't (still have not given up my supreme obsession for Katee after all these seasons ) For next week, I've got Ade with Jessica, Twitch with Valerie and Jaque with Will (Wingfield). What I'm looking forward to is Ricky with Anya. That boy gonna be dancing with a real woman next Wednesday.
post #112 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does anyone else detest the shots of contestant reactions to the announcement of which All Star they're going to be paired with next week?
post #113 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Does anyone else detest the shots of contestant reactions to the announcement of which All Star they're going to be paired with next week?

Agreed. It seems like they didn't hear the name or they have no idea who the All Star is, but they have to act super excited.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #114 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some of these All Stars are hard to remember. Jaimie? Makensie (at least her face is familiar). Comfort, Twitch, Allison, Will and Ryan were highly memorable contestants in highly memorable seasons. Looking her up, I see that Jaimie Goodwin was in that Season 3 "Flower & Hummingbird" piece with Hok, which is memorable, but it didn't make her memorable, to me. Good God--Makenzie Dustman was from last season (eliminated in the top 8); I'd completely forgotten her . I'm losing it in my old age .

"
" -- hookbill
post #115 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Will Wingfield, on last night, was Katee's partner in a great pas de deux in Season 4. It was amazing because Will was a trained ballet dancer and Katee wasn't (still have not given up my supreme obsession for Katee after all these seasons ) For next week, I've got Ade with Jessica, Twitch with Valerie and Jaque with Will (Wingfield). What I'm looking forward to is Ricky with Anya. That boy gonna be dancing with a real woman next Wednesday.
Ahhh, it's all coming back now. Thanks. My wife had him confused with Russel Ferguson, which is understandable now that Will looks much like him with the dreadlocks. I wish I could see the pas de deux with Katee again. It is at the top of my list of pieces on the show, especially the redo on the last show of the season without the flub in the middle.

post #116 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wish I could see the pas de deux with Katee again.

YouTube is your friend:

Spoiler!

Sadly not in HD but still effective. It's unclear whether that's the original performance (in which they made a mistake) or the finale reprise (in which they were proud to have not committed the same error). I can't remember what the mistake was.

EDIT: it's the finale; I found a recording of the original in which they get briefly hung up in a turn where she passes under his arm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGisWjsv37c&t=1m48s (1:48); it's performed properly here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tGN1yi__E&t=27s (27 secs). (It's incredibly difficult to keep this board software from representing links to YouTube as video windows and when it does that it ignores time code parameters . I never thought I'd say this, being a vBulletin fan, but I want Huddler back).

I remember in that season they were drawing routines out of a hat; it was just pure luck that Will and Katee drew that one, being the only pair with any chance of performing it properly .

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 08-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #117 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Some of these All Stars are hard to remember. Jaimie? Makensie (at least her face is familiar). Comfort, Twitch, Allison, Will and Ryan were highly memorable contestants in highly memorable seasons. Looking her up, I see that Jaimie Goodwin was in that Season 3 "Flower & Hummingbird" piece with Hok, which is memorable, but it didn't make her memorable, to me. .
Jaime is actually a superb dancer and is very tight with Travis. On the show that aired about Travis and his dance company it appeared that Jaime was his muse in many ways. She had a serious injury but, while not fully recovered, was the aerial center piece of a great routine that Travis and his group did on DWTS a couple of seasons ago. She was also one of Stacy Jaxx (Tom Cruise) "groupie" dancers in Rock of Ages, most notably when he did "Wanted Dead or Alive". The reality seems to be that most working dancers toil in relative anonymity unless they become very big names as choreographers like Travis did.

Last edited by Cal1981; 08-14-2014 at 10:16 PM.
post #118 of 156 Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
YouTube is your friend:...
Thank you for doing my research. I thought SYTYCD had withdrawn all those old YouTube clips, but happy to know they are there. Oh, the exquisite Katee! Stayed on YT to see her with the wonderful Joshua. Loved the trip down Memory Lane...plan to go back and stay awhile. Next search: Danny Tidwell.

Here's a terrific source for all the past finalists' names in past SYTYCD seasons—

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ance_Finalists

post #119 of 156 Old 08-15-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wow the complete opposite result I expected.

Cal1981, you said everything I wanted too. Agree with everything. Ricky to win.
post #120 of 156 Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Tanisha's elimination was terrible. She has been one one of the strongest dancers this season, certainly better than Valerie and Jacque.
I'd disagree - she was my least favorite girl left (I liked her, just liked the other 3 better).

Quote:
He danced well last night but did anyone, for one second, take their eyes off Allison? She was glorious.
I completely agree here!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page