4Likes

post #1 of 156 Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Just the annual heads-up...

Season 11 premiere date is Wednesday May 28 at 8PM eastern on FOX.

Set your "series recordings".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Tomorrow. Psyched.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 156 Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Really looking forward to this. DVR set!

post #4 of 156 Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And, if you're interested, the annual Scripps Spelling Bee "2014 bee week" concludes Thursday morning on ESPN2 live at 10AM eastern for the semi-finals, and Thursday night 8PM eastern on ESPN live for the finals.

If you've never seen these kids spell on TV, or in the movies (e.g. "Spellbound"), you don't know what you're missing. It is WONDERFULLY ENJOYABLE and makes you proud.

I look forward to it every year. That's all I'll say about it.
post #5 of 156 Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It was a very good opener last night with one girl (she looked a bit like Eliana from 2 seasons back) in particular, IMHO, looking like a top 10er and potential winner. Nice to see, from last season, the always stunning Jasmine Harper scoring a Degree Deodorant commercial. The camera just loves that girl.
post #6 of 156 Old 05-30-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A friend tagged me in a post on FB that she was excited SYTYCD was starting that night... so glad she did! I got a new DVR recently and hadn't added it to the series recordings. Got it in with a few minutes to spare! Haven't watched it yet, but looking forward to the show and the color commentary provided here. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 156 Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Wednesday win for Fox as ‘Dance’ dominates
Reality show's season premiere averages a 1.6 in 18-49s
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - May 29, 2014

On a night littered with repeats, Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance” soared well above the competition on broadcast.

The reality show’s 11th season premiere averaged a 1.6 adults 18-49 rating from 8 to 10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnight, lifting Fox 33 percent ahead of the No. 2 network on the night, NBC, and finishing as the night’s top show.

“Dance” was actually off 16 percent from last year’s premiere, which aired during mid-May, when broadcast was in the midst of sweeps. This year, airing after the regular season had ended, viewership levels for television were off from the night “Dance” premiered in 2013.

There were few other original shows on broadcast Wednesday night.

NBC’s “Brian Williams Reports,” in which the “Nightly News” anchor conducted an exclusive interview with National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden, drew okay ratings at 10 p.m.

It averaged a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating, winning its timeslot in the demo, and 5.9 million total viewers, though that was slightly behind a repeat of CBS’s “CSI” in the slot.

ABC’s “Motive” was the only other original broadcast program. It posted a 0.9 in 18-49s at 10 p.m., even with last week.

Fox led the night among 18-49s with a 1.6 average overnight rating and a 5 share. NBC was second at 1.2/4. ABC, CBS and Univision all tied for third at 1.0/3, Telemundo was sixth at 0.6/2 and CW seventh at 0.4/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Also note, NBC had planned to run the “World Music Awards” from 8 to 10 p.m. last night, but production issues forced the network to replace the program with a repeat of “Last Comic Standing.”

At 8 p.m. Fox was first with a 1.6 for “Dance,” followed by ABC with a 1.1 for reruns of “The Middle” and “The Goldbergs.” NBC was third with a 1.0 for a repeat of “Comic,” CBS fourth with a 0.8 for a “Hawaii Five-0″ rerun, Univision fifth with a 0.7 for “De Que Te Quiero, Te Quiero,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.5 for “La Impostora” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for a repeat of “Arrow.”

Fox was first again at 9 p.m. with a 1.6 for more “Dance,” while Univision moved to second with a 1.3 for “Lo Que La Vida Me Robo.” NBC, CBS and ABC all tied for third at 1.2, NBC for more “Comic,” CBS for a “Criminal Minds” repeat and ABC for reruns of “Modern Family” and “Goldbergs.” CW was sixth with a 0.6 for “The 100″ and Telemundo seventh with a 0.5 for “En Otra Piel.”

NBC took the lead at 10 p.m. with a 1.3 for the Snowden interview, with CBS and Univision tied for second at 0.9, CBS for a repeat of “CSI” and Univision for “Que Pobres Tan Ricos.” ABC and Telemundo tied for fourth at 0.9, ABC for “Motive” and Telemundo for “El Señor de los Cielos,” which rose a tenth from the previous night.

CBS was first for the night among households with a 4.3 average overnight rating and a 7 share. Fox was second at 3.4/6, NBC third at 3.0/5, ABC fourth at 2.6/4, Univision fifth at 1.4/2, CW sixth at 0.9/1 and Telemundo seventh at 0.8/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/wednesday-win-fox-dance-dominates/

post #8 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I am REALLY enjoying this new season so far.

I like the new "bumpers" and show lead-in. I really like the geometric line CGI add-ons over the dancer in the opening show lead-in. It's about time they changed these videos and the results are excellent. I recall all of the really special performance excerpts they've grafted together.

And I especially like the focus on terrific and ENJOYABLE dancers, rather than flubs. Flubs are relegated to brief "highlight reel" footage, with most of the show spent on showing us really really GOOD and ENJOYABLE dancers. I think they're particularly lucky this year with the crop of turnouts who are trying out.

All in all, I'm going to guess that there will probably be LOTS of dancers who could easily qualify for "America's FAVORITE dancer".

Bravo, so far.
post #9 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Points off for having Justin Bieber on the show. My teen daughter stated that he WAS high...not that he looked stoned, he was stoned. Other than that, the show was great.
post #10 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Points off for having Justin Bieber on the show. My teen daughter stated that he WAS high...not that he looked stoned, he was stoned. Other than that, the show was great.

It was indeed. Looks like they are going to have an outstanding group this year. How did you like the kid sister of one of the dancers? She was amazing for her age. Definitely a future contestant on the show.

News on the Katee Shean front. I found out that my all time SYTYCD favorite choreographed a 2013 movie called Stepping High. Ryan Ramirez and Kent Boyd, SYTYCD alums are in the film. I'm not quite sure about where it's supposed to take place but there seems to be an Iranian-American flavor to it. There are trailers in Farsi and a Facebook site that has Iranian followers. This is the plot summary:

Sima, while stunningly beautiful, has failed to fulfill her dreams as a professional dancer. She is on the wrong side of thirty, being aged out, and is forced to take a job as a teacher at a conservative local high school. Much to her surprise, it sparks the choreographer in her-a talent she has been nurturing in private not only to battle her self-doubt and depression but to create a new and unique fusion of belly and ballroom styles. As one who throws her heart and soul into everything she does, her life inevitably entwines with those of her students, a diverse group of teens, both in the classroom and outside it. Sima becomes re-energized. She opens the kids' eyes and minds to dance as a powerful tool for social change. Not everyone likes her progressive ideas. When she introduces them to her belly-ballroom style, tensions escalate. Race, class, culture, teen romance, Sima's personal failures in her relationship with her parents and her boyfriend, all of which has been building silently, intersect for an emotional explosion! Yet the only way out is for Sima and her students to perform her controversial dance on the biggest stage to a hostile audience in a volatile, charged climax that is a powder keg on a short fuse.

Here's the American Youtube trailer link posted by the movie's star Palmer Davis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy3tRk1hRb8
post #11 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Points off for having Justin Bieber on the show.
Agree. That is definitely a negative of the new ideas they're trying.

The whole "dance crew" stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, not to mention having it hosted by him.

I should remember to look more closely next week, but did Nikki Parson's vanish from the Director's chair and didn't Nigel take over (at least some of the responsibility, per the credits)? Overall, the show this year has shown re-tooling and I mean that in a good way.

What a pleasure to not be watching a stupid singing competition or talk show with horrible intolerable "screaming squealers" in the audience (or inserted with a "screaming hysterical squeal track" in post-production, as if they think we don't realize people don't get hysterical and then stop in 1/2-second) so that you can't listen. What a pleasure to just have music and dancing, and otherwise silent appreciation of what we're seeing performed on stage in front of our eyes and ears.

Still my favorite reality show, and I look forward to it each season.
post #12 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

So Food Network and the public will crucify Paula Deen for a off-color word made three decades ago--which the lawsuit ended up getting thrown out anyway, but not before the damage was done--and Justin Beiber sings a whole song with racist remarks and jokes but SYTYCD continues to endorse him, despite having one of the most culturally diverse populations around. Gotta love the ol' double standards.
Nayan likes this.
post #13 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Man, that Fiction kids is great. The ability to slide into other people's music, and slide in like he practiced it for month is incredible.
Carole B likes this.
post #14 of 156 Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Man, that Fiction kids is great. The ability to slide into other people's music, and slide in like he practiced it for month is incredible.
Even more enjoyable was that French girl he danced with. She was great.

Very very diverse and interesting and enjoyable and personable set of dancers passed through to the next round so far, and it's only been two audition shows. But we haven't seen nearly as many males yet.

But again, I'm really glad the majority of this preliminary on-screen time is going to the GOOD dancers, not the duds. Makes watching the show really fun.
post #15 of 156 Old 06-06-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

.....Even more enjoyable was that French girl he danced with. She was great.

But again, I'm really glad the majority of this preliminary on-screen time is going to the GOOD dancers, not the duds. Makes watching the show really fun.

Agree, the French girl was a highlight for sure.

Also agree with all the comments about lack of "bad" dancers, every season I worry that the awful "dancer" Sex will be back, glad it seems like he won't be back yet another year. Even my teenage daughters(probably the demo Fox really wants) don't normally like the auditions because of what they call "the awful dancers" are watching this year.

post #16 of 156 Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've found myself getting bored after they pick the final group the last few seasons. I like the auditions the best, you never know what's coming and get to see interesting styles from dancers that don't have the diversity to make it far in the competition.
post #17 of 156 Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone ever auditioned more than one like that boy who lost his father did? I didn't even know that was possible...
post #18 of 156 Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Has anyone ever auditioned more than one like that boy who lost his father did? I didn't even know that was possible...
Guess you missed "Sex", who auditioned many, many times in more than one season.
post #19 of 156 Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Guess you missed "Sex", who auditioned many, many times in more than one season.
He was always terrible and he was over the age limit the show imposed, so no way he was going to move on. He was just a waste of time. If he's still showing up and auditioning, Fox has made sure to edit out his performances from the broadcasts.
post #20 of 156 Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90

And THANK YOU FOX for doing that! He wasn't funny, actually very sad and not pleasant at all to watch :( 

post #21 of 156 Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Was there some sort of audio problem on SYTYCD on 6/11 (yesterday.) My DVR recording had NO audio of any kind, even on commercials. Recordings on that channel before and after that program were fine. ???
post #22 of 156 Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Was there some sort of audio problem on SYTYCD on 6/11 (yesterday.) My DVR recording had NO audio of any kind, even on commercials. Recordings on that channel before and after that program were fine. ???
Perfectly fine for me.

post #23 of 156 Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Loved the Epstein girl. She clearly is a contender.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #24 of 156 Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

All in all I'm really liking LOTS of the potentials this season. Very enjoyable all, no doubt thanks to Nigel's touch in the "direction" of the show to focus on feel-good stories and excellent dancing.

That was really some good ballroom last night! And I agree with Nigel, that Mark and Jenna's "ponytail" number last season was probably THE highlight.
post #25 of 156 Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Why would Jenna be surprised to be named an "All Star?" There is no doubt she is.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #26 of 156 Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Why would Jenna be surprised to be named an "All Star?" There is no doubt she is.
She might know she is, but it comes with money, and more TV time. She is probably crying over the fact she has additional income now.

post #27 of 156 Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, the LA/Philly audition episode was one of the best I could remember. I had a grin on my face nearly the entire time. If some of those folks don't screw up Vegas week (a la dropping your partner) they should be leading the pack.

Anyone hear why they aren't going to Vegas this year? Budget cuts again?
post #28 of 156 Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 548
From what they said at the end, they'll be announcing the top 20 at the end of next week's show. No two part call-back or home visits, etc. No doubt budget cuts.

It's cool by me. I like to get to the professionally choreographed performances ASAP.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #29 of 156 Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I was one who was all for making Vegas week another episode. Love seeing those intense moments of stretching and breaking and personalities.
post #30 of 156 Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Season high for ‘So You Think You Can Dance’
Fox reality competition posts a 1.7 among 18-49s

By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Jun. 19, 2014

A season high for Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance” helped the network to a first place finish among viewers 18-49.

“Dance” averaged a 1.7 rating among 18-49s from 8-10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, its highest rating this summer and up 31 percent from a 1.3 last week.

The reality dance competition was also up 20 percent week-to-week among total viewers, from 4.4 million to 5.3 million, and it grew 36 percent among 18-34s as well.

Powered by “Dance,” Fox easily led the night among 18-49s with a 1.7 average overnight rating and a 6 share. Univision was second at 1.1/4, ABC third at 1.0/4, CBS and NBC tied for fourth at 1.0/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.7/2 and CW seventh at 0.3/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-nine percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

At 8 p.m. Fox led with a 1.6 for “So You Think You Can Dance,” followed by NBC with a 1.1 for a repeat of “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.”

ABC and Univision tied for third at 0.9, ABC for reruns of “The Middle” and “The Goldbergs” and Univision for “De Que Te Quiero, Te Quiero,” CBS was fifth with a 0.8 for a repeat of “Hawaii Five-0,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.5 for “La Impostora” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for an “Arrow” rerun.

Fox held onto the lead at 9 p.m. with a 1.7 for more “Dance,” while Univision moved to second with a 1.4 for “Lo Que La Vida Me Robo.”

ABC and NBC tied for third at 1.2, ABC for repeats of “Modern Family” and “Goldbergs” and NBC for another “SVU” rerun, CBS was fifth with a 1.0 for a repeat of “Criminal Minds,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.6 for “En Otra Piel” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for a repeat of “The 100.”

At 10 p.m. ABC, CBS, Univision and Telemundo all tied for first at 1.0, ABC for “Motive,” CBS for a “CSI” repeat, Univision for “Que Pobres Tan Ricos” and Telemundo for “El Señor de los Cielos.”

NBC was fifth with a 0.8 for a rerun of “Chicago P.D.”

CBS was first for the night among households with a 3.7 average overnight rating and a 7 share. Fox was second at 3.3/6, ABC third at 2.7/5, NBC fourth at 2.6/5, Univision fifth at 1.5/3, Telemundo sixth at 0.9/2 and CW seventh at 0.7/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/sea...ink-can-dance/

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page