Forum Jump: 
 289Likes

post #361 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
This is an excellent show. This whole episode was just on the ship and about if he had the virus or not and yet it was gripping and well done. I loved the re-enlistment at the end. I think the captain is almost, just almost over acting the tough guy part but it works. Show really has me hooked, I hope they keep it up.
phildaant and DRaven72 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Yeah a lot more drama than action in this one, I wonder what are the numbers right now on infected/death on Earth, yeah it's gonna be hard to calculate with most modern comms down, they just can hear a few radios here and there..
phildaant likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #363 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
This is an excellent show. This whole episode was just on the ship and about if he had the virus or not and yet it was gripping and well done. I loved the re-enlistment at the end. I think the captain is almost, just almost over acting the tough guy part but it works. Show really has me hooked, I hope they keep it up.
Last night's episode worked for me too. I was critical about the previous episode, but the show redeemed itself with me this week. That part at the end was really good.
gwsat and phildaant like this.
post #364 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I liked the episode because it got rid of the speculation by the crew on what's going on. No more of the 'info given out on a need to know basis'.

The captain and the doctor made it clear - here is what's happening and why we're doing it. For those of the crew who still wanted to leave after being informed, the captain was still good with that. The re-enlistment of those who wanted to leave differs from the book.

Now what do they do with the mole?
phildaant likes this.
post #365 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I liked the episode over all, but I was really frustrated when the world's leading virologist and epedimiologist tells the captain that the lieutenant is not sick with the virus, but the captain ignores her. She was adamant and explained to him in fairly easily understood ways that he couldn't be infected with the killer virus and he must have been bitten by an insect or something while in the jungle. Then someone else says, "She might be wrong, skipper!", and suddenly he does the worst possible thing from a morale perspective and initiates the bio-threat lockdown even after he'd been putting so much effort and thought into being careful about not causing them alarm before. It would have made more sense if she'd had at least some small doubt, but she clearly knew the truth and yet the captain still took epedemiology advice from a regular seaman instead of the highly skilled scientist standing right in font of him.

The outcome was for the better in end I guess. It's a lot better for the crew to be completely informed of everything that happens, as it happens, so they can roll with the punches as they come and feel more involved in the whole process, rather than stewing on things and imagining the situation as possibly being far worse than it really is.
post #366 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
They talked about the water reclaimer and recycler plus they clearly said they convert sea water.
Any idea how they desalinate sea water?
phildaant likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #367 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Any idea how they desalinate sea water?
Evaporators are used to desalinate sea water. It's a process that has been used onboard ships for more than 200 years. Evaporators are distilleries by any other name,
post #368 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Evaporators are used to desalinate sea water. It's a process that has been used onboard ships for more than 200 years. Evaporators are distilleries by any other name,
A I said, we used steam powered evaporators. Since they use gas turbines, I was wondering what evaporative process they use on the new ships.
phildaant likes this.

post #369 of 604 Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I thought this was the best episode yet.
post #370 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised the navy guys are getting this one wrong. They actually briefly mentioned the "RO" system in the episode when they had water issues. Arleigh Burke class destroyers use reverse osmosis filtration systems. Water is forced against a filter that won't allow anything larger than a water molecule to pass through. The salt, minerals and sediments are flushed out into the ocean. The system requires a fair amount of pressure to force the water through so without power from the turbines it can't function.
73shark likes this.
post #371 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I liked the episode overall. Some really good moments in it.

I didn't have a problem with the captain going against what the doctor said. He has a ship full of people to protect and they may be the last hope for the world. If she's wrong and they all get the disease, game over. He was burned by her before on the secret Arctic mission. I don't blame him for being overly cautious.
Mark12547 likes this.
post #372 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
I'm surprised the navy guys are getting this one wrong. They actually briefly mentioned the "RO" system in the episode when they had water issues. Arleigh Burke class destroyers use reverse osmosis filtration systems. Water is forced against a filter that won't allow anything larger than a water molecule to pass through. The salt, minerals and sediments are flushed out into the ocean. The system requires a fair amount of pressure to force the water through so without power from the turbines it can't function.
Thanks for the correction. My answer as to how fresh water is produced aboard an Arleigh Burke destroyer was based on things I learned long ago, not quite as long ago as wooden ships and iron men, but you get the idea.
phildaant likes this.
post #373 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
I didn't have a problem with the captain going against what the doctor said. He has a ship full of people to protect and they may be the last hope for the world. If she's wrong and they all get the disease, game over. He was burned by her before on the secret Arctic mission. I don't blame him for being overly cautious.
The main reason I had a problem with it is that it completely undermines the doctor in the one area that she is the ultimate expert in and she should be the ultimate authority in. If she says the lieutenant can't possibly have the virus then he doesn't and that's that.

She is, as far as we know so far, the only hope for the human race. Going against her sends a clear signal that he doesn't trust her as a scientist and the natural reaction for the crew would be to lose what little faith they might have had in her as well. At that point the only logical thing for them to do would be to head home at full steam and see if they can find out what happened to their families and try to help them in any way they can. There would be no reason to stay aboard the ship if the doctor doesn't know what she's doing as supporting her is their only real purpose. His decision was short-sighted. He learned his lesson I guess and realized he has to trust her or it's all over.
post #374 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Thanks for the correction. My answer as to how fresh water is produced aboard an Arleigh Burke destroyer was based on things I learned long ago, not quite as long ago as wooden ships and iron men, but you get the idea.

Ahhh yes, those were, indeed, the days ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #375 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 424
People liked this week's episode? Huh. I thought it was the show's worst so far.

I had a good laugh when the captain called all hands to the flight deck, yet we only see about two dozen people assembled there. What happened to the rest of the crew?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #376 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
People liked this week's episode? Huh. I thought it was the show's worst so far.

I had a good laugh when the captain called all hands to the flight deck, yet we only see about two dozen people assembled there. What happened to the rest of the crew?
My exact thought as well, and then I wondered how they (supposedly) got 200+ crew into the helo hanger to hear the doctor.
phildaant likes this.
post #377 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
My exact thought as well, and then I wondered how they (supposedly) got 200+ crew into the helo hanger to hear the doctor.
Yeah, and who is watching the other parts on the ship like incoming enemies? :P It was an OK episode. No action scenes.
post #378 of 604 Old 07-29-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
The main reason I had a problem with it is that it completely undermines the doctor in the one area that she is the ultimate expert in and she should be the ultimate authority in. If she says the lieutenant can't possibly have the virus then he doesn't and that's that.

She is, as far as we know so far, the only hope for the human race. Going against her sends a clear signal that he doesn't trust her as a scientist and the natural reaction for the crew would be to lose what little faith they might have had in her as well. At that point the only logical thing for them to do would be to head home at full steam and see if they can find out what happened to their families and try to help them in any way they can. There would be no reason to stay aboard the ship if the doctor doesn't know what she's doing as supporting her is their only real purpose. His decision was short-sighted. He learned his lesson I guess and realized he has to trust her or it's all over.
That scene setup the whole drama sequence with the crew questioning the officers and getting all worked-up over a possible outbreak. Later, this was defused after the real reason for the sailor's illness was found. Afterwards, the doctor had that heart-to-heart w/the Capt. stating that if they were all going to survive, he needed to "trust" her, etc. It was all part of the story, and it seemed to work well. I thought the last episode was a BIG improvement in writing and storyline from the previous monkey jungle episode.
gwsat likes this.
post #379 of 604 Old 08-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watching this show is a contradiction in terms for me since I detest animal testing and hate that story arc yet I cannot stop watching this show and want to see these people survive and get the cure for the virus - am I hypocritical ?
I like addition of the guy crushing on the Doc and he makes me laugh lol ! I hope Season 2 brings more suspense and plot twists and I am happy it got renewed .
phildaant likes this.

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE
post #380 of 604 Old 08-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
After this run of The Last Ship we can see Mitra again in a theatrical release, "The Loft", December 2014.
post #381 of 604 Old 08-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnitLover View Post
Watching this show is a contradiction in terms for me since I detest animal testing and hate that story arc yet I cannot stop watching this show and want to see these people survive and get the cure for the virus - am I hypocritical ?
I like addition of the guy crushing on the Doc and he makes me laugh lol ! I hope Season 2 brings more suspense and plot twists and I am happy it got renewed .
I totally agree with you about animal testing. I think (at least for me) the difference is knowing "no animals have been harmed" during the filming of the show.
phildaant likes this.
post #382 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't they suit up the survivor, analyze her blood, confirm she's not carrying the virus then remove suit and do further tests? mmm

And again the Captain needs to go on every away mission, what's up with that? I guess they want as much Eric Dane on screen as possible
phildaant likes this.

post #383 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Shouldn't they suit up the survivor, analyze her blood, confirm she's not carrying the virus then remove suit and do further tests? mmm

And again the Captain needs to go on every away mission, what's up with that? I guess they want as much Eric Dane on screen as possible
I like last night's episode a lot. Heh, captain going away is like the captains in Star Trek!
post #384 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

These 2 points sum up my exact feelings toward this show after last nite's viewing. I couldn't believe they just assumed the survivor was immune w/o testing. And as for the captain, it's as thought the very thing that happened is one of the main reasons you don't send senior officers on missions.

Still, I do like the show so far. From a jarhead perspective, I was hoping there would be a few onboard when the show started. Overall, much better than most of what's on these days and I'm interested in where they're going with the Ruskies.

T
post #385 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yeah, they flubbed up big time by having the Jamaican woman walking onto the ship without a suit and others greeting her without a suit.
post #386 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnitLover View Post
Yes. Because medical science would absolutely need animal testing to create a cure for a disease like this. Or, I suppose, involuntary human test subjects, which I assume you would also be against. So yes, on face value, it's hypocritical to be against animal testing yet want a deadly disease to be cured. This applies to the real world as well as the TV world.
post #387 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That was the answer I was looking for. Since we (Berkeley class DDGs) used evaporators that were steam powered and I knew they couldn't do that, wondered how they were making fresh water. Guess I missed the part about RO systems.

post #388 of 604 Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Yeah, they flubbed up big time by having the Jamaican woman walking onto the ship without a suit and others greeting her without a suit.
I'm watching the episode now. I'm surprised at the jump to conclusion that the girl was immune instead of another possibility: that she may be this year's "Typhoid Mary".

With that possibility, the doctor should have been suited up when she greeted her, and, after allowing her to have water and food, take a sample for testing for the pandemic.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 08-04-2014 at 10:20 PM.
post #389 of 604 Old 08-05-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw Eric Dane last night in Mexico, having fun in a Mexican TV show (airs nationally), of course promoting this show that is airing on TNT Latin-America.

post #390 of 604 Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
C'mon guys, this show is total cheese and everyone knows it. I don't see anything that hints that they're trying to take themselves seriously. Does it make sense that she gets on the ship without suits and a quarantine? No. Does it make sense that the Captain goes on all the missions? No.

And it's not supposed to, just roll with it.
Tack and gwsat like this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page