The Last Ship on TNT - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 289Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
reds75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Did not see this ending coming, good episode.
reds75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
mylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: just north of Atlanta
Posts: 925
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Did not see this ending coming, good episode.
Neither did I, I wonder if they picked up Tex?
phildaant likes this.
mylan is online now  
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
jpillar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
Neither did I, I wonder if they picked up Tex?
I find it ironic that the show is titled the Last Ship when it is obviously not.
phildaant likes this.
jpillar is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
I find it ironic that the show is titled the Last Ship when it is obviously not.
Maybe Russian ship will not be gone to keep that true. :P
phildaant is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
C'mon guys, this show is total cheese and everyone knows it. I don't see anything that hints that they're trying to take themselves seriously. Does it make sense that she gets on the ship without suits and a quarantine? No. Does it make sense that the Captain goes on all the missions? No.

And it's not supposed to, just roll with it.
Well said! If I had taken seriously the frequent howlers this show's writers come up with to amp up the drama, I would have been long gone. Slowbuscuit gives good advice: just roll with it. I'm glad that's what I have done because of the remarkable accuracy of many of the shipboard scenes. Overall The Last Ship is a lot of fun.
Tack, phildaant and swallan like this.
gwsat is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Another excellent episode despite the little flaw in letting the lady on the ship with no precautions. Great ending to another great episode. Really enjoying this season so far.
phildaant likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Jack Rainville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found the flashback with the doctor who is now aboard the Russian ship interesting. The doctor on the Nathan James kept saying it looked to her like the virus had been engineered by someone to be much more effective and deadly than the primordial one. The flashback suggested to me that the other doctor was testing out some treatment on himself and that he might have incubated the new unstoppable strain that spread to his wife who carried it to several other countries on whatever tour she was about to take. If he's the inadvertant culprit then he might also be the only, or at least the best, chance for finding a cure or a vaccine.

He would be patient zero of the deadly strain that wiped out everyone, yet he survived. He might be the "Typhoid Mary" in this case. I'm not sure how he could have infected his wife without infecting everyone on the Russian ship though. We've never seen him outside of the plastic tent so maybe he's still carrying the virus even though somehow it's not killing him. The Russians might even know that he's the cause and that he's the best hope for a cure.
phildaant likes this.
Jack Rainville is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I found it interesting that the destroyer was able to track and destroy a small drone, while the larger Russian cruiser couldn't detect and destroy the USN helicopter. Interesting? I'm beginning to think the destroyer is the Roadrunner and the cruiser Wile E. Coyote.
phildaant likes this.
Garrett Adams is offline  
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomhunter8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I found it interesting that the destroyer was able to track and destroy a small drone, while the larger Russian cruiser couldn't detect and destroy the USN helicopter. Interesting? I'm beginning to think the destroyer is the Roadrunner and the cruiser Wile E. Coyote.
Those Acme radar systems just don't work well sometimes.
Garrett Adams and phildaant like this.
tomhunter8 is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,321
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Yeah, basically nothing that happened in this episode made any real world sense, but hey - it's TV. And our stuff is better than their stuff! Go USA!

No wonder the Navy gave them unfettered access to their hardware. In this world, there are good guys and there are bad guys and there's no way the twain shall be confused. The Russian commander is just slightly less evil than the yacht commander in the last episode, even down to making powerless women his sex slaves. This show is basically a moving recruiting poster.

And that may have been the problem with 'Last Resort' and it's premature (IMO) cancellation. Too much moral ambiguity amongst the "good guys". We like our heroes to be unflinchingly heroic. Michael Bay & TNT have clearly learned that lesson.
gwsat, phildaant and Wytchone like this.
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, basically nothing that happened in this episode made any real world sense, but hey - it's TV. And our stuff is better than their stuff! Go USA!

No wonder the Navy gave them unfettered access to their hardware. In this world, there are good guys and there are bad guys and there's no way the twain shall be confused. The Russian commander is just slightly less evil than the yacht commander in the last episode, even down to making powerless women his sex slaves. This show is basically a moving recruiting poster.

And that may have been the problem with 'Last Resort' and it's premature (IMO) cancellation. Too much moral ambiguity amongst the "good guys". We like our heroes to be unflinchingly heroic. Michael Bay & TNT have clearly learned that lesson.
I agree. One of the many comments I saw why people disliked the show was Russia was bad, Al Quieda was bad.. They would never do stuff like what is shown in the show. Well the show as in production before the who issues in Ukraine and ISIS stufff.

Still getting up good vs bad guys is a great tale. Hell I would like to see it told from the Russian side (and that may be coming) if its proven it was created by them.

On side note so much fun watching show with Ebola landing in the US.
phildaant likes this.
Wytchone is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
A contributing element that makes this show as good as it is - a really really good Sound Design. On a 5.1 system, this show rocks.
phildaant likes this.
Orbitron is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Another excellent episode despite the little flaw in letting the lady on the ship with no precautions.
Yes, exactly.
She is immune, but she could very well be a carrier like Typhoid Mary was, potentially infecting everyone on the Nathan James.
phildaant likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
replayrob is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
A contributing element that makes this show as good as it is - a really really good Sound Design. On a 5.1 system, this show rocks.
Nice. I like its bass even from my measley 2.1 setup. Haha.
phildaant is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
A contributing element that makes this show as good as it is - a really really good Sound Design. On a 5.1 system, this show rocks.

This show's 5.1 sounds pretty crappy over Comcast.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post
I agree. One of the many comments I saw why people disliked the show was Russia was bad, Al Quieda was bad.. They would never do stuff like what is shown in the show. Well the show as in production before the who issues in Ukraine and ISIS stufff.

Still getting up good vs bad guys is a great tale. Hell I would like to see it told from the Russian side (and that may be coming) if its proven it was created by them.

On side note so much fun watching show with Ebola landing in the US.
I'd like to see the Russian side too. Remember, this group of Russian bad guys are supposedly a "rogue" element run by a rogue Admiral. We've only briefly heard his story about what's going on in Russia, and for all we know, there could well be another Russian ship crewed by good guys trying to hunt down this rogue Admiral. Not a bad storyline, huh?
phildaant likes this.
cajieboy is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Wytchone is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This show's 5.1 sounds pretty crappy over Comcast.
Especially when Comcasts software doesn't recognize the DD codec on DVR'd shows. Everything watched DVR'd is 2.0.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I agree that the villains in the show have been deliciously evil. They have served to make our square jawed steely eyed captain and his crew seem pretty heroic. Blue and Gold, baby, Blue and Gold!
John dhein likes this.
gwsat is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Especially when Comcasts software doesn't recognize the DD codec on DVR'd shows. Everything watched DVR'd is 2.0.
And telling Comcast doesn't work?
phildaant is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
And telling Comcast doesn't work?
I've tried... repeatedly. All they say is their engineers are working on it. This was reported on their own forum last year!! They still haven't fixed it.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Xfin...s/td-p/1832025
phildaant likes this.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I've tried... repeatedly. All they say is their engineers are working on it. This was reported on their own forum last year!! They still haven't fixed it.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Xfin...s/td-p/1832025
That is awful. I am not looking forward to Comcast from Time Warner Cable (TWC). Keep following up! Also post on other Comcast areas like newsgroups, Broadband/DSL Reports, etc.
Waboman likes this.
phildaant is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
That is awful. I am not looking forward to Comcast from Time Warner Cable (TWC). Keep following up! Also post on other Comcast areas like newsgroups, Broadband/DSL Reports, etc.
Forget Comcast, do the whole series in great picture and sound when it's out on Blu-ray.
phildaant likes this.
Orbitron is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Forget Comcast, do the whole series in great picture and sound when it's out on Blu-ray.
But it will be a while. Show me where The Last Ship is on BR? :P
phildaant is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mark12547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Forget Comcast, do the whole series in great picture and sound when it's out on Blu-ray.
Is it likely the series will come out on Blu-ray and not just anamorphic DVD?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Mark12547 is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
No announced date but 3 months after Season 1 is a good estimate for disc release.

What's of interest to me is will the Blu-ray have a Dolby Atmos mix.
Orbitron is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,321
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
What's of interest to me is will the Blu-ray have a Dolby Atmos mix.
For a TV show? Highly doubtful. Atmos mixes are a relatively new thing in the HT world. It will probably be years before it filters down to TV shows on shiny disks.
phildaant likes this.
archiguy is online now  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Especially when Comcasts software doesn't recognize the DD codec on DVR'd shows. Everything watched DVR'd is 2.0.
Do you have an X1 DVR? I've found that in the last several months the box loses the ability to recognize 5.1 every time I turn on my TV or projector and a new HDMI handshake is established. However, if I go into the setup menu, change the Audio setting to "Stereo" and then change it back to "Surround" again, I can get full 5.1. I have to do this every time I turn on my equipment.

This is a relatively recent development. It didn't do this a few months ago.

The Last Ship still sounds awful, though. Other shows on other networks sound fine.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
For a TV show? Highly doubtful. Atmos mixes are a relatively new thing in the HT world. It will probably be years before it filters down to TV shows on shiny disks.
Don't expect it to have a Dolby Atmos mix but i wouldn't be shocked if it does.
Orbitron is offline  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
For a TV show? Highly doubtful. Atmos mixes are a relatively new thing in the HT world. It will probably be years before it filters down to TV shows on shiny disks.
Same with 4K.
phildaant is offline  
 

Tags
the last ship , tnt
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off