The Last Ship on TNT - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 433Likes

post #421 of 820 Old 08-06-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Do you have an X1 DVR? I've found that in the last several months the box loses the ability to recognize 5.1 every time I turn on my TV or projector and a new HDMI handshake is established. However, if I go into the setup menu, change the Audio setting to "Stereo" and then change it back to "Surround" again, I can get full 5.1. I have to do this every time I turn on my equipment.

This is a relatively recent development. It didn't do this a few months ago.

The Last Ship still sounds awful, though. Other shows on other networks sound fine.
I do have an X1 DVR. For me, it's been happening since I got it. Sounds like my X1 bug might be a bit different version of the strain. After watching a recorded show, when switching back to cable tv, it stays in 2.0. I have to go into the menu and select 'stereo' then back to 'surround' and then 5.1 kicks in. This is on EVERY show watched via DVR. Once I get it back to 5.1 it will remember the surround setting when I turn on my pj. However, once a DVR'd show is watched it's back to 2.0.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 820 Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I got my first X1 box last week (ARRIS-Motorola XG1-M), and so far it stays on Surround, Dolby Digital [3/2.1].
post #423 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
When you say 'sound sucks on Comcast', what you really mean is 'on Comcast DVR'. The sound is DD 5.1 and is just fine with my Tivo Roamio DVR on Comcast.
mike1812 and gwsat like this.
post #424 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 72
^ yeah, that's what I was about to write. My Tivo Premiere using Comcast cablecard has NO problem with the surround sound. I gave up on Comcast dvr's a couple years ago. . .and what they want for X1 (especially after reading the above issues) - no thanks!
post #425 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
C'mon guys, this show is total cheese and everyone knows it. I don't see anything that hints that they're trying to take themselves seriously. Does it make sense that she gets on the ship without suits and a quarantine? No. Does it make sense that the Captain goes on all the missions? No.

And it's not supposed to, just roll with it.

At least they are not under a giant dome ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #426 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
When you say 'sound sucks on Comcast', what you really mean is 'on Comcast DVR'. The sound is DD 5.1 and is just fine with my Tivo Roamio DVR on Comcast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
^ yeah, that's what I was about to write. My Tivo Premiere using Comcast cablecard has NO problem with the surround sound. I gave up on Comcast dvr's a couple years ago. . .and what they want for X1 (especially after reading the above issues) - no thanks!
Yep, me three. The 5.1 audio on The Last Ship sounds just as good on my TiVo Premiere Elite as any other 5.1 audio does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
At least they are not under a giant dome ..
As silly as The Last Ship often is, compared to what happens on Under the Dome, it's a news report.
mike1812 likes this.
post #427 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 805
I've read that the X1 DVR from Comcast has been problematic ever since they brought it to market. They wanted me to upgrade to it, I did some research and told them. "thanks, but no thanks", got a TiVo Roamio Basic and couldn't be happier.
mike1812 and slowbiscuit like this.
post #428 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I've read that the X1 DVR from Comcast has been problematic ever since they brought it to market. They wanted me to upgrade to it, I did some research and told them. "thanks, but no thanks", got a TiVo Roamio Basic and couldn't be happier.
I've heard that the Cox Whole Home DVR is just as bug ridden as the Comcast X1 apparently is. I have had TiVos ever since 2000 but for a few years before the TiVo Series3 was introduced, I had to use a Cox DVR in order to record programs in HD. Once the Series3 boxes hit the street, though I dumped the Cox HD DVR with a smile on my face. I have used only TiVos ever since.

The only downside to modern TiVo boxes is that they make us slaves to the cable companies. What the hell, though, I am old and set in my ways and Cox is also my high speed Internet and telephone provider so it is unlikely I would give up on Cox Communications even if I didn't have TiVos.
mike1812 likes this.
post #429 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
As I wrote previously, I can get 5.1 from my DVR recordings if I toggle the Surround setting off and back on. I get The Last Ship in 5.1. It sounds very poor, even in 5.1. The dynamic range is compressed to hell. Other network programming is much better.

I don't know whether this is a Comcast issue or a TNT issue, but it's been pretty consistent since the show premiered.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #430 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
The X1 can be buggy, yes. But despite those bugs, it's by far the nicest DVR I've ever used. Its interface is so much more intuitive than any other brand or model I've tried.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #431 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I've heard that the Cox Whole Home DVR is just as bug ridden as the Comcast X1 apparently is. I have had TiVos ever since 2000 but for a few years before the TiVo Series3 was introduced, I had to use a Cox DVR in order to record programs in HD. Once the Series3 boxes hit the street, though I dumped the Cox HD DVR with a smile on my face. I have used only TiVos ever since.

The only downside to modern TiVo boxes is that they make us slaves to the cable companies. What the hell, though, I am old and set in my ways and Cox is also my high speed Internet and telephone provider so it is unlikely I would give up on Cox Communications even if I didn't have TiVos.
The Roamio Basic can be used as an OTA DVR, which could come in handy were I to move a bit closer to where the transmitters are, while the 2 upper models are cable only. There is a DIRECTV TiVo now but from what I've read it doesn't stand up too well against the company's own brand of DVRs.
post #432 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The X1 can be buggy, yes. But despite those bugs, it's by far the nicest DVR I've ever used. Its interface is so much more intuitive than any other brand or model I've tried.
I was tempted to be sure, this was before I got the 4 tuner TiVo, but my browsing of X1 forums scared me away. It's supposed to be quite the marvel though and hopefully it will eventually perform as advertised. There's not many things worse than sitting down to watch your favorite show and have the DVR give you what amounts to a "wut?" when you try and play the requested program.
post #433 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well here's to you guys and your fancy Tivo's that let you watch DVR'd shows in 5.1

Spoiler!
mike1812 and gwsat like this.

post #434 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Well here's to you guys and your fancy Tivo's that let you watch DVR'd shows in 5.1

Spoiler!
I see nothing in your spoiler box!
post #435 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Roamio Basic can be used as an OTA DVR, which could come in handy were I to move a bit closer to where the transmitters are, while the 2 upper models are cable only. There is a DIRECTV TiVo now but from what I've read it doesn't stand up too well against the company's own brand of DVRs.
I forgot that the latest TiVos once again can receive OTA signals. My TiVo Premiere Elite can't do that but it nevertheless serves my purposes perfectly. These days I have no need for OTA and the Premiere Elite is equipped with a 2TB hard drive and is covered by a Lifetime Subscription. Should I ever need to receive an OTA signal I could use my Series3, which still works as well as ever and is also covered with a Lifetime Subscription.
post #436 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I hear you. If you are pleased with the X1 overall, it clearly makes sense for you to keep it, occasional bugs notwithstanding. Despite being a TiVo fanboy of many years standing, I am the first to admit that TiVos aren't perfect.
post #437 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I hear you. If you are pleased with the X1 overall, it clearly makes sense for you to keep it, occasional bugs notwithstanding. Despite being a TiVo fanboy of many years standing, I am the first to admit that TiVos aren't perfect.
Tivo?? I didn't see any Tivo. Was it in the Wardroom, Or Chiefs Quarters?

Could we stop this freaking threadjack, please?
post #438 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

It was next to MacBook with the outboard webcam. ;-)
post #439 of 820 Old 08-07-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
C'mon guys, this show is total cheese and everyone knows it. I don't see anything that hints that they're trying to take themselves seriously. Does it make sense that she gets on the ship without suits and a quarantine? No. Does it make sense that the Captain goes on all the missions? No.

And it's not supposed to, just roll with it.
I hear what you're saying, and I have definitely been trying to "just roll with it". But every time I start getting into the story, etc., I get slammed by beyond-belief faux pas that shock the sensibilities of reason. This show has all the great ingredients to make an excellent show, but blows the opportunity with simple story-line mistakes. Perhaps my expectations were set too high after that well-made pilot. It's not too late to "right" the Ship, if only the writers and director paid a little more attention to story detail. As for the ship and actors, this is all good.
post #440 of 820 Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
It's just like 24, leave your believability blinkers off and go with the action. Just like pretty much any action movie or show ever made. Plus it's summer time, what do you expect?

The ship doesn't need to be righted, in other words. Other than the (mostly) realistic showing of life aboard the ship, it's not a serious show. You're on the wrong network if you want something a little more realistic.

BOOM.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 08-08-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #441 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed tonight's episode especially the (2/seco)nd half. Now, it is The Last Ship again until another ship comes up? Hehe.
post #442 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's just like 24, leave your believability blinkers off and go with the action. Just like pretty much any action movie or show ever made. Plus it's summer time, what do you expect?

The ship doesn't need to be righted, in other words. Other than the (mostly) realistic showing of life aboard the ship, it's not a serious show. You're on the wrong network if you want something a little more realistic.

BOOM.
Want realism? Watch documentaries.
post #443 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Seems like there is more footage of the ship moving when they come out of commercial than in the actual show.

On audio: that strong bass explosion at the end of the episode was amazing.
phildaant likes this.
post #444 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Seems like there is more footage of the ship moving when they come out of commercial than in the actual show.

On audio: that strong bass explosion at the end of the episode was amazing.
Yep, even with my measley 2.1 speaker setup. Haha. I wonder if we will see new Russians. Hmm!
post #445 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Want realism? Watch documentaries.
Actually, I liked tonight's episode very much, but you missed the point of my critique entirely. Similar to reading a fictional novel, this is story-telling, and when the writer and/or director makes some big slip-ups/mistakes in the telling of the story, you risk losing the reader altogether. Just to simply wax over these story faux pas errors is intellectual laziness. Otherwise, the writers, creators, director, etc. can just throw any mesh-mash on the wall, and call it acceptable for mass audiences to lap-up.
phildaant likes this.
post #446 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Want realism? Watch Under the Dome.
Fixed it for ya.
phildaant likes this.

post #447 of 820 Old 08-10-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Fixed it for ya.
Argh!!
post #448 of 820 Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
I'm guessing the Navy just gave them access to the ship for a day or two and they filled a drive with all those shots that they then dole out during the season.
phildaant likes this.
post #449 of 820 Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Pretty good episode. I always love it when TV shows make the mighty Russians look like a bunch of bumbling fools.
phildaant likes this.
post #450 of 820 Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Watching the Russian ship sitting dead in the water while serial explosives are being detonated all over the ship was a lot of fun. The only thing that might have made the episode more fun would have been to see the detestable and thoroughly deranged Admiral Ruskov die particularly painfully.

Somebody needs to take away the toothpick that the Scandinavian scientist, who is Patient Zero, always has dangling from his mouth.

Loved it when Doctor Scott (Rhona Mitra) blew out the brains of the Russian officer. It reminded me of her days as the kick-ass Major Rachel Dalton on Strike Back. In fact, there is a lot about the over the top violence of The Last Ship that reminds me of Strike Back. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
phildaant and Wytchone like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page