post #511 of 604 Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I think it was a capacitor. She was claiming she could/should go get a resistor or transistor or something instead of him, can't remember exactly what, but he corrected her and said it was a capacitor.
I think she asked if he needed a vacuum tube and he corrected her. You may be right that what he actually needed was a capacitor rather than a transistor.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 604 Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
I think it was a capacitor. She was claiming she could/should go get a resistor or transistor or something instead of him, can't remember exactly what, but he corrected her and said it was a capacitor.
She said "tube" and he corrected her and said he needed a "capacitor". Just any old capacitor would do I guess!

What struck me is the fact that there was an electronic parts store in a town that didn't look to be much bigger than a whistle stop.
phildaant likes this.
post #513 of 604 Old 08-20-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I think she just didn't see the deader that was in the back room.

My guess would be that the store once was an old-style TV repair shop, among other things. Maybe lots of people in the area have old fashioned HAM radio sets, too, which might have kept them in business.

For me it was quite shudder-worthy when she cleaned her son's face with her saliva. The captain had better find them quick!

Selden
post #514 of 604 Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
She said "tube" and he corrected her and said he needed a "capacitor". Just any old capacitor would do I guess!

What struck me is the fact that there was an electronic parts store in a town that didn't look to be much bigger than a whistle stop.
She did say vacuum tube first. I was ready for her to get a couple boxes of Gold Lion KT88's and do some tube rolling.
Keenan likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #515 of 604 Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Funny how you will want action in a contagion-type show, at least we saw some "zombies" walking around, I don't recall who is that woman that was hiding from those X red raiders.

So, cure found right? now how to mass produce it? they are going to have to go to the CDC, aren't any CDC labs near shore anywhere?
They talked about this on the show and needing a lab with the equipment needed to produce this in quantity and they mentioned the CDC but stated it was to far in-land and then recommended another site closer to the coast.

post #516 of 604 Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I watched the season finale of The Last Ship in nearly real time this evening. With the Nathan James being stuck at anchor in Baltimore harbor and the crew having been removed I am ready to dump the show early next season if the writers don't figure a way to return the crew to the ship to do some fighting and steaming. If as I fear, the ship is to be relegated to the background I'll soon be out. Hope I'm wrong about this but that's sure the way it looks to me right now.
phildaant likes this.
post #517 of 604 Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I watched the season finale of The Last Ship in nearly real time this evening. With the Nathan James being stuck at anchor in Baltimore harbor and the crew having been removed I am ready to dump the show early next season if the writers don't figure a way to return the crew to the ship to do some fighting and steaming. If as I fear, the ship is to be relegated to the background I'll soon be out. Hope I'm wrong about this but that's sure the way it looks to me right now.
I'm pretty much the opposite, not necessarily about the ship, I suspect it's still gonna be a big part of the show. I just got a lot more interested in the show tonight. I thought it was a pretty good season finale.
phildaant likes this.
post #518 of 604 Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Season 1 finale was decent. I like the (seco/2)nd half of it. See you guys next summer? :P
post #519 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 504
I enjoyed the season finale. When Chandler said they're burning the bodies to power the city and the next shot was a close up of a lamp getting powered on, I had to chuckle. A Soylent Green moment. Looking forward to next season.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #520 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Yes. I thought it was a good season finale. It definitely left me wanting more. I'll be looking forward to the second season next Summer.
phildaant likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #521 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Season 1 finale was decent. I like the (seco/2)nd half of it. See you guys next summer? :P
Yep!
phildaant likes this.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #522 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Good ending to the season. Some compelling story lines to finish it off.
phildaant likes this.
post #523 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Pretty good and grim finale, can't wait how are they going to get the ship back...

No wonder the vigilantes wanted to take that woman out, she's just too evil..

The cabin crew should have rushed that trooper, no way he can kill all of them..
phildaant likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #524 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Pretty good and grim finale, can't wait how are they going to get the ship back...

No wonder the vigilantes wanted to take that woman out, she's just too evil..

The cabin crew should have rushed that trooper, no way he can kill all of them..
I agree. They're all trained military personnel. There's no way they'd just give in that easily.
phildaant likes this.

Selden
post #525 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I enjoyed the episode but I laughed out loud at the end. "They're burning the bodies to power the city!" They really didn't need to go there.

It consumes a great deal of energy to burn a body. You sure as hell can't produce power by doing it and of course it would be a hell of a lot easier to just cut down some trees and burn those, or get some coal or diesel fuel or anything else that would be sitting in massive unused stockpiles now that over 80 percent of the population suddenly died and left it behind.

I'm looking forward to watching them extricate themselves from the situation. I'm assuming it's going to somehow end in the destruction of the lab in Baltimore, forcing them back out to sea in search of another facility.
phildaant likes this.
post #526 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
I've tried over this season to watch most of the various tidbits TNT has tossed out .. 2-3 minute shorts on cast, crew, ship .. etc .. from what I gather, they were allowed access to the Nathan James .. a fictional ship name, USS Dewey and USS Halsey being the actual ships used .. as they were docked .. if the ships have subsequently been deployed, I'd have to guess the use as an actual set piece may be limited to previously shot stock footage as well as land based constructed sets .. just a guess, but one of the comments made by Bay was "We were very fortunate to have had access while these ships were docked" ..

On a side note, many of the extras used in first season filming are actual Navy crewmembers ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #527 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
I'm pretty much the opposite, not necessarily about the ship, I suspect it's still gonna be a big part of the show. I just got a lot more interested in the show tonight. I thought it was a pretty good season finale.
Despite my fears that the NATHAN JAMES may be relegated to the background, I agree that the season finale was pretty engaging. I particularly enjoyed Alfre Woodard as the creepy survivor of the now mostly dead presidential administration. Woodard is a great actress, she elevates everything she is in. I find it fascinating that both the warlord (Titus Welliver) and the Woodard character are so interested in preserving the status quo, they are thwarting the production and dissemination of "The Cure." That's cold!
phildaant likes this.
post #528 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
I agree. They're all trained military personnel. There's no way they'd just give in that easily.
That was the only downside for me of this episode. I'm thinking no way 1 person with a pistol can take over a destroyer even with a reduced crew size. Still I imagine it is just a plot device that gets the story from point A to point Z.

As someone mentioned, Alfre Woodard did a good job playing a creepy in charge character. Looking forward to where the story goes next year.

T
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by mr b; 08-25-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
post #529 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:

I don't think we have to worry about the show getting land locked. Looks to me like they will scoop up Dad and the kids, rescue the Woodard characters daughter and make for points north or south. I do hope we get another display of the five inch gun in action.

Looked like they killed off the wife which opens the door for tension between the Captain and Rachel. Of course T.V. convention (and any hope for continued ratings) will never let them get together.

phildaant likes this.
post #530 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post
That was the only downside for me of this episode. I'm thinking no way 1 person with a pistol can take over a destroyer even with a reduced crew size. Still I imagine it is just a plot device that gets the story from point A to point Z.
The cop said that he had other armed men throughout the ship who would start picking off crew members one by one if they didn't dock and surrender.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #531 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The cop said that he had other armed men throughout the ship who would start picking off crew members one by one if they didn't dock and surrender.
Yep, he sure did and they've also got Dr. Scott and her aide may or may not be dead from that gun shot in the gut. We've got to get her out of there and Tex may have to come riding to the rescue. Lot of hairy stuff on tap for next season I suspect.
phildaant likes this.
post #532 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I liked the show. It is great summer fare and I am looking forward to next summer. By the way, this summer went too fast.
phildaant likes this.
post #533 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Good episode to end the season on. Come on Tex time to be a hero.
phildaant likes this.
post #534 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

He only had a handful of guys with him vs. 20-30 times that on the ship. The Navy guys/girls on the ship have much more advanced training than some run of the mill cops and much better weapons than the sidearms the cops have. The list goes on and on of why it wouldn't have worked, but it is TV.
phildaant likes this.
post #535 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
He only had a handful of guys with him vs. 20-30 times that on the ship. The Navy guys/girls on the ship have much more advanced training than some run of the mill cops and much better weapons than the sidearms the cops have.
The cops on the ship are armed. Although there are weapons on the ship, the majority of the crew don't carry weapons around with them as they do their daily duties. Also, they're not expecting the cops to attack them. Even if the superior numbers on the ship could eventually overcome them, the cops would kill dozens of unsuspecting sailors first.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #536 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

You Navy guys should like this article with Adam Baldwin and some details about the ship(s) and Navy protocols.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...the-Navy-Proud
phildaant likes this.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

post #537 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post
You Navy guys should like this article with Adam Baldwin and some details about the ship(s) and Navy protocols.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...the-Navy-Proud
Thanks for that link Joe. Very interesting. Nice to see that they at least know not to salute without a cover. Wasn't sure if the Navy was like the Marines.

Quote:
My bad, I must have been mistaken about what the policeman said about the other officers. I was thinking he was referring to other officers in Bmore. Still, I would hope that protocol dictates anyone boarding is searched and relieved of weapons regardless of their roles. Trust no one friend or foe. I still liked the episode. There was a lot of tension at the harbor meet. I was expecting them to realize it was a trap or that the guys in the cars weren't with the Alfre Woodard character.
JoeTiVo and phildaant like this.
post #538 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
It's funny when I see Adam Baldwin in "Last Ship", I keep thinking he's come a long way in the Military since "Full Metal Jacket" Animal Mother ..

Anybody who runs is a VC. Anybody who stands still is a well-disciplined VC.

You'd better flush out your head, new guy. This isn't about freedom; this is a slaughter. If I'm gonna get my b$#@s blown off for a word, my word is "poontang".
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #539 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I fear Tex will be a hero in the opener next Summer and pay the ultimate price.
post #540 of 604 Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post
Still, I would hope that protocol dictates anyone boarding is searched and relieved of weapons regardless of their roles. Trust no one friend or foe.
Given that the cop on the bridge had a gun, that obviously didn't happen.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page