post #31 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Enjoyed the pilot episode. I do loves me a good virus-apocalypse story. Looking forward to more.
I thought the pilot episode was pretty good also, maybe even a little better than I expected. Although some of the scenes were somewhat predicable, there's a dearth of good programming this summer so I'm sure I'll continue to watch. Having a good cast certainly helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I like how their ship doesn't take damage. Gets hit by missiles/rockets and keeps on ticking. Doesn't even blacken the paint.
mike1812 likes this.
post #33 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I like how their ship doesn't take damage. Gets hit by missiles/rockets and keeps on ticking. Doesn't even blacken the paint.
That's a genre trope of how "well built" these warships are. Remember the scene in BSG's miniseries pilot where the Galactica gets struck by a Cylon nuke and seems to suffer no permanent damage?
post #34 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I can handle overproduced. Visually incoherent, not so much.
That's my problem with Bay - at least in the Transformers movies. When the major battles happen, you can barely tell what's going on. I find myself looking for a Zoom Out button on my remote.
mike1812 and lokar like this.
post #35 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Enjoyed the pilot episode. I do loves me a good virus-apocalypse story. Looking forward to more.

Ditto .. worth continuing, at least based on the pilot ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #36 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Jayne!
And Rhona Mitra...
I'll give it a go.
Reason why I did and i liked the pilot. But i like end of the world stories and how people act during such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
That's my problem with Bay - at least in the Transformers movies. When the major battles happen, you can barely tell what's going on. I find myself looking for a Zoom Out button on my remote.
Although I like the Transformers movies, I do agree with you .. during the battle scenes, it's hard to catch everything going on .. and the first film in the series, to me anyway, was a little jerky on the CGI which made it even worse ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #38 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post
Reason why I did and i liked the pilot. But i like end of the world stories and how people act during such.

I probably went in with low expectations but thought the pilot was much better than what I was expecting .. I wonder if the concept was borrowed a little from World War Z and the fleet that was out in the ocean during the Zombie infestation ..

Uncle Willie

post #39 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I probably went in with low expectations but thought the pilot was much better than what I was expecting .. I wonder if the concept was borrowed a little from World War Z and the fleet that was out in the ocean during the Zombie infestation ..
Yeah most likey. But i keep thinking Subs should be fine and any remote islands. No zombies to attack you but people do stupid thing when under pressure that they would not do normally. That is what interests me the most so far and how it will be handled.

post #40 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I want to know where all the Nuke boats are.
post #41 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I think we were to believe that the defense system destroyed or blew up the rockets before they struck the ship.

They did show a few rockets hitting the flares, and they also do have the Phalanx system as well (which was featured)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #42 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Guess you missed the scene much later where that area was black and still smoking.

post #43 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Guess you missed the scene much later where that area was black and still smoking.
Well, by the end of the episode everything was back to normal.
post #44 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Really enjoyed the first episode. More then I thought I would. It was also nice that my father in-law was in town and he is a career Navy man of over 50 years. He was really into it and giving me insights into the ship.
gwsat and Doug Wallen like this.

post #45 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Yes, the first episode was very good.

I hope they can keep it going for the rest of the season.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #46 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not bad for a pilot episode. I've got it set on the Tivo for a season pass - let's see where it goes.

What happened to the Blackhawk the ship had? I never saw it get destroyed, but it's definitely not on deck (and I thought the docs used the hanger space for their lab)?
post #47 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I noticed the same thing. The aft deck was barren in the closing overhead shot. I think it was just a continuity slip up, plus they can always say the helicopter was high altitude scouting.
post #48 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The pilot was good enough for me to put it on the summer DvR list. I don't know if it was my local cable system, or something else, but I found the sound mix to be pretty inconsistent and not very good. It almost seemed as if the sound mix was unfinished but they broadcast what they had. I hope it improves in the coming weeks.

Home Theater is GREAT
post #49 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I liked the pilot episode. The attention to detail and faithfulness of the depiction of US Navy shipboard evolutions impressed me. They were among the best I have seen. Although Eric Dane is too much of a pretty boy to be totally convincing as a naval officer, he did look good in his uniform and he can actually salute, a skill that is largely unknown among actors. Even the ship was a recent vintage Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, albeit with a nonexistent hull number.

As usual, Rhona Mitra was at her hard-bitten but beautiful best, this time as a scientist. Now that we know her assistant is a Russian mole, there's no telling what might happen.

Like virtually all action thrillers, this show requires more than the usual level of willingness to suspend disbelief but as long as the production values remain as good as they were in the pilot, I'll stick around.
post #50 of 604 Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 170
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of HDTV Programming page).

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Solid Ratings for TNT’s ‘Last Ship’; ‘Falling Skies’ Down
By Rick Kissell, Variety.com - Jun. 23, 2014

Post-apocalyptic drama “The Last Ship” bowed to pretty good numbers Sunday for TNT, even as the net’s “Falling Skies” opened its fourth season with its lowest premiere scores to date.

Nielsen estimates that “Last Ship” averaged a 1.2 rating/4 share in adults 18-49, a 1.4/4 in adults 25-54 and 5.3 million total viewers for its 9 p.m. premiere, making it the top cable premiere of the summer in the key demos. In total viewers, it outdrew the series premiere of ABC’s music competition series “Rising Star” and ranks first among all 2014 cable premieres.

The 1.2 rating in 18-49 is the second highest drama bow of the past month, ahead of the likes of Fox’s “Gang-Related,” NBC’s “Crossbones,” AMC’s “Halt and Catch Fire” and ABC Family’s “Chasing Life.” NBC’s “The Night Shift,” which benefited from airing behind “America’s Got Talent,” opened to a 1.6 rating in late May.

Two weeks ago, TNT opened “Murder in the First” to a 0.64 rating in 18-49 and nearly 3.8 million viewers for its initial airing.

“Last Ship,” based on a novel of the same name, tells the story of a lone unaffected U.S. Navy ship following a global pandemic that wipes out 80% of the world’s population. Eric Dane and Rhona Mitra star

Following “Last Ship” on Sunday, the 10 p.m. season premiere of “Falling Skies” did a 1.0 rating/3 share in adults 18-49, a 1.3/3 in 25-54 and about 3.7 million total viewers. Last year’s two-hour, third-season premiere did a 1.5 rating in adults 18-49 and 4.21 million total viewers.

Counting a quickie repeat that aired at 11 p.m., “The Last Ship” drew 7.4 million total viewers on Sunday. And including its midnight encore, “Falling Skies” attracted 4.7 million.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/ratings/s...wn-1201242286/

Last edited by dad1153; 06-23-2014 at 11:09 PM.
post #51 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I liked the pilot episode. The attention to detail and faithfulness of the depiction of US Navy shipboard evolutions impressed me. They were among the best I have seen. Although Eric Dane is too much of a pretty boy to be totally convincing as a naval officer, he did look good in his uniform and he can actually salute, a skill that is largely unknown among actors. Even the ship was a recent vintage Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, albeit with a nonexistent hull number.

As usual, Rhona Mitra was at her hard-bitten but beautiful best, this time as a scientist. Now that we know her assistant is a Russian mole, there's no telling what might happen.

Like virtually all action thrillers, this show requires more than the usual level of willingness to suspend disbelief but as long as the production values remain as good as they were in the pilot, I'll stick around.
One of the reasons it looked so good and realistic on ship is because the Navy let them use a real ship to film on.

post #52 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I missed the pilot but the episode is free on iTunes... I'll give it a go, it looks good I think I'll like it...
post #53 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I thought the pilot was okay. Story seemed a bit choppy, like no explanation of who fired the nuke. I guess we'll eventually find out it was the Russians. It was like they tried to cram a 2-hour movie into a 44-minute program.
post #54 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post
I don't know if it was my local cable system, or something else, but I found the sound mix to be pretty inconsistent and not very good.
The audio was terrible here as well (Boston Comcast). Very low in volume and no dynamics at all, even after cranking it up. I don't watch anything else on TNT, so I don't know if that's a common problem for the network. For an action series, it was really distracting how weak the sound was.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #55 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
One of the reasons it looked so good and realistic on ship is because the Navy let them use a real ship to film on.
Yeah, the reason the ship looked so good was that it really was a recent vintage DDG. According to a Zap2it piece, two relatively new DDGs were used in filming, USS Halsey (DDG-97) and USS Dewey (DDG-105).
post #56 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
like no explanation of who fired the nuke. I guess we'll eventually find out it was the Russians.

Highly doubtful, unless they have missile silos in the US. When they were tracking the nuke, it showed a map of the UK and France, and the nuke was coming from the lower left, which lines up with the US. If it was from Russia, it would have been coming from the right.
post #57 of 604 Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
... Story seemed a bit choppy, like no explanation of who fired the nuke. I guess we'll eventually find out it was the Russians. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Highly doubtful, unless they have missile silos in the US. When they were tracking the nuke, it showed a map of the UK and France, and the nuke was coming from the lower left, which lines up with the US. If it was from Russia, it would have been coming from the right.
If the nuke was launched from a sub or a destroyer, it could have still come from Russia or one of the factions broken off from Russia. Or it could have been from any country that has both nuclear weapons and a ship or sub from which to launch them.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #58 of 604 Old 06-25-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

+1

We watched it last night & liked it. I think it has far more potential as an good apocalyptic action drama than Revolution turned out to be. I'm in!

I thought the portrayal of military aspects was pretty good.

I didn't know who the doctor actress was, but I knew I had seen her before. Reading your post, I just now realized she was in Doomsday! She must like end-of-the-world fiction

Steve
post #59 of 604 Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I enjoyed it, but to be honest, liked 'Last Resort' more. The latter seemed to be tighter and better written to me.
post #60 of 604 Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I didn't know who the doctor actress was, but I knew I had seen her before. Reading your post, I just now realized she was in Doomsday! She must like end-of-the-world fiction
She was also the lead character in Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans.

...Watched the pilot last night, and loved it. High production value (not surprising since Platinum Dunes is producing), good cast, good story, I'm very much looking forward to the next episodes. Anything that happens on a ship at sea, I'm already sold anyway.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page