Forum Jump: 
 289Likes

post #121 of 604 Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 657
I have been very pleased by how the show is going so far .. and as an added bonus, this ex-Army guy is learning a thing or two from you Navy guys ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 604 Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I wonder if the concept was borrowed a little from World War Z and the fleet that was out in the ocean during the Zombie infestation ..
As it's based on a novel from 1988, I don't think so.
post #123 of 604 Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
As you probably know, Joe, The Gyrines fall under the Navy rules, too.

Just kiddin', Semper Fi!
Yep, the Navy writes the checks.
post #124 of 604 Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Surprised to no one has mentioned the helo reappearing our of nowhere.

The airborne virus bothers me. To me, even being close to buildings with lots of infected bodies would result in enough of the virus escaping to infect those that get near said location. IMHO, all it would take is one spore of the virus to kill you. i don't think at this point in time that anywhere outside is safe.

But, in order for the show to survive, there has to be plot holes like this.

Now, if the good ole doc would have said that the virus has a relatively short lifespan in the air, then it would mean that after so long, protective suits would not be required. But, when arriving at a location, one would not long it has been since the last person died.

Lots of ifs.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #125 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallan View Post
morpheo after you watch triangle tell us what you think,as for the last ship we really like it.
I still haven't watched the second episode, but I've seen Triangle... It was great, I didn't know about the story beforehand so the twists were a nice surprise. It wasn't what I was expecting (I thought it was some sort of conventional horror/ghost story) but it was even better. Melissa George was excellent and it sure is the kind of story that keeps you thinking even after the credits...
Spoiler!

Anyway talking about this movie is too off topic so I'll stop there but this little film is one of my best blind buys! ....Tonight I'm going back to The Last Ship with ep. 2!
post #126 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
We have Triangle sitting in it's little red envelope on the coffee table at this very moment. We'll try to find some time to watch it over the holiday weekend. Based on these cryptic comments, I'm looking forward to it.
post #127 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Based on these cryptic comments, I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah..I didn't want to go into much detail about the story for 2 reasons: 1/wrong thread and 2/more importantly I think it's much more "rewarding" to go into this film completely blind. But I have a feeling you might like it too and do NOT open my spoiler!
post #128 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Yeah..I didn't want to go into much detail about the story for 2 reasons: 1/wrong thread and 2/more importantly I think it's much more "rewarding" to go into this film completely blind. But I have a feeling you might like it too and do NOT open my spoiler!
No chance, and bless you for using the tags. I don't subscribe to many threads so I'm not sure if e-mail notifications still expose the spoilers now that we've gone back to the "old" software.
post #129 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I like the show so far even though noticing plot holes like sealed suits but head gear can come off w/o regard to airborne contamination, plus no decontamination procedures mentioned for suited people before coming onboard ship & other people contact.

Andromeda Strain & I think Outbreak portray this about as accurately as one could want but this is TV not a technically correct SF movie.

Steve
post #130 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
At this point, I'm just going to assume they're parking it on the landing pad ... and when we don't see it on said pad it's up in the air patrolling/reconning.
post #131 of 604 Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
if after you watch triangle and you still don't quite understand it all go to Netflix . com and read the member reviews they have all kind of ideas,thats what I did and it helped a lot.
post #132 of 604 Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
At this point, I'm just going to assume they're parking it on the landing pad ... and when we don't see it on said pad it's up in the air patrolling/reconning.
That would be a waste of fuel. No need to patrol. The ship has radar, and other electronic gear, to do that.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #133 of 604 Old 07-04-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 138
Quote:
That would be a waste of fuel. No need to patrol. The ship has radar, and other electronic gear, to do that.
Well sure ... I'm just attempting to create a plausible reason for why the helo appears and disappears as necessary for the plot.
post #134 of 604 Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
RayGuy likes this.
post #135 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have to wonder how they picked up those two at the end without getting close to the Russian cruiser.
post #136 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
I have to wonder how they picked up those two at the end without getting close to the Russian cruiser.
That was real questionable.

I have determined this show will have its weekly chaotic event with a little bit of the virus/vaccine talk thrown in with an occasional advance of that story every few episodes. I'm not sure how much longer I will stick with this show.
post #137 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
The third episode was a lot better than the second, IMO.
tomhunter8 likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #138 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The third episode was a lot better than the second, IMO.
Agreed, but I think the show has been pretty good all along. Some of that, of course, is its naval setting, which I think has been done pretty well and has been a lot of fun, for me at least.
post #139 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Maybe a second boat. That's what I assumed. If launched from the ship after the Russian ship had a hole blown in it, the crew of the Russian ship would be preoccupied with that hole, not so much with a weak second boat heading their way.

What I wondered is how they made the big ship "invisible" to radar. I would have expected to see two echos show up on the screen, the stationary one from the aluminum foil and a second one. The dialog made more sense: the ship would appear to be just any boat from the harbor. Problem was, I didn't see any other echoes on the screen except for the little boat with the explosives.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 07-08-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: More thougts on second boat.
post #140 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Unless they have a better explanation in the next episode I'd say their rescue somehow involved Thor.
post #141 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Unless they have a better explanation in the next episode I'd say their rescue somehow involved Thor.
More likely, Neptune...

Bobby 

post #142 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
More likely, Neptune...
Exactly. When they went overboard they had no life vests, no scuba gear, no motorized gear of any sort. They would have been way too close to the Russian ship.

Someone else posted that there was another boat. But, it wouls have appeared on the Russian radar.

The double blip on the radar was also wrong. since the added reflector was so close to the ship, there never would have been a double blip, especially that far apart. Also, the blip would have stayed on the radar display until the next sweep.

As for going thru the coral, since the bottom of the hull barely touched the coral, no mention was made of the two screws and rudder that go lower than the bottom of the hull. The two screws should have been damaged.

Like every show out there, things like this have to slide.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #143 of 604 Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm still trying to digest having a full commander as an XO on a DDG. Maybe cuz it's a lot bigger than the DDGs I was on in the 60s, it's a commander billet but doubt it.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #144 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 202
Just out of curiosity, for you Navy guys, would it be possible to put a tank or two on board the ship? Assuming they could even get it loaded on there, could the tanks we on the deck or would that be to much weight? They would have to secure it but man, when that guy mentioned he had some tanks he could roll out the first thing I thought was that is a lot of freaking fire power to sail away from. Sort of a crazy idea but if they could secure them to the deck, heck they could use them as extra guns and take a lot of punishment. Just seemed a waste to sail away from them and it had me thinking if they could even be on there or would the weight just be to much (a tank has to weigth more then a helicopter I would think).

post #145 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Although both the Nathan Hale's CO and XO are commanders, I assumed that it happened because the XO recently had been promoted to commander but had not yet received orders transferring him from the ship. It happens sometimes.

Hadn't thought about the ship's screws and rudder perhaps being vulnerable when the ship traversed the passage that had been blown out for it in the coral. Upon reflection though, I think the screws and rudder might have been all right because they are located inboard from the widest part of the ship's hull and at a shallower depth than its keel. Thus, the portions of the coral the ship scraped could well have been outboard of and deeper than the ship's rudder and screws.
John dhein likes this.
post #146 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The airborne virus bothers me. To me, even being close to buildings with lots of infected bodies would result in enough of the virus escaping to infect those that get near said location. IMHO, all it would take is one spore of the virus to kill you. i don't think at this point in time that anywhere outside is safe.

But, in order for the show to survive, there has to be plot holes like this.

Now, if the good ole doc would have said that the virus has a relatively short lifespan in the air, then it would mean that after so long, protective suits would not be required. But, when arriving at a location, one would not long it has been since the last person died.

Lots of ifs.
Actually, even after the virus escaped the building after a period of time it would be rendered harmless. Plus, since this, for plot purposes, is an airborne virus any virus outside the building would have to be "stirred up" to be re-aerosolized to cause infection.

And, no, one virus can not kill you. The "success" of an infection is determined by 3 factors: 1) The pathogenicity (strength) of the infectious agent, 2) the defensive condition of the host and 3) the size of the inoculum. Even with the most infectious agent in the world and the most compromized immune system of a patient possible, an inoculum of one virus would not stage a successful infection.

If you're looking for "plot holes" however, look no further than the guy that died on the cruise ship. Of course, since he lost his mask there was a good chance of his being infected and so he decided to shoot himself rather than infect the rest of the crew. But in showing the blood that he got from the dead cruise ship passenger it led you to believe he was infected from that. Airborne transmitted viruses are not transmitted via body fluids and vice versa.

But my wife turned me on to this show and thus far I am enjoying it. I have yet to watch the last episode and that may be on the menu for tonight.
post #147 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Just got caught up on this series. It's not the best thing I've ever seen but it's pretty entertaining. The open water shots of that beautiful ship maneuvering around plus the smoking hot Rhona Mitra are enough eye candy for me to keep watching.

Anyone else notice the commander's voice cadence seems be be channeling a little John Wayne?

Personally, I'm going to actively not care about whether the screws would have hit or how the two attackers got back to the ship or any of those technical things. That's a sure way to stop enjoying the show. As long as they stay above a certain line of believability, I'm good. I don't know what that line is, I just know it when I see it. So far so good.
gwsat and Morpheo like this.
post #148 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Anyone else notice the commander's voice cadence seems be be channeling a little John Wayne?
I didn't noticed but you've just reminded me to buy Red River!
post #149 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
M

What I wondered is how they made the big ship "invisible" to radar. I would have expected to see two echos show up on the screen, the stationary one from the aluminum foil and a second one. The dialog made more sense: the ship would appear to be just any boat from the harbor. Problem was, I didn't see any other echoes on the screen except for the little boat with the explosives.
They 'could have' actually explained the ship's dissaperance from the Russian's radar fairly easily, by simply saying the nearby shallow "canal" was behind / between a mountian, & once the ship slipped into the canal they were shielded from the other ships radar, allowing only the "decoy" to be seen ...
Instead, we had that momentary 2 blips & apparent invisibility of the ship ...

Last edited by MeatChicken; 07-08-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #150 of 604 Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Newer Arleigh Burke destroyers have 2 hangars forward of the landing pad - one of them has been reconfigured as the lab (per the first episode, how I understood it) and presumably the other is where the helicopter is being stored.
John dhein likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page