The Last Ship on TNT - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 80
While I could nitpick some more, this time I'll point out how cool it was for them to show one reason why shipboard romances are horrible ideas. Worrying excessively about another person on a mission is a good way to get both people killed.
taxman48 and Tack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Anyone else notice the commander's voice cadence seems be be channeling a little John Wayne?
My wife said the exact same thing when we watched the episode tonight.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Old 07-09-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Newer Arleigh Burke destroyers have 2 hangars forward of the landing pad - one of them has been reconfigured as the lab (per the first episode, how I understood it) and presumably the other is where the helicopter is being stored.
That was my suspicion, but being an ancient AF pencil and color marker pusher, I didn't want to take the chance. Although, I did have a vague memory of this from a program that aired on HDNet.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
While I could nitpick some more, this time I'll point out how cool it was for them to show one reason why shipboard romances are horrible ideas. Worrying excessively about another person on a mission is a good way to get both people killed.
OTOH, there were the Spartans, who, by all accounts, were quite successful for a long time.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
There seem to be several of us old navy guys posting to this thread.
Radioman 2nd class....1972-76...USS Kilauea, USS Mt. Hood
I love watching shows like this because I can relate to Navy ships.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Although both the Nathan Hale's CO and XO are commanders, I assumed that it happened because the XO recently had been promoted to commander but had not yet received orders transferring him from the ship. It happens sometimes.

I thought about that but usually he wouldn't be there for more than a few weeks. But what the heck, it's just a TV show. Shouldn't expect perfection.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I thought about that but usually he wouldn't be there for more than a few weeks. But what the heck, it's just a TV show. Shouldn't expect perfection.
They were, of course, up in the Arctic for a period. And then, when they came out, the world as we knew it is gone. The second commander has no place to go.

Bobby 

Old 07-12-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
I have to wonder how they picked up those two at the end without getting close to the Russian cruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
That was real questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Maybe a second boat. That's what I assumed. If launched from the ship after the Russian ship had a hole blown in it, the crew of the Russian ship would be preoccupied with that hole, not so much with a weak second boat heading their way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Unless they have a better explanation in the next episode I'd say their rescue somehow involved Thor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
More likely, Neptune...

Hmmm....so not one person in this thread remembers when they interrogated the scientist's assistant after he tried to kidnap her and they asked him what his escape plan was? He said the Russians had left a boat nearby for them to use to get to the Russian ship. So yes, there was a boat for them to swim to and use to escape.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Hmmm....so not one person in this thread remembers when they interrogated the scientist's assistant after he tried to kidnap her and they asked him what his escape plan was? He said the Russians had left a boat nearby for them to use to get to the Russian ship. So yes, there was a boat for them to swim to and use to escape.
Ugh, that was the boat they took to the ship and blew up. His escape was from them, not the Russians.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
Ugh, that was the boat they took to the ship and blew up. His escape was from them, not the Russians.

Could be, but after the Russians caught them exploring with the mini sub and killed their guys, it would make more sense to use the boat that was already in place versus trying to position another one as an escape boat without getting caught. The Russians wouldn't shoot a boat coming straight from the Navy ship, because it could be the Captain coming to turn her over. And they wouldn't think they needed to fear a small boat like that.

Either way, it's TV. There are a million holes in each episode.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Good episode. The Russian captain is a wonderful character to have on the show.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Did they mention why when they were 100 miles away from that island they did not use the helicopter to run water shuttles between the ship and the island?

I missed a reason or the writers did or more likely an editor took the reference right out.

Argee
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post
Did they mention why when they were 100 miles away from that island they did not use the helicopter to run water shuttles between the ship and the island?

I missed a reason or the writers did or more likely an editor took the reference right out.

I took it as they didn't know they were that close to land because all essential systems were down due to the power outage, no radar, etc.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Either way, it's TV. There are a million holes in each episode.
Which is why I give it so much leeway, there's plot holes big enough to drive a U.S.Naval destroyer through.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder what the helo's range is?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
Which is why I give it so much leeway, there's plot holes big enough to drive a U.S.Naval destroyer through.
Just like real life government operations. 90% of the time doing anything in the military. WE were like why? what? That doesn't make sense? Why are we running to second to get to first base? lol... There was always bad assumptions, communications and intel if every operation we ever did. That was why there was so much training deaths and friendly fire incidents.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Another so-so episode last night. As I said last week, there is a weekly "we're in a mess" storyline while slowly advancing the vaccine story.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 426
An entire episode where the crew waits around while the engineer tries to fix the engine. I think the producers greatly misunderstand what parts of their show actually appeal to the audience. Ain't nobody watching for the nuanced dramatic work. The show needs more stuff going boom right away.
Mark12547 likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 82
3 sails to pull the ship? What is the ship made out of, Balsa wood? Interesting technical episode with engine,water and electrical problems. Like the poster said above, lots of plot holes.. Good beach scene when the crew unwinds..Needed the Beach Boys to appear and sing a few beach songs..

Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Needed the Beach Boys to appear and sing a few beach songs..
Needed Gilligan and Mary Anne to come wandering over the hill. The Professor could fix the ship's engine with some coconuts and palm fronds. After hearing about the deadly virus, the Skipper and Mr. Howell will convince the other castaways to stay on the island when the Navy leaves.
taxman48 and gprace like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-15-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 558
This week's show was preposterous even by the biblically low standards of TV drama but I still enjoyed it. The consistently accurate portrayal of US Navy shipboard evolutions and nomenclature continues to impress me. Who would have thought the showrunners and writers of a fairly typical TV action show would even know that on US Navy ships the Chief Engineer's senior assistants are the Main Propulsion Assistant (MPA) and Damage Control Assistant (DCA)?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I don't know how this tiny island had waterfalls, coconut tress and pineapples! They must have found the Lost island! I think smokie is already on the ship for next week..

So all the women in the crew seem to be very nice looking and they brought their bikinis for this destroyer ship thinking it was a cruise?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 07-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I don't know how this tiny island had waterfalls, coconut tress and pineapples! They must have found the Lost island! I think smokie is already on the ship for next week..

So all the women in the crew seem to be very nice looking and they brought their bikinis for this destroyer ship thinking it was a cruise?
Just remember how many outfits the people on Gilligan's island had for a 3 hour tour. I guess a destroyer could carry more bikinis. Especially if they are going to the Arctic.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Needed Gilligan and Mary Anne to come wandering over the hill. The Professor could fix the ship's engine with some coconuts and palm fronds. After hearing about the deadly virus, the Skipper and Mr. Howe will convince the other castaways to stay on the island when the Navy leaves.
That made me laugh.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
An entire episode where the crew waits around while the engineer tries to fix the engine. I think the producers greatly misunderstand what parts of their show actually appeal to the audience. Ain't nobody watching for the nuanced dramatic work. The show needs more stuff going boom right away.
So that is why, after
Spoiler!
I ended up alternating five minutes of the show and watching half an hour of the morning news, all of The Carbonaro Effect, all of Just Seen It, History Detectives Special Investigation: Glenn Miller, Frontline: Secrets of the Vatican, two televised sermons, several YouTube videos, and I still have another 22 minutes of air time to watch! At this rate, I'll end up watching the four Netflix discs I have at home (Twilight's Last Gleaming (1977 on DVD); The Equalizer: S1 DVD3 & DVD4; White House Down (2013 on Blu-ray)) before I finish this one episode!

Maybe I should save the episode as a cure for insomnia!

Hopefully next week the episode will do a bit better job of holding my attention.

In the 38 minutes of air time, what advanced the story could have been told in a minute or two.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 82
a 3 hour trip, a 3 hour trip..

Attachment 161201
Mark12547 likes this.

Last edited by taxman48; 09-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I predict!!!!

The crew spends some time on the island as the ship is repaired. When it's time to depart, there is a "mini-mutiny" of crew members wanting to stay. Finally, some are allowed to.

(I actually do not know this. It's a guess based on the book).

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This week's show was preposterous even by the biblically low standards of TV drama but I still enjoyed it. The consistently accurate portrayal of US Navy shipboard evolutions and nomenclature continues to impress me. Who would have thought the showrunners and writers of a fairly typical TV action show would even know that on US Navy ships the Chief Engineer's senior assistants are the Main Propulsion Assistant (MPA) and Damage Control Assistant (DCA)?
I agree, it just amazes me to see how they continue to get all of the Navy stuff correct. But at the risk of being called sexist, I have say having women on board a ship wouldn't work for me. Like to see them cross the equator and see how that works out for the female polliwogs.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post
My take is that water is unbelievably heavy, so it would've taken far too much fuel and power to deliver even a few thousand gallons of water. What are they gonna do? Fill up 700 Sparklett's bottles? Only 1000 gallons of water would weigh 8000 pounds, and I'm not sure if a helicopter could lift that much weight (even assuming they had the containers).

I like where the show is going in general, and I think they're doing a good job (except for a handful of really, really cheap & bad VFX shots, like the parachutes over the ship). For a cable show, it's not awful, and I think the level of acting is very good. Having a real ship for a lot of the exteriors helps a lot.

BTW, I believe the ship's main control room is a set, but they do an excellent job matching it to everything else in the show. And the cinematography is first-rate throughout. It ain't Breaking Bad or Mad Men, but for an action show, it's OK. And the ratings are very good so far.
WilliamR likes this.

Tags
the last ship , tnt