Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Great news!
Indeed!
It's a shame the similar Last Resort never got renewed. Maybe the SFX on Last Resort weren't as good as on The Last Ship, but I think the acting/cast was better.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #214 of 604 Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Indeed!
It's a shame the similar Last Resort never got renewed. Maybe the SFX on Last Resort weren't as good as on The Last Ship, but I think the acting/cast was better.
Me too. 'Last Resort' was a much better and more entertaining show, IMO.
post #215 of 604 Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 764
That's funny. I thought about Last Resort when watching this show too. As cheesy as it was, it was better casted. Andre Braugher was perfect in that role.
ltownsend likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #216 of 604 Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
I liked Last Resort too and hated to see it go. I also agree that Andre Braugher is an exponentially stronger actor than the good looking but professionally limited Eric Dane. Still, I prefer The Last Ship because the dialog given the officers and men of the NATHAN JAMES rings true to me. Note, I didn't say "women" because all the female officers and enlisted look like young and pretty Hollywood actresses, not naval officers and sailors. I forgive them though. What the hell, this is television.
Karl Beem likes this.
post #217 of 604 Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I thought the only good thing in "The Last Resort" was Mr. Braugher.

As mentioned by GW, the Naval aspects of this show are very believable to this former squid.

Although I've pointed out some errors of fact, the reality is there are so few problems with their evolutions that those errors stand out, as opposed TLR, were they were far too numerous to mention.

The situation here, likewise is far more believable. I gave up on TLR after the second or third episode because the fictional world they were in was much too unrealistic and inconsistent for me to suspend my disbelief. Perhaps that improved, but the ratings sure didn't indicate it.
post #218 of 604 Old 07-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Still loving this show but did anyone else get a "reverse Gilligans Island" vibe from this?
Even the lagoon they pulled up in looked familiar. ....
Marc Wielage likes this.
post #219 of 604 Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So how does the ship maintain their position w/o using either anchor?

Did they recover their bio suits and weapons?

Not sure it was believable that both the skipper and the XO would go on the monkey trip.

Other than that, was a pretty good episode.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #220 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
So how does the ship maintain their position w/o using either anchor?

Did they recover their bio suits and weapons?

Not sure it was believable that both the skipper and the XO would go on the monkey trip.

Other than that, was a pretty good episode.
Yeah, that had to definitely be some TV logic there.

With the water, the sunlight and the landscape this episode had some really nice image quality, nice sharp images with some great color.
post #221 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Indeed!
I can't speak for the rest of the series, but the pilot of 'Last Resort' had effects that were as good, or better, better than anything I've seen on 'The Last Ship'.
post #222 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
With the water, the sunlight and the landscape this episode had some really nice image quality, nice sharp images with some great color.
... and a little classic Dire Straits to help set the mood

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #223 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I jumped a foot when the CO, XO and Master Chief, all three, left the ship for a boat trip into an unexplored forrest with iffy radio communications. That wouldn't have been happening in the navy I knew. I was also disappointed by the CO and XO's decision to return to the evil Bas's lair on a revenge mission. Oh, well this is television. Worst of all, though, virtually none of the show depicted shipboard operations. I missed that. All in all, I thought this week's The Last Ship was The Walking Dead light. They better do better than this, and soon, or I will be out.

Last edited by gwsat; 07-21-2014 at 11:27 AM.
post #224 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I jumped a foot when the CO, XO and Master Chief, all three, left the ship for a boat trip into an unexplored forrest with iffy radio communications. That wouldn't have been happening in the navy I knew.
The only Navy that would happen in would be McHale's Navy!
Horribly bad judgement by the Capt. to have his XO accompany him on a hazardous mission- and even worse for the XO to let the Capt. go on such a mission in the first place.

But,... it's TV....

post #225 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
I jumped a foot when the CO, XO and Master Chief, all three, left the ship for a boat trip into an unexplored forrest with iffy radio communications. That wouldn't have been happening in the navy I knew.

Yes, much like Kirk and the gang on original Trek ..
Marc Wielage and ClearToLand like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #226 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
I thought the only good thing in "The Last Resort" was Mr. Braugher.

As mentioned by GW, the Naval aspects of this show are very believable to this former squid.

Although I've pointed out some errors of fact, the reality is there are so few problems with their evolutions that those errors stand out, as opposed TLR, were they were far too numerous to mention.

The situation here, likewise is far more believable. I gave up on TLR after the second or third episode because the fictional world they were in was much too unrealistic and inconsistent for me to suspend my disbelief. Perhaps that improved, but the ratings sure didn't indicate it.
Even if the politicians are crazy, the Military in USA has such a grand tradition of neutrality that it was difficult watching the Last Resort with the crew disregarding orders and going rouge.
post #227 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Even if the politicians are crazy, the Military in USA has such a grand tradition of neutrality that it was difficult watching the Last Resort with the crew disregarding orders and going rouge.
Well, it wasn't only the crew going rouge- the whole thing started with the Capt. refusing the authenticated nuke fire order into Pakistan...

post #228 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I jumped a foot when the CO, XO and Master Chief, all three, left the ship for a boat trip into an unexplored forrest with iffy radio communications. That wouldn't have been happening in the navy I knew. t was also disappointed by the CO and XO's decision to return to the evil Bas's lair on a revenge mission. Oh, well this is television. Worst of all, though, virtually none of the show depicted shipboard operations. I missed that. All in all, I thought this week's The Last Ship was The Walking Dead light. They better do better than this, and soon, or I will be out.
My sentiments exactly. This series has been going slowly downhill since the Pilot episode. This week's episode took the cake. The writing just doesn't seem to be there. All the points you brought up were immediately noticed by me, and I imagine most everyone else watching this show. Too bad, because I think The Ship has a chance to be a cool show provided it does not degrade into predictability and below par story line.
post #229 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
My sentiments exactly. This series has been going slowly downhill since the Pilot episode. This week's episode took the cake. The writing just doesn't seem to be there. All the points you brought up were immediately noticed by me, and I imagine most everyone else watching this show. Too bad, because I think The Ship has a chance to be a cool show provided it does not degrade into predictability and below par story line.
Yep, the writers assumed we would swallow that the CO and XO of a billion dollar plus ship, with a crew of over 200, would ignore their mission of bringing back monkeys and getting safely back to their ship and crew in favor of risking their lives to save the Little People. I know it's just television but that scenario exceeded even my limits!
cajieboy likes this.
post #230 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Michael Bay ought to be ashamed he put his name on this crap
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hilarious. I was reading your post like it was a serious criticism until I got to that line. Then I realized your entire post must have been very subtle sarcasm. I mean, Michael Bay put his name on Armageddon, Transformers 2, The Rock, The Island, and the remakes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (12% rotten tomatoes), Amityville Horror (23% RT), Friday the 13th (25% RT), and Nightmare on Elm St. (15% RT).

If there is any reason Michael Bay WOULDN'T put his name on The Last Ship, it's because it isn't bombastic enough, and because it has female characters who are actually intelligent and critical to the storytelling, rather than being mere American Apparel eye candy sex objects. That's TOTALLY out of character for the misogynistic Mr. Bay.
Keenan likes this.
post #231 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hilarious. I was reading your post like it was a serious criticism until I got to that line. Then I realized your entire post must have been very subtle sarcasm. I mean, Michael Bay put his name on Armageddon, Transformers 2, The Rock, The Island, and the remakes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (12% rotten tomatoes), Amityville Horror (23% RT), Friday the 13th (25% RT), and Nightmare on Elm St. (15% RT).

If there is any reason Michael Bay WOULDN'T put his name on The Last Ship, it's because it isn't bombastic enough, and because it has female characters who are actually intelligent and critical to the storytelling, rather than being mere American Apparel eye candy sex objects. That's TOTALLY out of character for the misogynistic Mr. Bay.
With :

Lifetime Gross Total : $2,125,205,525
Average Film Gross : $193,200,502

There are a few that seem to actually like his work ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #232 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bah, the last episode (5th) was really bad. Felt like a cheap filler episode. All those fake trees and image manipulations to try turning some northern river into jungle area...
post #233 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
With :

Lifetime Gross Total : $2,125,205,525
Average Film Gross : $193,200,502

There are a few that seem to actually like his work ..
Sure. I wasn't saying his movies weren't popular. I was pointing out that he's put his name on crap way worse than The Last Ship. Totally different points. Quality and box office totals are seldom related.
post #234 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
Sure. I wasn't saying his movies weren't popular. I was pointing out that he's put his name on crap way worse than The Last Ship. Totally different points. Quality and box office totals are seldom related.
And my point was gross has no direct correlation with reviews .. not taking you to task on your review recap, just saying if the reviews were an indicator, his films would all be flops ..

Disclaimer : I actually liked most of the films you listed ..

Uncle Willie

post #235 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I though this last episode was pretty weak, as well, and I'm basically a fan of the show. You get a few eps in, and you start letting your junior writers take a crack at it. I did wonder where they filmed it, though. The only location credits I could find are San Diego and Manhattan Beach. Don't know of any tributaries in the area that look remotely like that. Might have gone out to the Channel Islands, I guess...
post #236 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
Bah, the last episode (5th) was really bad. Felt like a cheap filler episode. All those fake trees and image manipulations to try turning some northern river into jungle area...
Yeah and it looked almost exactly like the story line in the Last Resort with a tin horn local "Jefe" running his own little fiefdom. As others have said, the thought of a navel vessel's skipper, XO and Master Chief all going ashore at once was a bit much unless it was Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock along with Sulu or Scott .
post #237 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Even if the politicians are crazy, the Military in USA has such a grand tradition of neutrality that it was difficult watching the Last Resort with the crew disregarding orders and going rogue.
Quote:
Well, it wasn't only the crew going rogue- the whole thing started with the Capt. refusing the authenticated nuke fire order into Pakistan...

Rouge is that pink stuff for women's face.
Pagali and TeeJay1952 like this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #238 of 604 Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
With: Lifetime Gross Total : $2,125,205,525... Average Film Gross : $193,200,502
Making vast sums of money isn't necessarily a sign of artistic worth or merit. There's lots of stuff that makes lots of money but isn't very good. Is a $1 McDonald's toadburger better than a $100 steak at a five-star restaurant? Trust me, McDonald's sells billions of those, too.

I think given the limitations of television and telling mass-market stories, The Last Ship isn't terrible. But Michael Bay is not the first guy I'd pick on a list of top-quality directors. Successful, yes.

Watch this interesting visual analysis of "Bayhem" to understand how calculated Michael Bay's visual style is:

I think his films are generally empty and horrible, but I gotta say, but there's a lot of thought behind how the images are constructed. And they're doing similar stuff within The Last Ship, some of which is very interesting visually.
post #239 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Guess I am in the minority here as I really liked this episode and the people rushing out of the bushes just hammered home the whole idea how unsafe it is out there. I particularly liked the revenge piece at the end. Even if a Navy person wouldn't do that, I think with it being the potential end of the world a lot of "rules" will be thrown out. But I liked it mostly because the guy really pissed me out and I wanted him to be punished. I also liked their attack moves and the one where he lifted the guy off the ground and slammed him down was particularly awesome.
John dhein likes this.

post #240 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could they not have used the infected people on the Island to test out the cure/vaccine instead of Monkeys?
They were going to die anyway, I sure would have volunteered....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page