Forum Jump: 
 289Likes

post #241 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
When the last scene of the infected people was shown at the end of the episode, I specifically looked for the girl (mayor's daughter?) who had been banished to the other side of the river but didn't see her. Did any of you?
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
When the last scene of the infected people was shown at the end of the episode, I specifically looked for the girl (mayor's daughter?) who had been banished to the other side of the river but didn't see her. Did any of you?
Did the same thing. I didn't see her either.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #243 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking she was the girl in Red, was she not saved at the very end when they came back?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
post #244 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post
I was thinking she was the girl in Red, was she not saved at the very end when they came back?
Not that I saw.
post #245 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Rouge is that pink stuff for women's face.
damn spell checkers.....
73shark likes this.
post #246 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland View Post
I was getting them mixed up also. Thought the girl in red helping him in the tent was the older sister - wife said that wasn't her.

They really should have headed back to the ship, got resupplied, and came back in force - it wouldn't have taken very long considering they would be in radio communication well before reaching the ship. Stupid to go in unarmed and significantly outnumbered. You know what they say, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."
archiguy likes this.
post #247 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I was getting them mixed up also. Thought the girl in red helping him in the tent was the older sister - wife said that wasn't her.

They really should have headed back to the ship, got resupplied, and came back in force - it wouldn't have taken very long considering they would be in radio communication well before reaching the ship. Stupid to go in unarmed and significantly outnumbered. You know what they say, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Ah, ok, thanks.

Gotta agree with the rest as well.....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
post #248 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Making vast sums of money isn't necessarily a sign of artistic worth or merit. There's lots of stuff that makes lots of money but isn't very good. Is a $1 McDonald's toadburger better than a $100 steak at a five-star restaurant? Trust me, McDonald's sells billions of those, too.

I think his films are generally empty and horrible, but I gotta say, but there's a lot of thought behind how the images are constructed. And they're doing similar stuff within The Last Ship, some of which is very interesting visually.
So you're saying Bay is the McDonalds of film .. ??

As with many things in life, quality is in the eye of the beholder .. people like what they like .. if you want an easy to follow, straight forward, no artsy, popcorn flick .. Bay fits the bill .. and apparently his demographic tosses plenty of money at them .. which means they are giving his films merit in and of itself ..

Being an artist myself, I've never had a $100 steak since my artistic worth has never been deemed to have that much merit ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #249 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
So you're saying Bay is the McDonalds of film .. ??
Exactly.

"The Rock" was the Big Mac. Good popcorn flick, and one of the few films with a tolerable Nicolas Cage (Cage would be the reconstituted onions - outside of the Big Mac, they have no merit).

"Transformers" was the Big Mac used in commercials. Looks great, but fabricated from fake food stuffs created by food artists.

"Pearl Harbor" was the best Big Mac ever made that was then dropped on the floor in a puddle of strawberry milkshake.
Stereodude likes this.
post #250 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Exactly.

"The Rock" was the Big Mac. Good popcorn flick, and one of the few films with a tolerable Nicolas Cage (Cage would be the reconstituted onions - outside of the Big Mac, they have no merit).

"Transformers" was the Big Mac used in commercials. Looks great, but fabricated from fake food stuffs created by food artists.

"Pearl Harbor" was the best Big Mac ever made that was then dropped on the floor in a puddle of strawberry milkshake.
Well, you know, somebodies gotta do it ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #251 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Man, I'm craving McDonalds now.

think I'll get the Armageddon chicken bacon club.
Stereodude and phildaant like this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas

Last edited by Waboman; 07-22-2014 at 11:19 AM.
post #252 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well, you know, somebodies gotta do it ..
People turn their nose up all the time, but the truth is the World would be a much sadder place without McDonald's in it.

... and it would be a much happier place if they went back to frying their french fries in beef lard. Those were hands down the best fries around.
John dhein likes this.
post #253 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
People turn their nose up all the time, but the truth is the World would be a much sadder place without McDonald's in it.

... and it would be a much happier place if they went back to frying their french fries in beef lard. Those were hands down the best fries around.
Yep, no Happy Meals ..

And although those Old School Fries I feel sure contributed to my multiple heart attacks, they would still be mighty tempting ..

Uncle Willie

post #254 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Not sure I agree with that. Think of how many Mom & Pop Hamburger joints were shut down by all those corporate-owned food chains. Their food NEVER looks as good as the photos in the advertisements, and who knows what kind "secrets" are buried in the mix. I'm old enough to remember how good tasting real hamburgers were in those Mom & Pop places, not to mention the real milkshakes.
ClearToLand and Gmash like this.
post #255 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 711
The "old lard" had a bad rap - cholesterol elevator. It's image has been somewhat rehabilitated in recent years. It's not as bad as trans-fats! Besides, saturated fats aren't really the bad guys anymore. Sugar and refined carbs are much worse for you.

The biggest health problem with a cheeseburger is neither the burger nor the cheese. It's the fluffy white bun it comes on. True story. And those old Mickie-D's fries sure were tasty.
post #256 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The "old lard" had a bad rap - cholesterol elevator. It's image has been somewhat rehabilitated in recent years. It's not as bad as trans-fats! Besides, saturated fats aren't really the bad guys anymore. Sugar and refined carbs are much worse for you.

The biggest health problem with a cheeseburger is neither the burger nor the cheese. It's the fluffy white bun it comes on. True story. And those old Mickie-D's fries sure were tasty.

I agree with this statement. Low carb high fat diet is the way to go. I've lost over 30 pounds since I started eating this way and feel better then I ever have.
post #257 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
LOL. This is my fav AVS Forum quote from at least the last month, maybe more.
post #258 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Not sure I agree with that. Think of how many Mom & Pop Hamburger joints were shut down by all those corporate-owned food chains. Their food NEVER looks as good as the photos in the advertisements, and who knows what kind "secrets" are buried in the mix. I'm old enough to remember how good tasting real hamburgers were in those Mom & Pop places, not to mention the real milkshakes.
I'm 65, so yes, I have fond memories of the Mom / Pop joints .. but you still had no guarantee what was in the mix ..

If anyone is lucky enough to have a Steak & Shake in the area, that's still done old school .. a bit pricier than McD's, but well worth it ..

Uncle Willie

post #259 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post
The only location credits I could find are San Diego and Manhattan Beach. Don't know of any tributaries in the area that look remotely like that. Might have gone out to the Channel Islands, I guess...
I was thinking the boat scenes were Channel Islands or possibly Catalina, with a couple of very obvious VFX shots where palm trees tropical vegetation were added. The actual jungle & river was a dead ringer for the Fantasy Island lagoon at the Los Angeles Arboretum so I assume it was filmed there.

Couple of real head shakers in this ep. And I'm not buying that they wouldn't have sent the second boat back after returning the doctor to the ship. At the very least, they would have sent the boat back closer, but still out of danger from the river shore, to extend the range of radio communications and have some marines at the ready in reserve for reinforcements if called upon.
post #260 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Arch, I'll be sure and mention that to my cardiologist next time I'm in ..

I think it kinda depends on what you're going for .. clogged arteries or diabetes .. and the fries are as bad as the bun sugar/carb wise .. that reminds me, I need to take my Zocor and eat my daily bowl of All Bran now ..

Uncle Willie

post #261 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hey all! I am enjoying this series so far.
Waboman and John dhein like this.
post #262 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:

I have leaf lard (pork), beef lard and duck fat on hand at all times. Use butter as a topping, and ghee (clarified butter) for cooking also. Those and olive oil are the only fats allowed in my house. No decent biscuit or pie crust can be made without leaf lard - and fried chicken fried in anything but lard is an abomination. Crisco was developed when they had no idea what to do with all the cottonseed oil on hand when electric lights became popular. So they crystallized cottonseed oil (Crisco) and gave it away to hospitals and schools as a cheap alternative to natural lard. Then some clever propaganda that made people think that hospitals chose Crisco because it was a "clean" fat was all it took to gradually unseat lard in our diets.

Doubt McDonald's will ever go back. When they got strong-armed into switching to Rapeseed Oil (Canola Oil), they started calling their fries vegetarian. Then on the sly, they added some beef flavoring to try and keep their taste of old intact. They got sued and removed the beef flavoring.

So bottom line: If I'm ever the dictator on a small island, I'd probably have the young girls rendering monkey fat rather than sitting around waiting to be violated.
(There - now we're back on topic)
post #263 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Speaking OT of fast food garbage- how about some wood pulp in your burger and shake:
http://qz.com/223742/there-is-a-secr...ers-wood-pulp/

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #264 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Well, it wasn't only the crew going rouge- the whole thing started with the Capt. refusing the authenticated nuke fire order into Pakistan...
By the way, it's rogue, not rouge. Rouge is a color, near to red, used primarily in cosmetics.

Please, look up spellings before usage.
phildaant likes this.
post #265 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the series, but the pilot of 'Last Resort' had effects that were as good, or better, better than anything I've seen on 'The Last Ship'.
Best part of The Last Resort was a commercial the cast and crew made for ESPN, as they discussed the best NFL quarterbacks. Still there on YouTube. Very funny stuff...

post #266 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Best part of The Last Resort was a commercial the cast and crew made for ESPN, as they discussed the best NFL quarterbacks.
Ah, Disney Synergy. Ugh.
phildaant likes this.
post #267 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
By the way, it's rogue, not rouge. Rouge is a color, near to red, used primarily in cosmetics.

Please, look up spellings before usage.
I guess the derailment drift over fast food was not enough, now we're into spelling monitors ..

Uncle Willie

post #268 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Arch, I'll be sure and mention that to my cardiologist next time I'm in ..

I think it kinda depends on what you're going for .. clogged arteries or diabetes .. and the fries are as bad as the bun sugar/carb wise .. that reminds me, I need to take my Zocor and eat my daily bowl of All Bran now ..
Getting old... it ain't for sissies.
ClearToLand and Keenan like this.
post #269 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Getting old... it ain't for sissies.
But it's better than the alternative.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #270 of 604 Old 07-22-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Yup, stay away from white foods like bread, potatoes, white rice, etc. Brown rice is just as bad but white rice is some of the worst food you can eat, it's basically pure carbohydrate in a little white pellet and it turns into glucose almost instantly when being digested. Sugar and carbs are the same thing to your body, lower your intake of those and you're virtually guaranteed to lose weight and be and feel much healthier.
archiguy likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the last ship , tnt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page