post #301 of 429 Old 08-28-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
When you get down to it, any show is better with ninjas, you know?
No, I'm pretty sure the rule is, "Any show is better with Nazis." Oh, wait, they already went there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 429 Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Chief has put on a few since BSG. Speaking of which, never really saw the show and August has been catch up. On season 2.5 now and Chief just survived a crash landing and took out a bunch of Cylons. He was quicker on BSG than The Strain...

I am hoping he turns and comes back as a chubby 2nd lieutenant or something.
It's all that Poutine the Chief's been eating.

Love BSG. You're in for some quality television right there. After the Captains Hand (end of S2) you'll want to watch the movie Razor. I may watch Razor again this weekend myself. Chief says to have plenty of Poutine on hand. So say we all.
GoCaboNow likes this.

Growing Older But Not Up

Last edited by Waboman; 08-28-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #303 of 429 Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
No, I'm pretty sure the rule is, "Any show is better with Nazis." Oh, wait, they already went there...
Remember the Star Trek (original series) Nazi episode? ... and they even had a two part Nazi episode (Storm Front) on Enterprise...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #304 of 429 Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Instead of Nazis this story clearly should have gone with Canadian Mounties. There is nothing more sinister, eh?
post #305 of 429 Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Remember the Star Trek (original series) Nazi episode? ... and they even had a two part Nazi episode (Storm Front) on Enterprise...
And there were holographic Nazis on Voyager.

Though, a few would say it didn't make the show better...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #306 of 429 Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
if anyone who has read the books wants to spoil this, I'll throw this out there.

IS the fact that Setrakian is an Armenian name ever develop into anything in his backstory
beyond what has already been shown?

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #307 of 429 Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
if anyone who has read the books wants to spoil this, I'll throw this out there.

IS the fact that Setrakian is an Armenian name ever develop into anything in his backstory
beyond what has already been shown?
So far the only thing that matters is that he's jewish because his arch enemy is a nazi vampire. After all even Ephraim named his old beat-up car Esther - in case we weren't sure who were the good guys and the bad guys perhaps. But I haven't read the book so I don't know if his last name is (ir)relevant or not, which is why I'll second your question...

Last edited by Morpheo; 08-29-2014 at 04:52 AM.
post #308 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

It would be hilarious if the ridiculous convenience store clerk actually survived the night and caught up with the gang to give them their total bill, damage included.

Other than that bit of character nonsense, it was a good episode overall. I'm glad that they literally and figuratively trimmed the fat by killing off Notre Dame's Rudy. The hacker chick annoys me, but it looks like I might have to suffer watching her for quite some time.
post #309 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
It would be hilarious if the ridiculous convenience store clerk actually survived the night and caught up with the gang to give them their total bill, damage included.

Other than that bit of character nonsense, it was a good episode overall. I'm glad that they literally and figuratively trimmed the fat by killing off Notre Dame's Rudy. The hacker chick annoys me, but it looks like I might have to suffer watching her for quite some time.
That would be a great recurring bit. Every time they are running from the vampires have the store clerk see them and run after them trying to get his money. Great episode last night. Still some stupid stuff I am willing to overlook because of the overall awesomeness. Like what are the odds Hacker girl and Vampire Hunters meeting up in the convenience store. I could almost buy them meeting up with Vasily at the medical supply store, but just rolled the eyes at the Hacker girl meeting. Also, why did Setrakian let them waste time when he knew Rudy was dead man walking from past experience. And why is there no tv or radio coverage of the vampire invasion. We got news of breaking events before cell phones and the internet.
post #310 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
The store clerk was given a winning scratch-it lottery ticket worth $250. That should be enough for the supplies the team "requisitioned". The smashed door and ripped HVAC roof unit would be the responsibility of others that had "turned".

Quote:
Other than that bit of character nonsense ...
The nonsense that stood out for me was that the creatures had managed to kill the electricity feeding the store, but the pumps and and the lights above them still had electricity. Since the pumps use the store's electrical feed, the pumps and the lights above them should die when the power went out in the store.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #311 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
That would be a great recurring bit. Every time they are running from the vampires have the store clerk see them and run after them trying to get his money. Great episode last night. Still some stupid stuff I am willing to overlook because of the overall awesomeness. Like what are the odds Hacker girl and Vampire Hunters meeting up in the convenience store. I could almost buy them meeting up with Vasily at the medical supply store, but just rolled the eyes at the Hacker girl meeting. Also, why did Setrakian let them waste time when he knew Rudy was dead man walking from past experience. And why is there no tv or radio coverage of the vampire invasion. We got news of breaking events before cell phones and the internet.
I just finished watching Sundays episode. Didn't the clerk have the radio or TV on? And the news mentioned something about the mayor not asking for outside help from the state or government. Or something like that.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #312 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
The store clerk was given a winning scratch-it lottery ticket worth $250. That should be enough for the supplies the team "requisitioned". The smashed door and ripped HVAC roof unit would be the responsibility of others that had "turned".

The nonsense that stood out for me was that the creatures had managed to kill the electricity feeding the store, but the pumps and and the lights above them still had electricity. Since the pumps use the store's electrical feed, the pumps and the lights above them should die when the power went out in the store.
What about the credit card and ATM machine not working because of the communication problems? Then suddenly the credit card transaction at the pump got authorized? But it is TV. Every TV show has things like this so it is nothing new. I do really like The Strain. I enjoyed this episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #313 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Goodbye Samwise Gamgee.

The gas station clerk reminded me of the paper boy in Better Off Dead. Where's my $2?!

Good action packed episode. We now know they're not mindless "Walkers" but hive minded to The Master who can organize them. Also, we now know there's a caste system within the strigoi and once infected takes about a month to mature. I like the insights into the strigoi biology and history. Hope they give us more background into The Master and his origin.
archiguy and aaronwt like this.

Growing Older But Not Up

Last edited by Waboman; 09-01-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #314 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Goodbye Samwise Gamgee.

The gas station clerk reminded me of the paper boy in Better Off Dead. Where's my $2?!

Good action packed episode. We now know they're not mindless "Walkers" but hive minded to The Master who can organize them. Also, we now know there's a caste system within the strigoi and once infected takes about a month to mature. I like the insights into the strigoi biology and history. Hope they give us more background into The Master and his origin.
"Better Off Dead".. I couldn't remember the name of the movie but that is what I kept thinking of. ONly I was thinking of the clerk saying "Where's my $200?"

post #315 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I can forgive plot and character stupidity pretty easily with episodes like this and the last one. The show is finally hitting a stride and dropped any attempts to pretend it knows anything about the CDC and got down to good old vampire killing. The show is now fun and more importantly funny! Don't take yourselves seriously and the audience will not try to either.

Plenty of good one liners ("Home Depot") and I thought the pump scene was great. They didn't ignore the fact the system was down (and they don't necessarily use the same authorization company system as ATMs and registers for that matter) and turned it to their advantage by making it a more tense and funnier scene.

I can forgive the deliver driver pushing his hand truck even though he said they needed to make a dash for it when the hacker girl was brandishing an ice scraper as a weapon. And I can forgive Jim being so previously annoying and stupid when he had a cool surgery scene that did not save him and he got blown away without any fanfare or chance for a goodbye.

I'm cool with vampire ninjas too. The Strain could be the Blade TV show that the terrible Blade TV show on Spike was not.

post #316 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'm cool with vampire ninjas too. The Strain could be the Blade TV show that the terrible Blade TV show on Spike was not.
I kinda liked that Blade TV show, I would definitely have watched if it had continued. I definitely liked the Jill Wagner character.
post #317 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I kinda liked that Blade TV show, I would definitely have watched if it had continued. I definitely liked the Jill Wagner character.
Well you had to because it was 90% her and 10% too-short Blade!

post #318 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can forgive plot and character stupidity pretty easily with episodes like this and the last one. The show is finally hitting a stride and dropped any attempts to pretend it knows anything about the CDC and got down to good old vampire killing. The show is now fun and more importantly funny! Don't take yourselves seriously and the audience will not try to either.

Plenty of good one liners ("Home Depot") and I thought the pump scene was great. They didn't ignore the fact the system was down (and they don't necessarily use the same authorization company system as ATMs and registers for that matter) and turned it to their advantage by making it a more tense and funnier scene.

I can forgive the deliver driver pushing his hand truck even though he said they needed to make a dash for it when the hacker girl was brandishing an ice scraper as a weapon. And I can forgive Jim being so previously annoying and stupid when he had a cool surgery scene that did not save him and he got blown away without any fanfare or chance for a goodbye.

I also appreciate how Jim's death was handled. The way Nora and Eph responded was probably about the only convincing human emotions expressed on this show, which is not to say that such realism ought to be expected from this kind of series.

But, yeah, present the show with obvious comedic overtones and much of the ridiculousness is actually embraced (though the clerk went a bit too far for my tastes by somehow transcending stupidity). In this situation I must apply the old saying from the famous poet Sam "The Man" Jackson: "If you're going to be stupid, then be all the way stupid."
post #319 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What is this madness? There was a Blade tv show? Where the heck was I? I don't recall such a thing.

Googled it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0823333/ Looks like it only had one season. Checked Netflix and they only have the DVDs.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #320 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is this madness? There was a Blade tv show? Where the heck was I? I don't recall such a thing.

Googled it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0823333/ Looks like it only had one season. Checked Netflix and they only have the DVDs.
It was on Spike, and I think but can't remember for sure that HDNet(AXS) whatever Cuban's station is called now might have run it in HD, but unfortunately I didn't have access to that channel when it ran in HD.
post #321 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It was a show in which the lead actor was so bad and could not fight that as the show progressed the character barely appeared in the show that was named after him. In some episodes extras had more screen time.

And the guy playing Blade was so short he had to wear platform boots most of the time. Wesley Snipes he was not. In this photo Jill Wagner is actually taller than Sticky Fingaz in real life. The dude is only 5' 5". Good thing Freddie Prinze didn't work on the show

post #322 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn, now you've got me wanting to watch it again. The blonde had shorter hair didn't she? She reminded me a little of the blonde in 'Continuum' if my memory is any good. Which I wouldn't put much on. LOL
post #323 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Damn, now you've got me wanting to watch it again. The blonde had shorter hair didn't she? She reminded me a little of the blonde in 'Continuum' if my memory is any good. Which I wouldn't put much on. LOL
That photo was probably PR for the launch I think. Didn't she get shorter hair later in the show?

If the photo was arranged in order of importance and charisma, Blade would be at the back peeking in like Joe Pesci on the Lethal Weapon posters.

post #324 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That photo was probably PR for the launch I think. Didn't she get shorter hair later in the show?

If the photo was arranged in order of importance and charisma, Blade would be at the back peeking in like Joe Pesci on the Lethal Weapon posters.
I was wrong about the hair, she had long hair(pretty close to the length in the picture) all the way through. I actually found an old disk I had with the series on it, I had a DVD/Hard Drive recorder from way back and I encoded them to some low res avi files.

Sorry for the off topic interruption, back to the the new vampire series.
post #325 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry for the off topic interruption, back to the the new vampire series.
I don't think it's off-topic at all! As someone mentioned at the beginning of the thread The Strain is basically assembling bits and characters from the movies. If you give Vasiliy a sword instead of rebar he could be the new Blade to go with Set's Whistler and the rest of the Bloodpack.

post #326 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I loved the gag where the exterminator picked the premium gasoline button at the pump, even if the pump shouldn't have had any power and their credit cards shouldn't have worked to pay for said gasoline.
post #327 of 429 Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I loved the gag where the exterminator picked the premium gasoline button at the pump, even if the pump shouldn't have had any power and their credit cards shouldn't have worked to pay for said gasoline.
So if the exterminator was a pyromaniac, by using premium, he got a

Spoiler!

Hey, I have to occasionally stoop to lowbrow humor, don't I?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #328 of 429 Old 09-02-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I enjoyed the episode because it got down to coming up with something to deal with the problem of the vampires.
post #329 of 429 Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Where's Whistler with the UV bullets?
post #330 of 429 Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Where's Whistler with the UV bullets?
His replacement in the second movie went to the Walking Dead.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-02-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page