post #61 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post
The Leftovers is MUCH better than this show. Better writing, better acting, better concept. Don't discard it because one person likes schlock over a slow-burn mystery.
The fact that there will be no solution to the overarching mystery is why 'The Leftovers' is a misfire for normally reliable HBO. This show promises to be a lot more suspenseful based on the pilot episode, and loads more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The fact that there will be no solution to the overarching mystery is why 'The Leftovers' is a misfire for normally reliable HBO. This show promises to be a lot more suspenseful based on the pilot episode, and loads more fun.
I guess if characters behaving incredibly stupidly, with enormous plot holes, B-movie acting and cheap gore are your thing vs. characters genuinely reacting and struggling under extraordinary circumstances, then yeah...The Leftovers isn't for you.

I've never been able to see past horrible writing, no matter how much "fun" a show might promise.
post #63 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I just think a show needs to be going somewhere. There needs to be some overarching story arc, mission to accomplish, mystery to solve. Damon Lindelof, of all people, should have figured that out by now. 'The Leftovers' doesn't seem to be going anywhere but more bouts of doom & gloom. For me, that's not enough. For others, it may be.

FWIW, I'm still watching it, hoping I'm wrong and something interesting starts to happen with regard to what caused the disappearance and where those people went. It's still early. If they never go there, which is essentially what the producers have said, the struggles of the remainders - especially with these characters - are not enough to sustain a show. Not for me, anyway.
post #64 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Finally watched this last night. The hitfix team pretty much nailed it with their review. This show like Sleepy Hollow embraces it's campiness which makes it easier to take. The acting and writing is lacking in some parts for sure. I'll stick around as this is a good "brain off" show and I think the worms being the transmitters of the vampire virus (at least that's what it looks like) seems to be an interesting take.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #65 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Finally watched this last night. The hitfix team pretty much nailed it with their review. This show like Sleepy Hollow embraces it's campiness which makes it easier to take. The acting and writing is lacking in some parts for sure. I'll stick around as this is a good "brain off" show and I think the worms being the transmitters of the vampire virus (at least that's what it looks like) seems to be an interesting take.

I haven't read that review(link?) but based on this first episode I think they may be right, it does have a very Sleepy Hollow sense about it, and if it follows that playbook I'm in for the duration.
post #66 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

FX adapts Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Summer 2014

I added the sleepy hollow since they basically said the same thing and after watching that show (Sleepy hollow) I agreed. I'll try to dig up the link as it was on their podcast that it was said.

Edit found it:

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...ler-the-strain

For both views check out the podcast.

Keenan likes this.

Last edited by Ph8te; 07-17-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #67 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Finally watched this last night. The hitfix team pretty much nailed it with their review. This show like Sleepy Hollow embraces it's campiness......
..and that's another reason for me to not want to watch it.

Everything has to be campy these days. It would be nice if more shows came up with plausible playbooks for supernatural fair that made them believable without having to wink at the audience.

Granted, while the latest seasons have been a bit repetitive, the CW show "Supernatural" actually did take it seriously and did well doing that. The X-Files did, as well. Granted, they did have a few comedic episodes mixed in, but those were less often and always separate from the serious plotlines.

It's similar to how we had a recent stint of every horror movie having to be "meta".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #68 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't see the campiness in 'Strain' that I see enthusiastically embraced in 'Sleepy Hollow', especially when highlighting the show's humorous elements. It's a much different show with a much different vibe.

From what I've seen so far, this show takes its supernatural fantasies pretty seriously.
post #69 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

What I see is a comic book put to screen, which is something I also see in Sleepy Hollow, what ever that's called, that's why they're similar for me.
post #70 of 429 Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
..and that's another reason for me to not want to watch it.

Everything has to be campy these days. It would be nice if more shows came up with plausible playbooks for supernatural fair that made them believable without having to wink at the audience.

Granted, while the latest seasons have been a bit repetitive, the CW show "Supernatural" actually did take it seriously and did well doing that. The X-Files did, as well. Granted, they did have a few comedic episodes mixed in, but those were less often and always separate from the serious plotlines.

It's similar to how we had a recent stint of every horror movie having to be "meta".

It's not as campy as sleepy hollow, that's for sure. Not so sure I would say it takes things that seriously either. For me at least from the 1st episode this is a "brain off" show. Maybe it's the writing or the acting, but I just don't take things that seriously for some reason. For these types of shows I much prefer a darker more serious take. The sleepy hollow reference was my own as I think this show embraces it's ways much like sleepy hollow. It's not taking itself 100% seriously and doesn't try to front that it is. It's not a horrible show, just not sure it's a good show as of yet. I'll stick around to see what they do with it, but I don't think it will make any of my top lists or must recommend lists as of yet.

post #71 of 429 Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You know, with comic book movies (and comic books in general) It is just an outline. We do the heavy lifting with our imaginations.
post #72 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Finally got around to watching this. Thought it was pretty good and we were hooked on the mystery/what's to come.

post #73 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Apart from a few interesting visuals there was nothing here that was really new. Mostly a collection of typical vampire tropes mixed in with some Bram Stoker. They should have just cut straight to calling the master Dracula and the Jewish hunter Helsing.

I'll give it a few more episodes, but I would have preferred it if the show had just been about the worm parasite infecting everyone and the elite society, the master and OTT Pandora's Coffin left out completely.

Some of the acting was quite poor too. The rock star in particular was straight from the bottom of the barrel.

post #74 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I will continue watching just to see if Mr. Hairpiece will go back to the hard stuff and ditch those pint-sized cartons of milk.
post #75 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
I will continue watching just to see if Mr. Hairpiece will go back to the hard stuff and ditch those pint-sized cartons of milk.
Are you talking about the CDC doctor? Lol. Is he really bald?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #76 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Are you talking about the CDC doctor? Lol. Is he really bald?
You decide.
post #77 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Hahaha. Guess that answers my question. I didn't recognize him from other shows.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #78 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Hahaha. Guess that answers my question. I didn't recognize him from other shows.
I had trouble placing him at first as well.
post #79 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm watching 'The Leftovers' and DVRing 'The Strain'. I do like The Leftovers, but The Strain is a nice pick-me-up to watch right after.
It's so nice to see vampires as gory and evil creatures again, I'm hoping this will continue as a trend. The True Blood/Twilight style vampires are just ruining the genre.
Waboman likes this.
post #80 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I record everything and watch them when I want. I'll be watching Leftovers and Strain tomorrow...

Bobby 

post #81 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I had trouble placing him at first as well.
Now I recognize him from House of Cards on Netflix!
It's kind of weird that they have him wear a rug isn't it? Unless the actor is trying to look like a well known historical figure or his hair actually is part of the plot somehow (period hairstyle, etc), it doesn't make sense to me to go through the trouble.
post #82 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe the plot will require all of his hair to fall out later.

Or he could pull a Sisko and shaving his head will be a mark of his transformation to a tougher (and better) character. He might start wearing a sword strapped to his back and kick vampire ass.

post #83 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
Now I recognize him from House of Cards on Netflix!
It's kind of weird that they have him wear a rug isn't it? Unless the actor is trying to look like a well known historical figure or his hair actually is part of the plot somehow (period hairstyle, etc), it doesn't make sense to me to go through the trouble.
I think it's all part of the style and look of the show, very comic-bookish, like Superman's curl on his forehead, the cape billowing when the creature moved down the hallway after killing the airport guy, all the sort of images you'd see in a graphic novel / comic book.
post #84 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Apart from the last ten minutes this week was astonishingly dull. Not a good follow-up to a pilot episode, especially for a horror show.
gprace and GoCaboNow like this.

post #85 of 429 Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The second episode was a tiny bit better. Clichés abound, which are for the most part probably unavoidable for the genre at this point, but it is still engrossing enough.

The Master is certainly not to be messed with, although I imagine that Kevin Durand could give him a pretty good beating.
post #86 of 429 Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just wait! I almost but the book down 1/2 way though book one. And then.........
post #87 of 429 Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Funny about the bad rug on Corey's head, and everyone else is loosing hair by the fistful, maybe he could lose it too.

That little girl was too creepy, very few things will make me cringe, this is one of them..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #88 of 429 Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Funny about the bad rug on Corey's head, and everyone else is loosing hair by the fistful, maybe he could lose it too.

That little girl was too creepy, very few things will make me cringe, this is one of them..
!You'll probably right, he gets infected and part of the story is the rush to find himself a cure.
post #89 of 429 Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No sooner did the wife mention she thought there was a touch of Fringe in this show, than Peter Bishop is identified at the beginning of episode 2 as the guy with his head bashed in.
post #90 of 429 Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Like I said earlier, I expected the show to slow down some once they got away from the first episode. I was right. But at least the last couple of scenes made it creepy enough to come back for more.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page