Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 424 Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
For me, the second episode was better than the first.

Firstly, ever since I read Salem's Lot as a teen, I started thinking of Vampirism as an infection. So watching a story with that theme is satisfying for me. Second (and it's a big second), I prefer vampires be evil monsters, not lovelorn G.Q. wannabes.

I really like the Nosferatu look: sickly, and large and powerful, almost bug like. The final shot hinted that the Master will look something like this.

Speaking of that final shot, earlier I had mentioned I thought the reveal on the man-servants eyes came much too early. Happily, they did not do the same thing with the reveal of the Master.

I don't get everyone's obsession with cory's hair. To me it looks like plugs. But we're talking about vampires, and folks aren't accepting his hair? Okay.

I'm still liking this show more than Dominion and Helix.
post #93 of 424 Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
I also think the jump to "virus outbreak" was unexpected and the only explanation was that if an international plane lands and people are dead, the CDC has first crack at it. (That's how, according to the show, the CDC had initial jurisdiction instead of Homeland Security.)

But even so,
Spoiler!
If there was a real infection, the pilot would have time to inform the tower that everyone in board was ill. Even assuming auto pilot lands the plane (I'm not sold on that at all), I would still expect some chatter between the cockpit and the tower.

TSA or whomever would board, and when they saw everyone was dead they would then call CDC.

I should just let this go I guess.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #94 of 424 Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
For me, the second episode was better than the first.

Firstly, ever since I read Salem's Lot as a teen, I started thinking of Vampirism as an infection. So watching a story with that theme is satisfying for me. Second (and it's a big second), I prefer vampires be evil monsters, not lovelorn G.Q. wannabes.

I really like the Nosferatu look: sickly, and large and powerful, almost bug like. The final shot hinted that the Master will look something like this.

Speaking of that final shot, earlier I had mentioned I thought the reveal on the man-servants eyes came much too early. Happily, they did not do the same thing with the reveal of the Master.

I don't get everyone's obsession with cory's hair. To me it looks like plugs. But we're talking about vampires, and folks aren't accepting his hair? Okay.

I'm still liking this show more than Dominion and Helix.
I'm digging this too and have enjoyed both episodes. The little girl at the end was creepy... and a Frenchy. Double whammy.

About time there's a show with vampires that neither shimmer nor use excessive hair gel. With that said, I really do like Helix.
Keenan and GoCaboNow like this.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #95 of 424 Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just hope that when all hell breaks loose, Eph's wife is one of the first to go. She might be slightly tolerable as a vampire, though.
post #96 of 424 Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
About time there's a show with vampires that neither shimmer nor use excessive hair gel.
Supernatural has been handling vampires (mostly) well for years.

Del Toro did vampires better in Cronos. The Blade movies only really worked because Snipes was destroying them in variously furious ways and for now The Strain is still stuck in vampire cliche. The show still has to explain the Vampire Plot Magic that is taking place. It's one thing to have Not-Nosferatu flying and teleporting about but there are huge holes at the moment that only Vampire Magic can explain, and as yet none of the undead has been shown to use it.

We have the plane full of passengers that took a convenient nap before being bloodsucked. A mortuary full of corpses that got up and walked away unnoticed from a major facility (some of them in mid-autopsy) and Kid Vampire who managed to arrive home on foot (or wings) from the coroner's office before her father. I think she also changed her dress too.

The show might address these holes, but if it turns out that it's another show in which vampires sucking blood gives them magical abilities for no reason then I'll probably bail.

The Nazi backstory just makes me wish someone had adapted Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons instead.

post #97 of 424 Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Too many of the characters in this show are morons. After being told that she's infected with a deadly virus carried by worms crawling all through her body, lawyer lady doesn't consider it at all relevant that she's developed a cough and her gums start bleeding? Really?

French guy doesn't think it's at all odd that his DEAD daughter shows up on his doorstep alone in the middle of the night, acting creepily evil? How did he get Goodweather's cell phone number, anyway?

The CDC lifts the quarantine after being told that the plane had a carbon monoxide leak - as if this totally explains the worms all over the plane and the incisions in every victim's throat. Not to mention the air traffic controller guy who was murdered in the airport (not on the plane) by his head being smashed to a pulp. That was carbon monoxide too?

Blatant problems like this remind me why I disliked the book.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #98 of 424 Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Too many of the characters in this show are morons. After being told that she's infected with a deadly virus carried by worms crawling all through her body, lawyer lady doesn't consider it at all relevant that she's developed a cough and her gums start bleeding? Really?

French guy doesn't think it's at all odd that his DEAD daughter shows up on his doorstep alone in the middle of the night, acting creepily evil? How did he get Goodweather's cell phone number, anyway?

The CDC lifts the quarantine after being told that the plane had a carbon monoxide leak - as if this totally explains the worms all over the plane and the incisions in every victim's throat. Not to mention the air traffic controller guy who was murdered in the airport (not on the plane) by his head being smashed to a pulp. That was carbon monoxide too?

Blatant problems like this remind me why I disliked the book.
Definitely a lot of stupid things to move along the plot.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #99 of 424 Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The first episode reminded me so much of the Fringe pilot episode I kept expecting the Fringe theme music and intro to start any second.

The second episode was busy, but only advanced the story marginally- the box moved from JFK to Manhattan (15 miles).

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #100 of 424 Old 07-23-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
It would be nice if this thread could be renamed The Strain on FX which more inline with other threads here.
post #101 of 424 Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Love the show but the
Spoiler!
post #102 of 424 Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I'm hooked, enjoyed both episodes and looking forward to next weeks
You and me both. Ep 3 all hell should break loose..
5x10 likes this.

post #103 of 424 Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
This show is wild. Good episode tonight
post #104 of 424 Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It was a fairly engrossing episode with a good amount of gross. Eph had some Ephn' good moves at the end.
post #105 of 424 Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I like it. Basically it is Resident Evil the TV show with a Vampire virus. Surprisingly excellent special effects and production values for a TV show, on FX no less. There were a few odd character choices last episode to get us to this point, but now the vampire hunting can begin. Syfy can keep its crappy Helix. There is a new game in town. I wish Keamy from Lost loses his weird accent though and just starts to talk normal.
post #106 of 424 Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good episode tonight. We're cooking with gas now. The rocker peeing and then *plop*... lol. I was like no way that's what I think it is.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #107 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I've watched the first two episodes so far... I like it but:

Spoiler!

Am I the only one to find this particular cliché a little tiring?

Also, I guess "french" and "french canadian" are exactly the same thing in North America. Oh well... It's not the first time and certainly not the last so I'll just have to get used to it.

...With that said, I love the Nosferatu look and the fact that these vampires are not a glamourous "vampire diaries/twilight" bunch Looking forward to the next episodes.
gprace likes this.
post #108 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Good episode tonight. We're cooking with gas now. The rocker peeing and then *plop*... lol. I was like no way that's what I think it is.
I thought there's no way he dropped what I thought he did. The boom, I was right.
post #109 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Also, I guess "french" and "french canadian" are exactly the same thing in North America. Oh well... It's not the first time and certainly not the last so I'll just have to get used to it.
Well, Canada is the 51st state, so what's your point?

The bathroom scene. It's not the "plop" that surprised me so much as the "flush"!!!
Mark12547 likes this.
post #110 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Well, Canada is the 51st state, so what's your point?
My point is that most of the time these days in TV shows (or even major blockbusters like Capt. America The Winter Soldier, which was a laughable part of an otherwise excellent film), supposedly "french" characters are in fact portrayed by french canadian actors...who happen to have a very distinctive accent that has nothing to do with the french accent or way of speaking. It's kind of disctracting when you're a french-speaking person, like me, and when you're from France, like me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making a big deal out of this, but it's still annoying. Imagine a european movie where you have an american actor speaking with a strong louisiana accent when his character is from New York...european audiences* might not notice but I'm sure you would, instantly...

*regarding the french audiences, they are probably too lazy to watch movies in their original language anyway so it would be a non-issue for them

Last edited by Morpheo; 07-28-2014 at 10:41 AM.
post #111 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My point is that most of the time these days in TV shows (or even major blockbusters like Capt. America The Winter Soldier, which was a laughable part of an otherwise excellent film), supposedly "french" characters are in fact portrayed by french canadian actors...who happen to have a very distinctive accent that has nothing to do with the french accent or way of speaking. It's kind of disctracting when you're a french-speaking person, like me, and when you're from France, like me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making a big deal out of this, but it's still annoying. Imagine a european movie where you have an american actor speaking with a strong louisiana accent when his character is from New York...european audiences* might not notice but I'm sure you would, instantly...

*regarding the french audiences, they are probably too lazy to watch movies in their original language anyway so it would be a non-issue for them
Well, I was being facetious (Canada is often teased about being part of the U.S.).

I get what you mean. It's like a movie supposedly taking place in Spain, but shot in Central America I guess. Personally, I get just slightly annoyed by all the English and Aussie actors that are hired to portray Americans. So many real American actors who can't catch a break, and they hire an Englishman. It's especially annoying when the role could have just as well have been written as an Englishman in the first place.
post #112 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, if the vampire gig doesn't work out, Bolivar can get a job rockin' in Varys traveling eunuch show.

Spoiler!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #113 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
I've watched the first two episodes so far... I like it but:

did they really have to name our heroes Ephraim, Nora, Abraham...against the baddies led by a nazi vampire? ...I mean, seriously?

Am I the only one to find this particular cliché a little tiring?
That is what bugs you about the names? Not the fact the wizened old stock vampire hunter fighting Not-Dracula is called Abraham? The show is full of vampire tropes and cliches, Nazi antogonists and their typical protaganists are the least of them.

post #114 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 214
sh!t is about to get real, love the way the story is advancing
its almost like strong, smart, zombies
post #115 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
That is what bugs you about the names?
There's more to it than just their names but this is another discussion, which, I'm sure, won't take place in this thread so I won't go there. That's also why I deliberately mentioned only the names vs. the "nature" of the villain, or at least one of them. Kind of bugs me a bit yes. But that certainly won't stop me from watching...
post #116 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
My point is that most of the time these days in TV shows (or even major blockbusters like Capt. America The Winter Soldier, which was a laughable part of an otherwise excellent film), supposedly "french" characters are in fact portrayed by french canadian actors...who happen to have a very distinctive accent that has nothing to do with the french accent or way of speaking.
Was that character in the show actually identified as French? Maybe he's supposed to be French-Canadian?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #117 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I didn't know this show was a Marilyn Manson biopic.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...rt=123&ndsp=41

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #118 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I didn't know this show was a Marilyn Manson biopic.

So if that is part of the transformation process, it must have happened to the captain as well.Yet there was no "Who's penis is this?" scene.
post #119 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Was that character in the show actually identified as French? Maybe he's supposed to be French-Canadian?
You might be onto something here... *cough* I don't remember if they mentioned it or not. Anyway the dad is gone and his evil daughter has bigger plans now...
post #120 of 424 Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Poor guy!.... I haven't watched the episode yet but now I'm prepared!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page