The Strain on FX - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last
HDTV Programming > The Strain on FX
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 04:37 PM 07-28-2014

MSmith83's Avatar MSmith83 03:48 AM 07-29-2014
I am enjoying this show despite its obvious flaws. I don't know for sure what it is that I like so much about it. I guess that it's the atmosphere and mostly solid cast.

I know nothing of the books, but I can easily imagine future interactions between Eph, Abraham, the exterminator and Gus being quite interesting with their distinctly different backgrounds and personalities. They are all people that I would want on my vampire killing team.
wpbpete's Avatar wpbpete 07:19 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Nice
Now I have to be on the lookout for his cloaca lol
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 07:20 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Nice
Now I'm gonna be on the lookout for his cloaca lol
I so don't want to know what that word means.
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 08:39 AM 07-29-2014
I guess the rocker was "gone smooth" like the title says, I thought at first this title was because of the falling hair not the penis.. LOL
Tom Imp's Avatar Tom Imp 08:53 AM 07-29-2014
I was actually expecting much worse from that rocker's scene.

Considering one method of relieving priapism is to inject a needle to remove the blood, I was expecting those fangs to shoot out of his mouth and drain it for him.
wpbpete's Avatar wpbpete 10:41 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I so don't want to know what that word means.
I didn't wanna know either lol too late
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 10:47 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I guess the rocker was "gone smooth" like the title says, I thought at first this title was because of the falling hair not the penis.. LOL
The splash seemed a little small but that is what drugs can do to you...
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 10:59 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I so don't want to know what that word means.
It's the exits and the entrances for bodily fluids all sharing the same door on the body. Very popular in the animal kingdom with birds and insects.
wpbpete's Avatar wpbpete 11:22 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
It's the exits and the entrances for bodily fluids all sharing the same door on the body. Very popular in the animal kingdom with birds and insects.
and apparently also

Edit: sorry I can't find the spoiler button...
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 11:40 AM 07-29-2014
Ticks! 'nuff said
mikeewing's Avatar mikeewing 11:49 AM 07-29-2014
I started laughing as soon as that happened because I knew it would kick this board into high gear! What a sick bunch
MRM4's Avatar MRM4 11:57 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
The splash seemed a little small but that is what drugs can do to you...
Remember when that doctor was prescribing the rocker some meds, the rocker stood up with his robe open, and the doctor said he could write him a prescription for his "small" problem? He was looking down when he said that. Guess it shrank before it fell off.
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 12:30 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Remember when that doctor was prescribing the rocker some meds, the rocker stood up with his robe open, and the doctor said he could write him a prescription for his "small" problem? He was looking down when he said that. Guess it shrank before it fell off.
When he opened his robe, the doctor told him to go to a hospital right away, because whatever was going on down there was above his pay grade.
wpbpete's Avatar wpbpete 12:44 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Ticks! 'nuff said
lol yes, that's it... Ticks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Remember when that doctor was prescribing the rocker some meds, the rocker stood up with his robe open, and the doctor said he could write him a prescription for his "small" problem? He was looking down when he said that. Guess it shrank before it fell off.
Oh! I imagined a lot worse than that

On another note, I'm glad to finally see them depicted as the monsters that they are, not since Blade 2 iirc.
Hoping the writing/acting stays good and FX doesn't ruin it, if it was on AMC I'd be more optimistic. How did HBO miss out on this??? Loving it so far
"papa papa"

Oh! what happened to the old rich guy after he saw the Master? Didn't see him in this episode.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 12:48 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

On another note, I'm glad to finally see them depicted as the monsters that they are, not since Blade 2 iirc.
Hoping the writing/acting stays good and FX doesn't ruin it
Agreed. I like that there are many practical creature affects, and not all cgi.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 01:28 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Hoping the writing/acting stays good and FX doesn't ruin it
Eh, what? FX produce more hits than misses and quality of acting and writing is rarely an issue. Certainly better than what's on Walking Dead most of the time.

If anyone is going to ruin the show it's the creators, because apart from production values it isn't really high quality stuff out of the gate as it is.
MSmith83's Avatar MSmith83 05:34 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Eh, what? FX produce more hits than misses and quality of acting and writing is rarely an issue. Certainly better than what's on Walking Dead most of the time.

If anyone is going to ruin the show it's the creators, because apart from production values it isn't really high quality stuff out of the gate as it is.
Exactly. FX has a knack for getting the really good stuff, starting with The Shield going all the way to Fargo. Both their comedy and drama lineups have been mostly first-rate over the years, though I'm not really feeling much when it comes to Tyrant.

John Landgraf is known to let the creative teams do just about whatever they want once the shows are in gear. Heck, he even aided the ragtag folks of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in doing their own thing when the show was highly unproven and unconventional.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 05:54 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
John Landgraf is known to let the creative teams do just about whatever they want once the shows are in gear. Heck, he even aided the ragtag folks of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in doing their own thing when the show was highly unproven and unconventional.
Yeah, FX is one of those rare networks on TV that doesn't mess around with a show. They let it run as long as it has some traction and as long as it does okay the showrunners can keep doing what they want - within reason obviously

Even the single season "failures" on FX have nearly all been worth putting on screen and good quality efforts. They've either failed because they never caught the audience or because the premise wasn't clearly though through. "Terriers" springs to mind. FX screwed the marketing and the creators never set the correct tone until over half way through. When it ended though it was a really good show. Albeit almost entirely different to how it started.
Mark12547's Avatar Mark12547 01:55 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
The splash seemed a little small but that is what drugs can do to you...
The goth did say "Talking about performance" and opened his robe. Between "performance" (the lack thereof), the small splash and the lack of interest in retrieving the body part, the body part must have been pretty small.

Or was that the ... other part of the male anatomy ... that fell in the toilet? Either way, both were missing from the full frontal shot.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 02:08 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
"Terriers" springs to mind. FX screwed the marketing and the creators never set the correct tone until over half way through. When it ended though it was a really good show. Albeit almost entirely different to how it started.
I liked Terriers. Although whomever chose that name should submit a sample in a cup. Horrible choice.
Waboman's Avatar Waboman 02:18 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
The goth did say "Talking about performance" and opened his robe. Between "performance" (the lack thereof), the small splash and the lack of interest in retrieving the body part, the body part must have been pretty small.

Or was that the ... other part of the male anatomy ... that fell in the toilet? Either way, both were missing from the full frontal shot.
When the rocker opened his robe to the doc prescribing him drugs, the doc was visibly shocked and said "you need to get to a hospital right away. This is above what I can do." It probably looked like rotting cheese, or a decaying Kiełbasa. When it fell off, the rocker didn't seem too concerned. Guessing it's all part of the metamorphous of The Strain.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 10:08 AM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Hoping the writing/acting stays good and FX doesn't ruin it, if it was on AMC I'd be more optimistic. How did HBO miss out on this??? Loving it so far.
According to Wikipedia:

After the third book's publication, the authors talked with every cable network that had expressed interest. FX was deemed most suitable because they wanted to follow the books closely and liked the idea of The Strain as a close-ended series consisting of three to five seasons. Del Toro stated that the first two novels can be covered by one season each, while The Night Eternal may be split into two or three seasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strain_%28TV_series%29
TheUnitLover's Avatar TheUnitLover 04:40 PM 08-03-2014
This series is creepy but interesting !
rebkell's Avatar rebkell 07:28 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Nice
Now I have to be on the lookout for his cloaca lol
They used that word the week before last on another FX show, You're the Worst, in reference to an eagle. LOL
MSmith83's Avatar MSmith83 09:08 PM 08-03-2014
That was a good one.

I was really losing my patience with Ann-Marie, but suddenly gained lots of respect for her when she offered that piece of trash neighbor to her husband. Great stuff.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 05:32 AM 08-04-2014
I hope the real CDC handle the ebola virus better than the morons on this show. Otherwise we are all screwed.

When they are not ignoring bath tubs full of bloody water and hair at the home of the victims, they are frequently losing bodies and letting them wander around facilities after they climb out of their isolation containers.

This week they conduct an autopsy on a body that has undergone massive genetic restructuring and the host to parasitic disease-spreading worms and they don't even bother to wear a basic mask and glasses. I'm sure the gloves really made a difference though.

Then Nora throws a hissy fit about the need to follow protocol and rules when dealing with infected patients!

Some terrible dialog on this show. Only matched by how terrible the CDC characters are at their jobs. Here's hoping they get infected and Van Helsing appears from nowhere to chop their heads off.
Young C's Avatar Young C 05:55 AM 08-04-2014
Crazy episode last night.
MSmith83's Avatar MSmith83 06:13 AM 08-04-2014
One thing that this show does very poorly is instill somewhat credible reasons for Eph and Nora's mindsets. It is a very delicate situation when the top-level officials have made their narrow stance clear, which of course is formed thanks to Palmer's influence, an influence unbeknownst to Eph and Nora at this point. Meanwhile, there would have been an uproar over Eph's killing of the pilot no matter how dire the circumstances were, hence concerns over following protocol. Eph's credibility could easily be shot down by top brass given his past with alcoholism, so going to the media with such an incredible story wouldn't have exactly worked in his team's favor.

A lot of this could have been much more logically tied together, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Oh, and of course we've had two cute, elite female hackers on the show. That is probably the most laughable of this show's myriad clichés.
wpbpete's Avatar wpbpete 06:36 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
That was a good one.
I was really losing my patience with Ann-Marie, but suddenly gained lots of respect for her when she offered that piece of trash neighbor to her husband. Great stuff.
That was great!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
This week they conduct an autopsy on a body that has undergone massive genetic restructuring and the host to parasitic disease-spreading worms and they don't even bother to wear a basic mask and glasses. I'm sure the gloves really made a difference though.
Plenty of cheese in this episode but it was still a fun watch. I was expecting the thing to come to life and go thru his stomach or up her skirt.
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop