AVS Forum banner

The Strain on FX

56K views 2K replies 115 participants last post by  gibson61 
#1 ·
Couldn't find a thread for this. Being a big fan of Del Toro's, this looks like it could be a winner to me.

Quote:
Co-Creators, Executive Producers and Writers del Toro and Hogan co-wrote the pilot

script for The Strain, which was directed by del Toro. Emmy® Award winning Writer

and Producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) will serve as Executive

Producer/Showrunner and Writer. Gary Ungar will also serve as Executive

Producer. The series is produced by FX Productions.
http://www.fxnetworks.com/thestrain

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersteve  /t/1531194/fx-adapts-guillermo-del-toros-the-strain-summer-2014#post_24705806

After reading the books I'm curious to see how this looks on tv. The "vampires" are basically a vampire/zombie combination.

So basically, del Toro is knocking off the story from Blade 2 that he directed and recreating infected vampires like Nomak? Nomak was a vampire that was infected with the "Reaper" virus.

#6 ·
On the upside if this is actually good it will not be cancelled prematurely. John Landgraf has already said it will run for at least three seasons in order to tell the story.

Reactions: ltownsend
#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33  /t/1531194/fx-adapts-guillermo-del-toros-the-strain-summer-2014/0_60#post_24705997

So basically, del Toro is knocking off the story from Blade 2 that he directed and recreating infected vampires like Nomak? Nomak was a vampire that was infected with the "Reaper" virus.
Yup, at least that is how the books are.

#20 ·
At least you're not going to the dentist after watching Marathon Man. Then again, neither one is ideal. Best to keep one eye open.;)

#28 ·
Post-apocalyptic and vampires are two things that I usually hate as I feel they have been done to death, yet I still gave this show a chance on the strength of it being an FX program.

I thought the premiere was alright. The acting and dialogue were quite shoddy at times and some plot elements were spoon-fed to the audience a little too much, but this series could be a nice little diversion.

#32 ·
Watched my DVRed opener this morning. Grim, IMO. Really bizarre mix of vampire/zombie tales, overlaid with CDC superbug mumbo jumbo, and even some apparent Nazi fiction. Then there's Alien-like (the movies) bloodthirsty worms. Some gibberish at the end about love spreading the Strain. Oh my. -- John

#40 ·
Can't go too wrong with these ingredients along with rich dying white guy who wants to live forever and is apparently willing to destroy the human race to achieve it.
Also had the intrigue of the henchman who was already infected and seemed to be doing okay to some extent.

#34 ·
I read the first book and didn't care much for it. The pilot episode is pretty faithful in plotting to what I remember of the book, but benefits greatly in live action from the creepy atmosphere and Guillermo del Toro's directing. We'll see how well it holds up in the subsequent episodes when del Toro hands the reins over to other directors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.