Crossbones PREMIERE MAY 30, 2014 NBC HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I am a pirate movie/story fan in general and tend to enjoy a variety of incarnations of the subject. At first learning of Crossbones I was excited and felt adding Malkovich would give the characterization some color. But upon further review of the promos and simply thinking further about the concept, I kind of feel like "what's the story here"? As others have suggested, time is in limited supply and I have my corral of shows that I favor with Black Sails definitely being one of them. I just don't see that this show has anything to offer other than a knock off to Black Sails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224

I thought it was about as interesting as the I'm going to kill Blackbeard tonight... yeah sure the "star" of the show in the pilot/premiere. They brought back to life far too many things including the show...

Old 05-31-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 695
While I am a "Black Sails" fan, it was more bureacracy than pirate pillaging .. and a brothel played a central role ..

"Crossbones" seems to drift that same direction ..

I'm hoping that Blackbeard and Lowe evolve into doing the Al Swearingen / Seth Bullock dance

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

f you like gambling themed movies, like Cincinnati Kid & The Hustler, it's worth a watch. Ed Norton is in it.

Poolhall Junkies is another good one. Christopher Walken has a small but great role.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I like his stuff, but 10 hours of Malkovich in one character is too much for me....I'll pass.

Will miss all of your multi-quote responses. wink.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 05-31-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I'm in other threads here and there on the forum.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I liked it but wouldn't call it great. Will give it a few more eps to go somewhere..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I was going to watch this on Hulu + but you can only watch it on a PC. I refuse to sit at my computer to watch TV, better luck next time NBC.

To Hulu, I'm sick of this some content is only available on a PC crap. Other services seem to be able to avoid this so restructure your deals! As a new "cord cutter" this stuff is becoming incredibly frustrating.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 06-01-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I was going to watch this on Hulu + but you can only watch it on a PC. I refuse to sit at my computer to watch TV, better luck next time NBC.

To Hulu, I'm sick of this some content is only available on a PC crap. Other services seem to be able to avoid this so restructure your deals! As a new "cord cutter" this stuff is becoming incredibly frustrating.

+1 not to mention you still have to watch commercials, no way to FF😡
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

+1 not to mention you still have to watch commercials, no way to FF😡
Which is why I don't understand why anyone would do the streaming/PC thing...
Sorry, but I f_cking hate being held hostage by marketers.rolleyes.gif

Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

I can "cast" using a Chromecast to the TV and hit the "mute" button on commercials. I liked the pilot and the subtext and hope it doesn't all fall apart after the pilot. Perhaps that's a rule that Malkovich has that it can't go downhill just to satisfy filling enough episodes.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which is why I don't understand why anyone would do the streaming/PC thing...
Sorry, but I f_cking hate being held hostage by marketers.rolleyes.gif

Which is why I'm still attached to directv's umbilical cord😉
Old 06-01-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Which is why I'm still attached to directv's umbilical cord😉
As am I.

FWIW, I like DirecTV.
Lots of HD and programming choices.
Although I wish I could just delete SD feed....

Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As am I.

FWIW, I like DirecTV.
Lots of HD and programming choices.
Although I wish I could just delete SD feed....

You know you can hide the SD duplicates right?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:

I've never understood this. How can they stop you from using your TV? Connect your TV as a second monitor and clone your display to the TV. Hulu shouldn't know the difference. confused.gif
Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
‘Crossbones’ Debuts OK, ‘What Would You Do?’ Down
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - May 31, 2014

Last Friday the only original drama on television was the Season 2 finale of NBC’s Hannibal. Last night, the only original drama on television was also on NBC and it was the debut of Crossbones (1.1/4). Originally intended to premiere midseason and be paired with Grimm, the lush action-adventure pirate series from Luther creator Neil Cross and toplined by John Malkovich was plunked over to the summer in February and Hannibal’s second season got the spot. Now it is Crossbones’ time to have Fridays at 10PM, though on the surface the once 10, now 9-episode show’s comparisons to Hannibal are apparent. For one, both are bloody and beautiful to look at, though the Bryan Fuller-created show is more textured in both regards. From a numbers POV, the Blackbeard re-telling debuted with exactly the same ratings as the Season 2 premiere of Hannibal did back on February 28 in the 10 PM slot. In fact, last night’s result was the best NBC has done in the slot since the debut of Hannibal’s latest cycle and saw a 38% rise from Hannibal’s S2 ender last week. It was also better than Fox’s recent debut of Gang Related on May 22. Crossbones’ start was however down from the now cancelled Dracula which opened in the same slot on NBC on October 25 last year with a 1.8 rating among Adults 18-49.

This being pre-summer, of course Friday nights are news mag night and on that high sea, swords were drawn. Leading in to Crossbones, NBC’s 2-hour Dateline (1.3/5) bopped up 8% from last week and hit a two-month high which likely gave the pirate drama some wind in its sails. With 7.07 million viewers, Dateline was also the most watched show of the night. Over on ABC at 9 PM hidden camera series Primetime: What Would You Do? (1.1/4) tumbled 15% from its latest premiere last week. Lead-out 20/20 (1.4/5) was even with its May 23 show making it the top rated show of the night for the second week in a row.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/crossbones-ratings-john-malkovich-nbc-hannibal-what-would-you-do-abc-2020/

Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You know you can hide the SD duplicates right?
I do, but am always afraid a new HD channel will be added and I won't be able to notice it.wink.gif

Old 06-01-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

I do, but am always afraid a new HD channel will be added and I won't be able to notice it.wink.gif
A new HD channel should still show up in the guide even if you have "Hide HD Duplicates" checked in setup.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I've never understood this. How can they stop you from using your TV? Connect your TV as a second monitor and clone your display to the TV. Hulu shouldn't know the difference. confused.gif

I'll either use a laptop with an HDMI out or a PC .... no sweat ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

A new HD channel should still show up in the guide even if you have "Hide HD Duplicates" checked in setup.
In theory, yes.
Unfortunately, life has taught me assumptions have a habit of biting me on the a$$.tongue.gif

Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I'm in other threads here and there on the forum.smile.gif

Me too. That's how I knew about your style, not a criticism, just an observation. smile.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Watched this and thought it was if they watched Black Sails, changed a few things around, found a lead(Malkovich) who must have been bored out of his mind to get involved in this show, and cranked out what looks like a store-brand(NBC) knockoff of the Starz original.

It was terrible.

Oh yeah, and it's a summer run program that will no doubt not be renewed and result with a cliffhanger ending that never gets resolved. Thanks, but no thanks.

You have reinforced my original judgment about the show. Couldn't work up enough enthusiasm for Crossbones to setup a season pass. Now that I have missed the first episode and the show is shown one and done each week as the Big Four networks do, I can forget about the season with a clear conscience.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I'm on the fence.

There were things to like, but overall I'm not sure I'm impressed.

The doctor just seems to be too good at everything and knowing they weren't going to actually succeed in killing Blackbeard just made the whole thing fall flat.

I'll give it another go, but it really needs to do something to grab me, or I'm out. For one thing, there needs to be more pirating. The pilot felt like they only had the budget for a couple days rental of the ship.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm on the fence.

I'll give it another go, but it really needs to do something to grab me, or I'm out. For one thing, there needs to be more pirating. The pilot felt like they only had the budget for a couple days rental of the ship.

Also a problem with 'Black Sails'. In the TV world, only the 'Horatio Hornblower' telemovies projected a more-or-less realistic portrayal of seafaring on a show about sailing ships, pirates, the British and Spanish Navies, etc. The A&E Network broadcast them a few years back. And it's a shame we never got a big-screen sequel to Russel Crowe's Master and Commander, which I felt was a terrific adaptation of the Patrick O'Brian novels.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Also a problem with 'Black Sails'. In the TV world, only the 'Horatio Hornblower' telemovies projected a more-or-less realistic portrayal of seafaring on a show about sailing ships, pirates, the British and Spanish Navies, etc. The A&E Network broadcast them a few years back. And it's a shame we never got a big-screen sequel to Russel Crowe's Master and Commander, which I felt was a terrific adaptation of the Patrick O'Brian novels.

Yeah, if they had the budget to replicate even some of the work from 'M & C' .. that film is not only a wonderful adaptation, but a must watch for me at least once a year .. not only because it is such a great film, but it helps keep any dust off by two sub's .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

According to Hulu+ it's a licensing thing. They didn't have the rights to stream "Hannibal" either to a TV. Sure you can hook up the TV to HDMI. I tried that but there were driver problems with the HDMI audio that I really didn't want to spend time sorting out.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Look... given the absolute crap the networks cram down our throats these days... this series is f-ing awesome. Is it REALLY awesome? NO!!! It just doesn't suck poop like most of the other junk being broadcast at us. Give 'em a little credit for investing some money and effort into TRYING to make a decent product!!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A show like this needs at least 2 - 3 episodes to set the tone, establish the cast, etc .. I've certainly not given up on it ...

Uncle Willie

Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I don't agree with all the hate, either. It wasn't amazing by any means, but it wasn't the utter garbage that many seem to make it out to be, either. I'll stick with it for a while, at least.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The show was OK but John Malkovich just didn't quite do it for me as a notorious pirate. That odd speech pattern of his sounded too affected at times.