Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
‘Crossbones’ Final Episodes To Air On Saturday
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jul. 24, 2014

NBC has shipped pirate drama Crossbones to Saturday for its last two airings, with this Friday’s episode the last to air in the series’ regular Friday 10 PM slot. The John Malkovich starrer will then be replaced by an NBC News special and Dateline for the following two weeks.

Crossbones, which had been in the works for a long time, having been announced at NBC’s 2012 May upfront, started slow and has since lost half of its premiere rating, most recently drawing a 0.5 in 18-49 and 2.7 million viewers last Friday. NBC often sends underperforming dramas to end their runs on the low-trafficked Saturday night, something it previously did with Smash and Crisis.
TitanTV shows a two episode burn on August 2, 8-10 PM Eastern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
If Con Air, Red 1, 2 and Warm Bodies are the kind of parts Malkovich gets offered I can see why he turned to TV. None of those films are what Malkovich made him a 'star' more like did it for the money cameo parts.
No you are absolutely correct.

It was the action thriller "In the Line of Fire" that made him a "star" all the other action movies he's been starring in for 20 years must be anomalies.

And appearing in a burnoff NBC show with a cast of nobodies is not exactly a creative improvement. If he's making Transformers for the money I expect the incentive was the same here.

Last edited by VisionOn; 07-26-2014 at 08:24 AM.
post #93 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
I don't think it was John Malkovich that killed "Crossbones" .. viewers were simply not interested .. I personally like the show and it sure beats some of the other Summer material like "Under the Dome" ..

Malkovich, to me anyway, was always too off center to really make it as a lead .. he has always been more of a character actor .. I'd have to say two of my favorite parts he's played were in "Empire of the Sun" and "The Great Buck Howard" ... he has also been in other Television productions, so he really did not "turn to TV" in some sort of negative sense ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 07-26-2014 at 11:26 AM.
post #94 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Oh, please, you know that's not what I meant.

We're talking about a show about pirates, yet they fail to act like them at all. If I'm going to watch show about pirates, I want to see some actual pirating going on.

...and pillaging!

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎
post #95 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I don't think it was John Malkovich that killed "Crossbones" .. viewers were simply not interested .. I personally like the show and it sure beats some of the other Summer material like "Under the Dome" ..

Malkovich, to me anyway, was always too off center to really make it as a lead .. he has always been more of a character actor .. I'd have to say two of my favorite parts he's played were in "Empire of the Sun" and "The Great Buck Howard" ... he has also been in other Television productions, so he really did not "turn to TV" in some sort of negative sense ..
I agree with everything you say.

In fact, he would have been better cast as the guy with the plans to the compass in his head and have someone more "brutish" play Blackbeard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I agree with everything you say.

In fact, he would have been better cast as the guy with the plans to the compass in his head and have someone more "brutish" play Blackbeard.
To me, a big, although not all, problem with the shows ability to attract and hold an audience (which when it first aired was pretty good) .. was the imagining of Blackbeard 20 years after he was supposed to be dead .. viewers expected some larger than life guy with a big beard that was on fire .. instead they got, er .. John Malkovich ..

"Black Sails" pulled off the pirate genre pretty well, and there was not a huge amount of pirating and pillaging there, either ..

Kudos to NBC for giving it a shot, especially something outside the norm .. I thought "Crusoe" had great potential as well, but it went down in flames ..

Oh, well ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #97 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I thought "Crusoe" had great potential as well, but it went down in flames ..

Oh, well ..
You mean "Lord of the Pullies"?

Friday: The natives are attacking!
Crusoe: Don't worry - I have ropes...and pullies. All I need are some sandbags a chicken and the leftover berry pie and I'll be able to put together a clever defense...
Friday: What's the pie for?
Crusoe: Setting traps is hungry work...

Last edited by NetworkTV; 07-26-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #98 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You mean "Lord of the Pullies"?
The Treehouse was, you gotta admit, a MacGyveristic concoction .. by jungle standards, it was amazing ..

the things you can do with bamboo ..

Uncle Willie

post #99 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Treehouse was, you gotta admit, a MacGyveristic concoction .. by jungle standards, it was amazing ..

the things you can do with bamboo ..
The Swiss Family Crusoe?

...minus Moochie, of course....

post #100 of 104 Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Swiss Family Crusoe?

That might have saved the show .. hot widow (Erin Reagan) is washed ashore with her 3 kids during a typhoon .. etc ..

Uncle Willie

post #101 of 104 Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I don't think it was John Malkovich that killed "Crossbones" .. viewers were simply not interested.
Yup, I'm usually not interested in the "pirate" era but Malkovich and an attempt bring in some historical stuff perked my interest ... a little. A friend who was into the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films likes the show though.

Someday studio execs will start ordering 6 rich episodes than too many as time fillers. Perhaps after Hollywood falls into the sea.
post #102 of 104 Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Finished watching the last episodes today. The last two were really good. If the rest had been as exciting it may have lasted longer!
post #103 of 104 Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
We thought it was a horrible ending and flies in what they have established with BB being better swordsman/fighter then the doctor and already taking him out once. Just the whole thing was rushed. Sure he is still alive with the fake head from the body he was studying but still, pretty rushed and bad.

post #104 of 104 Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The show had potential .. hopefully, NBC will still be willing to take on an outside of the mainstream project ..

Thanks to all that commented, such as it was ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page