AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Crossbones PREMIERE MAY 30, 2014 NBC HD (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1533074-crossbones-premiere-may-30-2014-nbc-hd.html)

mgkdragn 05-24-2014 10:26 AM

Saw a promo clip last night, did a search on AVS, turned up nothing, so here you go .. suddenly, with this and "Black Sails", pirates seem to be the new black ..

Crossbones PREMIERE MAY 30, 2014 NBC HD

From Neil Cross, the award-winning creator of "Luther," comes "Crossbones," a compelling new one-hour drama filled with extraordinary action, adventure and intrigue - set in a world where one can never be sure just who is hero and who is villain.

It's 1729. On the secret island of Santa Compana, Edward Teach, better known as the barbarous pirate Blackbeard (Emmy winner John Malkovich, "Death of a Salesman," "Red"), reigns over a rogue nation of thieves, outlaws and miscreants. Part shantytown, part utopia, part marauder's paradise, this is a place like no other.

Blackbeard has designs on the longitude chronometer, an invention that will change the world. During a massive attack on an English vessel, his most trusted pirates attempt to steal the device. But on board is Tom Lowe (Richard Coyle, "Covert Affairs"), an English spy working undercover as ship's surgeon. Lowe's mission is to prevent the chronometer from falling into the hands of pirates - and to assassinate Blackbeard, should the opportunity arise.

Taken as prisoner to Santa Compana, Lowe must find a way to reassemble the precious chronometer, all while trying to uncover Blackbeard's master plan - a plan that includes a greater threat to the English throne than merely pirates...

In addition to Cross, executive producers include Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald ("Gladiator," "Men in Black"), Ted Gold ("Three Rivers") and Ciaran Donnelly ("Vikings," "The Tudors").

lonwolf615 05-24-2014 10:41 AM

Hadn't herde about his, thanks for the heads up. Pirates aren't really my cup of tea, and its NBC..,.but I love Luther, so its worth a look.

vfxproducer 05-24-2014 01:15 PM

Well, it looks better than the interminably boring "Black Sails". I'm in for at least a few episodes. Based on the promo, I have a feeling the pitch was something like "It's Colonel Kurtz, but he's a pirate".

mgkdragn 05-24-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Well, it looks better than the interminably boring "Black Sails". I'm in for at least a few episodes. Based on the promo, I have a feeling the pitch was something like "It's Colonel Kurtz, but he's a pirate".

The novelty of having Malkovich starring in a TV series compels me to at least give it a shot ..

VisionOn 05-25-2014 02:33 AM

Friday death slot, summer burn-off, production hell, Malkovich not the main character, EW gives it a D+ rating ...

not promising signs.

vfxproducer 05-25-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Friday death slot, summer burn-off, production hell, Malkovich not the main character, EW gives it a D+ rating ...

not promising signs.

Well I loved Cutthroat Island, so I'm probably a little more open to pirate themed adventure than Entertainment Weekly,

VisionOn 05-25-2014 10:58 AM

When you watch it try and imagine what it would be like with Hugh Laurie as Blackbeard. If I remember correctly he was the first choice.

skyehill 05-25-2014 04:56 PM

Entertainment Weekly gave this a 'D' in their latest issue. Ouch.

DrLar 05-28-2014 08:07 AM

Errr just saw the promos last night... Black Beard with a while beard and bald and seems he's also gay... I'll pass...

Maybe they should have chosen Jonathan Banks for this one.. J.M. doesn't appeal to me sorry

73shark 05-29-2014 07:56 PM

Plan to give it a look-see. After all it's the TV doldrums of summer. cool.gif

ambesolman 05-29-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Well I loved Cutthroat Island, so I'm probably a little more open to pirate themed adventure than Entertainment Weekly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Entertainment Weekly gave this a 'D' in their latest issue. Ouch.

Hard for them to like anything without a kardashian in it.😒

VisionOn 05-31-2014 06:14 AM

The real reason there are no pigs on Blackbeard's island is because Malkovich ate all the ham! Woah, he was just terrible to watch. Almost as bad as the dialog.

When the hot girl with wheelchair pirate husband appeared and the clumsy flirting between her and cut-price Russell Crowe, I knew I was one and done.

tomhunter8 05-31-2014 06:21 AM

On "The Wil Wheaton Project" they showed clips of Malkovich talking about "Crossbones" and it was hilarious. It sounded as if he hated it and was bored to death. LOL

archiguy 05-31-2014 06:38 AM

Only room for one pirate drama in my life, and 'Black Sails' is it. Only room for one "history of the PC" era show, and 'Silicon Valley' is it (sorry, 'Halt & Catch Fire'). There's just too much good stuff on these days; triage is necessary.

On a more superficial level, 'Crossbones' is a broadcast network show, and that means no gratuitous nudity, which I happen to enjoy in my pirate dramas. Does that make me a bad person? A bad pirate?

ambesolman 05-31-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Only room for one pirate drama in my life, and 'Black Sails' is it. Only room for one "history of the PC" era show, and 'Silicon Valley' is it (sorry, 'Halt & Catch Fire'). There's just too much good stuff on these days; triage is necessary.

On a more superficial level, 'Crossbones' is a broadcast network show, and that means no gratuitous nudity, which I happen to enjoy in my pirate dramas. Does that make me a bad person? A bad pirate?

This one may be more up your alley...wasn't bad😏

73shark 05-31-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

The real reason there are no pigs on Blackbeard's island is because Malkovich ate all the ham! Woah, he was just terrible to watch. Almost as bad as the dialog.

When the hot girl with wheelchair pirate husband appeared and the clumsy flirting between her and cut-price Russell Crowe, I knew I was one and done.

And I thought I'd be the only one that thought Lowe was being played by a poor man's Russell Crowe.

For a non-MD, he seems to possess a lot of medical knowledge.

ss9001 05-31-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

sums it up for me wink.gif

network = sanitized
HBO/Starz = the real deal biggrin.gif

hey, I recorded it last night and was going to give it a try....but imagine my surprise when I discovered it had no dialog, nothing but subtitles! eek.gif my center channel is OK, no dialog even with stereo downmix which is OK on everything else, Continuum from last night was OK, other broadcast real time is OK. so either local Comcast had a technical problem broadcasting last night's premiere or the feed from NBC to them was defective. either way, all I got was music & guns but no talking tongue.gif

the good news is I deleted it and have no reason to burden myself trying to pick up the story. if the cable company or local network is incompetent not to broadcast it correctly then that's good enough reason not to watch another series that I know in my gut will be mediocre, disappointing & most likely will get cancelled after this season. it has that aura about it. for Friday night fare, it's probably just summer filler anyway. no need to invest the time on a lost cause. already been burned by this season of Revolution, thank you NBC tongue.gif

at least that's my excuse for deleting the series. the reviews I read weren't all that favorable. and I did happen to like Black Sails, at least it had the nudity & cursing done right wink.gif and we know it's renewed.

even Malkovich's weird/bad guy persona can't make a network show about pirates realistic & gritty enough for my taste. it will be dumbed down.

ss9001 05-31-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Almost as bad as the dialog.

at least you got to hear the dialog wink.gif

VisionOn 05-31-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Quote:

Almost as bad as the dialog.

at least you got to hear the dialog wink.gif

You probably got the best part of the deal there. You didn't have to hear Malkovich and his weird, strangled pronunciation.

ss9001 05-31-2014 09:04 AM

^^
you're probably right, I'll take your word for it smile.gif sounds like a poor performance from several early posts tongue.gif

mgkdragn 05-31-2014 10:52 AM

I'll agree with Arch that time is tough to find and you have to be fairly selective these days .. and so far, Crossbones is no Black Sails ..

However, I'm going to give it at least a couple more episodes .. it's hard to judge off one ..

Malkovich accent took some time to get used to .. but I thought he did a good job .. he always does a good job .. it's not a role he's playing to mimic our knowledge of the actual Blackbeard, certainly .. in fact, it's almost like a retired Blackbeard and he's moved to a nice tropical island and looks forward to his trip to Golden Corral for dinner .. pirating was just too much work ..

The thing that stood out for me was Tom Lowe being positioned as the more leading character rather than Malkovich ..

VisionOn 05-31-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Malkovich accent took some time to get used to .. but I thought he did a good job .. he always does a good job ..

With his "accent"? Whatever country Blackbeard is from on this show is apparently no country on the planet that anyone can recognize. I get the impression he was just speaking weird for weird's sake. Then again I don't remember ever hearing Malkovich in a role with an English accent, so maybe he just cannot pull it off.

TinnEars 05-31-2014 11:38 AM

Ran across this accidentally last night... interesting show. It stopped me from constantly surfing for something decent to watch. No more click click click click click click click... It was actually pretty good. But... I don't have a pay-for-TV service... just whatever's over the airwaves.

mgkdragn 05-31-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

With his "accent"? Whatever country Blackbeard is from on this show is apparently no country on the planet that anyone can recognize. I get the impression he was just speaking weird for weird's sake. Then again I don't remember ever hearing Malkovich in a role with an English accent, so maybe he just cannot pull it off.

I'm sure he invented the accent .. I'd known his brother for at least 25 years, the family is of Croatian background and John lived in France for many years .. and I can tell you for sure, John does a lot of weird things just for weird's sake ..

Keenan 05-31-2014 11:56 AM

Watched this and thought it was if they watched Black Sails, changed a few things around, found a lead(Malkovich) who must have been bored out of his mind to get involved in this show, and cranked out what looks like a store-brand(NBC) knockoff of the Starz original.

It was terrible.

Oh yeah, and it's a summer run program that will no doubt not be renewed and result with a cliffhanger ending that never gets resolved. Thanks, but no thanks.

ss9001 05-31-2014 12:08 PM

^^
someone as cynical as me eek.gif
refreshing! biggrin.gif

like I said, I was skeptical but willing to give it a shot for 1-2 episodes. no dialog & no repeats made it EZ to reach a decision. I'm sure NBC has it online but the FF'ing I did to check the audio didn't reveal anything earth-shatteringly unique.

speaking of Malkovich accents, he tried imitating Russian in the Matt Damon movie, Rounders, where he played a poker card shark Matt's character owed a lot of money. if you like gambling themed movies, like Cincinnati Kid & The Hustler, it's worth a watch. Ed Norton is in it.

TinnEars 05-31-2014 12:12 PM

Oh... c'mon. This show isn't 1/10th as bad as most crap being broadcast these days.

mgkdragn 05-31-2014 12:13 PM

Malkovich had cited Neil Cross as being the main reason he decided to do the show ..

The show concept was Blackbeard 20 years after he supposedly died ..

It's only 10 episodes ..

oink 05-31-2014 12:19 PM

I like his stuff, but 10 hours of Malkovich in one character is too much for me....I'll pass.

WilliamR 05-31-2014 12:21 PM

We watched it, thought it was OK. We will give it another episode or two before we decide.