Halt and Catch Fire AMC HD June 1, 2014 - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #271 of 378 Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I remember moving from dos to 3.1 on PC hated file mgr and c: win_> dir:c or maybe just dir: I think that's how it went been a good while ,actually liked Solaris on Unix at work better at the time it was more stable and all just took
a good loooong while to boot
phildaant likes this.

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-30-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 378 Old 07-31-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 113
No one has mentioned the brief view of the calculator in the briefcase. I had a couple of those at the time. Might not be the exact model, as it wasn't clear enough.

As for the Mac, they were purchased at the place I worked at the time in order to do the manuals for the products. They bought the monitor mods in order to have the external vertical displays. The Mac screen sucked for doing documentation.

I even purchased an Apple LaserWriter printer to use at home. I still have that thing. Good ole PostScript.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #273 of 378 Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
First IBM clone after living in the Atari world. $3000 from Midwest Computing. Had it for 3 days and then I called because I was at C:\ prompt and did not know to type Win to start Windows.
post #274 of 378 Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
First IBM clone after living in the Atari world. $3000 from Midwest Computing. Had it for 3 days and then I called because I was at C:\ prompt and did not know to type Win to start Windows.
I remember that too....
That's when a DOS session was really a DOS session!
We have a radio guy at work that still uses an ancient IBM laptop with win95 to program old legacy analog radio transmitters/repeaters. That old equipment requires real DB9 serial connections and only communicates with real DOS programs. IIRC, WIN95 was the last Windows that had the ability to run an actual DOS session rather than a DOS shell. I always chuckle when he fires that thing up....
phildaant likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #275 of 378 Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I remember that too....
That's when a DOS session was really a DOS session!
We have a radio guy at work that still uses an ancient IBM laptop with win95 to program old legacy analog radio transmitters/repeaters. That old equipment requires real DB9 serial connections and only communicates with real DOS programs. IIRC, WIN95 was the last Windows that had the ability to run an actual DOS session rather than a DOS shell. I always chuckle when he fires that thing up....
Cough, ahem ... I use a similar laptop for similar reasons .. and the amazing part is, it fires up each and every time .. kinda like having an old car that just won't die .. hardware was hardware back in the day ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #276 of 378 Old 07-31-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Cough, ahem ... I use a similar laptop for similar reasons .. and the amazing part is, it fires up each and every time .. kinda like having an old car that just won't die .. hardware was hardware back in the day ..
A few years ago, I donated my working Compaq Armada 1585DMT lappy from my college days after backing it up and Dbanning it. It was my customized Windows 95 OSR2 OEM. It had cool stuff on it like animated LCARS, icons, etc. However, it is no use to me these days except for my flashbacks. Hopefully, someone will find use of it from my donation!
post #277 of 378 Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

They finally had some recognizable 80's standards in the last episode!
Berlin- Sex (I'm a Man) 1983:
Now that's classic 80's!!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #278 of 378 Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I do believe tonight's show was planned as the series finale. I'll miss it if it was.
gwsat and phildaant like this.
post #279 of 378 Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm guessing after watching last night's episode that it didn't get renewed.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #280 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I sure hope that wasn't the series finale'.
Talk about short lived success- their computer isn't even on the store shelves yet and the group is scattered to the wind!

Lets keep out fingers crossed for a renewal....

post #281 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Halt and Catch Fire AMC HD June 1, 2014

They pulled out all the stops in the last episode and seemed to give a seasons worth of "drops". RoTJ, the music, etc.

If this was the series finale I will miss it.
post #282 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I don't see how Gordon would ever work with Joe again. You could say that Joe has "burned all his bridges". Maybe if Gordon thinks that he needs Joe's creative mind to come out with the Giant 2.0.

It was good to see Donna and Cameron having a positive result of this whole ordeal instead of being casualties.

After following the whole season, it occurs to me that Joe has the Halt & Catch Fire command built into his DNA.
post #283 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

When Gordon asked "what's next?" after Giant 1.0 I raised my hand and waved it around like an anxious like a school kid with the answer.... Smaller... lighter... faster...cheaper!!!

post #284 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Although I like the show, I'm not really holding out for a second season .. AMC could drop it on Netflix streaming and see if they could build a bigger fan base, but with ratings such as they have had (dropping to less than half the original viewers) .. a renewal just does not seem likely ..

Although "Turn" was renewed and was not a ratings grabber either .. "Low Winter Sun" did not dip down as far as HCF yet it was cancelled ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #285 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Although I like the show, I'm not really holding out for a second season .. AMC could drop it on Netflix streaming and see if they could build a bigger fan base, but with ratings such as they have had (dropping to less than half the original viewers) .. a renewal just does not seem likely ..

Although "Turn" was renewed and was not a ratings grabber either .. "Low Winter Sun" did not dip down as far as HCF yet it was cancelled ..
I loved Halt and Catch Fire, especially the season (Series?) finale. I too really hope it gets renewed.

I dropped Low Winter Sun about half way through the season, so I didn't mind at all that it got cancelled. Turn, though, is a very good show and I was glad to see that it was renewed. To me, however, Halt and Catch Fire is significantly better than Turn. I really like Lee Pace. No young actor working combines charisma with weirdness as well as Pace does. In some ways, he reminds me of a young Jack Nicholson.
post #286 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I loved Halt and Catch Fire, especially the season (Series?) finale. I too really hope it gets renewed.

....I really like Lee Pace. No young actor working combines charisma with weirdness as well as Pace does. In some ways, he reminds me of a young Jack Nicholson.
Agreed, he's kind of scary/unpredictable like Jack... like he could light off a truckload of PC's on a whim...

post #287 of 378 Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
I don't see how Gordon would ever work with Joe again. You could say that Joe has "burned all his bridges". Maybe if Gordon thinks that he needs Joe's creative mind to come out with the Giant 2.0.
That was exactly how they set it up for another season, if it happens. I have my doubts that it's going to be renewed but I hope it is. It was way better than Low Winter Sun, one of the rare duds for AMC.
post #288 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The ending was totally unexpected. What bothered me a little was that there was nothing mentioned about the burning of the first shipment. Joe is really messed up in the head.

Also, am I the only one that noticed the Commodore floppy drive on the shelf? I had two of those with my C64,

I too will miss the series. That said, I have no clue as to where they can go from here. The trio has left the building.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #289 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
The ending was totally unexpected. What bothered me a little was that there was nothing mentioned about the burning of the first shipment.
Yeah, that confused me too.

Do they not know yet?
post #290 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Yeah, that confused me too.

Do they not know yet?

I don't remember exactly, but Gordon got a call at home after they got home from the carjacking. That was probably the news of the fire. He probably wasn't too surprised that Joe would do it. In the back of his mind, he was waiting for the other shoe to drop with Joe.
post #291 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Maybe the writers had Joe burn the PCs because that would give a credible wrap up to the series since that would effectively kill Cardiff's efforts.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #292 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
...That said, I have no clue as to where they can go from here. The trio has left the building.
It wouldn't be that difficult to get then back together again (heck, look at the Eagles... they just took a 13 year vacation )
Gordon still works at CE...
Cameron runs out of startup $$ for her new company and Donna convinces her to go back to CE...
Joe finds himself and inner peace while climbing the mountain and decides to try CE again...
Solved in the first episode of season two!
Now on to Giant II with the 286CPU, 3.5" floppy and 28.8Kbps modem .....
Ph8te likes this.

post #293 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
After following the whole season, it occurs to me that Joe has the Halt & Catch Fire command built into his DNA.
The title of the show refers to the relationship between the three leads. It basically predicts that there doomed to crash and burn.

I haven't posted in this thread b4 today because I wanted to get caught up. I had not heard about this show until reading about it in the "Hot off the press" thread. And maybe that's part of the problem with the ratings.

I usually find out about new shows by hearing about them in a commercial. But I never saw one single commercial for this show. Not one.

The subject matter could also be a reason for low ratings, however, I hear the ratings for Turn weren't bad, and I never though a history themed show would draw many viewers.

Reading this entire thread, which is pretty short considering it covers the entire season (one page per episode, based on the mobile version of this site), I find it troubling that there has been more discussion of pallet wrap and walks down computer memory lane then there is about events in the show.

I'm somewhat of a computer geek myself, though not to the extent some of you seem to be. I got into it fairly late, around 1995. I think that was right around the time Win 95 came out.

I have to say I loved this show. Watching the team form and conceive the Giant was very entertaining. But I have my doubts how much interest non-techies might have. My guess is those folks would be more interested in the drama between the charactors.

I'd bet most of the audience for Dallas had little to no interest in the oil business. It was the relationship between the charactors that brought them back every week.

Perhaps if AMC put more effort into publicizing the show, focusing less on the computer aspect, and more on the relationships and time period, it might have found an audience.

Some have suggested they should have spent more on bringing the early 80's to life. I agree 100%. I am constantly amazed every time I see young people (25 or younger) listening to music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. When I was a teen (early to mid 70's), no one would be caught dead listening to music from the 30's or 40's. Heck, I see teens today quoting the original Star Wars. So I don't think the issue with ratings had anything to do with the time period.

I am always puzzled when a TV show or movie is produced that clearly depends on creating a certain reality, but is not given the budget to do so. What is the point?

My feeling is the writers wrote the final episode planning on a season two, but wrote it so that if it got cancelled, it could stand as an ending. I wish it would get renewed. I really want to see what happens next. Some of you have written that none of the charactors are likable. I disagree. They are, each one, damaged in some way. Personally, I want to see them succeed.
gwsat likes this.
post #294 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

leebo -- I agree with your analysis. See Post #283 above.
post #295 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dropped Low Winter Sun about half way through the season, so I didn't mind at all that it got cancelled. Turn, though, is a very good show and I was glad to see that it was renewed. To me, however, Halt and Catch Fire is significantly better than Turn. I really like Lee Pace. No young actor working combines charisma with weirdness as well as Pace does. In some ways, he reminds me of a young Jack Nicholson.
I think his work in this series was very compelling, absolutly deserving of recognition. I don't remember hearing of him b4 this series, I watched Pushing Daisys, but to me it was a forgettable show after the novelty wore off, and I don't remember him in the Hobbit (though I haven't seen the second film yet, so I'll be on the lookout).
post #296 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
The title of the show refers to the relationship between the three leads. It basically predicts that there doomed to crash and burn.
HFC is an old phrase that indicates a CPU has stopped operating .. although the Catch Fire part is really more of a programmers inside joke ..
Ph8te and 73shark like this.

Uncle Willie

post #297 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HFC is an old phrase that indicates a CPU has stopped operating .. although the Catch Fire part is really more of a programmers inside joke ..
My comment was based on the opening shot in this series. Something like "A command that caused applications to compete for CPU cycles, resulting in the loss of control over the computer", or something close to that I think. I still have all the episodes. I'll try to get the exact phrase tonight and edit this post.

The three leads were constantly competing for control over the direction of the Giant, almost to the destruction of the company.

Last edited by leebo; 08-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
post #298 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.ibtimes.com/will-halt-catch-fire-get-cancelled-how-ratings-compare-other-amc-shows-chances-renewal-1653418
phildaant likes this.
post #299 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I think his work in this series was very compelling, absolutly deserving of recognition. I don't remember hearing of him b4 this series, I watched Pushing Daisys, but to me it was a forgettable show after the novelty wore off, and I don't remember him in the Hobbit (though I haven't seen the second film yet, so I'll be on the lookout).
I liked Lee Pace in Pushing Daisies too. In that show, though, his weirdness was leavened with a sweetness, which he rarely if ever showed in Halt and Catch Fire. The guy is a terrific actor. He turns in memorable performances in everything he is in.
phildaant likes this.
post #300 of 378 Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Thumbs up

Quote:
I liked Lee Pace in Pushing Daisies too. In that show, though, his weirdness was leavened with a sweetness, which he rarely if ever showed in Halt and Catch Fire. The guy is a terrific actor. He turns in memorable performances in everything he is in.
Pushing Daisies! Yes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page