Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #61 of 377 Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Its nice to hear folks talking about these old home computers in this thread. I too had the Vic-20 and C-64, but my first ever computer was a Sinclair ZX-80 ! Wow, less than 1K of memory built in and a membrane keyboard. Each time you pressed a key the tv would flicker ! The thing got hotter than the sun as well. Fun times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yet another show that feels the need to force a gay scene on its viewers.
On the fence with this show to begin with, may have just fallen off.
Zookster likes this.
post #63 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Joe's partner in the scene was the QB from the USA show from a couple of years ago that was also gay.
post #64 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think the gay hookup was just sloppy writing, it was an easy out for the writers. They needed some way to scuttle the deal and instead of any of a dozen way took the easy way out.

I still like the show. I had a couple of Atari computers in that time frame, still sitting the attic somewhere. Never really got into assembler language, but recall typing in line after line of code from various magazines, I did have the tape unit to save the programs, but that system was pretty fragile, a dropout on the tape would ruin whatever was saved.
post #65 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Seems like they can't make up their mind if Cardiff is Compaq or Kaypro.

Clearly the suit guy is suppose to be a charismatic type like Jobs with the nerdy Woz at his side. But they have an Apple Computer as well as Compaq in this HCF universe.

The companies which had roles in the way the PC market developed in the '80s and beyond are already there. So what is this fictional company and these characters going to bring?
post #66 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Compaq came up in a previous episode. So it's out of the running. Perhaps it is Kaypro.
post #67 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Compaq came up in a previous episode. So it's out of the running. Perhaps it is Kaypro.
I definitely remember hearing Compaq mentioned, I thought it might have even been mentioned in the latest episode, but I also definitely remember hearing it mentioned.
post #68 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
Joe's partner in the scene was the QB from the USA show from a couple of years ago that was also gay.
Necessary Roughness, maybe?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #69 of 377 Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post
Yet another show that feels the need to force a gay scene on its viewers.
On the fence with this show to begin with, may have just fallen off.

Not sure I would say "force" and that was a VERY tame scene compared to what's shown on other shows.

The scene itself while it might have felt forced may go to further give us background into who Joe is. We still don't know his past outside of an incident at IBM where he "left" the company and basically dropped off the radar. Since we are still seeing the layers peeled back it doesn't surprise me to see these sort of things pop up. Joe seems self destructive, but then he usually gets what he wants. He went to the stereo store caused a stir, what do we see next episode he bought/got one. In this scene he knows she is trying to make a quick buck off the company and it could be disastrous for his future. What does he do? He hits her where it counts (her ego) pow the poison deal is killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #70 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That's the show Shark. Good catch
post #71 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Seems like Cameron's not making much progress on her BIOS... wonder if she's going to take a peek at the dump binder....

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #72 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I definitely remember hearing Compaq mentioned, I thought it might have even been mentioned in the latest episode, but I also definitely remember hearing it mentioned.
Has to be Compaq, Kaypro was never in the running.
post #73 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Clearly the suit guy is suppose to be a charismatic type like Jobs with the nerdy Woz at his side. But they have an Apple Computer as well as Compaq in this HCF universe.

The companies which had roles in the way the PC market developed in the '80s and beyond are already there. So what is this fictional company and these characters going to bring?

Maybe it's none while it follows closely to the timeframe, and companies in the market at that time it's not supposed to be one of the majors. It could be a number if them melded into one.

post #74 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I don't understand your question. Cardiff is a fictional company taking inspiration from actual companies and people from the actual timeframe. Joe is the idea guy (ala Jobs) who wants to produce a briefcase sized portable PC (<15 lbs???) that was not available in the early '80's. In the 3rd episode, they had a table full of "portable" computers that all looked like sewing machines. Gordon is the engineer (Woz) who is trying to bend the laws of physics and engineering conventional processes and mindset to stuff all the components into such a small size. A shame he didn't give his wife credit for the piggyback concept. Also, I thought something was going to happen between Gordon's negative co-worker/neighbor and his wife. The guy seemed to be making subtle moves on her.
post #75 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I think 'Mad Men' (also an AMC show) pretty well set the bar for period correct detail, and that is one of the reasons I really have begun to like HACF ..

Period correct digital watch, Zenith Z-120 PC's (although the Zenith was a standalone, not a terminal in reality) .. Speak and Spell ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #76 of 377 Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
I don't understand your question. Cardiff is a fictional company taking inspiration from actual companies and people from the actual timeframe. Joe is the idea guy (ala Jobs) who wants to produce a briefcase sized portable PC (<15 lbs???) that was not available in the early '80's. In the 3rd episode, they had a table full of "portable" computers that all looked like sewing machines. Gordon is the engineer (Woz) who is trying to bend the laws of physics and engineering conventional processes and mindset to stuff all the components into such a small size. A shame he didn't give his wife credit for the piggyback concept. Also, I thought something was going to happen between Gordon's negative co-worker/neighbor and his wife. The guy seemed to be making subtle moves on her.
I kind of felt bad for the negative co-worker, he was only speaking the truth of the situation, especially when he talked the time frame. He was negative, but every word was based on the reality. I've worked with those types, but you do have to be realistic, on the other hand it gets irritating being surrounded by negativism, even if it is logical.
post #77 of 377 Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I kind of felt bad for the negative co-worker, he was only speaking the truth of the situation, especially when he talked the time frame. He was negative, but every word was based on the reality. I've worked with those types, but you do have to be realistic, on the other hand it gets irritating being surrounded by negativism, even if it is logical.
There's a massive difference between laying out what you're up against and saying it can't be done at every turn. That guy was an example of the latter, which does nothing to help anything.

Constructive: "We need to find a way to condense everything so we can get a heat sink in there"
Non-Constructive: "There's no room for the heat sink. Tell Joe it's simply not going to work."

Constructive: "Now we need to come up with a way to get the board built since we aren't big enough for Intel to want to retool to make a custom board for us."
Non-Constructive: "We're never going to get anyone to build this for us. Who do you think we are? We're nobody."

It's all about how you say things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 377 Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
There's a massive difference between laying out what you're up against and saying it can't be done at every turn. That guy was an example of the latter, which does nothing to help anything.
<snip>
It's all about how you say things.
Agreed!
The fastest way to talk your self out of employment is to keep saying "no- it can't be done"!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #79 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow... that was a pretty underhanded trick Joe pulled on the group!
I was sure there was a punch in the face coming from Gordon after that, but Joe got his beating elsewhere it seems.

post #80 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm hoping Donna gets proper credit for all her hardwork other than being fired from TI. An interesting dynamic is developing between her and Cameron.
post #81 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping Donna gets proper credit for all her hardwork other than being fired from TI. An interesting dynamic is developing between her and Cameron.
Maybe she'll end up working at Cardiff?
That would be interesting, clearly she has Joe's number and isn't intimidated by his strong personality...

I assume that 'them good ole boys' cops were John's (Joe's boss) buddies and were just teaching Joe a little Texas style respect?

post #82 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
I really enjoyed this week's episode. I think Kerry Bishé who plays Donna, is a beautiful girl and a terrific young actress. It doesn't hurt either that Donna is a compelling character. I agree that Joe's boss, John, setup Joe to take a beating at the hands of the cops. I don't recall hearing, though, that John knew anything about Joe's deception with the backup floppies.

It is interesting that Joe and Cameron have hooked up. They are, by far, the most emotionally damaged characters on the show. We've seen Cameron literally play with fire and I am wondering what kind of conflagration is going to come from her relationship with Joe.
post #83 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=gwsat;25238970 I agree that Joe's boss, John, setup Joe to take a beating at the hands of the cops. I don't recall hearing, though, that John knew anything about Joe's deception with the backup floppies. [/QUOTE]

The beating was to give Joe the message that John is in charge. It wasn't any sort of punishment for the hard drive stunt. Only Joe, Donna and Gordon know.
post #84 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
The beating was to give Joe the message that John is in charge. It wasn't any sort of punishment for the hard drive stunt. Only Joe, Donna and Gordon know.
OK, suspicions confirmed, thanks! I suspect that what set John off was the reporter's question whether Joe, not John, was really in charge.
post #85 of 377 Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agreed, probably a big factor was from the meeting with the big boss at his ranch.
post #86 of 377 Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I had to suspend belief when Donna was doing her trick to recover the data. IMHO, none of that is possible.

The the beating happened, my suspicion about who caused the beating was confirmed when he was released.

Then there was Cameron carefully backing up her work. Too bad she doesn't know that her original backups were indeed good.

Hopefully Cameron goes back to not wearing a bra.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #87 of 377 Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I had to suspend belief when Donna was doing her trick to recover the data. IMHO, none of that is possible.

The the beating happened, my suspicion about who caused the beating was confirmed when he was released.

Then there was Cameron carefully backing up her work. Too bad she doesn't know that her original backups were indeed good.

Hopefully Cameron goes back to not wearing a bra.

Do you not believe it because you know it's not possible or because you think it's impossible?

While not shown well what they did to recover the data was not "out of bounds" in my limited knowledge on the subject. As expressed, it's extremely time consuming and difficult to do, but it is possible. There are much more efficient ways of getting the data now, but basically it's the same process.

post #88 of 377 Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Do you not believe it because you know it's not possible or because you think it's impossible?
Knowing the technology, they way they did it was not possible.
  1. The FAT is on the inner tracks. The heads were on the outer tracks.
  2. The FAT would be split over the platters, so it would not be possible to recover the FAT from a single platter.
  3. Due to platter bit density back then, the FAT would also be spread over several tracks.
  4. She was spinning the platter way too slow AND her fingers were on the platter surface.
  5. There was nothing that I could see to indicate that the heads were directly over the track.
  6. Clean room - not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by
While not shown well what they did to recover the data was not "out of bounds" in my limited knowledge on the subject. As expressed, it's extremely time consuming and difficult to do, but it is possible. There are much more efficient ways of getting the data now, but basically it's the same process.
Obviously, due to limited time, they couldn't show everything. But, what they did show was not possible.

Oh, I have no clue as to how the platters were damaged as shown. A power surge would fry the drive's electronics, not the platter surfaces. It might have been as simple as swapping the drive's board. But that would have been too simple for the story line.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

Last edited by mrvideo; 06-25-2014 at 09:57 PM.
post #89 of 377 Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I am rapidly losing interest in this show. I come from a background of personal computer development and support, and was getting started in my career just about the time the first IBM PC was released. I honed my skills on a Compaq portable using Lotus 1-2-3 and a word processor called Samna Word. Nothing in the technical aspects of the show resonates with me, based on my experience. It almost seems laughable.

And the other shortcoming is that none of the characters, Donna being the exception, are very likable. I have no desire to see any of them succeed. Comparing this show to Mad Man is like comparing night to day.

Just my opinion, of course.

post #90 of 377 Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I recall an incident early in my career when the file allocation table on a very important disk became corrupted, making the disk unreadable. Using a low-level program that would allow reading and editing disk sectors, I painfully re-built the FAT to the point tat I was able to recover the critical data from the disk. The whole exercise was actually quite rewarding, kind of like "this computer isn't smarter than me".

However, how it was depicted in the program seemed a little preposterous. It points out one of the fallacies of the show. Having been through a similar experience, I can understand the excitement of a successful data recovery operation. But does the general public have any idea what is involved? I can't imagine their general interest level being sustained by these techie topics.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page