Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #1 of 377 Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Second time in under a week I've heard of a new series and no thread yet on AVS .. so, here you go ..

Halt and Catch Fire AMC HD June 1, 2014

AMC Link
http://www.amctv.com/shows/halt-and-catch-fire

Set in the early 1980s, series dramatizes the personal computing boom through the eyes of a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy whose innovations directly confront the corporate behemoths of the time. Their personal and professional partnership will be challenged by greed and ego while charting the changing culture in Texas' Silicon Prairie.

Promo

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 377 Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I wasn't planning to watch this one but a promo I caught on AMC has me interested.
post #3 of 377 Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can watch the first episode on AMCtv.com now.
post #4 of 377 Old 05-29-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
And OnDemand
post #5 of 377 Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

And OnDemand

It's not in HD on D* OnDemand. I guess I'll wait it out.
post #6 of 377 Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It didn't "Catch Fire" with me, but I will be back to see where it's going. Fun to think this is just 10 years after they installed that big IBM unit on Mad Men.
post #7 of 377 Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

It didn't "Catch Fire" with me, but I will be back to see where it's going. Fun to think this is just 10 years after they installed that big IBM unit on Mad Men.

It caught fire with me, LOL. I'm hooked for the immediate future anyway. Terribly boring for the first 20 minutes or so, but then it kicked in or I got interested, whichever. I enjoyed it.
post #8 of 377 Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
It was a lot better than I thought it would be, I'll be back for another episode to see if it stays "better".
post #9 of 377 Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A reasonably good start .. I'm sticking with it for now ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10 of 377 Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 80
AMC showing it again tonight 10PM Monday
post #11 of 377 Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Those are mostly encouraging reports. I recorded the first episode but have not yet found time to watch it. Will report after I have seen it.
post #12 of 377 Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 136

I never expected it to be good as what I saw. I'm sticking with it. Often I will give some leeway when judging a Summer show, when there's not as much good content to watch. With HACF I'd also watch it during the booming Fall and Spring periods.

post #13 of 377 Old 06-03-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I thought the first episode was just OK. As the credits started to roll, I wondered what the heck they'll do for the rest of the season, at which time they ran a "this season on Halt and Catch Fire" trailer. I came very close to deleting my DVR timer.
post #14 of 377 Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I liked this enough to see where it goes. Wasn't spectacular but wasn't horrible either. This will be a good summer show filler if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 377 Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Having lived thru that period of time makes it a fun watch. Sort of like The Americans. Being a recovering retired engineer probably helps. cool.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #16 of 377 Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I've watched the first episode twice and I always miss the reason why Cardiff is forced into building it's own PC. Can someone explain it?

Also, obviously, the charactors are what drive this show, but I wonder if the writers have limited the longevity of the series. Eventually, the Cardiff pc is going to succeed or fail. What happens then? The original tension won't be there anymore.
post #17 of 377 Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I've watched the first episode twice and I always miss the reason why Cardiff is forced into building it's own PC. Can someone explain it?
IMO- so they can claim independent but parallel development of the ripped off IBM BIOS for their own PC they had in the pipeline...
I'm assuming they'll be using "ideas" from the BIOS code- not wholesale "copy-n-paste" complete sections. When coding- there's always multiple ways to get things done- some less efficient than others- but in the end it does the same task, I/O function- so they use IBM's ideas, but in their own words as it were..

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #18 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Having lived thru that period of time makes it a fun watch.... Being a recovering retired engineer probably helps. cool.gif
It brought back memories for me too. I worked for Radio Shack in the late 80's just as they started launching their own very popular line of low cost (for that time!) PC's.... exciting times.
The PC world back then really was like the wild west- they all stole ideas/code from one another and the deepest pockets (IBM) did whatever they wanted.

I'm looking forward to the next episode...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #19 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I enjoyed it, as well. I hear it's roughly the story of Compaq which used a similar "clean room" ploy to reverse engineer their clone. Anyway, maybe it's just the subject matter, but I'm sticking with it for now.
post #20 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Having lived thru that period of time makes it a fun watch. Sort of like The Americans. Being a recovering retired engineer probably helps. cool.gif

In the early to mid 1980's. I worked in the financial field in Dallas .. PC's were becoming something of a rage and there were a few shops that sold off the shelf .. I paid something like $1200 (maybe more, I can't remember) for an IBM clone as they were called back then .. I can remember the Compaq "Lunch Box" which was one of the early "portables" .. really not much software back then .. a few games, LOTUS 123 .. etc

It's fun to watch the history unfold .. smile.gif

Uncle Willie

post #21 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The above mention of Radio Shack reminds me of their TRS-80. Often referred to lovingly as the "trash-80”. Oh for the good ol'days of DOS. wink.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #22 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I'm torn.

The show hasn't grabbed me yet, but it had just enough to get me to tune in next week.

I want to see less of office politics and more geek. Further, one issue I have (and with The Americans, as well) is the lack of real reminders of the era it takes place in. For the most part, it's only a few props and vehicles that make me say, "Oh, yeah, this is the 80's".

In The Americans, the last point they did anything outside of vehicles or props to give reference to the 80's was the line from the son about "Star Trek II" coming out that June. Prior to that, there was a scene where Martha was watching "Dallas".

I fear this show will feel the same way: despite the haircuts, it mostly doesn't seem to take place in any time, but occasionally someone will make reference to "The Safety Dance" to remind us of the date...
post #23 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

...one issue I have (and with The Americans, as well) is the lack of real reminders of the era it takes place in. For the most part, it's only a few props and vehicles that make me say, "Oh, yeah, this is the 80's".
In addition to the vehicles, the hairstyles and cloths seemed to be pretty period accurate, I guess with a movie size budget you'd get more authentic artifacts, but it's a TV production with limits.
When I saw the breadboard they were using to peek the contents of the BIOS I wondered about all the LED's they had there... they were still pretty expensive and uncommon in the early 80's... but that's a geek thing to be sure.

post #24 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

There will always be some type of "give" with TV shows. They just don't have the budget to make everything time period realistic. So instead it will be "capsules" which are easier to control. As far as the geek side of things while I enjoy it as much as some I know it alienates the gen pop. We'll see some of it, but I doubt at all they will get really geeky as business is much more "accessible" and relatable.

post #25 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The above mention of Radio Shack reminds me of their TRS-80. Often referred to lovingly as the "trash-80”. Oh for the good ol'days of DOS. wink.gif

My very 1st computer was a TRS-80. The instruction booklet that came with it had on it a computer monitor with a happy face and stick arms and legs. It was packed with 4k memory but no hard drive. I used a cassette tape player for that task. I taught myself Basic and had a blast with it.

I still write software for computers and still love it.

I did enjoy the 1st episode, but I don't think it will hold my interest for long. I hope I'm proven wrong.
post #26 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
My first was an Atari 400, couldn't afford the 800, wanted an Apple, but it was way out of my range. Go to the local bookstore and grab a copy of Analog magazine and type in pages of hex code and saved it to a cassette so you could play a silly little do nothing game, wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
post #27 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

In addition to the vehicles, the hairstyles and cloths seemed to be pretty period accurate, I guess with a movie size budget you'd get more authentic artifacts, but it's a TV production with limits.
When I saw the breadboard they were using to peek the contents of the BIOS I wondered about all the LED's they had there... they were still pretty expensive and uncommon in the early 80's... but that's a geek thing to be sure.
They may have been grain of wheat bulbs, not LEDs - or at least meant to represent them. Those were common in the eighties.

I have a huge box of grain of wheat bulbs from my early model railroading days that are pretty much useless now that LEDs are so dirt cheap.
post #28 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

There will always be some type of "give" with TV shows. They just don't have the budget to make everything time period realistic. So instead it will be "capsules" which are easier to control. As far as the geek side of things while I enjoy it as much as some I know it alienates the gen pop. We'll see some of it, but I doubt at all they will get really geeky as business is much more "accessible" and relatable.

I'm talking simple things like dialog.

It seems to lack any cultural references. They seldom make references to TV shows, music, games or anything else people often chatted about.

It just feels like the writers are all using "Any-Dialog" brand of scripting software that makes everything characters say as generic as possible, with a few key names thrown in once in a while to keep things on track.

Assuming either show makes it to 1984, I had better see a Delorean and a brick phone somewhere along with the occasional Fiero.

Plus, somebody on this show had better have something to say about the ET game or "Chase the Chuckwagon"...
post #29 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Really liked the first episode as well. I was an EE student in the late 70's early 80's. I remember my machine and assembly language class where we had to write a program to multiply two floating point numbers together. Took 240 lines of code, all 1's and 0's that had to be entered manually into an 8 bit "computer". No storage, so one wrong bit could put it into a loop and erase everything. I was one of only two in the class that got it to work.
That and the punch cards, where if you dropped them, it would take hours to get them back in the correct order. Had to write the program, go down to the lab to the punch card machine, then submit them for processing and pick up the report the next day.
More geek stuff!
post #30 of 377 Old 06-05-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I'm talking simple things like dialog.

It seems to lack any cultural references. They seldom make references to TV shows, music, games or anything else people often chatted about.

It just feels like the writers are all using "Any-Dialog" brand of scripting software that makes everything characters say as generic as possible, with a few key names thrown in once in a while to keep things on track.

Assuming either show makes it to 1984, I had better see a Delorean and a brick phone somewhere along with the occasional Fiero.

Plus, somebody on this show had better have something to say about the ET game or "Chase the Chuckwagon"...

Wouldn't they have to get Clearance for some of that? Not sure they could. It's one thing to mention it, but some rights holders are sticklers and would want to be paid I am sure. Delorean would be more nostalgia, I could see a Fiero being used here and there though. If you want the references I guess you should watch The Goldbergs wink.gif

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page