Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 72 Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Saw a promo clip last night, did a search on AVS, turned up nothing, so here you go

“Tyrant,” from Howard Gordon (“24″/”Homeland”), tells the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. It is set for Tuesday nights at 10, starting June 24.

John Landgraf, CEO, FX Networks and FX Productions.

"With Tyrant, Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff and Craig Wright have produced a beautiful television pilot that will be a groundbreaking television series," said Landgraf. "Tyrant introduces characters and a world that have never been explored in a dramatic television series format. There is a reason a bidding war broke out over this project: it grabs you as all great epics do and simply refuses to let go!"

Tyrant tells the story of an unassuming American family drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle Eastern nation. Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed, the younger son of the dictator of a war-torn nation, ends a self-imposed 20-year exile to return to his homeland, accompanied by his American wife and children, for his nephew’s wedding. Barry’s reluctant homecoming leads to a dramatic clash of cultures as he is thrown back into the familial and national politics of his youth.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I predict it starts off great, then sinks into implausibility. But I'm interested.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #3 of 72 Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 178
It's on FX and sounds interesting, I'm going to try it. Haven't been disappointed by much of anything on this channel so far.
Keenan likes this.
post #4 of 72 Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It's on FX and sounds interesting, I'm going to try it. Haven't been disappointed by much of anything on this channel so far.

FX has developed quite a stable of shows over the last few years .. although I'm not into each and every one, they do seem to keep swinging at being a real alternative to the old networks ..

This show definitely looks to me like it deserves a shot ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 72 Old 06-24-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bump for Premier Episode Tonight ..

Uncle Willie

post #6 of 72 Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Start off great is an understatement. It was amazing, a little predictable for a couple of things. But man, there are some messed up dudes on this show, lets see if it can stay going strong.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #7 of 72 Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Interesting to here this. Show was panned on a podcast I listen to and they said it doesn't get better. Gives me a slight ray of hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 72 Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
didn't like it at all.
will record 1-2 weeks more to give it more chance than just a pilot, but

predictable events
predictable characters
propagandist tone
fear of offense
weak in sum.
gwsat likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #9 of 72 Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
The show has a fascinating premise but a lack of compelling characters. The lead Barry is a cold fish, and his wife is an annoying idiot who can't take a damn hint about anything. The gay son who thinks it's a great idea to go to an Islamic country and flirt with another boy in a steam room is also very contrived for soap opera melodrama.

I will follow for a few episodes to see where it goes, but I'm a little disappointed so far.
gwsat likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 72 Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
When I originally read about Tyrant I decided to pass on the show. But after reading this thread, I have changed my mind and will at least start it.
post #11 of 72 Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
When I originally read about Tyrant I decided to pass on the show. But after reading this thread, I have changed my mind and will at least start it.
I almost did the same after reading Maureen Ryan's negative pre-airing review. But I did decide to watch it and I'm glad I did. While a bit over the top it provides a nice, somewhat exotic, diversion from the usual fare.
post #12 of 72 Old 06-29-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So why did he decide to take the family to the wedding?

He left the country at 16 and hasn't been back since he grew up, raised a family with two teen children. That's a long time.

Why choose to go back? Especially as the flashbacks make clear, it's not his psycho brother and despot father he fears but himself.

The show has been compared to Godfather, with Barry to Michael Corleone. Idea is that both sons are alienated from the family business but they get inexorably sucked right into it. What makes a pediatrician from SoCal want to risk being pulled into the madness of the Middle East?
post #13 of 72 Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So why did he decide to take the family to the wedding?

He left the country at 16 and hasn't been back since he grew up, raised a family with two teen children. That's a long time.

Why choose to go back? Especially as the flashbacks make clear, it's not his psycho brother and despot father he fears but himself.

The show has been compared to Godfather, with Barry to Michael Corleone. Idea is that both sons are alienated from the family business but they get inexorably sucked right into it. What makes a pediatrician from SoCal want to risk being pulled into the madness of the Middle East?
His annoying dimwit wife badgered him into going because she thought it would be a fun vacation for the family.

Josh Z

post #14 of 72 Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I knew The Godfather and Tyrant is no The Godfather. The pilot was exciting enough to make me decide to stick with it for a few more episodes but I have seldom if ever seen anything more contrived or unconvincing.
post #15 of 72 Old 06-30-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
His annoying dimwit wife badgered him into going because she thought it would be a fun vacation for the family.
I don't recall that.

The show opens with him jogging, taking a call from a patient, explaining he'll be taking time off. So the decision is already made at that point.
post #16 of 72 Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
He decided to go to the wedding because it is in the script.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #17 of 72 Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't recall that.

The show opens with him jogging, taking a call from a patient, explaining he'll be taking time off. So the decision is already made at that point.
His wife badgered him about it for months beforehand. He told her at least a dozen times at the beginning of the episode that he didn't want to go, but she kept insisting, "No no no, it'll be great. And you'll get to make up with your dad!" She'd been at it for a long time before the pilot episode begins.

Josh Z

post #18 of 72 Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah I missed that convo.

It's his fault for not talking about his childhood, after 19 years of marriage and 2 children. They must have something in store as the 20th anniversary approaches.
post #19 of 72 Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I had low expectations for the show due to a podcast I listen to. The podcast was right, but it was not as bad as I was expecting. Since they partially said how the show moves ahead (no plot) I can see why it does so. This isn't as bad Last Ship, so I'll stick with it. I really wish they had used someone of middle eastern descent for the lead however.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #20 of 72 Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I'm watching mostly due to its lineage. "Tyrant" is created by Gideon Raff, who is also responsible for the very good "Homeland" and the simply outstanding Israeli series "Prisoners of War(Hatufim)". "Homeland" was based/derived from the Israeli original. "Tyrant" is filmed entirely in Israel and is supposedly loosely based on the story of how Syria's Bashar al-Assad goes from being an eye doctor to a murderous dictator.
post #21 of 72 Old 07-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
after two episodes i'm hanging on....if only by a thread
post #22 of 72 Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

It's by a thread for me as well. I may keep it just for filler.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #23 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Interesting that Tyrant hasn't caught the imagination of this forum.

I think it's very high quality stuff, a worthy member of the new golden age of television that we're enjoying. Maybe the setting and principals - the heads of government in an Islamic dictatorship - are so foreign to us that nobody can wrap their heads around it. But the plotting and dialog are excellent so far. Low on cliches. Absolutely fascinating brothers. Psychologically complex. Give this a chance. I have high hopes for it. (But who knows if it will get ratings.)
post #24 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if they've made the case that Barry would stay after staying away for so long.

He tries to guide the brother towards democratic decisions and the rule of law.

When does he become the tyrant?
post #25 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post
I think it's very high quality stuff, a worthy member of the new golden age of television that we're enjoying...Give this a chance. I have high hopes for it. (But who knows if it will get ratings.)
Agreed!

it's very good drama & interesting characters. the internal struggle to stay or go back to the US, the issues with what he knows is wrong with his brother and the regime.

what's going to be interesting is if the brother is the "tyrant" or he'll become the "tyrant" because his brother gets killed or has to step down. I think with the scenes when they're kids where he shows himself more willing to kill someone in cold blood, may suggest he's the real tyrant, fighting his own demons.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.
post #26 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
I don't know if they've made the case that Barry would stay after staying away for so long.

He tries to guide the brother towards democratic decisions and the rule of law.

When does he become the tyrant?
exactly! he's trying to do the right thing but I in the end, it's very possible the culture & his family's regime could just win out over his principles, wear him down so that he eventually accepts them.

or it could be a clever play on words by the show's writers

Steve
post #27 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post
I think it's very high quality stuff, a worthy member of the new golden age of television that we're enjoying. Maybe the setting and principals - the heads of government in an Islamic dictatorship - are so foreign to us that nobody can wrap their heads around it. But the plotting and dialog are excellent so far. Low on cliches. Absolutely fascinating brothers. Psychologically complex. Give this a chance. I have high hopes for it. (But who knows if it will get ratings.)
I'd have to agree .. it seems this one may be a starter on low burn that just continues to build ..

Uncle Willie

post #28 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When I posted after the pilot I said I would stick around for a while. I changed my mind though and deleted my season pass. I will continue to check in here to see if I end up hating myself for bailing out early.
post #29 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
what's going to be interesting is if the brother is the "tyrant" or he'll become the "tyrant" because his brother gets killed or has to step down. I think with the scenes when they're kids where he shows himself more willing to kill someone in cold blood, may suggest he's the real tyrant, fighting his own demons.
Yes, that was a fascinating scene. My take on it was that he was protecting his brother, who wasn't yet tough enough to do the killing. (Didn't he say something like, "Leave him alone" after shooting the guy?) But it also showed that he was capable of that kind of violence, and maybe that knowledge was part of what led him to leave the country and go to America and become a compassionate pediatrician.

And so while Bassam was in the US, the weak older brother Jamaal turned into a sadistic monster. Bassam may feel guilty for not being around to help him stay sane.

So the psychology is fascinating and I agree that if the show lasts long enough to play out it may be that Bassam/Barry becomes the ruler eventually, and if so, does he go down the same road as his father and brother. I think it's an audacious premise for a drama and hope it succeeds in the ratings well enough to stick around for a while.
post #30 of 72 Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I guess they didn't read the UtDome thread on the proper way to hang someone so it snaps their neck.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page