Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2014 on HBO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 05-31-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 133
The 29th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will premiere on May 31 at 8pm. Inductees include: Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, KISS, Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens.

It's on right now and looks like a good show. Nice Dolby D sound through Charter!

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comcast's sound is nice too. Linda Ronstadt is being honored as I post this. Pretty good performances of her songs.

post #3 of 26 Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Dish had excellent sound as well....

Bobby 

post #4 of 26 Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
good stuff

forgot how many great songs cat stevens wrote

I guess linda ronstadt is pretty ill

neflixis our nemesis
post #5 of 26 Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

good stuff

forgot how many great songs cat stevens wrote

I guess linda ronstadt is pretty ill

Yes, unfortunately she has Parkinson's which has left her unable to sing. The ladies did a great job singing her songs. i was especially impressed at how strong Cheryl Crow's voice was. And Bonnie Raitt's voice is just sultry blues all the way. Great set.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I was also impressed with Hall and Oates as well as the Nirvana presentation. Very special indeed.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

And about Cat Stevens... Okay, he's pretty good, but to have him in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before Yes is ridiculous. Someone needs to champion Yes the way Tom Morello championed KISS.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I thought the first part of the show had a very thin sound mix with Paul Shaffa's Band. [Is his Bass player annoying enough??] Checked Cox and D, both thin. Things improved with Hall and Oates. Best part for me was Nirvana. Nothing like Big Amps cranked, and so was my Amp...All of the girls did a great job singing Kurt's songs as did Pat Smear putting down the his solo's. After his stellar performance on the Beatles special how great was Dave Grohl on Drums...[Bonzo would have been proud]...
post #9 of 26 Old 06-02-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

Yes, unfortunately she has Parkinson's which has left her unable to sing. The ladies did a great job singing her songs. i was especially impressed at how strong Cheryl Crow's voice was. And Bonnie Raitt's voice is just sultry blues all the way. Great set.
That is unfortunate about Linda. I have tickets to see Sheryl Crow in concert a week from Friday and am pumped about that especially after hearing her sing the other night.

post #10 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

And about Cat Stevens... Okay, he's pretty good, but to have him in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before Yes is ridiculous. Someone needs to champion Yes the way Tom Morello championed KISS.
Cat Stevens? What about ABBA getting in before any of this years noms or just getting in period. Not to specifically knock them but they are hardly rock and roll IMHO of course. Agree Yes should have been in a long time ago.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Cat Stevens? What about ABBA getting in before any of this years noms or just getting in period. Not to specifically knock them but they are hardly rock and roll IMHO of course. Agree Yes should have been in a long time ago.

Forgot abut ABBA. I guess that was based on gross income.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

That is unfortunate about Linda. I have tickets to see Sheryl Crow in concert a week from Friday and am pumped about that especially after hearing her sing the other night.

Sheryl looked as awesome as she sang as well! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

There are many who are angry about Cat Stevens even getting in period due to his fundamentalist religious conversion. I noticed he was careful with his words, and his singing was quite good.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

There are many who are angry about Cat Stevens even getting in period due to his fundamentalist religious conversion. I noticed he was careful with his words, and his singing was quite good.
I thought Stevens acceptance speech was well thought out. He tastefully acknowledged his belief in a higher power, did not belabor it, nor did he use the opportunity as a bully pulpit for a specific religious agenda. I frankly don't understand why anybody would object to his nomination to the HoF based on his religious beliefs but maybe that's just me. I certainly don't understand the HoF's method of choosing who they do when, as it appears pretty random to me.

I certainly think he deserves to be in the RRHoF. His history as a recording artist stands on its own and I agree that based on his performance that night, he's still got game.
bobby94928 and mscottc like this.

post #14 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Not all Muslims are fundamentalists, just like not all Christians are fundamentalists.
mscottc likes this.

Bobby 

post #15 of 26 Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is definitely not a place where one's character is judged or 2/3 of the entrants would be disqualified for one reason or another. Cat Stevens' work as an artist definitely qualifies him for the honor. I have no idea of his current beliefs but I am of the impression that he is somewhat embarrassed about his earlier hardline stands even if he thought he was just being professorial about them. That said, I don't care about his religious stance. I grew up loving his songs which have very universal and peaceful messages. That's good enough for me.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #16 of 26 Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I thought Stevens acceptance speech was well thought out. He tastefully acknowledged his belief in a higher power, did not belabor it, nor did he use the opportunity as a bully pulpit for a specific religious agenda. I frankly don't understand why anybody would object to his nomination to the HoF based on his religious beliefs but maybe that's just me. I certainly don't understand the HoF's method of choosing who they do when, as it appears pretty random to me.

I certainly think he deserves to be in the RRHoF. His history as a recording artist stands on its own and I agree that based on his performance that night, he's still got game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Not all Muslims are fundamentalists, just like not all Christians are fundamentalists.

Understood. he just happened to make disturbing comments about Salman Rushdie on more than one occasion. He later said he was only joking. Taking about killing someone doesn't seem to be a joking matter though.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Understood. he just happened to make disturbing comments about Salman Rushdie on more than one occasion. He later said he was only joking. Taking about killing someone doesn't seem to be a joking matter though.

IIRC, he later said that he was just explaining the doctrines although I've seen video of him making the comments and I don't think he was being honest or he is just fooling himself about that. I do believe he has been much more contrite about it now and realizes he made a stupid mistake.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #18 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

anyway, no matter what, there are other musicians who deserved to be in the hall before him. that's all i was saying. i was looking at the music, not all the other political nonsense.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

anyway, no matter what, there are other musicians who deserved to be in the hall before him. that's all i was saying. i was looking at the music, not all the other political nonsense.
PERFORMERS
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 600 artists, historians and members of the music industry. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Beginning in 2012, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened Nominee voting to fans around the world. The Top Five Nominees as voted by the fans count for one ballot entry, which is weighted the same as individual ballot entries submitted by members of the international voting body.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but that is the process as outlined on their site. Obviously it remains a popularity contest of sorts and that is why it appears as random as it does. As far as who deserves to be inducted next, once the 25 year criterion is met I would submit that who deserves to be next is highly subjective.

post #20 of 26 Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HBO did a great job this year. I wasn't too thrilled with Hall and Oates and KISS, but every band had songs that were very listenable and conducive to a show like this. I still don't understand why it should take ,more than a month to release it. It lost some of the luster by delaying it that long. Their best work was editing down the ridiculously long E Street segment. My comments
1) E Street killing the pacing of the show: R&R HOF created this mess by sticking with a stupid technicalty not to induct them with Springsteen more than a decade ago. I am a huge fan of Springsteen and E Street. Having said that, I am disappointed that these guys were so obtuse to how they hijacked the show when many Nirvana fans were waiting for the marquee part of the ceremony to unfold. They should have lined up, limited themselves to a minute each and ended their acceptance in 10 min flat. Scialfa herself should have just thanked her kids for a second and stepped off considering she is the most useless member in the history of the E Street lineup. Also they should have skipped the River as Bruce already had his moment many times before on this show. E Street Shuffle and Kittys Back were plenty to showcase the old and new E Street members. Thankfully, HBO showed less than half of their hour plus long hijacking of the ceremony. I did like Bruce's intro speech, especially how he admitted his selfishness and not so great times in the band.
2) Peter Gabriel; No brainer. He was one of the best artists of the 80s and I prefer his solo work to his experimental Genesis stuff. I thought I was tired of IN Your Eyes, but the song still sounded damn good. His voice in better form than Hall's voice later in the show. Not too jazzed by the song choice for the Martin -Gabriel collaboration.
3) The ladies in the Linda R tribute: Carrie Underwood surprised me at how good she was on Different Drum. Sheryl Crow is too bland for me in general. But she performed very well on a technical level and loved the high note she hit when singing backup to Nicks on It's So Easy. Loved seeing Raiit and Emmylou. One of the most enjoyable set of songs to showcase an artist on this show. Even though I am sick of seeing Shaffer's penishead bob around hyperactively on these shows over the years, he seemed a little more restrained and down to work on this show. So credit for his houseband on this set.
4) KISS: THis is the people's choice and I cant complain even if I don't think their songs are that good. One good thing about their spat, I didn't have to hear that godawful Beth song by Peter Criss. I probably like 3 or 4 of their songs, that's it. My favorite one of theirs is Ace's solo effort on NY Groove and it is just a cover. A case of style over substance. But at least, we got an awesome intro by Tom Morello which jazzed up the broadcast.
5) Hall and Oates: I am not a fan even if I enjoy a couple of their poppy songs like Out of Touch and Make my Dreams come true. Good to see Oates actually does something in the band. I used to think he was the Andrew Ridfley of this band. So with Oates showing some talent, I guess Andrew Ridgley is in a league of his own as far as most useless member of a famous duo(WHAM). How does this band get over Cheap Trick or Cars or Joan Jett? Cars had just as many hits as Hall and Oates and are more rock oriented. Oh, Hall, maybe you have too big of a chip on your shoulder. Come on Chubby Checker in the hall??? For what? a novelty song that wasn't even his?>
6) NIRVANA: Pretty much the marquee induction. Thanks E Street for really making people wait so long for this group to get its due. How good did Kim GOrdon look in that skirt even if her face looks like a female version of Iggy Pop. I loved Gordon's song the best because she captured the fury of Nirvana. Annie Clarke sounded good, but she seemed dressed to attend a Missing Persons tribute. She just does not convey that vibe for a Nirvana song.

No jam at the end , thanks to E Street hogging the ceremony.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Nice review mantar. I would hazard Hall and Oates had more hits than the Cars, but that's a quibble. I wasn't a big fan of H+O either, but know some passionate ones, and kinda go along with them going in. Liked Oates' comment: "I'm the most under rated and over paid background singer in history."

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #22 of 26 Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 AM

lonwolf615, I agree that H&O have some fans and this is not a science anyway. So no big deal that they got in. Everyone has different tastes and I watch this show mainly for the entertainment factor than worry about who "deserves" to go in as a rock n roller. This is mainly Wenner's ego trip project anyway.
THis year, I think I saw even more faceless music execs in the main tables than actual musicians.

By the way, it was fun to see E Street- the next generation (Jake Clemons and Federici's son) bop along to Kim Gordon's Nirvana performance.
Another fun visual was seeing Bill Murray sing along to I've Been Cheated in the audience. Anyone notice former E Streeeter David Sancious highlighted by Gabriel on the IN Your Eyes set.

As far as Cat Stevens, he did mess up 20 years ago even if he doesn't fully admit it(there is a youtube clip where he pretty much goes beyond reciting what the mere holy book says). Having said that, you see Polanski, Woody Allen, Phil Spector get feted at these kind of shows. So this is no big deal to me. And he was in fine form for all of his songs. He seemed to have fun during his performances of his excellent songs.

Just one question for those out there. I know most of the musicians were part of Paul schaffer's band. Who was the older guitarist with the stringy long gray hair and glasses. he looks so familiar but I don't think he is part of the Letterman show.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

Just one question for those out there. I know most of the musicians were part of Paul schaffer's band. Who was the older guitarist with the stringy long gray hair and glasses. he looks so familiar but I don't think he is part of the Letterman show.

That was Waddy Wachtel. He was a session and touring guitarist for many acst including Linda Rondstadt.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
As an old guy I found it jarring a little that Nils got in this way. Not as a solo artist with a couple of great records, not as someone who played with Neil Young for years, or his work with Crazy Horse. (Beggars Day was a fave of mine back in the day). Nope, he's in for being the replacement guitarist for Bruce's band. smile.gif Good to see him in but I hope there is at least a mention of his other work in the HoF exhibit.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #25 of 26 Old 06-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evader45 View Post

That was Waddy Wachtel. He was a session and touring guitarist for many acst including Linda Rondstadt.
Thanks. now I remember him. Dude is always a pro.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I thought Joan Jett's performance with Nirvana was absolutely killer.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page