Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
Nonsense.
no understanding of basic human psychology i see

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think the USA team is under-rated. They've clearly become an opponent you don't want to face. Ever since they got over the 40-year drought that kept them out of the WC, they've been actually pretty good - advancing out of the group stage 4 out of the last 6 cups (1994, 2002 (quarterfinals), 2010, 2014) and giving the other team they lost to one very difficult time (many thought they would have an easy time against the USA, but found out otherwise).

They have a ways to go to be able to win it all, but Klinsmann is on the right track.
post #93 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
no understanding of basic human psychology i see
Wow! You seem to be an idiot. Is your native tongue other than English?
post #94 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I think the USA team is under-rated. They've clearly become an opponent you don't want to face. Ever since they got over the 40-year drought that kept them out of the WC, they've been actually pretty good - advancing out of the group stage 4 out of the last 6 cups (1994, 2002 (quarterfinals), 2010, 2014) and giving the other team they lost to one very difficult time (many thought they would have an easy time against the USA, but found out otherwise).

They have a ways to go to be able to win it all, but Klinsmann is on the right track.
oK, I know I am gonna get run over by the replies but klinsman is not on the right track

he did a good job by winning entry to the world cup in a soft region but he and US soccer are on the wrong road in trying to isolate american soccer players from their towns and schools.

the US has the 3rd biggest population in the world and we are not a top 10 team in the world so depending on expectations the US is still underachieving.

IMHO, the biggest problem the USA has in soccer is that our best athletes do not choose it. The reason they don't is because it's perceived as a foreign sport. US Soccer is doing nothing to address this perception. If anything, they are making it worse.

Look at the difference in perception from the girls side to the men's.

This is soccer biggest obstacle.

go ahead now, repeat the party line that has not advanced the sport. I know it's coming.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #95 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
Wow! You seem to be an idiot. Is your native tongue other than English?
actually i test a genius but that comes from insightful perceptions not accrued knowledge

i don't think much of academia either and how we ration and award the duplication of existing knowledge

you can call me another name for that too while you are at it

post #96 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Could be, eljr. Could be. Yes, I know, my favorite pundit, Keith Olbermann, has said it's 'the sport of the future'. Since 1987.

How would the reaction be if and when the US does win the World Cup? A change of heart, or more of the same?
post #97 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
Nice to see the announcers call out the production when they spent a lot of time showing the statue in the sunset rather then the live game.

I hate when the producers think they can show the game like a "normal" American sport which has lots of inaction. I was almost screaming when near the end of the game they showed endless shots of the fans reaction to the goal. Hello! the game is going on.

When the ball is in play:
We don't need to see the coaches
We don't need to see the fans
We don't need to see the fans doing the wave
We don't need to see 6 replays, including slow motion, of a play which didn't result in anything
We don't need to see a player or coaches head talking in slow motion
We don't need to see the player who was just involved in the failed play walking down the field
We don't need to see the surrounding city
We still don't need to see the fans
We don't need to see the guy holding up the stoppage time sign

That stuff is marginally okay to waste time in baseball and football telecasts where there is much more non action then action.
Sadly, this is the FIFA feed, so the complaints will be against them, because they can't even show a fan that escape to the field of play, not because it was dangerous or he/she be naked, but because it could carry a non-sponsored brand in a shirt or banner!

BTW what awful job the stewards where doing, I think 3-4 matches they let someone on the stands get to the field.

Judging by the distance they were separated, plus they should be looking 100% at the crowd I don't know how they let anyone through!

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #98 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
This wc had the best group stage I can remember. The final is anti climatic by comparison. Germany was the best team and deservedly won. Unfortunately, it'll be most remembered for Brasil's incredible meltdown.

I don't have a problem with the Brit announcers. I love all their drollness and dry humor. But then, I like soccer so I'm atypical American.

Does it contribute to the perception that soccer is foreign? Guess what, it IS foreign.

Soccer will never, ever, ever, ever catch on in the US. Let me count the ways

1/ low scoring. To the uninitiated, a lot of times, it does not look like there is anything happening at all. You don't watch it for the goals, but for the strategy, the individual skills, the passing, maneuvering. It's a game of creating chances and near misses. You know why it's called the beautiful game? Because if it is not beautiful, it probably does not go in. Tough game.

2/ the field is big, the players look small and indistinguishable. In baseball, the players are identified by their position. In football, by their position and size. In basketball, by position, size, and because you are close enough, their faces. In soccer, you have to be very familiar. There's a reason soccer stars play with their hair style -- so they can stand out. Soccer is more of a team sport than any of the 3 major sports. Goes against American individualism.

3/ not made for American tv. There is no time out. Where do you put the commercials.

4/ not invented here. Don't underestimate American chauvinism.

5/ the fuzzy timekeeping drives American legalistic mindset crazy. Look at the ridiculous use of the measuring chain in football. As if you're not just eyeballing where to spot the ball anyway. But no, you gotta bring out the chain. Call it precision theater.

(Soccer haters love to cite flopping but I won't do that here. It's actually something fixable. Anyway, there's plenty of flopping and acting in basketball too. Look at how guys flail their arms when they get hit. The difference is there are three refs in BB who all call fouls and they are standing a few feet away, vs only one with soccer and he can be 20, 30 yards away so you have to do a lot of "emoting" to get his attention.)

True, soccer is popular with some segments of the population. Yeah, and the metric system is popular with scientists and drug dealers. Good luck with that. The same people who hate listening to British announcers will cry bloody murder if the US tries to ditch the imperial system. Imperial as in the freaking British Empire.

We may by fluke produce a transcendent soccer player. That will create a surge of broad interest in soccer similar to what Tiger did for golf. Then things will settle back to baseline.

Soccer in the US has been a game played by predominantly white, middle class kids to bolster their self esteem and watched largely by less affluent immigrants. Not exactly a recipe for success. This is changing slowly, but I don't see soccer catching up to football or basketball. People think the growing Asian and Hispanic population will change this, but guess what. Immigrants assimilate and second and third gen immigrants just watch football like everyone else.

Soccer will always be the sport of the future, something Americans pay attention to every four years, time zone difference permitting. But as long as there is enough interest so that I can catch some euro league stuff and the wc on tv, I'm ok with that.
bobby94928 and acebreathe like this.

Last edited by barth2k; 07-14-2014 at 05:05 PM.
post #99 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I would love to see Canada @ the 2018, or the 2022 World Cup.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 113 Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
This wc had the best group stage I can remember. The final is anti climatic by comparison. Germany was the best team and deservedly won. Unfortunately, it'll be most remembered for Brasil's incredible meltdown.

I don't have a problem with the Brit announcers. I love all their drollness and dry humor. But then, I like soccer so I'm atypical American.

Does it contribute to the perception that soccer is foreign? Guess what, it IS foreign.

Soccer will never, ever, ever, ever catch on in the US. Let me count the ways

1/ low scoring. To the uninitiated, a lot of times, it does not look like there is anything happening at all. You don't watch it for the goals, but for the strategy, the individual skills, the passing, maneuvering. It's a game of creating chances and near misses. You know why it's called the beautiful game? Because if it is not beautiful, it probably does not go in. Tough game.

2/ the field is big, the players look small and indistinguishable. In baseball, the players are identified by their position. In football, by their position and size. In basketball, by position, size, and because you are close enough, their faces. In soccer, you have to be very familiar. There's a reason soccer stars play with their hair style -- so they can stand out. Soccer is more of a team sport than any of the 3 major sports. Goes against American individualism.

3/ not made for American tv. There is no time out. Where do you put the commercials.

4/ not invented here. Don't underestimate American chauvinism.

5/ the fuzzy timekeeping drives American legalistic mindset crazy. Look at the ridiculous use of the measuring chain in football. As if you're not just eyeballing where to spot the ball anyway. But no, you gotta bring out the chain. Call it precision theater.

(Soccer haters love to cite flopping but I won't do that here. It's actually something fixable. Anyway, there's plenty of flopping and acting in basketball too. Look at how guys flail their arms when they get hit. The difference is there are three refs in BB who all call fouls and they are standing a few feet away, vs only one with soccer and he can be 20, 30 yards away so you have to do a lot of "emoting" to get his attention.)

True, soccer is popular with some segments of the population. Yeah, and the metric system is popular with scientists and drug dealers. Good luck with that. The same people who hate listening to British announcers will cry bloody murder if the US tries to ditch the imperial system. Imperial as in the freaking British Empire.

We may by fluke produce a transcendent soccer player. That will create a surge of broad interest in soccer similar to what Tiger did for golf. Then things will settle back to baseline.

Soccer in the US has been a game played by predominantly white, middle class kids to bolster their self esteem and watched largely by less affluent immigrants. Not exactly a recipe for success. This is changing slowly, but I don't see soccer catching up to football or basketball. People think the growing Asian and Hispanic population will change this, but guess what. Immigrants assimilate and second and third gen immigrants just watch football like everyone else.

Soccer will always be the sport of the future, something Americans pay attention to every four years, time zone difference permitting. But as long as there is enough interest so that I can catch some euro league stuff and the wc on tv, I'm ok with that.
you do know that on the women's side of things soccer is arguably the lead american sport

post #101 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad that you mentioned golf, is one of the sports I fall asleep watching it, on the Tiger golden years, sure I did watch it, but I stopped watching for a while now.

Sure the US needs that individual talent that could put some interest in the sport, a lot of people were praising Tim Howard but this his last World Cup. Yeah 4 years is a long time to wait, you will be forgetting this WC very soon and not seeing this team in action in a long time.

post #102 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
you do know that on the women's side of things soccer is arguably the lead american sport
Because we excel at it, thanks in large part to Title 9, and the fact that many other countries seem to have a disdain for women's soccer.
eljr likes this.
post #103 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Because we excel at it, thanks in large part to Title 9, and the fact that many other countries seem to have a disdain for women's soccer.
and we excel at it because out best athletes play it

our best athletes play it because it does not have that foreign sport stigma the men's side has

post #104 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Glad that you mentioned golf, is one of the sports I fall asleep watching it, on the Tiger golden years, sure I did watch it, but I stopped watching for a while now.

Sure the US needs that individual talent that could put some interest in the sport, a lot of people were praising Tim Howard but this his last World Cup. Yeah 4 years is a long time to wait, you will be forgetting this WC very soon and not seeing this team in action in a long time.
Luckily we don't have to wait 4 years to see the US Men's team play again. Their next major competition is next year:

The CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Then in 2016 there is the Copa América Centenario . A special one off tournament that will include major south, central and north American countries. It will be hosted in the USA, and surely televised by ESPN. Also, the U-23 team plays that year in the Olympics.

Oh and the women's world cup is next year. And they just might be more popular than the men's team.

Last edited by lobosrul; 07-16-2014 at 07:55 AM.
post #105 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
And, don't forget the 2016 Olympics, where both men and women's teams play...

Bobby 

post #106 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah those are tournaments but not as important, Copa America is going to be interesting, I wonder if Neymar, Messi, Suarez (doubt it) will be playing that one.

post #107 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
In the Olympics, each men's (but not women's) team is only allowed 3 players over the age of 23. So it is, mostly, a different team.
post #108 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
qualifying matches start this year

post #109 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
In the Olympics, each men's (but not women's) team is only allowed 3 players over the age of 23. So it is, mostly, a different team.
True that, but it gives us a chance to see the stars of the future....

Bobby 

post #110 of 113 Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
and surely televised by ESPN.
Fox was granted an exclusive negotiating window by CONCACAF for the Copa América Centenario rights because they have the rights to the 2015 Gold Cup. They don't have a deal yet, but all insiders apparently expect them to reach one. Univision was also granted a window for the Spanish language rights and they reached a deal fairly quickly.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #111 of 113 Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

World Cup 2018 and 2022 bid was won by Telemundo, I wonder if NBC will air the English language part?

post #112 of 113 Old 07-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
World Cup 2018 and 2022 bid was won by Telemundo, I wonder if NBC will air the English language part?
Fox has the English language rights to the World Cup in '18 and '22...they beat out ESPN...likely Fox will do a similar deal as ESPN did with most games on cable via Fox Sports 1 with some weekend and the Championship on your local Fox station.
post #113 of 113 Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post
Fox has the English language rights to the World Cup in '18 and '22...they beat out ESPN...likely Fox will do a similar deal as ESPN did with most games on cable via Fox Sports 1 with some weekend and the Championship on your local Fox station.
Blech. I find FS1's video quality to be inferior to both ESPN and NBSCN on Dish. Broadcast Fox is better than my local ABC though. Also, that means no Ian Darke and Macca in the booth.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page