AVS Forum banner

Dominion - SyFy Channel

9K views 174 replies 31 participants last post by  replayrob 
#1 · (Edited)
Dominion on SyFy

Series premier of Dominion on the SyFy Channel was is tomorrow today, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 9pm/8c.

This is the link to the SyFy page on Dominion: http://www.syfy.com/dominion.

From the SyFy page:
Dominion is an epic supernatural drama set in the near future. Specifically, 25 years after "The Extinction War," when an army of lower angels, assembled by the archangel Gabriel, waged war against mankind. The archangel Michael, turning against his own kind, chose to side with humanity. Rising out of the ashes of this long battle are newly fortified cities which protect human survivors. At the center of the series is the city of Vega, a glistening empire that has formed from the ruins of what was once Las Vegas.

So far the critics have been less than favorable about the pilot (e.g., The Hollywood Reporter). However, sometimes I find my tastes at variance with the critics so I'll record the pilot and watch it to form my own opinion. Besides, the HD DVR can erase recordings pretty quickly. :p

#5 ·
Yeah, I read that somewhere. This is essentially a sequel series to Legion. I never saw that movie, even though I noticed it playing on the premium cable channels quite a bit. The premise seemed a bit cheesy, so I didn't feel compelled to watch it. I'll probably catch the premiere and make a decision then.

I don't know if this series has been promoted any more than any other new show. The only ads I've seen for it have been on Syfy paired with the second season of 'Defiance', which makes some sense as Syfy is airing them back-to-back.

#12 ·
I haven't seen the movie but sounds like a Diablo III game based series (lots of angels stuff in that one)

#25 ·
Dominion - pilot

I'm in. Had to watch the pilot twice though to get everything down. Loved Legion - hope this lives up to it.:)

#31 · (Edited)
There will be more opportunities to catch the pilot today, Sunday and Monday. Syfy Channel schedule. (Warning, video in upper-right corner of every schedule page on Syfy automatically plays unless you block it.)

One thing that can be said about Syfy: if they have a pilot of a new show, they tend to repeat it often.

#33 ·
Watched this tonight and enjoyed it. I dig stuff like this. Didn't know it was based off the Legion movie. Cool. Looking forward to more.

#43 ·
Watched last night.... better than I thought it would be.
Of course many pilot episodes are better than the regular season episodes, but I liked it enough to watch a few more episodes...
... and at least it's not another cop show, so it gets some points right there!

#46 ·
I watched the whole pilot to give it a fair shot but I'm out. Things I had issues with:
1. The huge wall was kind of a waste when angels can just fly over it.
2. The Chosen One being a rebel type thing has been done to death.
3. The tattoos just have plot contrivance written all over them. Tattoos that transfer from person to person? And that have a running dialogue with the person and dispense helpful advice? I know I have to suspend disbelief but this show asks too much.
4. Love triangle is forced at best.

Fortunately this makes it easier for me to try out being a cord cutter and suspend my DirecTV service after Continuum and the World Cup are over.

#49 ·
I'm looking at all the shows I've got set to record and came to the decision last night to ditch Dominion. There's just too many new genre, drama & SF oriented shows started up or launching soon to waste time on this. It's by far the weakest of the bunch vying for my time and I didn't think the pilot was very good or a compelling story, even for supernatural genre. I thought it was pretty hokey, sorry.

If there was far fewer shows of interest, I'd watch it but that's not the case for me.

It's gone.

I am looking forward to this season of Haven. I do like Haven :)

#55 ·
A nice cheeky surprise tonight.;)

There must have been a commercial break every 3 minutes. Guess they were trying to make up for the limited commercials in the pilot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.