post #271 of 356 Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I don't think we'll see you back here BB this is not and I don't think ever will be. They have been upfront so there is nothing to "string along".
That's right. The only thing remotely interesting to me was the source of the disappearance itself. And that's not something Lindelof is interested in. So I'm not interested in his show. So there.

I can't believe they renewed this but cancelled 'John from Cincinnati', which was similarly opaque, but a lot more fun. And it had a kickin' theme song, Johnny Appleseed, by the great Joe Stummer! (The Clash) I tried to attach the video from YouTube but I can't figure out how to do that since the recent AVS makeover - there used to be a button for attaching videos - but you can find it easily enough if you're so inclined.
Machuran likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 356 Old 08-16-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I finally figured out the actor who plays grandpa is Scott Glenn. Haven't seen him a while.

Glenn is such a compelling presence that I find it hard to believe that the sheriff resists hearing anything he has to say. Since there is no credible rational explanation for the departure, you may as well see if your voice-hearing psyche ward patient dad might know something. Look at his eyes, those are not crazy eyes. He looks rational to me. Why didn't the voices just tell grandpa to ask the sheriff to find a copy of the magazine? Just amuse your father, okay? But no, we have to go through the BS melodrama of him breaking out and assaulting people and vandalizing property, because acting violently crazy is how you convince people to do things.

This show is frustrating. It is technically well done and they have a compelling premise and some good ideas. But they don't trust their material and keep throwing out stuff to punch up false drama. Like earlier they hinted maybe dog guy was imaginary, then uh no never mind he's real, but hey maybe he's partially imaginary. The sheriff knew his daughter and her friends took the baby Jesus, but instead of just telling her damnit I don't have time for this crap, give it to me, he ran all over town tracking it down. They also withhold info from the audience to keep things "mysterious" and "suspenseful." The problem is it's hard to be emotionally invested in ciphers.
This. I don't want to have to wait 15 episodes to find out if Glenn's character is truly nuts or not. I don't find this aspect clever at all. We had the nutsy Baltar in the darkish new Battlestar Galactica, but knew the source of his nuttiness from the beginning. Yeah, different show with different writers, but the writing there was stronger, IMO.

Not calling it garbage, but it can be better. And perhaps it will become better.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #273 of 356 Old 08-16-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If this was a FOX show The Leftovers would probably follow Kitchen Nightmares.
post #274 of 356 Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I am still watching, but I am not sure why?? Somehow this show has drawn me in, but frustrates me! I have really never felt this way about a program before. I have almost given up twice, but keep coming back to it. I hope in time several things will become clearer as the show goes on. It needs to be demystified.
quad4.0 likes this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #275 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
well.... they're just going all in on stupid it seems.......
Machuran likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #276 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I think this episode was the breaking point for me. I was thinking if it goes in this direction then I would probably drop this show.
quad4.0 and Machuran like this.
post #277 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That's right. The only thing remotely interesting to me was the source of the disappearance itself. And that's not something Lindelof is interested in. So I'm not interested in his show. So there.
It's a shame, I thought it would've actually been about people dealing with the disappearance, instead it's about miserable people (especially around the family that didn't actually lose anyone) and annoying cults 3 years later. .

I liked that opening scene where the disappearance just happened with the mother and I did like the few scenes of Nora reacting to losing her entire family. Otherwise it's just scenes of dead dogs, annoying teens, more scenes of annoying cult members.
post #278 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I am still watching, but I am not sure why?? Somehow this show has drawn me in, but frustrates me! I have really never felt this way about a program before. I have almost given up twice, but keep coming back to it. I hope in time several things will become clearer as the show goes on. It needs to be demystified.

Not really sure there's anything to demystify with this show. The disappearance will never be gone into detail as it will never be explained (this has been known from the start). The motivation of the GDs was given last night which is basically what I had guessed before (they want people to remember what happened, when people are trying to move on and "forget". We are seeing how people react and live after this event and yes it would be very depressing for a great number of people if this actually happened. I'm still enjoying the show as it's the people that drive it.

I hope they do more single character focus as the show seems to shine when they do. I will be sticking around for the run unless things really go off kilter, but for now I am ok with what has been happening.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #279 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
For anyone still wanting to discuss this show with more than the dwindling population here, there's a very active Reddit community.
Ph8te likes this.
post #280 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
I'm with you on this. I can't stand to sit here and be insulted by what amounts to something like "Lost" that was a complete waste. And to think they are taking Boardwalk Empire off!
post #281 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think 'Boardwalk Empire' is going off with everybody's blessing. It's likely creatively spent and the principle drivers probably want to do something else with their lives. I've really enjoyed it, but you have to know when it's time to leave the stage.
Ph8te likes this.
post #282 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think 'Boardwalk Empire' is going off with everybody's blessing. It's likely creatively spent and the principle drivers probably want to do something else with their lives. I've really enjoyed it, but you have to know when it's time to leave the stage.

This, recently HBO has been good about giving shows a proper ending. This final season has been known and I don't think was "forced". Sometimes it's good to go out high then languish and get cancelled so you have to rush a conclusion.

post #283 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
I'm with you on this. I can't stand to sit here and be insulted by what amounts to something like "Lost" that was a complete waste. And to think they are taking Boardwalk Empire off!

I don't see a lost connection outside of Lindelof. Maybe because I didn't mind the ending (of lost) and don't have such a hate for him.

post #284 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
It's a shame, I thought it would've actually been about people dealing with the disappearance, instead it's about miserable people (especially around the family that didn't actually lose anyone) and annoying cults 3 years later. .

I liked that opening scene where the disappearance just happened with the mother and I did like the few scenes of Nora reacting to losing her entire family. Otherwise it's just scenes of dead dogs, annoying teens, more scenes of annoying cult members.
No idea why you would think that a person that did not lose someone in their family would not be affected. I don't see how you couldn't be affected. ZTo not be affected would be abnormal.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #285 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No idea why you would think that a person that did not lose someone in their family would not be affected. I don't see how you couldn't be affected. ZTo not be affected would be abnormal.
Because it didn't affect them directly like it has with other people. All we see is them being miserable just like almost everyone else in this series and some of them joining cults for some reason. I wish we were with better characters like the ones that I mentioned in the previous post because at least they would be more sympathetic with their situation instead of this family and I feel that they would provide better drama and motivation for the characters being miserable.
post #286 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Because it didn't affect them directly like it has with other people. All we see is them being miserable just like almost everyone else in this series and some of them joining cults for some reason. I wish we were with better characters like the ones that I mentioned in the previous post because at least they would be more sympathetic with their situation instead of this family and I feel that they would provide better drama and motivation for the characters being miserable.

This event affected everyone in some way or another. The feeling that you could be taken at anytime is not an easy feeling to get over. Outside of war and mass outbreaks of disease we've never dealt with loss this sudden with no explanation. Since this is outside of a situation most of is has dealt with its hard to relate what's going on. We can say how we think we would act, but really we don't know. This on top of people having Lost on the brain is hurting this show.

post #287 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
This event affected everyone in some way or another. The feeling that you could be taken at anytime is not an easy feeling to get over. Outside of war and mass outbreaks of disease we've never dealt with loss this sudden with no explanation. Since this is outside of a situation most of is has dealt with its hard to relate what's going on.
I never mentioned anything about Lost, even though that show actually had characters that I actually found compelling and it actually did have characters deal with the aftermath of their plane crash and having to survive on a mysterious island instead of just being miserable just for the sake of it. I did have problems with the later season, but that's for a different forum altogether.

Quote:
We can say how we think we would act, but really we don't know.
Yet you already pretty much described it in your post.

Quote:
This on top of people having Lost on the brain is hurting this show
Or other factors like the writing, direction, storytelling, plot, premise, their own opinions, etc. instead of blaming the viewers that aren't blindly praising every element of this series.
post #288 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I never mentioned anything about Lost, even though that show actually had characters that I actually found compelling and it actually did have characters deal with the aftermath of their plane crash and having to survive on a mysterious island instead of just being miserable just for the sake of it. I did have problems with the later season, but that's for a different forum altogether.

Yet you already pretty much described it in your post.

Or other factors like the writing, direction, storytelling, plot, premise, their own opinions, etc. instead of blaming the viewers that aren't blindly praising every element of this series.

The Lost comment was a general one as that show has been brought up nervous times in this thread. It was not directed at you.
I'm for sure not praising everything, there are things I could do without. Those things however for me don't outweigh what I like about this show. It's all personal opinions and we can differ that's the grey thing about the forums is the open discussion as sometimes you get a POV that makes you see things differently. Not sure how I "pretty much" described something that no one has experienced before. *shrug*

post #289 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
The Lost comment was a general one as that show has been brought up nervous times in this thread. It was not directed at you.
I'm for sure not praising everything, there are things I could do without. Those things however for me don't outweigh what I like about this show. It's all personal opinions and we can differ that's the grey thing about the forums is the open discussion as sometimes you get a POV that makes you see things differently. Not sure how I "pretty much" described something that no one has experienced before. *shrug*
The Lost comparison seems to be made because it's pretty much what Damon Lindelof's past work and what he's known for. This is definitely not Lost, but I have other problems with it with all things considered.
post #290 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Lost comparison seems to be made because it's pretty much what Damon Lindelof's past work and what he's known for. This is definitely not Lost, but I have other problems with it with all things considered.
yes I know why its made but as you said this isn't Lost and not really in the same genre, so for me its hard to connect the two or use Lost as a comparison for whats "wrong" with this show. Its not perfect, but I think this is better than the final season of True Blood, no where close to BE or GoT however.

I haven't read the book that this show is based on, but at least I knew going in to ignore the "disappearance" as that was "dead" after the 1st episode. That helped me go on knowing that this show was about the people rather than the mystery involved. This show is VERY VERY dark and depressing, that's one of the major issues about this show that people have stated. It doesn't bother me as there have been peeks of light and insight into the characters that have pealed away the doom and gloom of the overall theme. I can see where people wouldn't want to watch however as there isn't much joy/happiness and much is counterbalanced with something that washes the happiness out. I'm hoping they do more single character or "focused" episodes. The 2 so far this season where they focused on one character only have been excellent.
post #291 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
It's natural to bring up Lost because it's the show that made lindelof's reputation and it has the same mystery / puzzle box aspect to it. If people were liking this show they wouldn't be ragging on it because of Lost, though they would be wary about expecting a satisfying resolution that answers all the mysteries.

So what the hell is this supposed to be?

The departure is a metaphor for death and the grs are memento mori? Life makes no sense and has no meaning? So what, we're supposed to sit around and contemplate our mortality? That's nice but who is gonna pay the cable bill?

Or: this show is the GRs and we are the town. We're being trolled until we lose our will to be entertained. The emperor has no point.
post #292 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
It's natural to bring up Lost because it's the show that made lindelof's reputation and it has the same mystery / puzzle box aspect to it. If people were liking this show they wouldn't be ragging on it because of Lost, though they would be wary about expecting a satisfying resolution that answers all the mysteries.

So what the hell is this supposed to be?

The departure is a metaphor for death and the grs are memento mori? Life makes no sense and has no meaning? So what, we're supposed to sit around and contemplate our mortality? That's nice but who is gonna pay the cable bill?

Or: this show is the GRs and we are the town. We're being trolled until we lose our will to be entertained. The emperor has no point.
What mysteries? the GRs purpose was given this week (for the most part). Is there another major mystery that should be revealed? I don't see much mystery in this show and maybe that's why I don't have the longing for answers.
post #293 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The dogs, the hugger and his babies, the chief's mental state. Still can't get it through my head that dog killer isn't a personality of the chief. It just feels like that's what's going on every time I see him.

Oh, and if listening to Liv Tyler talk wasn't annoying enough, she just wouldn't shut up last episode. Laurie to the rescue. Slap her every time she opens her mouth, please.
Machuran likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #294 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
The dogs, the hugger and his babies, the chief's mental state. Still can't get it through my head that dog killer isn't a personality of the chief. It just feels like that's what's going on every time I see him.

Oh, and if listening to Liv Tyler talk wasn't annoying enough, she just wouldn't shut up last episode. Laurie to the rescue. Slap her every time she opens her mouth, please.
The dogs = wild packs of dogs maybe I don't see the mystery others do. Are people wondering why they are wild and still loose?
The hugger? do you mean Wayne? Hes basically the quintessential cult leader "movie\tv type"...Its basically a big scam that was discovered in last weeks episodes when the two "groups" actually met. (well at least the chiefs son met the other group.
The Chiefs Mental state I thought the last episode gave the biggest clues to that. hes going "crazy" just as his father did, we are seeing him slowly loose his mind as the "issues" he has are genetic. he tries to fight them, but they will eventually over take his life. The alternate personality we have only gotten glimpses of and the "after shot" when he wakes up covered in blood or with no memory of what happened.
Keenan likes this.
post #295 of 356 Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

I can't believe they renewed this but cancelled 'John from Cincinnati', which was similarly opaque, but a lot more fun. And it had a kickin' theme song, Johnny Appleseed, by the great Joe Stummer! (The Clash) I tried to attach the video from YouTube but I can't figure out how to do that since the recent AVS makeover - there used to be a button for attaching videos - but you can find it easily enough if you're so inclined.

Just copy the YT 'share' link and paste it in the post, it will be auto-wrapped with URL tags and above is what you get.
post #296 of 356 Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
yes I know why its made but as you said this isn't Lost and not really in the same genre, so for me its hard to connect the two or use Lost as a comparison for whats "wrong" with this show. Its not perfect, but I think this is better than the final season of True Blood, no where close to BE or GoT however.

I haven't read the book that this show is based on, but at least I knew going in to ignore the "disappearance" as that was "dead" after the 1st episode. That helped me go on knowing that this show was about the people rather than the mystery involved. This show is VERY VERY dark and depressing, that's one of the major issues about this show that people have stated. It doesn't bother me as there have been peeks of light and insight into the characters that have pealed away the doom and gloom of the overall theme. I can see where people wouldn't want to watch however as there isn't much joy/happiness and much is counterbalanced with something that washes the happiness out. I'm hoping they do more single character or "focused" episodes. The 2 so far this season where they focused on one character only have been excellent.
It's not so much the problem being dark and depressing given the premise of people disappearing, it just feels like it's trying to hard to show scene after scene of people being miserable and then you throw in scenes of dead dogs and cults doing whatever they're doing and it's a pretty joyless experience for many people.

I have a problem with the people seeing as they're either annoying cult members who can't die fast enough or more miserable people moping around and rarely do we ever get much else. Like I said before, I did like some of the scenes dealing with people's reaction to the disappearance and how they're dealing with the aftermath of their lost loved ones, but that's about it.

Last edited by Machuran; 08-19-2014 at 05:28 AM.
post #297 of 356 Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post

Just copy the YT 'share' link and paste it in the post, it will be auto-wrapped with URL tags and above is what you get.

Thanks, got it now - the process starts on the YT page. But.... isn't that opening credit sequence for JfC awesome? I still can't believe they cancelled that show (and 'Luck', for that matter), but renewed this one. There is no justice in TV.
Machuran likes this.
post #298 of 356 Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
If it's just a wild pack of dogs why waste time on the show about it every week.

You are ignoring the fact that people lose their emotional pain after a hug from Wayne, or at least they think they do. That was the mystery I'm interested in.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #299 of 356 Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
If it's just a wild pack of dogs why waste time on the show about it every week.

You are ignoring the fact that people lose their emotional pain after a hug from Wayne, or at least they think they do. That was the mystery I'm interested in.

The dogs relate to the chief. It was brought up a few times early on that he would never hurt a dog (the reason was not given). I think of them as more of a symbolic representation of how the chief is winding his way down to insanity.

The power of a hug it's a wonderful thing. When someone gets you at a very vulnerable point and convinces you that it's "ok" to let go of all of this pain that you are holding in to. Motivational speakers and "spiritual" leaders do this "trick" all of the time.

Keenan likes this.
post #300 of 356 Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The power of a hug it's a wonderful thing. When someone gets you at a very vulnerable point and convinces you that it's "ok" to let go of all of this pain that you are holding in to. Motivational speakers and "spiritual" leaders do this "trick" all of the time.
Nobody did it better than Star Trek V's Sybok.
Ph8te likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page