The Leftovers on HBO - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
IF hugging-it-out works, why is it a trick? (I'm neither a pastor or motivational speaker)

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Mind over matter....

Bobby 

bobby94928 is offline  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Andy Greenwald does a beautiful takedown of the leftovers.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...isode-8-recap/

"keeps reaching for ideas on the high shelf and knocking things over"
acebreathe and Machuran like this.
barth2k is online now  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ray Lucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I thought Sunday's show was terrific, more from the technical side with the brilliant Director Michelle Maclaren at the helm. The cuts, the camera angles the look was a big step up for the show, imo. Hope we see MM do several Walking Dead episodes coming up.
Ray Lucca is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 2,733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm more confused than ever on the dog killer guy. After showing the Chief's daughter, as well as others in the field talking to him, making it seem like he was real, we are back to indicating he's either a ghost or the split personality of the Chief. Sure the Cult leader lady spoke to him but the fact their is no trace of him points in that direction
NorthJersey is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I guess that's a mystery.
wco81 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Member
 
MattNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a theory I haven't seen anywhere else: Is it possible that Kevin should have been a departed, but didn't due to some circumstance? It would explain some of the weird occurrences (brakes not working, dogs, Dean, etc).
MattNelson is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNelson View Post
Here is a theory I haven't seen anywhere else: Is it possible that Kevin should have been a departed, but didn't due to some circumstance? It would explain some of the weird occurrences (brakes not working, dogs, Dean, etc).
I am done with the show, but if I remember correctly wasn't he with a woman who was not his wife and she disappeared while they were having sex? Talk about the ultimate cockblock. Did they every go into who she was? Maybe he was suppose to depart, but the departer beam took the woman by mistake.
Machuran likes this.
sytech is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
I'm more confused than ever on the dog killer guy. After showing the Chief's daughter, as well as others in the field talking to him, making it seem like he was real, we are back to indicating he's either a ghost or the split personality of the Chief. Sure the Cult leader lady spoke to him but the fact their is no trace of him points in that direction
Don't think so. At this point many have seen him and a few even talked to him. Cult leader, cops daughter, deputy in the woods when the woman was stoned.
Ph8te likes this.
sytech is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Here's my theory: they are all departed, living in limbo or some alternate reality. Meanwhile, the real leftovers are the 2 percent remaining on the real earth wondering why God/Jesus /Allah/Shiva/Biff has forsaken them.
barth2k is online now  
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OggideM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
wow, the backstories were even more preposterous than I imagined.
Machuran likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
OggideM is offline  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,745
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
wow, the backstories were even more preposterous than I imagined.

I don't agree at all. What exactly was preposterous about any of them? That they were actually happy and living a normal life?

If anything the backstory have even more insight to why the people have acted the way they do in the show. Maybe it will be just me, but this weeks show showed the emotional impact that some of the disappearances had.

Of course if I disliked the show much as some seem to here I wouldn't watch it anymore.


Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Ph8te is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OggideM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I don't agree at all. What exactly was preposterous about any of them? That they were actually happy and living a normal life?

If anything the backstory have even more insight to why the people have acted the way they do in the show. Maybe it will be just me, but this weeks show showed the emotional impact that some of the disappearances had.

Of course if I disliked the show much as some seem to here I wouldn't watch it anymore.


Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

Well, to begin with

let's assume they were "living normal lives" (to which I disagree, and will get to in a moment)

Happy?
Uh no, Kevin and Laurie were fighting, he was having his affair, the daughter said they were on the verge of splitting. He told his dad "{this life} isn't enough" (or whatever the exact dialogue was). His dad said for most people it never will be, and suck it up (paraphrased). Patti sure wasn't happy. Gladys, maybe, then again didn't see much. The Garvey daughter might have actually been happy (ier). The sun was in the middle of a conflicting situation with learning his real 'father'. Nora wasn't too happy (job good, father who does nothing in the parenting, bad) Etc. Now if your point was everyone was "happier", maybe I can buy that (compared to the post-departure misery).


About their lives being 'normal'?
Well, I don't think unplanned pregnancies in the 40s is normal. I don't think a top 10% lifestyle is "normal". I don't think Patti's telepathy and paranoia is "normal". Her Etc.

Which really brings me to my bigger point. Let's just take Patti, Gladys, and Laurie. Essentially the 3 "leaders" of the Mapleton GR. In a town of 5000, they all just 'happened' to be connected before the event. In a town of 5000 they all just 'happened' to be connected to Laurie who is connected to Kevin, who is the centerpiece of all the WTFery. I guess I can suspend disbelief on the "departures", but not about the statistical improbability of the population dynamics creating character connections as depicted.


It's also pretty jump-the-sharky to reveal this early in that the departures have nothing to do with good/evil (or deserving/undeserving, whatever you want to call it) and seem to be mostly related to a select(or random) group of people getting what they want in a moment. I'm sure they'll retcon that somehow later on. Or maybe it will just meander on ....
Machuran likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
OggideM is offline  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,745
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
Well, to begin with

let's assume they were "living normal lives" (to which I disagree, and will get to in a moment)

Happy?
Uh no, Kevin and Laurie were fighting, he was having his affair, the daughter said they were on the verge of splitting. He told his dad "{this life} isn't enough" (or whatever the exact dialogue was). His dad said for most people it never will be, and suck it up (paraphrased). Patti sure wasn't happy. Gladys, maybe, then again didn't see much. The Garvey daughter might have actually been happy (ier). The sun was in the middle of a conflicting situation with learning his real 'father'. Nora wasn't too happy (job good, father who does nothing in the parenting, bad) Etc. Now if your point was everyone was "happier", maybe I can buy that (compared to the post-departure misery).


About their lives being 'normal'?
Well, I don't think unplanned pregnancies in the 40s is normal. I don't think a top 10% lifestyle is "normal". I don't think Patti's telepathy and paranoia is "normal". Her Etc.

Which really brings me to my bigger point. Let's just take Patti, Gladys, and Laurie. Essentially the 3 "leaders" of the Mapleton GR. In a town of 5000, they all just 'happened' to be connected before the event. In a town of 5000 they all just 'happened' to be connected to Laurie who is connected to Kevin, who is the centerpiece of all the WTFery. I guess I can suspend disbelief on the "departures", but not about the statistical improbability of the population dynamics creating character connections as depicted.


It's also pretty jump-the-sharky to reveal this early in that the departures have nothing to do with good/evil (or deserving/undeserving, whatever you want to call it) and seem to be mostly related to a select(or random) group of people getting what they want in a moment. I'm sure they'll retcon that somehow later on. Or maybe it will just meander on ....
Happy was the incorrect word, so I apologize about that. "Happier" would have been a better term, again though it is all relative.


As far as the "connections" this is a TV show, not a reality TV show. In a small town of course people are more connected the longer they live there. This can occur at varying degrees depending on what one does. Having lived in a very small town, I see that those that grew up in the town and have kids in the town are more connected than those in other larger communities.


Top 10% "lifestyle"? So now we have to be careful on what jobs people have on a TV show and how they live? Not normal for most and not "normal" is not the same thing. For those that are able to afford and live that way, that life is "normal" (I still not sure where the top 10% fits into this). Maybe I missed where we found out she was in her 40s? Kevin just seems to be the focus of this one story, there are many stories that are untold where he has no connection to.


As far as the departure, I didn't see it as getting what they want unless it was a momentary lapse. Nora, maybe felt that way about her husband, she loved her kids and I think many parents at one time or another have had a momentary "blow up". Her kids were the biggest blow to her and the reason why she acts the way she does. Laurie, while thinking of getting an abortion, seemed to change her tune when she got the ultrasound. Kevin, not sure he got what he wanted since the woman was only in town temporarily anyways. The kids, how did they get what they wanted? It seems totally random at this time, unless you think of the 2% of the world (not sure on this number) everyone is connected (besides the departures).
Ph8te is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,913
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 808
This episode certainly explained some things. I thought it was another good one.
JohnDG, Keenan, Whitearrow and 3 others like this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,993
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
The fetus and Garvey being a step-father was unexpected. Is he stepfather to Jill too?


The Durst husband was also having an affair, which she probably suspected. Her brother just confirmed it later on. Another thing her brother confirmed in past episodes, the departed were not all saints.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,745
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
The fetus and Garvey being a step-father was unexpected. Is he stepfather to Jill too?


The Durst husband was also having an affair, which she probably suspected. Her brother just confirmed it later on. Another thing her brother confirmed in past episodes, the departed were not all saints.
Jill is his daughter (as far as we know), he was only stepfather to Tommy (although as shown in this episode and others he considers him "his" son)
Ph8te is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Newbie
 
crb595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Jill is his daughter (as far as we know), he was only stepfather to Tommy (although as shown in this episode and others he considers him "his" son)
Does anyone else have the impression at the very end of the episode that Laurie' s fetus also "departed?" The look on her face when she looked back at the ultrasound leads me to believe she is no longer pregnant.
acebreathe likes this.
crb595 is offline  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,745
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb595 View Post
Does anyone else have the impression at the very end of the episode that Laurie' s fetus also "departed?" The look on her face when she looked back at the ultrasound leads me to believe she is no longer pregnant.
It may never be answered, but I would agree from the look she gave, the fetus was also part of the departed. This would also be why she chain smokes without caring now and has not shown any signs of being pregnant.
Ph8te is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb595 View Post
Does anyone else have the impression at the very end of the episode that Laurie' s fetus also "departed?" The look on her face when she looked back at the ultrasound leads me to believe she is no longer pregnant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It may never be answered, but I would agree from the look she gave, the fetus was also part of the departed. This would also be why she chain smokes without caring now and has not shown any signs of being pregnant.
Absolutely, I have no doubt the fetus disappeared, hard to imagine anything else being implied by those scenes.
Keenan is online now  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Laurie looks well into her 40s, maybe closer to 50.

She was apparently the big breadwinner. The house they had, with the big pool, isn't something a cop would be able to afford.

Is psychiatry or psychology in a small town that lucrative?


Anyways, maybe afterwards, she decided to split, selling the house (which is nicer than the one Kevin and Jill live in 3 years after the rapture) and taking her money to the GR, which would explain their resources somewhat.
wco81 is offline  
Old 08-26-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,745
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Laurie looks well into her 40s, maybe closer to 50.

She was apparently the big breadwinner. The house they had, with the big pool, isn't something a cop would be able to afford.

Is psychiatry or psychology in a small town that lucrative?


Anyways, maybe afterwards, she decided to split, selling the house (which is nicer than the one Kevin and Jill live in 3 years after the rapture) and taking her money to the GR, which would explain their resources somewhat.
Looks and IS, two totally different things. Ive met people in their 20's that look 40, and people in their 60's that look late 20's and early to mid 30's. Think about it this way, if you're the one of the only games in town, everyone comes to you so that in itself is lucrative.


For the GR's and money, many had loved ones lost in the departing, this paid them an insurance sum, I am sure there is a "general fund" of some sort that everyone gives to. Since they live fairly simple, it means they have lots of cash on hand to make large purchases.
Ph8te is online now  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Great ending to sunday's episode..... I noticed in this episode, that the people that disappeared were not necessarily "good or bad" but rather "content or at peace" with themselves.
baja7475 is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I dunno, Nora's screaming kids didn't seem all that content.
Garrett Adams and OggideM like this.
Whitearrow is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OggideM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post
Great ending to sunday's episode..... I noticed in this episode, that the people that disappeared were not necessarily "good or bad" but rather "content or at peace" with themselves.

1) uhhh. no. unless crying or distressed kids are content/at peace
-- Nora's family
-- the lady in the car with the crying infant



----- aside comment
2) sorry I haven't gotten back to your comment yet ph8te.
I'll try tomorrow.

Quit failing to flip the switch
OggideM is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wink

[QUOTE=OggideM;26975129]1) uhhh. no. unless crying or distressed kids are content/at peace
-- Nora's family
-- the lady in the car with the crying infant


Crying or whining kids is pretty normal (It's the quiet shy kids you have to worry about), trying to get there way or getting a reaction or attention from Nora. Especially because the Dad was not paying attention and in lala land.
baja7475 is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's totally normal. I just wouldn't describe it as "at peace" or "content."
Whitearrow is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The whole point of the departure is its seeming complete randomness. If it were just people who are at peace and content they would have seen some pattern. Like disproportionate number of infants, monks, Republicans, comatose patients?
barth2k is online now  
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
The whole point of the departure is its seeming complete randomness. If it were just people who are at peace and content they would have seen some pattern. Like disproportionate number of infants, monks, Republicans, comatose patients?
Keenan is online now  
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My Dad and I were talking about the show and how they emphasize the people that are still on Earth. As being depressed, not happy, being left out, missing something in there lives, maybe it's just something they are throwing into the show to keep people guessing for no reason.
baja7475 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off