post #331 of 356 Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Laurie looks well into her 40s, maybe closer to 50.

She was apparently the big breadwinner. The house they had, with the big pool, isn't something a cop would be able to afford.

Is psychiatry or psychology in a small town that lucrative?

Anyways, maybe afterwards, she decided to split, selling the house (which is nicer than the one Kevin and Jill live in 3 years after the rapture) and taking her money to the GR, which would explain their resources somewhat.
From what I recall when I used to watch it, Kevin and Jill's house is actually the Kevin's father house. They are staying there since the father is in the psycho ward. The said something like their original house was damaged and they showed the cracks in the fireplace and the sewer exploding nearby. Probably fell into a hole of fire to symbolize hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 356 Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Perhaps the "Rapture" is a stand in for death. We go when summoned. No rhyme or reason just times up. Everyone left behind flounders for why.
post #333 of 356 Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's not just the Lefties and the Departed, there's that cult guy with the young Asian women. The latter is mystery to me. Please, no book feedback.
post #334 of 356 Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey is this finale even on tonight due to Labor Day? It's appearing that way...bummer.
post #335 of 356 Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post
Hey is this finale even on tonight due to Labor Day? It's appearing that way...bummer.
HBO always takes the Labor Day holiday weekend "off" Leftovers will have its season finale next week after the season premiere of Boardwalk Empire.
post #336 of 356 Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It may never be answered, but I would agree from the look she gave, the fetus was also part of the departed. This would also be why she chain smokes without caring now and has not shown any signs of being pregnant.
I agree that the fetus is one of the departees. Don't forget that the main story line is set 3 yrs after the event so Laurie's chain smoking isn't going to have any effect on the fetus unless that's one long pregnancy. Great episode looking forward to the finale. I have not read the book but I'm wondering how much did they cover this season and how long can they keep this going?
post #337 of 356 Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Well at least another season since it got renewed.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #338 of 356 Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #339 of 356 Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Love the show. Tonight's finale was fantastic. The score was amazing. Really well done and sounded great in the theater. Looking forward to next season.
Whitearrow and Ph8te like this.

Samsung 64' F8500
Onkyo NR809 (Main)
PS4/Samsung BD5900
7.2 System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides)/JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 15' Sub/Bic F12 Subwoofer (2)
post #340 of 356 Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, of course I'm sure those who don't like the show but continue to watch will still be around

Thought this episode was excellent. The emotional waves expressed expressed throughout the episode were spot on. I'm glad I stuck around as this episode proved that even in the darkest moments there were rays of sunlight fighting to get through. It wasn't until the remainders forced themselves to constant what happened that that they began to let go of the burden of being a remainder. Great stuff can't wait till next season.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Whitearrow likes this.
post #341 of 356 Old 09-07-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
Love the show. Tonight's finale was fantastic. The score was amazing. Really well done and sounded great in the theater. Looking forward to next season.
Excellent finale, and the score was very good indeed.
Whitearrow likes this.
post #342 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Norah's existential journey was quick. Will she stays around now that she found herself a baby?

Is Tommy ditching it or not? Comes to say hi to muteMom, but will they stay around or go back to doing what they were before?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #343 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree, of course I'm sure those who don't like the show but continue to watch will still be around
Depends on what you mean by that, did you expect this show to not have any differing opinions?
post #344 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
Depends on what you mean by that, did you expect this show to not have any differing opinions?
Not at all, but If I dislike a show and almost everything about it, I stop watching. If you continue to watch all you do is further promote it (negative press is still press). I usually give a show 3-5 episodes before ill drop it. That way I can say I at least gave it a chance. I then may monitor the thread just to see if things have changed. I wouldn't week after week after week say how much I hate what the show as that is counterproductive and a waste of my time. I am always open to differing views and shows like this are bound to have differing opinions. So far this show has been very love\hate here on the boards.
post #345 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Not at all, but If I dislike a show and almost everything about it, I stop watching. If you continue to watch all you do is further promote it (negative press is still press). I usually give a show 3-5 episodes before ill drop it. That way I can say I at least gave it a chance. I then may monitor the thread just to see if things have changed. I wouldn't week after week after week say how much I hate what the show as that is counterproductive and a waste of my time. I am always open to differing views and shows like this are bound to have differing opinions. So far this show has been very love\hate here on the boards.
It's a very polarizing show and from the pilot onwards it's very obvious to see how people would react to it. I would say there are some people hate watching it like they do with other shows.
post #346 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I gave up on this show after a couple of episodes and it became clear the central mystery of why and how these people disappeared - the only thing I really cared about - was not going to be explored.

Nevertheless, I continue to monitor this thread in case Lindelof was pulling a rope-a-dope and does begin to explore the mystery rather than merely the characters' reactions to it. Looks like I haven't missed anything.
Machuran likes this.
post #347 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I gave up on this show after a couple of episodes and it became clear the central mystery of why and how these people disappeared - the only thing I really cared about - was not going to be explored.

Nevertheless, I continue to monitor this thread in case Lindelof was pulling a rope-a-dope and does begin to explore the mystery rather than merely the characters' reactions to it. Looks like I haven't missed anything.

The mystery will "never" be explored. This was known before the season started. Maybe it's one of the reasons things haven't bothered me as much. I knew after the 1st episode that was really the extent of the mystery. I do get why people would want that explored I just don't see that happening with this show. The source material dosent go into it thus HBO/show runners would have to create the "what/how" of the event.

Whitearrow likes this.
post #348 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
The mystery will "never" be explored. This was known before the season started.
No, you're right. They're never going there. I found I didn't want to spend any time with any of these mopes. There wasn't a character I admired or pulled for, and I just found the whole thing pretty depressing. A cool mystery that they were trying to solve while moping around and being mean to each other would have at least held my interest while I was getting to know them.

Nevertheless, there is a sizable cadre that sees something in it that I don't. HBO has renewed it. But whadda' I know? I really liked 'John from Cincinnati', which was basically nothing but atmosphere and emotion, and defended it here as these folks are doing with this one. So I get it. I just don't "get it".
ltownsend and Machuran like this.
post #349 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
No, you're right. They're never going there. I found I didn't want to spend any time with any of these mopes. There wasn't a character I admired or pulled for, and I just found the whole thing pretty depressing. A cool mystery that they were trying to solve while moping around and being mean to each other would have at least held my interest while I was getting to know them.

Nevertheless, there is a sizable cadre that sees something in it that I don't. HBO has renewed it. But whadda' I know? I really liked 'John from Cincinnati', which was basically nothing but atmosphere and emotion, and defended it here as these folks are doing with this one. So I get it. I just don't "get it".
Personally I find the 'not getting it' excuse very pretentious, you just didn't like it and that's fine. In fact, I do agree with you. I usually like character based drama like Rectify for example, I just couldn't connect with anything here throughout the season, I didn't hate it like I do with Under the Dome, which was pure trash btw, this show just felt empty for me in a way that's hard to explain.
post #350 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

They had a report today about the Malaysian FLight 370. Many of those family members are still distraught simply because they have no idea what happened to their loved ones. With the Leftovers it's even worse. People disappeared right in front of everyone. How do you get over that? How do you know that it can't happen again? How do you know it won't happen to you? You wouldn't and it would just wreak havoc with the sanity of any normal person no matter how many years have passed.
Keenan, Whitearrow, Ph8te and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #351 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They had a report today about the Malaysian FLight 370. Many of those family members are still distraught simply because they have no idea what happened to their loved ones. With the Leftovers it's even worse. People disappeared right in front of everyone. How do you get over that? How do you know that it can't happen again? How do you know it won't happen to you? You wouldn't and it would just wreak havoc with the sanity of any normal person no matter how many years have passed.

I made this "connection" early on. Some people took issue with it of course. I do agree though maybe people have a hard time empathizing with the event and what the characters are going through. Often we say we wouldn't mope, but until someone you know disappears with no trace it's hard to say what you would do.

post #352 of 356 Old 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I made this "connection" early on. Some people took issue with it of course. I do agree though maybe people have a hard time empathizing with the event and what the characters are going through. Often we say we wouldn't mope, but until someone you know disappears with no trace it's hard to say what you would do.

Yes I have no idea what I would do if something like that happened. Only that it would stick with me for the rest of my life.
Ph8te and Machuran like this.

post #353 of 356 Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The last episode was so rich and full of great stuff. The two scenes between Kevin and Matt were extraordinary. I have been following Christopher Eccleston's career for awhile now, and this is the best work I've ever seen him do.

Kevin's crazy dream and subsequent meeting with Wayne. His wish, granted. Laurie had so much going on in her initial "talk" with Jill, and her obvious regret about it later. Her faith seems to have been dashed while Meg, on the other hand, has grown more and more defiant. Tommy brought the baby to the one person he knew he could count on, and just before leaving found his mom again.

And Nora, geez. I have never seen anything like that before -- the actress was amazing. Everyone brought their A-game to this. And I haven't even mentioned the music, both needle drops (the Metallica song, Nina Simone) and the score, which were both of the amazing caliber we've come to expect from this show.

I think this was both a great season finale, with plenty of threads to be picked up for next year, but also would have served fine as a series finale if it hadn't been, which nobody knew at the time it was written and filmed. That's a tough nut to crack, yet they did it, and very well.
acebreathe likes this.
post #354 of 356 Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
The last episode was so rich and full of great stuff. ...And Nora, geez. I have never seen anything like that before -- the actress was amazing. Everyone brought their A-game to this. And I haven't even mentioned the music, both needle drops (the Metallica song, Nina Simone) and the score, which were both of the amazing caliber we've come to expect from this show.
Agreed, it was an excellent finale'.

Only downer was Kevin was able to successfully retrieve his PITA/drama queen daughter from the burning house

What was Kevin's wish? To get his family back together again?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #355 of 356 Old 09-10-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Agreed, it was an excellent finale'.

Only downer was Kevin was able to successfully retrieve his PITA/drama queen daughter from the burning house

I believe we are to assume that was his wish. Since earlier in the episode he talked about how he wanted out of his life. Then as soon as he got that wish he realized that it wasn't what he wanted. He fought hard to try and get his family back together, but failed at every turn.

post #356 of 356 Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I think he wished for a new life, and for hope. And at the end, with Jill okay and Nora standing there with the baby, I think he saw it.

After what happened with Jill, I have a hard time imaging that he feels anything but fury toward Laurie right now.
acebreathe likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page