The Leftovers on HBO - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 356 Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Lots of interesting stuff with no real indication of where it's going. It will take a couple more episodes to determine my thumb position.
Garrett Adams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 356 Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
After watching the pilot, I have no idea where this show is going. If they don't revisit and focus on the mystery of where, why, and how these 140 million people disappeared, I can't see it holding my interest.
I think this show is going to have as much to do with the mystery of what happened as Walking Dead does with how the zombie apocalypse started.
Ph8te likes this.
Whitearrow is offline  
post #33 of 356 Old 07-01-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I heard the novelist interviewed on Fresh Air. Said he was inspired by the Rapture literature but wasn't interested in the meaning of the disappearance, just the drama created in the wake of the event.

I think that's where DL has a higher hurdle, because the one project he's most associated with had these quasi-supernatural events and never satisfactorily explained them for many viewers.

Actually even if it wasn't DL in charge, after the stunt Lost pulled, viewers have become wary of series being wrapped up in unsatisfying ways.


What a legacy ...
wco81 is offline  
post #34 of 356 Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I think this show is going to have as much to do with the mystery of what happened as Walking Dead does with how the zombie apocalypse started.
I suspect you're right. But I'm a lot more interested in watching actual zombies than people who merely act like it.
archiguy is offline  
post #35 of 356 Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I think this show is going to have as much to do with the mystery of what happened as Walking Dead does with how the zombie apocalypse started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I suspect you're right. But I'm a lot more interested in watching actual zombies than people who merely act like it.
Everything I've read about this show indicates that there will be zero explanation about what happened, the show is all about the people who were "leftover", and that's it.
Keenan is online now  
post #36 of 356 Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Not a fan of the gratuitous dog slaughter, but otherwise I'll give it a couple of more episodes ...

I did get a whiff of "Contact" with all the "punditry" and such ...
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #37 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wait... was there elements of time travel slipped in there, or was I too dreary from a long day while watching the hero's sequences where he ran over some animal with his car and he woke up in his house in the next scene? Then, he sees the moose on the road "next night" and this time he stops and asks the moose if it was him/her that tore up his house the previous night. WTH... was I daydreaming of Lost stories when I was watching this pilot??
raaj is offline  
post #38 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
That was a really tame moose, or elk, or deer, or whatever ruminant it was. And I just don't get the dog thing. While it's true that dogs will band together in impromptu packs if their owners go away, they wouldn't suddenly forget that humans are their friends or become dangerous. And many of them would get re-adopted. I would think that humans suffering from losing loved ones would seek out dogs for some comfort anyway.

Unless the mini-rapture changed the dogs into dangerous wolf-like creatures, hunting and attacking humans! Now we're getting somewhere!
archiguy is offline  
post #39 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sirjonsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That was a really tame moose, or elk, or deer, or whatever ruminant it was. And I just don't get the dog thing. While it's true that dogs will band together in impromptu packs if their owners go away, they wouldn't suddenly forget that humans are their friends or become dangerous. And many of them would get re-adopted. I would think that humans suffering from losing loved ones would seek out dogs for some comfort anyway.

Unless the mini-rapture changed the dogs into dangerous wolf-like creatures, hunting and attacking humans! Now we're getting somewhere!
They were, specifically, dogs that had seen their owners disappear. From in-show conversations it would seem dogs that hadn't seen that are still normal.
Ph8te likes this.
sirjonsnow is online now  
post #40 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
Wait... was there elements of time travel slipped in there, or was I too dreary from a long day while watching the hero's sequences where he ran over some animal with his car and he woke up in his house in the next scene?
Those were dream(/nightmare) sequences. Also there were some "flashback" sequences sprinkled in.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #41 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I think him hitting the deer was probably incorporating the sounds of the deer in his house into his dream as it was happening.

Was there a title given to the white suit people? G.R. I think, did they show what the full name was?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
post #42 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Guilty Remnants.

I think many members of the cult would have petered out 3 years out.

How do they sustain themselves? Who pays for the houses and the living expenses? None of them seem to work.

Hell, I was just hearing a report about how Amish these days, at least some of them, are rich from the crops they produce and sell, so they have smart phones, use the Internet and go to this place in Florida for vacations. They can't drive themselves but they can be driven.

We didn't see the GR work, just chain smoke and stalk people.

There's no money in that.
wco81 is offline  
post #43 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Mopey, mopey, mopey, mopey misery-porn. Wasn't impressed with the pilot. Don't care about any of the characters. Seems like there will be little intention of digging into the mystery of why the people disappeared.

2% of the world's population vanished. That's a lot yes, but why does it seem like a disproportionately large amount of those 2% all came from this small town? Is there anyone in the town who wasn't directly affected by the event? Did every single family lose at least one member?

Even after a major real-world tragedy like 9/11, most people eventually move on. Those who weren't directly affected stop thinking about it. Where are those people in this show? Some drama could be mined from the people who can't move on having to live in a world that has stopped caring. So far, every single person still spends all day every day thinking about what they lost.

I also found the 28-year-old "teenagers" with chiseled abs to be pretty ridiculous. Did the CW network cast this?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #44 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I'm annoyed with that group, just by the small amount of time we've seen of them. Not the protesting, but the dumb things they do among each other. There's probably some rich benefactor that started the group.

Liv Tyler, while cute, I can't stand her breathy whisper voice.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is online now  
post #45 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Guilty Remnants.

I think many members of the cult would have petered out 3 years out.

How do they sustain themselves? Who pays for the houses and the living expenses? None of them seem to work.

Hell, I was just hearing a report about how Amish these days, at least some of them, are rich from the crops they produce and sell, so they have smart phones, use the Internet and go to this place in Florida for vacations. They can't drive themselves but they can be driven.

We didn't see the GR work, just chain smoke and stalk people.

There's no money in that.
How does any cult sustain itself? It recruits new members and absorbs all their money and possessions.

It seems like the culties had a detailed plan for who they were going to stalk, with the intention of "turning" poor Liv Tyler over to their side.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #46 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

2% of the world's population vanished. That's a lot yes, but why does it seem like a disproportionately large amount of those 2% all came from this small town? Is there anyone in the town who wasn't directly affected by the event? Did every single family lose at least one member?
I don't see any indication that this particular town was disproportionately impacted. I don't know the population of the town (maybe I missed a sign), but 1 in 50 in a town of 6000 would be 120 people. That seems about right considering how long the girl scouts were supposed to be reading names. And no, every family was not impacted -- including the main character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Even after a major real-world tragedy like 9/11, most people eventually move on. Those who weren't directly affected stop thinking about it. Where are those people in this show? Some drama could be mined from the people who can't move on having to live in a world that has stopped caring. So far, every single person still spends all day every day thinking about what they lost.
I think 140 million is a little different than 3,000, whether you are measuring that against the population of New York and DC, the US, or the whole world. If there were a thousand 9/11's, that would be 3 million people gone. The numbers just aren't comparable, and having an explanation for what happened on 9/11 makes the situations totally different.
baja7475 likes this.
Whitearrow is offline  
post #47 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Guilty Remnants.

...How do they sustain themselves? Who pays for the houses and the living expenses? None of them seem to work.
Their cigarette costs must be huge!
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #48 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
And no, every family was not impacted -- including the main character.
It seemed to me that the two flashbacks (the first of Garvey running around naked and screaming, and the later revelation that he was having sex during the event) were meant to suggest that the person he was having sex with (presumably not his wife) vanished during the act - which is why he's so messed up now. So, yeah, he was impacted. From what we see in the first episode, every single person in the town was directly impacted.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #49 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Whitearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I agree that every person has felt the impact. I do not agree that every person has necessarily lost a family member.
Whitearrow is offline  
post #50 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It seemed to me that the two flashbacks (the first of Garvey running around naked and screaming, and the later revelation that he was having sex during the event) were meant to suggest that the person he was having sex with (presumably not his wife) vanished during the act - which is why he's so messed up now. So, yeah, he was impacted. From what we see in the first episode, every single person in the town was directly impacted.
Garvey is just like the wacky dogs in that respect, they(and him) were likely staring right at the person when they disappeared, that would knock anyone for a loop. I suspect that Dog Killer Man probably has a similarly weird disappearance experience which might explain his mission of culling the "wild" dogs.


The chain smoking clan plot-line is just ridiculously stupid to me and so far the least interesting aspect of the show, which is fine as that's where the animated corpse known as Liv Tyler has ended up so she's in like company there.

The teenagers are going to do teenager stuff, no surprises there. So far, with this first episode, the most interesting part of the story is the "prophet" out in the desert and what he's up to.

Last edited by Keenan; 07-02-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Keenan is online now  
post #51 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Maybe the GR is this show's version of The Others or the Dharma Initiative.
wco81 is offline  
post #52 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,091
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I think 140 million is a little different than 3,000, whether you are measuring that against the population of New York and DC, the US, or the whole world. If there were a thousand 9/11's, that would be 3 million people gone. The numbers just aren't comparable, and having an explanation for what happened on 9/11 makes the situations totally different.
We live in a jaded and cynical society. Even though this event may be bigger - a lot bigger - than 9/11, it's also very different than 9/11 in that there's no confirmation that the missing people are dead. They just disappeared, seemingly quietly for the most part. There are no images bombarding the media of people jumping off skyscrapers in desperation or burning buildings collapsing in the middle of Manhattan.

Inevitably, a lot of people will hold out hope that he missing will be returned. Many will see this as confirmation that God exists and believe that they'll all be reunited in Heaven. Some will formulate crackpot theories about alien abductions or what have you.

I just don't find it realistic that everyone would still be wallowing in total misery years later. Some people, sure. Maybe you want to make those the main characters, fine. But there has to be some variety. A lot of people will have moved on. Some will just not care, if it didn't directly affect them.

A tragedy like this isn't even necessarily unprecedented. The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 killed almost 5% of the world's population, upwards of 100 million people at the time. And in that case, there really were bodies in the streets. When it was over, the survivors rebuilt their lives and tried to put it behind them. I suppose the world is a different place now, with the internet and the 24 hour news cycle to constantly remind people what they lost, but still, for good drama this show needs something more than all misery all the time.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #53 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I felt that the person Garvey was having sex with at the time of the event was his wife - from whatever brief glimpse we got in the flashy cuts of flashback. It seems that the family lost the son who was in the shattered family portrait the girl was holding and the wife/mother in the pic might have been traumatized and ended up joining the GR.
raaj is offline  
post #54 of 356 Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
I felt that the person Garvey was having sex with at the time of the event was his wife - from whatever brief glimpse we got in the flashy cuts of flashback. It seems that the family lost the son who was in the shattered family portrait the girl was holding and the wife/mother in the pic might have been traumatized and ended up joining the GR.
The son is still around, he's the guy out in the desert who drove the van with the senator to see the guru guy. All the Garvey family are still present, they're just off in their own little worlds because of the "disappearance".
Keenan is online now  
post #55 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The son is still around, he's the guy out in the desert who drove the van with the senator to see the guru guy. All the Garvey family are still present, they're just off in their own little worlds because of the "disappearance".
Yikes!! I think I was in my own world when I watched the pilot. Thanks for the clarification. I will stick around for a couple more episodes to see if I can make better sense of the happenings on.
raaj is offline  
post #56 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 179
But not sure I am going to stick with this, maybe another episode. But like I said before, to small of a population number that vanished to have any real impact. And the whole white wearing group, why would people suddenly attack them three years later? Turn your back and ignore them, you just effectively eliminated the one thing they were trying to do and rendered them useless. Sure people are upset, but a large number of people move on with their lives three years after loosing a loved one. All in all, it was all over the place with no real driving mystery or anything to keep my watching much more.

WilliamR is offline  
post #57 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I'll try one or two more to see if it's going to go anywhere I want to go, but a whole season of this mopyness is more than I can take. Mrs. Archi has already bailed; the pilot was boring enough. Which means I'll have to watch it alone, which would make me sad.

Hey - if I get sad enough, maybe I'll start to relate to the characters and enjoy the show more!
acebreathe likes this.
archiguy is offline  
post #58 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
TeeJay1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Makes you wonder , Which is worse, Folks disappearing (The Leftovers) or folks coming back (The Returned)?
TeeJay1952 is offline  
post #59 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Makes you wonder , Which is worse, Folks disappearing (The Leftovers) or folks coming back (The Returned)?
Maybe they can combine them into one show! 'The Leftoverturned'. Or maybe 'The Re-turnovers'.

Last edited by archiguy; 07-03-2014 at 07:30 AM.
archiguy is offline  
post #60 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have joined the disappeared 2%....
TeeJay1952 likes this.
Gandu is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off