post #61 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
A tragedy like this isn't even necessarily unprecedented. The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 killed almost 5% of the world's population, upwards of 100 million people at the time. And in that case, there really were bodies in the streets. When it was over, the survivors rebuilt their lives and tried to put it behind them.
I still think you are drastically underestimating the impact that not knowing what happened would have on people. But that's fine, we just see it differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Makes you wonder , Which is worse, Folks disappearing (The Leftovers) or folks coming back (The Returned)?
I am so confused by all the different versions of the returning shows and which is a remake of what...
post #63 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
I have joined the disappeared 2%....
I shall smoke a cigarette to honor your memory.
Keenan likes this.
post #64 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I shall smoke a cigarette to honor your memory.
Just make sure it's this kind of cigarette, much healthier for you!

post #65 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ True dat!
post #66 of 356 Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Vote yes in the next election!

Bobby 

post #67 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 12:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Doctor Who is involved. So, you are never sure as to what is going to happen next.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #68 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
I still think you are drastically underestimating the impact that not knowing what happened would have on people. But that's fine, we just see it differently.
I don't think not knowing is the only problem, but also that you have no one to blame. All these emotions and not a single thing to focus them on.

But shouldn't the show be full of conspiracy theorists?
post #69 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
This show made me miss John from Cincinnati.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #70 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
This show made me miss John from Cincinnati.
The problem with that show was that too many people missed it when it was on...
Keenan likes this.
post #71 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
The problem with that show was that too many people missed it [JfC] when it was on...
That's true. I loved that show. Although I can't really explain why....

While just as seemingly pointless as this one, JfC was a lot more compelling to me. Maybe it was that whole surfer/beach vibe. I just dug it. But I can understand why it confounded most people. It was intentionally confounding. But endearingly entertaining. The first 5 or 6 minutes of the finale episode is still one of the most thrilling scenes I've ever seen on the small screen. Those who remember it know what I'm talking about.

But I like all Milch's stuff; I'm weird like that. Loved 'Luck', which was probably the most ironically named show ever considering how things turned out.
JohnDG likes this.

Last edited by archiguy; 07-04-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #72 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
But I like all Milch's stuff; I'm weird like that. Loved 'Luck', which was probably the most ironically named show ever considering how things turned out.
The title was "Luck", not "Good Luck". Luck can be bad, too.

True irony would be a show called "Forever" getting cancelled after 2 episodes. In constrast, "Survivor" has seemed to live up to it's name. I'm sure many critics had a "Survivor...Doesn't" headline in their back pocket, just itching to use it of the show had failed...
post #73 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
I don't think not knowing is the only problem, but also that you have no one to blame. All these emotions and not a single thing to focus them on.
I agree with you.

Quote:
But shouldn't the show be full of conspiracy theorists?
I think the world is probably full of conspiracy theorists, but since we're focusing on this relatively small town, maybe we'll hear of a few, but may not see them? IDK.
post #74 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post
And that's how the world became "blessed" with the concept of religion.
archiguy likes this.
post #75 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 01:18 PM

I enjoyed JIC somewhat, but was rooting for its failure anyway - just out of spite. I was bitter about Deadwood and either wanted it to continue, or wanted the rumored spin-off "San Francisco C**ks**k*rs" to get the green light.
post #76 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think it's magnitude of the event, it's the paradox of both certainty and uncertainty resulting. Religion is always been a matter of faith, no evidence, just tons stories, texts outlining rules and points of views. Suddenly, boom! It's an undeniable fact that all these people vanished, there is no longer any doubt that there's more to the world than science.

At the same time everything that everyone knew about religion, the rules specifically, is right out the window. Why this person and not that person. Why one baby and not another baby? It's like everyone's religion gets confirmed and invalidated at the same time.

If you're a Leftover than the issue of religion is no longer a back burner issue because now it's has real world immediate consequences. None of that 'I'll find out many years from now when I die' type thoughts because now this kind of thing could happen at any time. Seriously, it upends thousands of years of living and thinking a certain way about life. I'm actually surprised that the characters haven't flipped out much more.
jandron and crabboy like this.
post #77 of 356 Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
I don't think it's magnitude of the event, it's the paradox of both certainty and uncertainty resulting. Religion is always been a matter of faith, no evidence, just tons stories, texts outlining rules and points of views. Suddenly, boom! It's an undeniable fact that all these people vanished, there is no longer any doubt that there's more to the world than science.
Why? Science is based on the premise that we puny humans *don't* (yet) understand everything about everything.
Keenan likes this.
post #78 of 356 Old 07-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

At the same time everything that everyone knew about religion, the rules specifically, is right out the window. Why this person and not that person. Why one baby and not another baby? It's like everyone's religion gets confirmed and invalidated at the same time.

If you're a Leftover than the issue of religion is no longer a back burner issue because now it's has real world immediate consequences. None of that 'I'll find out many years from now when I die' type thoughts because now this kind of thing could happen at any time. Seriously, it upends thousands of years of living and thinking a certain way about life. I'm actually surprised that the characters haven't flipped out much more.
I like this analysis; kind of articulates my feeling about the behavior of the characters; how they just don't seem to care much about anything. They've had their entire worldview rocked to the core, religious or not. There's nothing left to believe in; not science, and not even religion.
crabboy likes this.
post #79 of 356 Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Given the number of disappearances, someone somewhere would have witnessed it happening in real time.

Or failing that, all the millions of video cameras around, something would have been captured.

Dogs witnessed humans disappearing but no humans did?
post #80 of 356 Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think it would be viewed like that. It's not "more than science", it'd just be like many other discoveries throughout our history, just something new that science has yet to explain. Religion doesn't have "no evidence", there's plenty of historical evidence to support a lot of what is documented - science has explained some, and will probably explain more - there's just some that is taken on faith. Before television, the suggestion that the entire world could witness a single event would have been considered supernatural.

It would be a new discovery that scientists around the world would seek to explain. Religious groups would either seek to fit it to their beliefs, or would simply view it as some unexplainable natural phenomena. And in the US, everyone would blame the policies of the opposing political party for causing the crisis.
post #81 of 356 Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post
I like this analysis; kind of articulates my feeling about the behavior of the characters; how they just don't seem to care much about anything. They've had their entire worldview rocked to the core, religious or not. There's nothing left to believe in; not science, and not even religion.
That's it! It's a show about various forms of nihilism. Because I can't think of a more fascinating theme for a TV show.

This show raises a lot of interesting questions. But if it doesn't make an attempt to supply any interesting answers, I'm probably not going to be interested.

I'd like to get away from the focus on the perpetually-bummed and religiously-desperate, and see a little more about what scientists are doing to try and understand what happened. I was hoping there would be a scientist or two in the main group of actors - there usually is on a show like this - but that doesn't appear to be the case.
post #82 of 356 Old 07-05-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The deer is tame, but dogs are wild.

Dog spelled backwards is god. Deer spelled backwards is red, if you drop an e.

Clearly, the show is an homage to the Game of Thrones deity. Or its the first step in man's best friend's master plan of world conquest, I can't decide. I'm pretty sure a pool of magic water is gonna figure in somehow though.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #83 of 356 Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
And in the US, everyone would blame the policies of the opposing political party for causing the crisis.
The current season of True Blood has been off to a pretty weak start, but the second episode had a great visual gag when the characters drove through a decimated ghost town, and one of the boarded-up buildings had "Thanks Obama!" grafitti spray-painted on it. Because clearly, the vampire apocalypse must the fault of the damned Liberals.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #84 of 356 Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think it would be viewed like that. It's not "more than science", it'd just be like many other discoveries throughout our history, just something new that science has yet to explain.
I'm an atheist, but honestly, this would rock my world. Yeah, I'd still take the scientific approach, but think of how far this is off the beaten path of our beliefs. Aliens maybe? But just like for the believers of religion, this suddenly takes things out of the realm of theoretical and into the realm of our actual world of experience. Yet at the same time we would suddenly realize everything we imagined about other intelligent life is probably pretty far off the mark. If it's just some random natural phenomena, then again it's like 'holy sh*t, the universe is a million times weirder than we imagined!!' This is a far cry from finding the Higgs Boson particle or something like that.
baja7475 likes this.
post #85 of 356 Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

After tonight's episode, I like the show even more, but I'm filled with dread that this show hasn't got a chance of seeing a second season. I can't see this show getting the ratings, and the buzz is mostly just about how depressing it is.
post #86 of 356 Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd like to get away from the focus on the perpetually-bummed and religiously-desperate, and see a little more about what scientists are doing to try and understand what happened. I was hoping there would be a scientist or two in the main group of actors - there usually is on a show like this - but that doesn't appear to be the case.
As I understand it, this will not go in that direction at all. Just the human drama stuff.

Last edited by cavalierlwt; 07-06-2014 at 09:34 PM.
post #87 of 356 Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, this will not go in that direction at all. Just the human drama stuff.
Then they may as well have just written the show about a small town 3 years after they lost 100 people in a hurricane.
post #88 of 356 Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
After tonight's episode, I like the show even more, but I'm filled with dread that this show hasn't got a chance of seeing a second season. I can't see this show getting the ratings, and the buzz is mostly just about how depressing it is.

I'm with the buzz. I can see sort of what they're up to, but the bleakness doesn't exactly make me eagerly anticipate the next chapter.

It's sort of an allegory of middle-class angst in modern America, with people losing jobs or unable to get a spot on the bottom rung of places after college. Not exactly scintillating escapist fare; more like a sci-fi version of what Hitchcock called "kitchen sink" movies.

CW Hinkle
post #89 of 356 Old 07-07-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Then they may as well have just written the show about a small town 3 years after they lost 100 people in a hurricane.
That pretty much misses the point. Which is that these people vanished into thin air and nobody knows where to or why. That screws with people's head in a way that nothing else would. We can assume that forensics teams went over everything and found nothing.

I think we're going to get some more hints about what happened, and the whole dog thing is bound to mean something. Hopefully they give us enough si-fy tidbits to keep us interested.
post #90 of 356 Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
That pretty much misses the point.
Not if they aren't going to address the cause of the vanishing. If it truly just sticks to the human drama of a town that lost some people 3 years ago, then what's the difference?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page