Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #91 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
C'mon folks we already know where the people are. They're on the island and this whole thing is another flashback in Lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have it all figured out. They are all in the toaster oven, he just quit looking after he found the bagel.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #93 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 147
This show is just so dumb and feels like typical recycled made for TV like that Sheet at ABC/NBC/CBS - Not HBO. Was someone stoned when they put the retards in white smoking and can't talk that insists their not a cult? Yeah and bear doesn't crap in the woods. If this is what the world becomes where everyone wimps out the planet deserves to be blown up. Wimp city!

Come on, Spanish Flu 1918, the Plagues, World Wars and the old Popes wiping out half of Europe, Hitler, and Stalin not too mention dozens of dictators and the planet is still turning without a blip. Two Percent wouldn't turn the 98% into crybaby aholes 3 years later - study history folks and this is amateur hour at HBO and subpar HBO and just too bad the producers/writers of this nonsense looneyville weren't in that two percent!

Death is inevitable for everyone and as we age we lose a lot more than two percent and become them but this world moves forward without a hiccup but the side stories in this are ridiculous and so far demo the weakest in Mankind instead of strength and sanity - perhaps if they can't handle it 3 years later they need to eat a bullet instead of slo-mo smoking cig's to suicide.

People mourn, remember and treasure their loved ones but they do not turn into MUSH Puppies WIMPS! The Leftover WIMPS!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 07-07-2014 at 04:51 PM.
post #94 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I want to know more about DKM, nobody seems to see him or know of him other than Garvey, and I guess his daughter now as well. Something weird about that guy.
post #95 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Not if they aren't going to address the cause of the vanishing. If it truly just sticks to the human drama of a town that lost some people 3 years ago, then what's the difference?
If they addressed the cause of why those people vanished then the story would be just another run of the mill "people were swept away in a hurricane" story, it has an explanation as to why they're gone and people are depressed. The point of this story is that these people just vanished, they're no longer there and presumably they aren't anywhere, they're just gone. The story is how we in society deal with something like that, a hurricane - no big deal, people just vanishing - really big deal, because people have not been prepared to handle that. Just like how the dogs are freaking out, this is an entirely new phenomenon in the human experience.

We've all had loved who've passed away, how many of us have had loved ones who just vanished?

Last edited by Keenan; 07-07-2014 at 05:10 PM.
post #96 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
the whole point

I've only seen the pilot (We don't have HBO). I'm going to risk being redundant, but the loss of people itself is not the point.
The questions bothering the leftovers are:
1) What happened?
2) Where did they go?
3) Are they (ever) coming back?
4) Why them?
5) Why not me/us?
6) What does this mean for our conception of reality?
7) More that I'm not thinking of right now.

It's not about the loss; as been pointed out, that happens all the time. 2% is significant, but not world-altering. Most of the world and it's infrastructure remains - this is not an "end of the world story". It's about dealing with the unknown. I once heard that all you have to do to drive someone insane is to prove that everything he knows is wrong. That's the essential story here. Everyone's world view has been jarred and everyone deals with it differently.
If we find about what caused the disappearance, the show would be over.
JohnDG, Keenan, Whitearrow and 1 others like this.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Last edited by crabboy; 07-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.
post #97 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Not if they aren't going to address the cause of the vanishing. If it truly just sticks to the human drama of a town that lost some people 3 years ago, then what's the difference?
The difference is huge when you're grieving for someone close. Not knowing why it happened would drive most people nuts. Apparently it drives you nuts as well.
baja7475 likes this.
post #98 of 304 Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just finished the pilot. I liked it!! The acting was good, the complexity of the relationships is very interesting. Like the t.v. and radio in the back ground of the show said. Plagues and wars wiped out more people then "the day people disappeared", ........but not knowing would drive people into depression and very hard core religion. The animals, is a weird side-story with a lot mystery thrown in that caught my attention.
post #99 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I only have two things to say about this last ep:

1. How did the penguin get 1?
2. Glad the bagel didn't get raptured.
westa6969 and 10aosmer like this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #100 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
If they addressed the cause of why those people vanished then the story would be just another run of the mill "people were swept away in a hurricane" story, it has an explanation as to why they're gone and people are depressed. The point of this story is that these people just vanished, they're no longer there and presumably they aren't anywhere, they're just gone. The story is how we in society deal with something like that, a hurricane - no big deal, people just vanishing - really big deal, because people have not been prepared to handle that. Just like how the dogs are freaking out, this is an entirely new phenomenon in the human experience.

We've all had loved who've passed away, how many of us have had loved ones who just vanished?
I get the premise - but I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't see the appeal when you take away any end game and just focus on the never ending grieving process. At the core, the personal loss and the "why them" questioning doesn't change whether it's this vanishing, an alien abduction, or a kidnapping. You still lost someone close for seemingly random unexplainable reasons. The only way they could differentiate the vanishing compared to any other loss is to delve into the vanishing itself - and apparently they are not going to do that.

If this show is about watching people grieve, it's just not my cup of tea. I'll stick with Walking Dead to get my fix on how society will change/react to a devastating apocalyptic event.
post #101 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Other than two shows(GoTs and Carnivale), I've never been able to fully commit to any HBO show, even the ones raved about as the best things ever on tv. That's puzzled me, and I've only been able to come up with some vague reasons why, which would probably get me flamed if I stated them. So all I'll say is that while watching the pilot of this I had the thought that this show is the perfect example of why I don't like so many HBO shows. All style, little substance.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #102 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post
Other than two shows(GoTs and Carnivale), I've never been able to fully commit to any HBO show, even the ones raved about as the best things ever on tv. That's puzzled me, and I've only been able to come up with some vague reasons why, which would probably get me flamed if I stated them. So all I'll say is that while watching the pilot of this I had the thought that this show is the perfect example of why I don't like so many HBO shows. All style, little substance.
Why would you get flamed? Its your opinion. Just because you happen to be wrong doesn't mean you should get extra flack for expressing yourself.

post #103 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The vision is so narrow and tunnel like in this story as it's examined in small town America with zero global scope and more of a micro peek at a macro event.

Did 2% just occur in Religious communities or include predominant atheists areas like N. Korea - three yrs later it should have been able to remove events that were Secular, Religious, or just Science Fact or Theory. It's almost as if this author hijacked Stephen Kings Maine Town yet we have a global event.

Surely, there would be some joyful people to see some cheating ex's, bosses, politicians, Congress, Justin Bieber, Kardasians, Kanye West, Donald Sterling, et al - GONE!

Have you ever sat through a really bad movie just to see if it gets worse? This is one of those events with this series and too bad SNL is not in season to tackle this nonsense! Parody field day!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 07-08-2014 at 10:03 AM.
post #104 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
The most important revelation in the second episode is that this show officially has the worst opening credits sequence on television. It's insanely cheesy.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #105 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok .. It "seems" the crazy Father of the chief can just perhaps see & hear people that other's can't, & thinks his son has the same "gift" .. so ...
Is the Dog-killer guy one of the "vanished", a real leftover person, or some 3rd group ?
Did the Father really know the Dog-killer visited his son?
Did the dog killer really give the Sherrif a $33K new pickup truck?
Did the Daughter & friend really see the Dog-Killer?
Were the burnt bagels really the ones from the same morning?
post #106 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
2. Glad the bagel didn't get raptured.
I thought that was funny. Disappearing bagels, what's next? Missing socks, lost keys?
post #107 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I get the premise - but I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't see the appeal when you take away any end game and just focus on the never ending grieving process. At the core, the personal loss and the "why them" questioning doesn't change whether it's this vanishing, an alien abduction, or a kidnapping. You still lost someone close for seemingly random unexplainable reasons. The only way they could differentiate the vanishing compared to any other loss is to delve into the vanishing itself - and apparently they are not going to do that.

If this show is about watching people grieve, it's just not my cup of tea. I'll stick with Walking Dead to get my fix on how society will change/react to a devastating apocalyptic event.
I suspect Walking Dead is probably half responsible for this show being aired, the new trend and HBO just trying to pile on, I've only seen the first episode, but I'm not sure how long I can watch, if the way it is, is the way it is going to be, I doubt I'll make it that far, at least Walking Dead has zombies, at least I can relate to how people are going to react and it seems to bring out more conversations among friends who watch the show and lively debates about what we thought about how such and such reacted to things. Shane was a great one for debate, this show I don't know about, I'll probably wait a couple or three more shows and try to give it a good run one weekend and see how it strikes me.
post #108 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I suspect Walking Dead is probably half responsible for this show being aired, the new trend and HBO just trying to pile on, I've only seen the first episode, but I'm not sure how long I can watch, if the way it is, is the way it is going to be, I doubt I'll make it that far, at least Walking Dead has zombies, at least I can relate to how people are going to react and it seems to bring out more conversations among friends who watch the show and lively debates about what we thought about how such and such reacted to things. Shane was a great one for debate, this show I don't know about, I'll probably wait a couple or three more shows and try to give it a good run one weekend and see how it strikes me.
You beat me to it. This show seems like some network execs from NBC got together and did a kitchen soup thing copying from other shows:
  • Lets thrown in some religious cult stuff
  • Focus it in one little community to save production costs
  • Add some teenagers
  • We can save money by rotating characters so nobody gets more than a few episodes
  • Have lots of people who don't talk so we don't have to pay them
  • Show babies disappearing because that will get the mothers
I think next season they should have a show where all the addictive drugs including tobacco magically disappear from the world and everybody goes crazy because they can't get a fix.
post #109 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I thought that was funny. Disappearing bagels, what's next? Missing socks, lost keys?
So I wasn't really getting senile? It was just god having a little fun with me? Where did I last put Gary Busey? Damn!

post #110 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the first 2 episodes recorded on my DVR and have too many other shows on my queue and I found myself passing on it. After reading the reviews and the various comments here, I decided that this is not the show I wanted to commit my time to..... I have decided to erase them.
post #111 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnetop View Post
I had the first 2 episodes recorded on my DVR and have too many other shows on my queue and I found myself passing on it. After reading the reviews and the various comments here, I decided that this is not the show I wanted to commit my time to..... I have decided to erase them.
Wouldn't it be ironic if the episodes were missing from your DVR?
Tack and daryl zero like this.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #112 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm not saying I like the show, not yet anyway and maybe never, I just understand what they are doing with it, at least as explained by the showrunners themselves. They've said there will be no explanation as to why they disappeared and I believe them 100% given the particular showrunner involved, Lindelof. He's pretty much screaming it out that there won't be any answers to this show, quite possibly due to the backlash from Lost, he wants it out front right from the beginning.

That said, I think I'll watch it some more to see how it goes, and given that it's HBO and likely only 10 episodes anyway I will probably catch all of them in fact.
post #113 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
That said, I think I'll watch it some more to see how it goes, and given that it's HBO and likely only 10 episodes anyway I will probably catch all of them in fact.
That's how I feel too. I'll probably catch them all no matter what, but I think it would be a more interesting show (to me at least) if the search for the cause of the disappearance was the prime focus, with the sociology aspect and all that doom & gloom relegated to a secondary role.
Keenan likes this.
post #114 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I'm not saying I like the show, not yet anyway and maybe never, I just understand what they are doing with it, at least as explained by the showrunners themselves. They've said there will be no explanation as to why they disappeared and I believe them 100% given the particular showrunner involved, Lindelof. He's pretty much screaming it out that there won't be any answers to this show, quite possibly due to the backlash from Lost, he wants it out front right from the beginning.

I'm paying for HBO so I'm going to watch it and the last season of True Blood.

I skipped Penny Dreadful and slogged through Californication and Nurse Jackie.

I could not bother. Certainly have a lot of Blu Rays and so on. But I'll give it some chance, though I'm no fan of DL.
post #115 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I'm paying for HBO so I'm going to watch it and the last season of True Blood.

I skipped Penny Dreadful and slogged through Californication and Nurse Jackie.

I could not bother. Certainly have a lot of Blu Rays and so on. But I'll give it some chance, though I'm no fan of DL.
I thought Penny Dreadful was excellent, Eva Green deserves the Emmy for best actress in my opinion.
archiguy and ss9001 like this.
post #116 of 304 Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Why would you get flamed? Its your opinion. Just because you happen to be wrong doesn't mean you should get extra flack for expressing yourself.

So, I say I don't like something, and you say I'm wrong. So that means I did like it?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #117 of 304 Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
I skipped Penny Dreadful
and you missed an excellent one, very well acted but especially worthwhile just for Eva Green's performance I'd highly recommend a rent or buy when it comes out on Blu.

Steve
post #118 of 304 Old 07-09-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I have mixed opinions on Leftovers, 2 eps in. The premise is certainly Lost-like and drama & performances are good. My only gripe is the typical portrayals of bratty teens who are either smoking dope, skipping classes, acting like jerks or otherwise pursuing sex, drugs & R/R No non-screwed up normal daughters or sons shown so far. I find the teen angst BS that gets played over & over again in shows like this ( also The 100), boring & irritating. just like I do in real life

I'd also like to see more of the mysterious backdrop explored and I'd like more details and explanation of why the goofy cult exists in the 1st place.

Other than that, I'd good with it and will continue watching the whole season.

I'm concerned this will be end up being another Lost. even if it goes several seasons, what is their end-game. Lost painted itself into a corner and we all know it ended with a lot of unsatisfied Lost fans. I loved the show but really disliked the ending.

Steve
post #119 of 304 Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I skipped Penny Dreadful....
Quote:
I thought Penny Dreadful was excellent, Eva Green deserves the Emmy for best actress in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001
...you missed an excellent one, very well acted but especially worthwhile just for Eva Green's performance I'd highly recommend a rent or buy when it comes out on Blu.
I put off watching Penny Dreadful till had a few episodes in the DVR- truthfully by it's description it didn't seem very interesting... but boy was I wrong! It was absolutely riveting and I agree w/Keenan and SS9001 that Eva Green deserves the Emmy for best actress!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #120 of 304 Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I have mixed opinions on Leftovers, 2 eps in. The premise is certainly Lost-like and drama & performances are good. My only gripe is the typical portrayals of bratty teens who are either smoking dope, skipping classes, acting like jerks or otherwise pursuing sex, drugs & R/R No non-screwed up normal daughters or sons shown so far. I find the teen angst BS that gets played over & over again in shows like this ( also The 100), boring & irritating. just like I do in real life
I agree- there's just really no reason to toss in the teen angst- it just wastes time.
Otherwise, the rest is pretty interesting. Let's see what the prophet guy is up to with his most important Asian girl... I'm guessing he's a Charles Manson type with cooky ideas and dangerous followers... including the police chief's naive son.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page