Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #121 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
+2 on the annoying teen angst element. A complete waste of time.
Keenan and Manamb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I have mixed opinions on Leftovers, 2 eps in. The premise is certainly Lost-like and drama & performances are good. My only gripe is the typical portrayals of bratty teens who are either smoking dope, skipping classes, acting like jerks or otherwise pursuing sex, drugs & R/R No non-screwed up normal daughters or sons shown so far. I find the teen angst BS that gets played over & over again in shows like this ( also The 100), boring & irritating. just like I do in real life

I'd also like to see more of the mysterious backdrop explored and I'd like more details and explanation of why the goofy cult exists in the 1st place.

Other than that, I'd good with it and will continue watching the whole season.

I'm concerned this will be end up being another Lost. even if it goes several seasons, what is their end-game. Lost painted itself into a corner and we all know it ended with a lot of unsatisfied Lost fans. I loved the show but really disliked the ending.
I approached this show right from the beginning with the the realization that any explanation of "the why" would never happen, if it does, great, but I'm not looking for or expecting it. We've been warned, I've acknowledged that warning and so I won't be disappointed in that respect.

If the stories within the story stay interesting enough, the Chief, DKM, Holy Wayne and to a degree the cigarette smoking idiots, if those stories maintain my interest then the show's a "winner" for me.

Plus, I'm paying for it so I have to extract some sort of value for my monthly fee!
Ph8te likes this.
post #123 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I put off watching Penny Dreadful till had a few episodes in the DVR- truthfully by it's description it didn't seem very interesting... but boy was I wrong! It was absolutely riveting and I agree w/Keenan and SS9001 that Eva Green deserves the Emmy for best actress!
That was my initial reaction as well, the description of the show didn't really grab me, I thought it was going to be some sort of schlocky horror/slasher series, but after seeing the first episode I was sold. I actually re-signed up for Showtime because of PD.
post #124 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Supposedly a character played by Chris Eccleston this coming week will be interesting.

And that raid of Wayne's compound, with them shooting unarmed concubines of Wayne, will become important in later episodes.
post #125 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Supposedly a character played by Chris Eccleston this coming week will be interesting.

And that raid of Wayne's compound, with them shooting unarmed concubines of Wayne, will become important in later episodes.
Eccleston's character has already been in the first 2 episodes, he's the preacher who has lost his faith, telling anyone who'll listen that many of those that got "raptured" didn't deserve it, handing out flyers about their "unholy" deeds. We saw him at the memorial in the first episode and then again when the girls passed him on the street just before they trailed the insurance woman who lost her whole family. Eccleston's a very good actor so hopefully his story within the story will interesting as well.
post #126 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Nice to see a Dr Who get another gig He should make a good whacked out preacher.

On Wayne, it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out where I've seen the actor before. After a google, it was an "oh yeah" moment...the BBC 2008 Survivors remake! Patterson Joseph played one of the main characters, Greg Preston. Really liked that show, too & sorry it didn't get renewed for a 3rd season. After watching the remake, I bought the DVD set of the 70's original & watched it. Hard to pick one over the other, tho. Enjoyed both. They were similar but still different takes on characters & storylines.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.
post #127 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I thought Penny Dreadful was excellent, Eva Green deserves the Emmy for best actress in my opinion.
Amazing how such a beautiful actress can look so sexy in one scene, and be the spitting image of Gollum in another - and act accordingly, and convincingly, in both situations.
post #128 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Next week's preview showed only scenes with Chris Eccleston.

Did they shoot girls? I thought they were only shooting the men. Some were armed and I noticed a lot weren't. Very murderous of them.

The preview of the pilot showed Wayne and the chief's son in the bedroom scene. I thought they were a gay couple based off that. Of course, that is not the case, but that's what I got out of the preview, before the show was released.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #129 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Amazing how such a beautiful actress can look so sexy in one scene, and be the spitting image of Gollum in another - and act accordingly, and convincingly, in both situations.
What is she Dr. Jekyl?

Can you get this show outside of a showtime subscription?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #130 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Yes indeed, it really is amazing, she is incredibly talented.
post #131 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Did they shoot girls? I thought they were only shooting the men. Some were armed and I noticed a lot weren't. Very murderous of them.
They ran through the place shooting the hell out of everyone for no reason at all. The ATF guy who cornered the Asian girl was cartoonishly psycho. Not sure what the point of any of that was.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #132 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
They ran through the place shooting the hell out of everyone for no reason at all. The ATF guy who cornered the Asian girl was cartoonishly psycho. Not sure what the point of any of that was.
I didn't understand any of that either, the whole sequence was just bizarre.

OTOH, it's not that unlike how many of our now more militarized police forces are starting act on occasion. Maybe it was some sort of sledge-hammered political statement from the writer(s).
post #133 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

We didn't get all of the story, but the siege was what was being discussed in the opening scene. They basically said he's a cult leader and likes underage girls. They considered him a threat once they found he had armed guards as well. The eradicate them was a little jarring, but not surprised as once they started firing it wasn't going to stop till the end.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #134 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
On Wayne, it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out where I've seen the actor before. After a google, it was an "oh yeah" moment...the BBC 2008 Survivors remake! Patterson Joseph played one of the main characters, Greg Preston.
He's been in a lot of UK stuff. Sometimes he's very, very good, sometimes he chews the scenery right off the wall. I thought he was pretty dreadful in Jekyll, and he overacted in his Dr Who episodes, too.
post #135 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I believe the bagel scene is telling us that there will not be any mystical or unexplained events going forward in the series.

Following along that logic, the dog killer is real and his dad is simply hearing voices that are not there.

Jdg
post #136 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's possible that the bagel will show up at the back of the frig next to some day old turkey and stuffing and that's the "leftovers" that they're really talking about.
Josh Z, Ph8te and 10aosmer like this.
post #137 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnetop View Post
I had the first 2 episodes recorded on my DVR and have too many other shows on my queue and I found myself passing on it. After reading the reviews and the various comments here, I decided that this is not the show I wanted to commit my time to..... I have decided to erase them.
Seem like a good move on your part. It is doubtful it will get a second season or get any better at this point. If it does manage to turn the corner and get a season two you can always catch up in a few days of binge watching.

Like others have said, 2% is such a small number that nothing really should have changed. In fact, 1% of the world population dies each year anyway. If this happens every 3 years, it is still less than that. Why would this change anything? You don't know when your numbers up in the first place.

Also, why is the new sheriff's family so screwed up? They have appeared to lose no one. Son is at Hug Cult, wife at GR, daughter being a moody bitch and he is now Sheriff. I get that he was cheating on the wife and his girlfriend vanished while he was banging her, but get a grip.

The only thing interesting about this show is why they disappeared, which they have specifically said they would not address. My guess is that it is actually the 98% that have been transported to an alternate earth and 2% have been left behind. Every 3 years, they bring another 2% back to the original earth.

Last edited by sytech; 07-09-2014 at 05:48 PM.
post #138 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I'm not convinced the Dog guy is real yet. The acknowledgement from the daughter is a sort of wrench, but I'm still not 100% convinced. The girls never even looked at the guy, I don't think.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #139 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I'm not convinced the Dog guy is real yet. The acknowledgement from the daughter is a sort of wrench, but I'm still not 100% convinced. The girls never even looked at the guy, I don't think.

They glanced, but that was it. They also had to walk around him. Her acknowledgement (unless hallucinated) I believe confirmed that he is real.

post #140 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
They glanced, but that was it. They also had to walk around him. Her acknowledgement (unless hallucinated) I believe confirmed that he is real.
Not only that, but she took the beer from him to put into the fridge. Kinda hard to do if he didn't exist.
Ph8te likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #141 of 356 Old 07-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Well the reason I still don't believe is his father. Whoever he is talking to, maybe this same thing is going on with the chief.

Or it could be a Tyler Durden situation. I'm 95% convinced he's real, from those reasons you guys posted. But that last 5% is going to come if there's another scene with someone besides his family interacting with him.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #142 of 356 Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Not only that, but she took the beer from him to put into the fridge. Kinda hard to do if he didn't exist.
I don't believe that beer was real.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #143 of 356 Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I watched the pilot finally.

I don't understand why the town people attacked the GR. They're stupid and annoying, but they're not doing anything threatening. Heck, the Westboro Baptist nuts who picket funerals are much more noxious (and not mute, I presume), and I don't recall violent confrontation connected with them. Americans understand the first amendment and have high tolerance for wackos as long as they're harmless.

If the only drama they can drum up is false drama, it does not bode well.

Where are the people who are happy their miserly relatives are gone and want them declared dead so they can inherit the money? Where's the list of terrorists and dictators mercifully gone? Shouldn't there be more conspiracy nuts?

The town has one black person and she's the mayor? Sure that could happen... on a tv show. (I know Wayne is black but from his accent, he must be a from out of town)
post #144 of 356 Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait now because she the "only" (not known) black women she couldn't be mayor? Or maybe she was mayor or in a seat of power before the event...that's some close minded thinking.

Who's to say there are people not happy that certain people are gone! Also as far as comment about insurance that's pretty much described in episode 2.

post #145 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I don't understand why the town people attacked the GR. They're stupid and annoying, but they're not doing anything threatening.
... besides stalking people.
post #146 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 01:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I don't believe that beer was real.
Then it must have been "lite" beer that the daughter took to the fridge.

Oh, and the truck in the driveway, that everyone sees, doesn't exist either.
Ph8te likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #147 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
... besides stalking people.
and all of them chain smoking cigarettes

Steve
post #148 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Wonder if Philip Morris provided some discreet, under-the-table funding for this show?
post #149 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
the showrunners need to get William B Davis in the cast. his lungs are already shot

plus add the ultimate conspiracy theory
Ph8te likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-11-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #150 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^
the showrunners need to get William B Davis in the cast. his lungs are already shot

plus add the ultimate conspiracy theory

His services have been "retained" for Continuum.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page