Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Then it must have been "lite" beer that the daughter took to the fridge.

Oh, and the truck in the driveway, that everyone sees, doesn't exist either.

You guys are disregarding what all the other characters have said. Only the chief was seen shooting dogs. The truck driver was never seen by anyone else. It's in HIS driveway, with a dead dog that he has been seen killing. Also a dead dog in his patrol car trunk.

Why would a person give away a $30k vehicle? This guy just drives around without tags only to kill dogs.

I'm not 100% on either side of this argument, I'm just making a case for all the evidence against his existence.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Nobody saw the Chief kill the dogs either. The events had no witnesses. Only the chief has owned up to being there though...

Bobby 

post #153 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
You guys are disregarding what all the other characters have said. Only the chief was seen shooting dogs. The truck driver was never seen by anyone else. It's in HIS driveway, with a dead dog that he has been seen killing. Also a dead dog in his patrol car trunk.

Why would a person give away a $30k vehicle? This guy just drives around without tags only to kill dogs.

I'm not 100% on either side of this argument, I'm just making a case for all the evidence against his existence.
As I noted earlier, I'm not convinced this guy exists either, the only interaction he's had with anyone is the Chief, and now his daughter. I don't even think he was "seen" at the bar when the Chief ran out to chase him down.
post #154 of 356 Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Nobody saw the Chief kill the dogs either. The events had no witnesses. Only the chief has owned up to being there though...
I thought either the mayor or deputy said someone saw the chief shooting when they arrived at the scene.

Edit: it was the shrink scene. The shrink was reading the report of the dead dogs and chief, but no one saw him shooting I guess.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Last edited by Yrd; 07-11-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #155 of 356 Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
and all of them chain smoking cigarettes
Their smoking is a visible demonstration that they believe there is no long term future, thus no need to worry about cancer. It's a pretty silly way to make their point.

Imagine if they chose to demonstrate this belief by constantly having unprotected sex with random strangers. Recruit a few more women who look like Liv Tyler and that would be a cult with some serious growth potential!
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #156 of 356 Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Given the number of disappearances, someone somewhere would have witnessed it happening in real time. Or failing that, all the millions of video cameras around, something would have been captured.
I tend to doubt that even Damon Lindelof saw any of them vanish, either. And the book is just as vague. I suspect there's going to be no satisfying ending for this show, leaving viewers... uh... lost.
post #157 of 356 Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Tonights episode was an unbelievably bad move by the showrunners. This show is already slow moving to start with, and I think many people were giving it a grace period in hopes of it picking up steam at some point. To just go off on a side story for the whole episode like this and not advance anything seems like a suicidal move at this point.

Lost used to do this all the time, but we were already deeply hooked and invested in the show (smoke monster, hatch, numbers, etc). The timing of this type of episode just couldn't be worse. I predict a massive ratings drop for the 4th episode.
Marc Wielage and OggideM like this.
post #158 of 356 Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
waste an hour to show what could be done in 5 minutes.

raise more questions

answer none.

DIAF Lindelof.

Done with this dumpster fire show

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #159 of 356 Old 07-13-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Sad that people are blaming Lindelof when it's the source material that is not going to give the answers they want.

As far as the episode goes I thought it was wonderfully done. The emotional impact is much deeper when we focus on one person and see their "story". This is not a side story, but a thread of an entire tapestry. We have seen the tapestry for the past two episodes, and we will continue to see the tapestry throughout the season. The threads however allow is to see a much more detailed of the "why" people act the way they do.

If people are looking for answers to what happened to those that have disappeared then they have ignored all of the posts and interviews that have said this won't happen as it doesn't in the source material. This is about what happens to those are left behind and how they deal with the loss.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #160 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
Tonights episode was an unbelievably bad move by the showrunners. This show is already slow moving to start with, and I think many people were giving it a grace period in hopes of it picking up steam at some point. To just go off on a side story for the whole episode like this and not advance anything seems like a suicidal move at this point.

Lost used to do this all the time, but we were already deeply hooked and invested in the show (smoke monster, hatch, numbers, etc). The timing of this type of episode just couldn't be worse. I predict a massive ratings drop for the 4th episode.
Agreed. This was a bad time for a filler episode with some Twin Peaks inspired weirdness for no reason. The only thing that was of interest to me was it seems like the people that were taken were the 2 extremes. Either really good people like innocent children and the Pope, or rotten people that beat their kids and Gary Busey. Anyway, I am out after this episode. To many other terrible sci-fi/mystery shows to watch like Under the Dome and Falling Skies.
post #161 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
waste an hour to show what could be done in 5 minutes.

raise more questions

answer none
It answered some questions from here last week... like whether the government compensation thing was real or a scam. Clearly real.

We found out a lot of other information. Nora and Matt are brother and sister. Their parents died during a fire when they were kids. Matt is married and his wife was severely injured during the departure. Matt and the chief's father have some kind of relationship. Matt also knows Laurie, at least well enough that he could identify her to Patti if he chose. Matt either is or thinks he is getting messages from somewhere (he thinks God, who knows). The GR evidently thinks he's ready to crack.

Traditional mainline Christianity has clearly lost many of its adherents since the departure. And from what we saw/heard it was emphasized again that not all of the departed were saints or innocents.

The "secondary effects" of the departure -- not losing immediate family members -- were emphasized, again totally contradicting the "it was only 2 percent, what's the big deal?" argument. No, Matt's wife didn't disappear -- but she was permanently and catastrophically injured, and his livelihood has apparently disappeared too. He's surely not the only person who's life has changed in a huge way since the departure without actually losing anyone (if you ignore his niece, nephew and brother in law).

I thought it was a well-done episode and Eccleston was great. Having more than one POV in a show like this is valuable.
Keenan and Ph8te like this.
post #162 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Not feeling it after 2 episodes, maybe ill check back at seasons end.
But for now in this time slow the DVR is loving The Strain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #163 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I forgot to mention the title of this episode, which I thought was great. "Two Boats and a Helicopter."

Also, the picture on the bedroom wall was Job.
post #164 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

A good write up on last nights episode http://t.co/qUFL22X3Ms

post #165 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I really liked this episode, easily the best of the 3 so far.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #166 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Sad that people are blaming Lindelof when it's the source material that is not going to give the answers they want.
There's always the conscious choice by the producers to veer away from the source material when they want to. Last year, the producers of Under the Dome did what I thought was a terrific job making a decent TV show out of a terrible novel. They added a lot of twists and turns to Stephen King's story and fleshed it out quite a bit, and (to me, anyway) made it a lot more interesting.

But this season, it's kind of fallen apart and is treading water. Still, it shows that it's possible to take an idea and merely use it as a springboard for a TV series and go into far different areas. Unfortunately, I think the problem with a show that's about a massive mystery -- "why did 2% of the world's population vanish?" -- is that if you never provide some clues towards an explanation, it leaves the viewers frustrated and perplexed. I don't see this as a valid premise.

I'm not saying you have to spoon-feed every explanation about every literal plot-point, but I do think you can't leave people hanging about the big picture. All the reviews of this show indicate to me that it's a downer and it's unsatisfying, and the ratings indicate people are not happy about it. I got better things to do with my time.

But... I credit HBO for trying something different, and the initial premise is a very interesting idea. I prefer the ABC show Resurrection, where dead people suddenly come back in a small town. That's another show where they've taken a novel and then veered quite a bit from the initial premise, plus they're at least giving us a few clues as to the truth about the mystery. The most intriguing thing about the show to me is, if you take one of the "returned" dead people and kill them again, another copy of them pops up all over again elsewhere! (With clothes, because this is TV.) The only explanation that makes sense is that an alien is cloning everybody for nefarious reasons. Philip Jose Farmer's 1970s Riverworld sci-fi novel series had a similar premise, and I think that would actually make a much better series.
post #167 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The Leftovers on HBO

If I go in knowing there won't be answers to what happened, then the path they are following doesn't upset me. I don't need to know why or what they've done to try to figure out what happened. That's not what this show is about. To me at least it's how people would deal with the sudden loss of loved ones and those that they know. Not to mention all of the things that have butterflied from the event. Taking the why out of the plot also allows users to focus on the who (who's left, who disappeared). I actually think it's refreshing to see them focus on the people story instead of the mystery angle.

As for UTD I watched it for 3-4 episodes before giving up on the bad acting and writing of the show. I mostly stuck around that long because a friend was watching it at the same time. For Resurrection I think I'll stick with the original series

Maybe it's because I don't need a happy angle and that in all of this gloom of a show there are pinpoints of light if you look.

JohnDG likes this.

Last edited by Ph8te; 07-14-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #168 of 356 Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Well, us lucky few that enjoy the show, get to hear (for the next couple weeks) about all the people that can't get past the mystery, or the doom and gloom. Then we will be left with the people that want to discuss the contents of the show.
Ph8te likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #169 of 356 Old 07-15-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Well, us lucky few that enjoy the show, get to hear (for the next couple weeks) about all the people that can't get past the mystery, or the doom and gloom. Then we will be left with the people that want to discuss the contents of the show.
I'm sure both of you will have plenty to talk about.

post #170 of 356 Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
This episode reminds me of everything I dislike about Lindenlof's work. He throws in every mystical concept you can think of (and probably 10 times more that haven't been caught) into a jumble and gives you emptiness. Matthew seems like a puppet on a string of a very naughty and mischievous god. Someone is having fun at the expense of a pathetic puppet. Everything folds back on itself and yet we get nowhere. It was obvious from the beginning that the GR were buying the church. It was obvious that everything Matthew did would get him nowhere.

To me, this story ultimately is a parable about what we're going to see on this show. A bunch of treadmill running.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #171 of 356 Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I liked it but if he does the same thing with Lost, where they throw in one of these character-focused episodes right when they start getting momentum on the main plots it comes across as a delaying tactic.

So how the hell do the chain smokers come up with $135k in cash to buy the church? The cigarettes must be a fortune and they had several homes. They're not working for a living, because most employers wouldn't put up with their chain-smoking, non-communcating asses. Plus they're too busy stalking people.
post #172 of 356 Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Considering that all have lost someone, I would think that at least a portion of them have donated funds to the "cause" from insurance payouts.

As for the character focused episodes from that I hear there may be only 1 more of these types of episodes left.

post #173 of 356 Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well we know the "departure" will not be explained. They've said as much in interviews.

I suspect all the other mysterious stuff like the dog shooter and Wayne won't be resolved in any satisfying manner, either. Because in the end, it's all about the characters, not the plots or mysteries. It's like Chekov, yo!
post #174 of 356 Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The biggest problem I have with the show is that they seem to have missed a plot. Yes I understand that the disappearance acts like a McGuffin and it will never be explained. But other shows at least had a plot that actually pushes the story forward.

Twin Peaks, X-files, Lost, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones they all have something that makes me want to watch the entire show.

So far with this show I haven't really found a reason other then if I watch one more episode maybe I will find a reason.
post #175 of 356 Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
They lost my wife and I on this last episode, too freakin boring.
post #176 of 356 Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

How did Matt come to choose red as the bet? I know why the table was chosen, but I must have missed the reason for red.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #177 of 356 Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Pigeons on the Red light when he was driving to the casino.

post #178 of 356 Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Pigeons on the Red light when he was driving to the casino.
What would he have picked if they were ravens or crows sitting on the red light?

What if he saw a sign for a "No Passing Zone"?

What if the road were Route 7?

So many choices on where to place your voodoo money....

Ph8te likes this.

post #179 of 356 Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
What would he have picked if they were ravens or crows sitting on the red light?

Red for fire of course

Luckily for roulette they made it "easy" just pick the color

post #180 of 356 Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well he needed to place it on the winning color or else the episode wouldnt had the same ironic ending.
Ph8te likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page