The Leftovers on HBO - Page 9 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #241 of 356 Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Well... another outstanding hour of emotional sadomasochism, kicked off by a full depiction of a wicked woman being stoned to death. Joy To The World!

Apparently, it took 13 stones to end Gladys’s misery. Not that I counted myself. No, this reviewer did that for me, while creating for posterity a stone by stone description of HBO’s depiction. Ya gotta love the internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
I gotta agree with good ole Dog Shootin' Dean, I think the GR did the stoning. I can't help but notice when Gladys was getting murdered, the people doing it didn't utter a word. If it was pissed off townies doing this out of anger or hatred, I would expect them to be all worked up and to be hurling words along with those rocks. Waaaay too silent for an angry mob.
Excellent point, and you’re the first I’ve seen pick up on it.

More than that, though, I thought Gladys’s nod to Patti in the opening scene indicated Gladys was in on it, so the murder was really a sacrificial rite, not a hate crime. Which explains the pause and hesitancy on the part of the rock throwers when she broke her vow of silence and asked them to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Renaissance deco, not Rapture really. There was an article a page or two back that discussed the title sequence. Per the article it was meant to capture the pain/anguish of those "left behind".
In contrast to the apparent orgasmic euphoria of those floating up into the heavens and away from their anguished families.

And that imagery doesn’t suggest Rapture to you? Really?!?

(Btw, do you have a link to that article? Because I didn’t find it looking back at the thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNelson View Post
During the chief's call to the AFTEC
ATFEC, not AFTEC.

As in, our Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, plus Cults.

Quote:
They may be slightly bigger, but from what we can see now they are local only.
The GR are not local. The ATFEC agent referred them as “those nuts”, and in the previous episode, two white clad smokers handed a pamphlet to Tommy at the bus stop is TX or some place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post
Well, we now know the dog shooting guy isn't a figment of the chief's imagination.
Do we? Do we really know that any scene featuring Chief Garvey isn’t a figment of his imagination?

This week’s reality vs. delusion internet controversy, brought to you by People Who Watch Television Frame By Frame, centers on the call from ATFEC Agent Kilaney, because PWWTFBF pointed out that when the call came in, the phone displayed “Agent Kilaney AFTEC” [sic] while later in the call it displayed “UNKNOWN”.

Some see production errors, others see clues, and still others see DL getting his jollies provoking weekly reality vs. delusion internet controversies, in lieu of presenting coherent stories.

For those interested in how much of what’s on screen is coming from DL, as opposed to Perrotta’s book, here’s an interesting comparison:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/32886...ally-different

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
I don't really care about the "great mystery" of this show
I don’t find much of anything to care about in this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I'll say this much for Lost: the first season was really exciting and intriguing and there were no annoying teens.
I think the annoying teens are the best part of this show. Chief’s daughter Jill is far and away the sanest and most normal major character, and by a smaller margin, I also find her the most likable, or maybe I should say, least dislikable.

Quote:
Zealot that he is, the reverend actually behaves like a human being. His sister is the only woman on the show who can break a smile. I rather have more of them. The third bottle episode was actually the best because it didn't have much to do with the dumb cult and the people's dumb reaction to them.
Next week’s episode apparently centers on Nora, and the preview alluded to “The Matrix”, so maybe it won’t be another start to finish hour of emotional sadomasochism. Maybe.

More likely, though, it will be an hour dedicated to making her character as dark and dreary as everyone else on the show, as so far, the show’s overall mission seems to match the GR’s.

I can hardly wait.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 356 Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Wasn't the sheriff jogging in the opening of the series? Kind of hard for him to shoot a dog without using a gun.
post #243 of 356 Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
Well... another outstanding hour of emotional sadomasochism, kicked off by a full depiction of a wicked woman being stoned to death. Joy To The World!
And people thought the last season of Shameless was depressing.... This thing's got it beat by a mile.
Gotta love the drunk police Chief driving out to buy more beer...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #244 of 356 Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This is my favorite episode after the one about the priest. So much interesting stuff, and a lot of earlier debates/questions put to bed.
Ph8te likes this.
post #245 of 356 Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Still not a fan of a whole episode covering one person, but it was pretty good being that it was about Nora. Interesting character, very good actress. Still though, they know how to push the buttons don't they? The sight of her continuing to stock her childrens favorite foods was heartbreaking.
post #246 of 356 Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 931
I watched this last night. Another enjoyable episode plus it provided more insight into people's reactions since the disappearance.
Ph8te likes this.
post #247 of 356 Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
Still not a fan of a whole episode covering one person, but it was pretty good being that it was about Nora. Interesting character, very good actress. Still though, they know how to push the buttons don't they? The sight of her continuing to stock her childrens favorite foods was heartbreaking.
I agree as well about not being a fan of a whole episode covering one person.

But still good episode though.
post #248 of 356 Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I'm in the camp that thinks the best eps are the single ones (reverend Matt and sister Nora). What a relief to get away from the grim smokers.
post #249 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Seven days since the last post? Not a good sign...

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #250 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Still enjoying the show next week looks like they might up the action so we might see more posts. This show is prime for delayed viewing however so the few people that do watch may not watch same night.
post #251 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post
Seven days since the last post? Not a good sign...
It happens sometimes. People will love the show but don't comment in the thread. Not that much to discuss maybe?

But yeah, a bad sign indeed
post #252 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally figured out the actor who plays grandpa is Scott Glenn. Haven't seen him a while.

Glenn is such a compelling presence that I find it hard to believe that the sheriff resists hearing anything he has to say. Since there is no credible rational explanation for the departure, you may as well see if your voice-hearing psyche ward patient dad might know something. Look at his eyes, those are not crazy eyes. He looks rational to me. Why didn't the voices just tell grandpa to ask the sheriff to find a copy of the magazine? Just amuse your father, okay? But no, we have to go through the BS melodrama of him breaking out and assaulting people and vandalizing property, because acting violently crazy is how you convince people to do things.

This show is frustrating. It is technically well done and they have a compelling premise and some good ideas. But they don't trust their material and keep throwing out stuff to punch up false drama. Like earlier they hinted maybe dog guy was imaginary, then uh no never mind he's real, but hey maybe he's partially imaginary. The sheriff knew his daughter and her friends took the baby Jesus, but instead of just telling her damnit I don't have time for this crap, give it to me, he ran all over town tracking it down. They also withhold info from the audience to keep things "mysterious" and "suspenseful." The problem is it's hard to be emotionally invested in ciphers.

Take the GR. I still have no freaking idea what is the point of this group. Maybe later it'll be revealed that they fit into some larger picture, but right now they're just annoying not just to the other characters but to the viewer, because their motivation is totally opaque. WTF do they want. In one ep, the old lady says people are mad at us because we want them to remember something they'd rather forget. Really? Because almost everything and everyone else seems to be stuck on what happened. The kids are playing death games and rituals, the adults are in one cult or another or in psyche ward. The ones who are semi functional got their hands full dealing with the ones who aren't. They don't need a cult to make them remember, they need a cult to tell them to move the eff on. Even more amazingly, nobody else in the show has bothered to ask them WTF do you want? What do you think you're accomplishing?

So when you have a GR being brutally stoned, it doesn't have the emotional impact of say, a major character being killed on GoT because you hardly know or care about what's her name, don't know who killed her or why. It was shocking only on a graphic level. Ooh look we're on HBO we can do this kind of "brave" edgy stuff and dare people to keep watching.
post #253 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Take the GR.

Please.

<ba-dum-dum>
Ph8te likes this.
post #254 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I'm watching, still. Just nothing to comment about.

The GR does confuse me. What is their ultimate purpose? They smoke because they don't care? Do they want to die faster? So what's the problem with the stoned lady, she's dead, your goal is met.

They want people to be emotionless robots? Forget the missing people, but their entire existence negates that idea.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #255 of 356 Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I wonder if they'll string along the mystery of the GR -- what they're about, how Laurie got involved with them, etc. -- for a season like they did the Dharma Initiative or The Others.

Then drop it.
acebreathe likes this.
post #256 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Show Renewed for a 2nd season.
JoeTiVo, aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
post #257 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Sweet!!! It seems like my Summer shows are having better luck than my regular season shows did. I guess HBO will get me to subscribe again next year for this show since it was renewed.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #258 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I understand this is "dark" sci-fi? Which is the kind I usually like, but know next to nothing about the show. Noticed over the weekend it was being marathoned, but didn't watch. Now that I know this is a Lindleoff vehicle, I'm reeaaalllly hesitant to watch...
acebreathe likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #259 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 918
It ain't for everybody (definitely wasn't for me...). But there's no sci-fi in it beyond, perhaps, the disappearance itself which the producers are completely uninterested in exploring. But the characters are really depressed. Chances are you will be too.
post #260 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
I understand this is "dark" sci-fi? Which is the kind I usually like, but know next to nothing about the show. Noticed over the weekend it was being marathoned, but didn't watch. Now that I know this is a Lindleoff vehicle, I'm reeaaalllly hesitant to watch...

I wouldn't classify this as scifi at all. It's more of a drama with a small (minuscule) scifi element that starts everything off. Besides the opening scenes it's an all drama based show.
post #261 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 119
But there are mysteries in the show, like what are the GR about, why do they recruit the people they do and why do people join?

Or more important still, why are they spending so much time on the GR, like Lost spent on Dharma and The Others, which turned out not to be big deals.
post #262 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
But there are mysteries in the show, like what are the GR about, why do they recruit the people they do and why do people join?

Or more important still, why are they spending so much time on the GR, like Lost spent on Dharma and The Others, which turned out not to be big deals.

Mysteries does not equal scifi I wouldn't even classify it as mystery as that casts the wrong tone. These are just unanswered questions that may or may not get answered.

I think people need to break away from the Lost/Lidelof connection. Sure he does a lot of Scifi this is just not one.
post #263 of 356 Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't classify this as scifi at all. It's more of a drama with a small (minuscule) scifi element that starts everything off. Besides the opening scenes it's an all drama based show.
Yeah, “miniscule” as in Planck scale, incapable of being actually viewed. All the science in this show disappeared along with the 140 million people, and calling this sci-fi is like calling Pat Robertson’s ideas about natural disasters scientific theories.

And I thought the opening scenes were as dramatic as any in the show, so no need for the exclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
My question is why are they still on the street, and not in jail or wearing ankle bracelets?

Seriously, DL has put the GR on the wrong side of the law in a way that the book did not – at least according to what I read on the internet; didn’t read the book myself – and yet, not made them anywhere near menacing or threatening enough to warrant ATFEC’s Final Solution, so they really no sense at all, like so much else in the show.

The show is as ridiculous as Under the Dome, only far more pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Darn, and here I was hoping the volcano articles in that NG issue foreshadowed a giant volcanic eruption in the season/series finale, that would put the residents of mopey Mapleton out of their misery, as we saw them all consumed by FIRE, until there was nothing left but ASH!!!

But alas, it looks like another season of misery for mopey Mapleton.

Oh well.
Machuran likes this.
post #264 of 356 Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Mysteries does not equal scifi I wouldn't even classify it as mystery as that casts the wrong tone. These are just unanswered questions that may or may not get answered.

I think people need to break away from the Lost/Lidelof connection. Sure he does a lot of Scifi this is just not one.
I wouldn't say sci-fi mystery, more along the lines of religous mysteries (Rapture and Cults) as well as personal in how those left behind are left to deal with the event 2 years later
Ph8te likes this.
post #265 of 356 Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
I wouldn't say sci-fi mystery, more along the lines of religous mysteries (Rapture and Cults) as well as personal in how those left behind are left to deal with the event 2 years later

I hope the questions (regarding the GR) are answered at least in part. We've had a few inklings about how they recruit and select those they watch. They want people to remember when everyone is trying to move on which they see as "forgetting". I look forward to seeing more solid character episodes as those seem to be the best of the season so far and had the most impact.
post #266 of 356 Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Rather than sci-fi I'd classify it as a drama dealing with one or more paranormal events/situations.
post #267 of 356 Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

Seriously, DL has put the GR on the wrong side of the law in a way that the book did not – at least according to what I read on the internet; didn’t read the book myself – and yet, not made them anywhere near menacing or threatening enough to warrant ATFEC’s Final Solution, so they really no sense at all, like so much else in the show.

The show is as ridiculous as Under the Dome, only far more pretentious.

Oh well.
Yeah what's up with that. I mean seriously, I know the govt has done plenty of shady things what's with the NSA and all, but this just goes into 911 truthers territory. Aside from having possibly killed one of their own, why are they being treated like al Qaeda. The GRs HAVE committed b&e and vandalism, but the mayor and sheriff don't seem too interested in investigating or prosecuting that, or investigating the horrific murder for that matter. Too busy with stolen dolls and rampaging grandpa, I guess. Bring in Molly from Fargo!
post #268 of 356 Old 08-15-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah what's up with that. I mean seriously, I know the govt has done plenty of shady things what's with the NSA and all, but this just goes into 911 truthers territory. Aside from having possibly killed one of their own, why are they being treated like al Qaeda. The GRs HAVE committed b&e and vandalism, but the mayor and sheriff don't seem too interested in investigating or prosecuting that, or investigating the horrific murder for that matter. Too busy with stolen dolls and rampaging grandpa, I guess. Bring in Molly from Fargo!

I wouldn't say 9/11 at all. Their treatment seems to be that of a cult and the govt has a long history of "dealing" with those.
post #269 of 356 Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 61
OK, so I watched an ep (#7, I think). Found it somewhat interesting, but think I'll stop it right there. Can't shake the feeling I'm being strung along and investing in this'll just turn out to be a waste of time. If reviews are still strong after the final curtain (a la BB, I may come back to it.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #270 of 356 Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
OK, so I watched an ep (#7, I think). Found it somewhat interesting, but think I'll stop it right there. Can't shake the feeling I'm being strung along and investing in this'll just turn out to be a waste of time. If reviews are still strong after the final curtain (a la BB, I may come back to it.

I don't think we'll see you back here BB this is not and I don't think ever will be. They have been upfront so there is nothing to "string along".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page