AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   The Leftovers on HBO (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1578002-leftovers-hbo.html)

baja7475 06-24-2014 10:55 AM

The Leftovers on HBO
 
Starts June 29th. I will check it out since it's not an (occu-drama)

http://www.hbo.com/the-leftovers#/

WilliamR 06-24-2014 11:31 AM

I am having trouble getting past the whole concept that 2% of the population vanishes. Yet 98% of are called leftovers. Seems like a massively large population still going about their business every day. Not much of an impact to me. I know it translates into a lot of people but man something about it I can't get past.

slowbiscuit 06-25-2014 10:25 AM

Looks like it's going to be a seriously 'lost' series, so to speak:

http://grantland.com/features/hbo-th...lost-lindelof/

I'm in for a watch but if it's as depressing as the review indicates, might not stick around.

gwsat 06-25-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbiscuit (Post 25253834)
Looks like it's going to be a seriously 'lost' series, so to speak:

http://grantland.com/features/hbo-th...lost-lindelof/

I'm in for a watch but if it's as depressing as the review indicates, might not stick around.

Andy Greenwald's Grantland piece about The Leftovers, to which you posted a link, convinced me to at least give the show a try. Greenwald indicated that it is unremittingly dark, so if it gets too ugly I may give up on it, in the interest of preserving my mental health. :)

ss9001 06-26-2014 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbiscuit (Post 25253834)
Looks like it's going to be a seriously 'lost' series, so to speak

that's what I thought watching a preview discussion on HBO, a Lost clone. I'm in anyway.

Wytchone 06-26-2014 07:56 AM

Why only 2%? Seems that many may be killed in a year or less. now 20% would have had a major impact!

Guess ill watch and see.

bobby94928 06-26-2014 10:47 AM

140 million people is nothing to sneeze at.... ;)

Josh Z 06-26-2014 11:11 AM

Perhaps it's 2% at a time, and another batch of people will vanish later.

Wytchone 06-26-2014 11:12 AM

True but in a world of 7 or 8 billion people unless in on place it has no major impact overall. Just wondering how they came up with 2% is al.

Wytchone 06-26-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 25283985)
Perhaps it's 2% at a time, and another batch of people will vanish later.

Now that would be worth watching!!

WilliamR 06-26-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wytchone (Post 25278809)
Why only 2%? Seems that many may be killed in a year or less. now 20% would have had a major impact!

Guess ill watch and see.

2% vanish at the same time all over the world, not over a year.

Keenan 06-26-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wytchone (Post 25278809)
Why only 2%? Seems that many may be killed in a year or less. now 20% would have had a major impact!

Guess ill watch and see.

2% would be about 3 times the normal world-wide yearly death rate, something that would be quite noteworthy. These people disappeared, which would certainly be cause for world-wide interest if not outright panic.

Whitearrow 06-26-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wytchone (Post 25284001)
True but in a world of 7 or 8 billion people unless in on place it has no major impact overall. Just wondering how they came up with 2% is al.

I disagree. It's not just the number, but the fact that nobody knows how or why it happened, or if it will happen again. It would upend religious faith, rock the idea of a scientific basis for the world and how it works, spawn conspiracy theories the likes of which we've never seen, and totally, utterly upset the notion of the predictability of the future. No more "we're born, we live, we die." Well, maybe not.

IMO it wouldn't matter if it were 1 percent. It would still be a devastating global event with major long-term impact, both foreseeable and not.

barth2k 06-26-2014 07:49 PM

Unfortunately, it does not look like it's going to be dealt with in a realistic way, as in what would the world be like if this did happen. Rather, it's just going to be a bunch of people in a small town moping around and being depressed.

What worries me is they plan this as a multi season show, not a limited series like Fargo or True Detectives. With Lindelof involved, get ready for character flashbacks, endless mysteries, years of intrigue followed by frustration, and finally when boredom finally sets in, a face palm of a finale.

gwsat 06-27-2014 10:42 AM

I am about to read the Tom Perrotta novel, upon which the series is based. Will post my spoiler-free impressions later.

Keenan 06-27-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwsat (Post 25310329)
I am about to read the Tom Perrotta novel, upon which the series is based. Will post my spoiler-free impressions later.

Thanks, I would definitely love to hear your thoughts. Like you I read the Grantland piece on this and it just seems like a drawn out, slow moving, dreary show to me. But, it's HBO so I will watch the first one and then see how I feel.

Keenan 06-27-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barth2k (Post 25296961)
Unfortunately, it does not look like it's going to be dealt with in a realistic way, as in what would the world be like if this did happen. Rather, it's just going to be a bunch of people in a small town moping around and being depressed.

What worries me is they plan this as a multi season show, not a limited series like Fargo or True Detectives. With Lindelof involved, get ready for character flashbacks, endless mysteries, years of intrigue followed by frustration, and finally when boredom finally sets in, a face palm of a finale.

That's my initial impression of it as well, and if so, I'll likely pass on it.

John Mason 06-27-2014 01:39 PM

A review in today's NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/ar...ref=television

gwsat 06-27-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mason (Post 25315601)

That was an interesting NYT piece, thanks for the link! Alessandra Stanley, the critic who wrote the piece, ended up with positive feelings toward the show but still had some reservations. She observed that one of show's creators, Damon Lindelof of Lost infamy, has questionable credibility with her, as he does with so many of us. I guess we'll find out.

becasehuans 06-28-2014 07:10 AM

good,Like you I read the Grantland piece on this and it just seems like a drawn out, slow moving, dreary show to me. But, it's HBO so I will watch the first one and then see how I feel.thanks [IMG]http://*******/xGWw1O[/IMG]

SMHarman 06-28-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwsat (Post 25310329)
I am about to read the Tom Perrotta novel, upon which the series is based. Will post my spoiler-free impressions later.

I enjoyed the book and Joe College and Little Children.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

gwsat 06-28-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 25332226)
I enjoyed the book and Joe College and Little Children.

Haven't read either of those Perrotta novels but have seen the Todd Field film, Little Children, a couple of times. Thought it was terrific, particularly Jackie Earle Haley's riveting performance. There is a lot to think about in the film. I just hope that The Leftovers approaches that level of excellence. I have started the novel, Little Children, but haven't read enough of it yet to get much of a feel for where Perrotta is going with the story.

gwsat 06-29-2014 04:09 PM

I have now finished Tom Perrotta's novel upon which this series is based. At first, I didn't know what to make of the story, even after I finished reading the book, but after thinking about it for a while I think I get what Perrotta was doing. Much of it is straight faced black comedy, which finds a lot of targets. If any of you read Perrotta's Election or saw the wonderful 1999 film of the same name, starring Reese Witherspoon, you'll know what I mean. All in all, the novel was smart and thoughtful, although perhaps a bit too sly for its own good. Will be interested to see what the screenwriters have done with it.

Snickering Hound 06-30-2014 08:02 AM

What a miserable, mopey show. Does HBO even have programmers that watch what they put on anymore?


Just think. THIS is what is going to replace True Blood on HBO.

wco81 07-01-2014 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwsat (Post 25318633)
That was an interesting NYT piece, thanks for the link! Alessandra Stanley, the critic who wrote the piece, ended up with positive feelings toward the show but still had some reservations. She observed that one of show's creators, Damon Lindelof of Lost infamy, has questionable credibility with her, as he does with so many of us. I guess we'll find out.

The thing I worry about is that it's based on a single novel so Lindelof would fill in the rest and make a lot of stuff up, especially if the series lasts several seasons.

The pilot raised a lot of questions. They better start filling in the answers right away instead of stringing viewers along for several seasons.

wco81 07-01-2014 12:26 AM

Hmm, not seeing too much black comedy. Certainly the cults are rife for mocking but they seem to be played straight.

The chief's family is intact yet every member is in anguish of some type. Very humorless so far.

archiguy 07-01-2014 04:30 AM

After watching the pilot, I have no idea where this show is going. If they don't revisit and focus on the mystery of where, why, and how these 140 million people disappeared, I can't see it holding my interest. If it's just going to be an exploration of grief and coping with loss, how some folks deal successfully with it and how others fall apart, it's not going to be "my kind of show". Black humor would help, but so far there's been nothing along those lines. Just unrelenting gloom.

I watched LOST for the cool mysteries backed by plausible pseudoscience they kept introducing. If I had know how it was all going to turn out, however, I never would have tuned in and spent those first 5 years thinking it was the greatest thing in the history of TV. I know I'm not alone in that view, Mr. Lindelof.

I have no intention of reading the novel on which this show is based, but let me ask those who have (gwsat?), does the disappearance mystery get solved? Is that the eventual focus? You can put it in spoiler tags or PM me if you want. Because if every week is just a downer like the pilot with no light at the end of the tunnel, I'm probably not going to stick with it. My own life is depressing enough. :o :p

daryl zero 07-01-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 25401530)
I have no intention of reading the novel on which this show is based, but let me ask those who have (gwsat?), does the disappearance mystery get solved? Is that the eventual focus? You can put it in spoiler tags or PM me if you want. Because if every week is just a downer like the pilot with no light at the end of the tunnel, I'm probably not going to stick with it. My own life is depressing enough. :o :p

Hey. No discussions of the books. I want to be pure as the driven snow so stop this right now!

Wait, wrong thread. Sorry. Carry on.

gwsat 07-01-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 25401530)
I have no intention of reading the novel on which this show is based, but let me ask those who have (gwsat?), does the disappearance mystery get solved? Is that the eventual focus? You can put it in spoiler tags or PM me if you want. Because if every week is just a downer like the pilot with no light at the end of the tunnel, I'm probably not going to stick with it. My own life is depressing enough. :o :p

Perrotta's novel
Spoiler!


I have decided to not watch the show because the extensive tattoos (real ones) on the actors respectively playing the police chief and his son, so took me out of the drama that I decided to give up early. There is no judgment there, only a realization that I was personally too turned off to go on with the show. Despite my own choice not to watch further, I think the show has a chance to be good otherwise and hope that those of you who stick with it end up happy with your decision to do so.

wco81 07-01-2014 12:00 PM

So that's the actor's tattoos, not the characters'?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.