• 1 Post By Arvy

post #1 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The Escape Artist on Masterpiece Mystery

If you want to see one of the hands down scariest psycho-sexual serial killers, don't miss this one. It's a three(two?)-parter, and it's for sale as a Blu-ray as well. We'll be seeing more of Toby Kebell in the future.

It's extremely disturbing, I would think especially for women who live alone. You have been warned.

CW Hinkle

Last edited by Shaded Dogfood; 06-26-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Our PBS HD channel was off air for some reason during the 1st part. I didn't know it until I went to watch the dvr...bummer. PBS doesn't have it for streaming, so its good to here its on blu-ray. Huge Tenant fan here-he was great in Broadchurch.
ltownsend likes this.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #3 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Overall I thought it was good however I thought Part Two went downhill. Part One played very nicely with Part Two turning it into been there done that... I viewed the episodes back to back and I could easily notice the difference in (lack of) interest. It went from an original work of art to a print within a matter of moments.

For me the whole revenge arc played like a Movie of the Week.

Last edited by Charles R; 06-26-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I thought it was a very well done, 2-part, summer fill. Just the right level of "ickiness" to make my wife uncomfortable.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Despite the preposterousness of a serial killer getting off in not just one but two murder trials, I ended up damn near loving the series. I thought the way Our Hero,Will Burton, managed to take justice into his own hands, kill his wife's murderer, and get away with it was inspired. The icing on the cake was Will's jealous fellow barrister, Maggie Gardner, confronting Will with what she thought would be the evidence that would expose him and his calmly proving to her that she was wrong again.

I agree that Tony Kebbell, who played the serial killer, Liam Foyle, was chillingly convincing.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I really loved it.

"He's allergic to Limpets?"

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another high point for me was the stricken look on Maggie's face when, after she had told Will that a second autopsy probably would reveal a pronounced indication of an anaphylactic reaction on the victim's thigh, Will told her that would work if the hypothetical body she was talking about hadn't been cremated. As the scene shifted to Foyle's hapless girlfriend holding the urn containing Foyle's ashes, I could almost hear Maggie thinking, "Curses, foiled again!"
post #8 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
man, I hope this shows up on Netflix or Prime...or the BBCA...you guys are really making me want to see it RIGHT NOW!!!

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #9 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another great Masterpiece production. Captured, like others, with Arri's Alexa digital-cinema cameras. According to imbd.com they used a 2k digital intermediate. The cameras deliver less than 3k (for down-conversion), but seem to be favored because, among other features, they offer excellent-contrast images. Watched one local PBS for part 1, then another PBS ran parts 1 and 2 back to back the following Sunday. While imdb says there are three parts, it seems PBS merged them by running 1.5 hours each for two parts. Clever revenge ending, with clues about why they were digging for mollusks at the ocean shore with a special knife. -- John
post #10 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Another great Masterpiece production. Captured, like others, with Arri's Alexa digital-cinema cameras. According to imbd.com they used a 2k digital intermediate. The cameras deliver less than 3k (for down-conversion), but seem to be favored because, among other features, they offer excellent-contrast images. Watched one local PBS for part 1, then another PBS ran parts 1 and 2 back to back the following Sunday. While imdb says there are three parts, it seems PBS merged them by running 1.5 hours each for two parts. Clever revenge ending, with clues about why they were digging for mollusks at the ocean shore with a special knife. -- John
I agree that the cinematography was excellent. As is usually the case with British TV, the talent of the ensemble cast was impressive. As always, David Tennant was excellent and we have already discussed here Toby Kebbell's brilliantly creepy performance as Liam Foyle. I also thought Sophie Okonedo was wonderful as the eminently hatable Maggie Gardner.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Myself and coworkers really liked this but we all thought the ending wasn't as good as it could have been. Still well worth a watch and like all recent BBC productions the picture quality was top notch!
post #12 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Another high point for me was the stricken look on Maggie's face when, after she had told Will that a second autopsy probably would reveal a pronounced indication of an anaphylactic reaction on the victim's thigh, Will told her that would work if the hypothetical body she was talking about hadn't been cremated. As the scene shifted to Foyle's hapless girlfriend holding the urn containing Foyle's ashes, I could almost hear Maggie thinking, "Curses, foiled again!"

The look on Will's face was of certain superiority, like, "you silly person, do you not realize that I have already thought of that and mitigated it? I have thought of everything!" The look on her face it seemed to me was an "He beat me again," sentiment. That scene was very well acted.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched Kick-Ass 2 today and was surprised to see Monica Dolan in it. In The Escape Artist, Dolan played Liam Foyle's doofus girlfriend, Eileen Morris. It really is a small world! Also, there is a new Endeavour Morse mystery on Masterpiece Mystery tomorrow night.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The series was indeed originally three parts and really needed to be seen as three parts.

Or, if you saved the PBS airings in order to watch both back-to-back, the breaking up of part 2 wouldn't have been bothersome.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #15 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for bringing this up. I'm enjoying it at 2/3 watched. Disturbing is correct but real life drama also. It reminds me of "The girl..." series by Stieg Larsson.
ltownsend likes this.

Arvy
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page