Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I find them on the side of the bus or subway platform.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Correct, but if people keep cutting the cord then the internet only prices will continue to go up.

Why do you consider it a blackmail fee? If Netflix is chewing up a huge chunk of the bandwidth, then why should people who have Comcast but not Netflix have to pay for it?
Because Netflix offered them alternatives like putting Netflix hardware inside their network to serve the most popular content and they rejected thia solution.

Imagine if UPS turned to Amazon and said you are sending us to many packages we will have to start billing your customers to receive the packages.

post #33 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Because Netflix offered them alternatives like putting Netflix hardware inside their network to serve the most popular content and they rejected thia solution.

Imagine if UPS turned to Amazon and said you are sending us to many packages we will have to start billing your customers to receive the packages.

Strange that you should use that analogy. Don't you remember how Amazon and UPS failed last Christmas?
post #34 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

A link to the Netflix delivery appliance.

http://www.intequus.com/why-intequus...-case-studies/

https://www.netflix.com/openconnect/hardware

post #35 of 40 Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The cable co's are going to get their $$ one way or another.
There may be a time in between the changing tides (like right now and maybe for a few more years) where we can save a few $$ by cutting traditional cable TV services and replace them with streaming services from our existing cable broadband account. But the cable co's are experts at milking every penny from their customers and nobody knows better than them where their revenue is coming from and which service is declining and which is growing. If my cable co is getting $130/month from me for TV and internet (and hundreds of thousands of other customers like me) does anyone think they'd just sit still when half of their customers cancel TV service and just use their internet service? Of course not, eventually the $50/month broadband service would be $130/month and old fashioned TV service will be priced out of existence.

Maybe the best example of the above was when our electric supplier was near max generating capacity and continuously urged all it's clients to conserve.. conserve.. conserve... they beat the phrase like a drum for years. Once LCD/LED TV's CFL/LED lights and Split Unit AC's and other energy efficient appliances replaced the old energy hogs... the utility raised the rates claiming that income had dropped too much because of conservation methods!
Like I said... they'll get their $$ one way or another...
slowbiscuit likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."

Last edited by replayrob; 07-08-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #36 of 40 Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Why do you consider it a blackmail fee? If Netflix is chewing up a huge chunk of the bandwidth, then why should people who have Comcast but not Netflix have to pay for it?
Because Netflix already pays for their bandwidth. They pay a boatload of money, in fact. Trust me, you don't want their bandwidth bill.

Comcast simply wants more money to not throttle them.

But, to take your example, why should every Netflix customer have to pay more even if they don't use Comcast? BTW, that's exactly what is happening.
post #37 of 40 Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
There may be a time in between the changing tides (like right now and maybe for a few more years) where we can save a few $$ by cutting traditional cable TV services and replace them with streaming services from our existing cable broadband account. But the cable co's are experts at milking every penny from their customers and nobody knows better than them where their revenue is coming from and which service is declining and which is growing. If my cable co is getting $130/month from me for TV and internet (and hundreds of thousands of other customers like me) does anyone think they'd just sit still when half of their customers cancel TV service and just use their internet service? Of course not, eventually the $50/month broadband service would be $130/month and old fashioned TV service will be priced out of existence.

Maybe the best example of the above was when our electric supplier was near max generating capacity and continuously urged all it's clients to conserve.. conserve.. conserve... they beat the phrase like a drum for years. Once LCD/LED TV's CFL/LED lights and Split Unit AC's and other energy efficient appliances replaced the old energy hogs... the utility raised the rates claiming that income had dropped too much because of conservation methods!
Like I said... they'll get their $$ one way or another...
Much of your cable tv bill is effectively pass through billing. They take say $50 off you and send $7 to Disney / ESPN / ABC, $3 to Fox and so on. You dropping CATV does not impact revenue as much as turnover.

You dropping CATV impacts the broadcaster more as they get your fee plus more money from advertisers for more eyeballs.

There was a great example in the UK when Sky One (owned by the Sat broadcaster) was dropped by the cable companies due to loss of licence and failure to renegotiate. Sky lost millions because of this. No fees from the cable co and a bag of hurt from lower ad rates. They had just paid lots for exclusive first run rights to LOST as well to add to their pain. The final lesson they learned was customers are sticky. Their grand plan was to get you off cable onto Sat but most just watched other channels instead.

post #38 of 40 Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
All this talk about who is responsable for high cable TV prices is great, but I'd like to see more input and ideas related to the thread topic.

As an end user, not only do I not care who is to blame, the reality is, I am very limited in what I can do about it.

I can complain to my cable co., but the majority of customers will not, so it is very likely my cable co. will simply offer me a two or three months discount and hope I will shut up. My issue with cable prices is that I am forced to pay for a package of 40 or 50 channels, even though I may only watch 3 or 4 of them. I have read rumors that it is the cable TV channels that require local cable co's to do this: say for instance FX tells Comcast, "ifyou want to carry FX, you must package it with FXX and whichever other channels they offer.

Assuming this is true, I DON'T CARE! I don't deal with FX. I deal with my cable co. In fact, were I to write an email to FX, I'm certain they would pass the blame on my cable company, explain what a deal I'm getting, or simply ignore me. And in reality, most customers are not going to be contacting FX. I'm using FX as an example because when they launched FXX, they moved Always Sunny In Philly to it, and my cable co. put FXX in a tier I didn't get, effectively removing that show from what I was paying for and asking me to pay even more if I wanted to continue watching it. They did something similiar with BBCA and Orphan Black.

Cutting back or eliminating the TV portion of my bill sends a message in a language these companies understand (the only form of communication they care about). Sure, my cable co. may raise my Internet bill. But I won't be paying for something I'm not using. And FX won't be getting any of it.

If enough people do this, maybe eventually companies like FX will stop their stupid inconsiderate practice.

Now, let's help each other find something good to watch!

Last edited by leebo; 07-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #39 of 40 Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
This is exactly right due to the sad state (i.e., lack) of meaningful broadband competition in this country. Comcast is already phasing in a 300GB data cap, charging $10 per 50GB used over that limit every month. Most reasonable folks know it has nothing to do with excessive use and everything to do with keeping the money stream going when people cut cable. This nonsense would not exist if we weren't run by these corporations, and so the FCC/Congress would either mandate open access (separating HSI side of the house from content, i.e. dumb pipes) or reclass HSI as the public utility that it is. We don't need 3 or 4 companies stringing fiber in cherry picked locations, we need one that is regulated just like your electricity and that provides access to everyone.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 07-08-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #40 of 40 Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
All this talk about who is responsable for high cable TV prices is great, but I'd like to see more input and ideas related to the thread topic.

As an end user, not only do I not care who is to blame, the reality is, I am very limited in what I can do about it.

Now, let's help each other find something good to watch!

I posted some ideas in post 29 . There is currently only a fairly small amount of new programming that is being produced for NetFlix, Yahoo, etc. rather than for the traditional television distribution outlets.

On the other hand, if you're interested in old shows instead of new stuff, there are several diginets that are available OTA and cater to the nostalgia impulse ( MeTV, AntennaTV, GetTV, Cozi, etc.).

Last edited by veedon; 07-08-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page