3Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 121
How Do Cord Cutters Find New Shows?

So if you've cut the cord, how do you hear about new shows on channels other than the broadcast networks?

I'm talking about cable shows that you can see streamed (like the Bridge), or even HBO/Showtime/etc. that can be viewed other ways (Amazon Prime is now streaming several HBO shows).

Many good shows are not advertized on the broadcast networks. You can stumble accross some, once they end up on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, but most of the new shows I try out I pick due to a promo I've seen. Is there a source for TV show trailers?

Since I hope to cut down to just basic cable, I'm hoping to stream a lot more. I suppose I could skim this section of the forum more often, but I'm sure there are many shows I currently watch that I might not ever try if I only read about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Haven't cut the cord, but we are streaming far more programming than we get via satellite. The bulk of programming are foreign shows. There's a tremendous selection of foreign English speaking dramas available - and if you can get used to subtitles, there's even more quality programming available to stream.

I only bring up the foreign shows because when you Google "Best foreign dramas", if you don't typically watch them, chances are you haven't seen any of them. With domestic shows, you've probably seen the majority of shows that will make any Top 25 list.
post #3 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
So if you've cut the cord, how do you hear about new shows on channels other than the broadcast networks?
As OTA (only) for the last several years good shows are like good movies... they come to the top and find you to a large degree. Streaming services are beginning to create (and promote) their own content such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. The moment you view something they recommend shows you may enjoy as well based on your viewing habits.
post #4 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I monitor this forum section, usually there's plenty of pre-show chatter for new series from SHO, HBO, etc....
If I like what I read- I'll check it out, if not... I only wasted a few min reading about it here.

As to how some of us get those shows... don't ask/don't tell!
slowbiscuit likes this.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #5 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I monitor this forum section, usually there's plenty of pre-show chatter for new series from SHO, HBO, etc....
If I like what I read- I'll check it out, if not... I only wasted a few min reading about it here.

Yes, or else you might have to kill me. Ha ha!
Anyway, good answers. Thanks everyone.

So it never occured to me to Google "top 25 tv dramas". Guess it's worth a try.
Think that will work with Disney shows? My sister is mentally disabled, and a Disney channel junkie. She learns of new shows almost exclusively through the Disney channel. I know Netflix has a deal with Disney, but unlike Amazon, Netflix doesn't do trailers.

Oh, and I almost forgot about another source: ask friends. Although at my age, I have few friends, and most don't really watch much TV.
post #6 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I too get tips to new shows via reading this forum. For foreign stuff I'm on groups where they are folks in Europe who talk about their new shows.
post #7 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Same!

Right here, in this HDTV Programming Forum, more on the HOTP one, great thread to follow.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #8 of 40 Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I agree: the "Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information" thread is a great one to subscribe to and follow, as is this forum in general.

I am not a cord cutter, but I do try to keep an eye open for possible good shows. Some places I look (besides this forum) include:

New Netflix discs: http://dvd.netflix.com/NewReleasesGa...ASED_LAST_WEEK (good to check weekly, typically on Mondays the list has been updated)

New Netflix streams and discs: Hacking Netflix. There is usually a new post each Monday.

Sometimes Netflix will recommend discs that turned out to be good (that is how I discovered Doctor Who) and sometimes the "Additional titles like ____" on a Netflix movie page will show an occasional gem. (I think that is how I found out about Paycheck, a far more thrilling sci-fi movie than the title sounds like.)

Released, in development, and still in conception stage for science fiction books, TV shows, movies: Sci-Fi Magazine (published every other month). This is how I discovered Minority Report and the first of the Mission: Impossible movies.

Sometimes weekly, sometimes every other week, another source of TV shows is TV Guide.

Sometimes someone on Netflix_Addicts (Yahoo Groups) will recommend a very good movie.

And of course discs often come with trailers. (Trailers? Why are the commercials on the leaders called trailers? Once a long time ago these clips for other movies trailed the main feature ... until the theaters realized that people were leaving during the closing credits and most never saw the trailers, so they moved the clips to before the main feature, but the name "trailers" stuck.)

Of course not all shows or movies are available to me the time I come across their names, so I keep a list of such movies and shows in an Access database and will check for the availability of the titles periodically.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #9 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lot's of good tips. Thanks!
post #10 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What exactly is a "cord cutter"? If a person decides to cancel the cable TV subscription and use an antenna for OTA viewing but decides not to stream anything from the internet, is that person a "cord cutter", or is that person just an old-fashioned, fuddy duddy cheapskate?
post #11 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
What exactly is a "cord cutter"? If a person decides to cancel the cable TV subscription and use an antenna for OTA viewing but decides not to stream anything from the internet, is that person a "cord cutter", or is that person just an old-fashioned, fuddy duddy cheapskate?
Typically, a "cord cutter" is someone who is fed up with paying $100-$200/month just for cable TV and is willing to try OTA/streaming, season DVD sets, etc...
I wouldn't label them a "fuddy duddy cheapskate"... more like people who may have better uses for their hard earned money. Similar to people who moved from a 20mpg daily commuter car to a 50+mpg Prius. They still go to the same job every day, still use the same roads, still bring home the same paycheck... they've just found a way to save thousands per year on gasoline.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #12 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
What exactly is a "cord cutter"?
Typically it means someone who has decided to cancel "pay TV" (cable or satellite).

Usually that person will use an antenna for local stations, and might or might not subscribe to streaming service(s) and make use of disc rental services like Netflix (in the US they do have a disc plan) and Redbox.

Many "cord cutters" just cut the TV service but keep broadband Internet so they can stream content at a high enough rate to get decent video quality.

Some people are "partial cord cutters", having reduced their cable or satellite plan and viewing the cut content by some other means. (This is more like what I did: I cut out the premium movie channels and subscribed to Netflix in July 2002 to their disc plan, no streaming back then, and on the mostpart I haven't missed the premium movie channels. I did it initially for budget reasons, but I found it more convenient since it's nice to get content when I feel like viewing it, instead of when some executive thousands of miles away had arranged for it to air.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

I had the impression that "cord cutter" was referring to streaming via Wi-Fi, with the cable "cord" being "cut" and replaced with Wi-Fi.

You know, just plain old OTA still involves a cord, a coaxial antenna cable!

And even if you're going to do streaming, wouldn't it be better to use a "cord" (an Ethernet cable along with an HDMI cable or whatever combination of cords you can use to get the internet from the wall into the TV).

I'm not so sure that this wireless business is all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited by veedon; 07-04-2014 at 04:26 PM.
post #14 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Typically, a "cord cutter" is someone who is fed up with paying $100-$200/month just for cable TV and is willing to try OTA/streaming, season DVD sets, etc...
I wouldn't label them a "fuddy duddy cheapskate"... more like people who may have better uses for their hard earned money. Similar to people who moved from a 20mpg daily commuter car to a 50+mpg Prius. They still go to the same job every day, still use the same roads, still bring home the same paycheck... they've just found a way to save thousands per year on gasoline.
I think you misunderstood me. I think being a fuddy duddy cheapskate is a badge of honor! I was suggesting that maybe if you're going to cancel cable TV, you should just go all the way and just get by with what is freely available over the air (no NetFlix, no Roku streaming, nothing but an antenna and a TV set and maybe an OTA DVR).
David Susilo likes this.
post #15 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I think being a fuddy duddy cheapskate is a badge of honor!
I'm not sure I can relate to fuddy duddy, but I'm good with cheapskate!
In any case, I should get high honors from you... I recently traded in my thirsty 75mpg Prius Plug-In for a 2014 Volt, I have 5'000 miles on it and have used a total of 3.8 gal of gas since I bought it back in March of 2014!

post #16 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I can relate to fuddy duddy, but I'm good with cheapskate!
If you want to know what I mean by fuddy duddy cheapskate, think of Jack Benny's TV persona. Benny would still be driving that Maxwell.
post #17 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
What exactly is a "cord cutter"?
I think a common definition would be one who drops pay-TV (per the traditional outlets). They are starting to use cord never generation for the young people who have never subscribed. Those are the ones that will alter the landscape going forward.

I have cut the cord twice. Neither was really about money per se. The first I wasn't satisfied with the HD image in general and I didn't have enough interest to sign-up with another provider. A year or so later I did as I wanted to catch the Tour de France and signed up for two or three years... forgot the actual terms. When that contract was up I had lost enough interest in the tour I cancelled which was roughly three years ago.

With a 4 tuner DVR and roughly 40 series scheduled to record OTA fills up the disk virtually year round. During the holiday repeats or between broadcast seasons it might get a little light. Which gives me time to binge a few of the series that aren't available to you OTA. Either streaming or via discs. For me Netlfix's original series are pretty much replacing the pay-TV series as a must see. A month of Netflix will catch me up with what interests me... there are only so many hours one can dedicate.
post #18 of 40 Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well, there's this thing called the internet...

I listen to the firewall and iceberg podcast. They review many new shows and discuss some popular ones at length.

The a.v. Club is another good source.

And of course this forum.
post #19 of 40 Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not all new shows get mentioned in the HDTV Programming sub-forum here.
Quote:
If you want to know what I mean by fuddy duddy cheapskate, think of Jack Benny's TV persona. Benny would still be driving that Maxwell.
I am a dirt cheap bastard and proud of it. As for Jack Benny his TV persona memorized the serial numbers of his money so nobody matches him.
post #20 of 40 Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Not all new shows get mentioned in the HDTV Programming sub-forum here.

I am a dirt cheap bastard and proud of it. As for Jack Benny his TV persona memorized the serial numbers of his money so nobody matches him.
With the serial numbers and the moat, Jack was definitely safeguarding his dough!
post #21 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As for finding shows and movies (as opposed to finding out about them), "Can I stream it" has a mobile app. I installed it yesterday, and it found a source for a Disney show I had been having trouble finding.
post #22 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I was going to say look at the this forum and see what threads seem to be popular as well. As for friends, my best friend is in the industry and seems to watch one episode of everything. Unfortunately unless I torrent I can't get all of the shows he has access to.

As for us cord cutters, enjoy it while it lasts. I think a lot of people that have cut the cord believe they have found a loophole to get programming less expensively. Cord cutters usually use free OTA and internet streaming either legal (Netflix etc) or illegal(torrents) to get their content. My question is when will the internet providers decide to raise their rates to offset the loss of revenue from their television content side? Also, how long till Netflix, Hulu etc raise their rates because they have to pay internet companies for streaming?

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #23 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Also, how long till Netflix, Hulu etc raise their rates because they have to pay internet companies for streaming?
Uhh... -2 months? Netflix raised its rates in May, less than three months after it agreed to pay Comcast's bandwidth blackmail fee. Imagine that!
post #24 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... My question is when will the internet providers decide to raise their rates to offset the loss of revenue from their television content side? ...
They already have raised their rates, and they will continue to do so. But the rate increases do not affect all subscribers equally. If a subscriber agrees to bundle the internet service with a high-tier TV package, the provider will often give him a discount on the internet service. But if you only want internet service, the provider will charge an arm and a leg.
post #25 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
They already have raised their rates, and they will continue to do so. But the rate increases do not affect all subscribers equally. If a subscriber agrees to bundle the internet service with a high-tier TV package, the provider will often give him a discount on the internet service. But if you only want internet service, the provider will charge an arm and a leg.
Correct, but if people keep cutting the cord then the internet only prices will continue to go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Uhh... -2 months? Netflix raised its rates in May, less than three months after it agreed to pay Comcast's bandwidth blackmail fee. Imagine that!
Why do you consider it a blackmail fee? If Netflix is chewing up a huge chunk of the bandwidth, then why should people who have Comcast but not Netflix have to pay for it?

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #26 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Correct, but if people keep cutting the cord then the internet only prices will continue to go up.

Why do you consider it a blackmail fee? If Netflix is chewing up a huge chunk of the bandwidth, then why should people who have Comcast but not Netflix have to pay for it?
Unlimited bandwidth until something comes along that can use some, then they go back on their word and they still seem to be increasing their margins annually, just because they can. Cable companies/satellite providers will continue to raise prices, they'll use any excuse they can pull out of the hat. I figure Netflix is actually doing the public a favor, otherwise the cable companies wouldn't spend diddly squat on upgrading their systems.
post #27 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Comcast is extorting money from Netflix in order to give Netflix the grade of service that should be granted to anyone automatically under the principle of net neutrality.
post #28 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This started out as a great topic and something I would sure like to follow, that is to say, how to find new content fo us cord cutters or partial cord cutters. I would sure like to see it return to that rather than a definition of cord cutter. BTW, I am both "partial cord cutter"and "fuddy duddy cheapskate". I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

Very interesting about the "Can I stream it" has a mobile app". I need to look into that. Thanks.
post #29 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

If you are willing to pay money for a special streaming device, such as Roku, I think those often come with electronic program guides built in. Otherwise, you may be pretty much stuck having to do your own research.

There are several good sites: Variety, TV Worth Watching, Media Life, and a few others.

In addition to learning about programs that are available, you'll also receive wisdom from the likes of Tabitha, who was much, much smarter than the crowd that glorifies "Game of Thrones".

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...years-ago.html
post #30 of 40 Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

There's no need to ask. Anyone who paid 100 bucks a month for 20 years and finally decided to take matters in their own hands is showing signs of sanity IMO. 5 thousand bucks and you watched 3-5 things that really entertained you?

For some, it was a moment or a growing realization that the time to stop paying for garbage being dropped on your head was at hand. Simple Really. Turn if off or take control of what you consume.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page