post #31 of 168 Old 07-06-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Even I've got abs tailor-made for an ultrasound.
I think he was referring to the "lift the shirt so they can do the ultrasound" scene that immediately precedes it. See my comment above about Ms. Berry's figure. World class.

That said, she has had her own kids since that famous bikini scene in the Bond movie and that awful Travolta flick where she finally gave up the goodies. Don't any of you say you don't know which scenes I'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 168 Old 07-06-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I don't know which scenes (or even movies) you're talking about, and I feel bad for the women on this forum who may read your posts, since you never seem to rate actresses based on their ability to act...

I just hope Halle Berry has been given enough material to do a good show. I'm not convinced that another fictional future with robotic children is going to have enough interesting elements to sustain an entire season, let alone several seasons of good TV.
daryl zero likes this.
post #33 of 168 Old 07-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I don't know which scenes (or even movies) you're talking about, and I feel bad for the women on this forum who may read your posts, since you never seem to rate actresses based on their ability to act...
When the director wants you topless on a lawn chair, it's not because he thinks you're a good enough actress to pull it off convincingly - it's because there's something there that's going to look good on screen.

Personally, I don't think she can act at all. I once thought she might have some talent in there somewhere, but after that dreadful 911 Operator movie, I now seriously doubt it. Complimenting her physical attributes instead of her acting ability - IMO - is an act of mercy.
rezzy likes this.
post #34 of 168 Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Don't any of you say you don't know which scenes I'm talking about.
Watchu talkin' about, Willis?

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #35 of 168 Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Even I've got abs tailor-made for an ultrasound.

Why am I convinced that I'd have no trouble identifying Ms. Berry's abs versus yours?
post #36 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ah, well then. I might suggest you try reading some of my posts in, say, the 'Orphan Black' or 'Penny Dreadful' threads where I rate the actresses' acting ability quite highly. Don't want to burst your bubble, or preconceptions. But thanks for the comment; I'll try not to disappoint you in the future. BTW, there's a certain thread in the movie/DVD forum I'd stay away from if I were you.

And, as long as we're talking self-improvement, you might want to work on that sense of humor...
philw1776, gwsat, UTV2TiVo and 1 others like this.
post #37 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
As for most shows I'll always give them the pilot and maybe a couple of more eps to make a judgement. (Dominion I only could tolerate 2 and I was out)

I hope Hale Berry delivers in TV, ala Mads Mikkelsen

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #38 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I take it that this is intended as a one-season-and-done series? If not, it's going to be hard to explain why Berry's robo-son looks older in Season 2.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #39 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

A self-lengthening android? Those will be all over the place in 20yrs. This is looking like A.I. meets Contact, but I'll watch the pilot if nothing else...

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #40 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When the director wants you topless on a lawn chair, it's not because he thinks you're a good enough actress to pull it off convincingly - it's because there's something there that's going to look good on screen.

Personally, I don't think she can act at all. I once thought she might have some talent in there somewhere, but after that dreadful 911 Operator movie, I now seriously doubt it. Complimenting her physical attributes instead of her acting ability - IMO - is an act of mercy.

I thought she was quite good in "Monster's Ball."
post #41 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Didn't see Monster's Ball. Didn't seem like my kind of movie.
post #42 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I take it that this is intended as a one-season-and-done series? If not, it's going to be hard to explain why Berry's robo-son looks older in Season 2.
It's called suspension of disbelief. Nobody complained that Brent Spiner kept aging over the course of TNG's seven years, even though Data was an android. I agree with rezzy that there will probably be some plot device to explain the robochild's aging (or it will "die" before the season is through).
post #43 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Didn't see Monster's Ball. Didn't seem like my kind of movie.
Good. You missed nothing except Billy Bob who's acting is slightly worse than Ms Berry's. If anyone wants to see the real Halle Berry, check out Baps; you won't look at her the same again.

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #44 of 168 Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Good. You missed nothing except Billy Bob who's acting is slightly worse than Ms Berry's. If anyone wants to see the real Halle Berry, check out Baps; you won't look at her the same again.

Apparently the Academy disagrees with you. Ms. Berry won the Best Actress Oscar for her role in 2002's "Monster's Ball."
post #45 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
It's called suspension of disbelief. Nobody complained that Brent Spiner kept aging over the course of TNG's seven years, even though Data was an android. I agree with rezzy that there will probably be some plot device to explain the robochild's aging (or it will "die" before the season is through).
Nobody complained because Data was always in pursuit of become more human. Therefore, it would make sense to assume that he might have been altering his appearance in order to appear to age. In fact, we know he deliberately added grey hair later after he was no longer serving on the Enterprise.

That, however, would be a far cry from a child who is not only appearing older, but is physically growing.

If the kid were a clone, that would be one thing...

...on the other hand, they could always have scene 1 of season 2 be with him at the lab having is body upgraded to "Growth Package 6A" that would create the appearance that he's now a Twean Machine.
post #46 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the plan for this show is it's a midi-series. "One and done" - 13 episodes and it's over. So they won't have to worry about the child aging thing.

Of course, 'Under the Dome' was supposed to be a "one and done" summer fill-in, too. Then lots of people had to go and watch it, leading to a second season even worse than the first (based on extrapolating from what's already been aired).
phildaant likes this.
post #47 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Apparently the Academy disagrees with you. Ms. Berry won the Best Actress Oscar for her role in 2002's "Monster's Ball."
And I disagree with the academy. Every winner they've selected over the last dozen or so years, has absolutely no replay value. For me, that is.

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #48 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I think the plan for this show is it's a midi-series. "One and done" - 13 episodes and it's over. So they won't have to worry about the child aging thing.

Of course, 'Under the Dome' was supposed to be a "one and done" summer fill-in, too. Then lots of people had to go and watch it, leading to a second season even worse than the first (based on extrapolating from what's already been aired).
I think CBS took Under the Dome's success to heart. There is already talk of where Extant can go in season two.

post #49 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I think CBS took Under the Dome's success to heart. There is already talk of where Extant can go in season two.
Straight to hell in some sort of basket one would carry by hand?
VisionOn likes this.
post #50 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Not really. Replace the shell with one with longer limbs and a slightly aged face, a whole life series of reusable body shells so a younger "child" of someone else "grows" into the shell Berry's son "grew out of" to help keep costs from being to astronomical.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #51 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
A self-lengthening android? Those will be all over the place in 20yrs. This is looking like A.I. meets Contact, but I'll watch the pilot if nothing else...
with a mix of "Aliens"..She should be good for a couple of extra Nielsen points in the ratings..

post #52 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
As noted in an earlier post, I thought Halle Berry's Best Actress Oscar was the result of her turning in the performance of a lifetime in the role of a lifetime, in a year that had few meaty roles for leading ladies. It happens once in a while.

I profoundly disagree that Billy Bob Thornton is anything but a gifted actor. He is far from handsome and still has his Arkansas twang but he creates characters that are both believable and compelling, it seems to me. I thought Thornton was great as the creepy but funny Lorne Malvo in Fargo. His Oscar nominated performance as the mentally challenged, Karl Childers, in Sling Blade was one of the finest I have seen on film. I thought he should have won the Best Actor Oscar. Fortunately, Thornton did win the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for Sling Blade.
acebreathe and UTV2TiVo like this.
post #53 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
It's called suspension of disbelief. Nobody complained that Brent Spiner kept aging over the course of TNG's seven years, even though Data was an android.
Children visibly age much faster than adults.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #54 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Children visibly age much faster than adults.
That was a bit of a problem when filming The Sound of Music, which took almost a year. Some kids got lifts in their shoes so you wouldn't see one kid shorter than another in one shot and taller in a later shot.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #55 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I profoundly disagree that Billy Bob Thornton is anything but a gifted actor. He is far from handsome and still has his Arkansas twang but he creates characters that are both believable and compelling, it seems to me. I thought Thornton was great as the creepy but funny Lorne Malvo in Fargo. His Oscar nominated performance as the mentally challenged, Karl Childers, in Sling Blade was one of the finest I have seen on film. I thought he should have won the Best Actor Oscar. Fortunately, Thornton did win the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for Sling Blade.
Um, OK. But I cringe whenever I see him; so does Angelina Jolie

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #56 of 168 Old 07-08-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Um, OK. But I cringe whenever I see him; so does Angelina Jolie
Oh, I think I understand your position. Thornton is really a character actor whose talent has allowed him to get some starring roles. He is so edgy and weird in everything he does, I am certain that you aren't the only viewer who is immune to his shtick, his charm certainly paled for Angelina.
post #57 of 168 Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing I haven't seen before (so far), but I'm on board. The subplots could keep it interesting for a while. Spielberg-produced network programs tend to not fare very well, so Extant needs to go somewhere fast and not do the LOST thing. This is going to get "eyeballs" simply because of Berry, and coupled with strong writing could turn out to be a winner.

"But I didn't do it...!"
post #58 of 168 Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Jeepers ... glad I actually watched the pilot *before* I checked in on this thread.
post #59 of 168 Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Jeepers ... glad I actually watched the pilot *before* I checked in on this thread.
Yeah, I had to watch the pilot because of this thread, but sadly, after watching the pilot I tend to agree with the general sentiment. It just didn't do it for me at all. It's summer though, so I may give it another shot or two.
post #60 of 168 Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Geesh, 3/4s of the lower 48 time zones have seen it, but the number of comments is extremely slim.

DVR viewers need to watch it yet, in order to skip the ads?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page