Extant - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
I'm undecided. Most of the way through, I was ready to bail, but the last 10 minutes made me at least be prepared to give it another shot.

My main issue is, if they try to extend this out to another season, exactly where do they take it?
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Pilot was OK. I only enjoyed the flashbacks in space.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
DVR viewers need to watch it yet, in order to skip the ads?
This HD DVR viewer watched it, skipping most of the ads.

This show has potential and it kept me interested. However,
Spoiler!

Yes, I think the series looks like it has lots of potential and, so far, it has hooked me. I hope they do good with it and not lose me like Lost lost me by being too loose about sticking to the premise and furthering the core story.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Great... Hiroyuki Sanada is in charge of the evil corporation. Fasten your seatbelts for more dull revelations, like, "Oh, there's a basement in this facility," and, "Oh, you're my son," as episode cliffhangers, while he never gives a straight answer to anything people actually ask him.

</helix>

Anyway, I thought it was good for CBS, but that's not saying much. At first I thought the dead boyfriend/husband was an alien doing the typical "taking a familiar form so as to not frighten the silly human" behaviour, but judging from the evil corporation scenes and previews, it seems more likely that the source of the mind control was humans' doing in order to impregnate her with whatever it is. At least she got to spend 13 months with TIM? The Tomorrow People live on!

My minor gripes included:
  • The station apparently still uses incandescent lightbulbs in 2100, since Molly burned her hand on one. Way to make an energy-efficient space station of the future, guys.
  • The station is called "Seraphim", even though there is apparently only one of it. Maybe it has dissociative identity disorder. (That might also explain the malfunctions!)
  • The husband says that Molly had better get used to Ethan, because he was as close as they were going to get to having a son. ...or they could just adopt, the way any normal, sane couple would.

I've heard of wives complaining about husbands who bring their work home, but John takes that behaviour to an entirely new level.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I guess she could've just pinched herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming. Or set her phaser to "stun". And being married to a brilliant scientist seems just a bit too convenient.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
My take is it played a little too dramatic, they could lose the robot arc (too distracting from the main plot for a short run - perhaps they are tied together...) and the only WTF moment was when she deleted the security footage... no way she would have access to it.

Now it didn't bother me but why the heck is the trash bin located outside the house? Seems to me they would simply run the piping or installed the process in the house itself. Or was it simply stored in the unit for later pickup?
phildaant likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 529
a) Vaporizing garbage is going to release toxic vapors. If the catalytic converter fails, you don't want those gases to be inside your house.
b) The amount of energy needed to vaporize the garbage is enough that you don't want it to fail explosively inside your house.

In either case better it happen to the neighbors!
phildaant likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
RJO

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My biggest unbelievable moment was when the doctor allowed HB to leave after finding her pregnant. The Apollo astronauts were quarantined upon their return from the moon due to the uncertainty of contacting an unknown organism. Being in space for 13 months with no contact and showing up pregnant should have raised all sorts of alarms and protocols. No respectable doctor is going to let her walk out into the world as if nothing has happened.
phildaant likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO View Post
No respectable doctor is going to let her walk out into the world as if nothing has happened.
He's not really a doctor; he just plays one on TV.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Plus it might all be a massive conspiracy and the doctor is supposed to let her leave and wander around with her genetically modified alien hybrid offspring.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO View Post
My biggest unbelievable moment was when the doctor allowed HB to leave after finding her pregnant.
... and HB didn't ask "how far along am I?" ???
At least she could have established the date of conception and see if it coincided with the date of "the incident".

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If TV has taught us anything, it's that alien/human hybrid children grow extremely fast. Ordinary pediatric dating techniques mean nothing. Expect this child to be entering high school by the end of the season.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
and the only WTF moment was when she deleted the security footage... no way she would have access to it.
And you know that how? You didn't design the station or the software. If something were to happen on the station, like it did, the person on that station would have to have the ability to view any and all security footage.

Having the ability to delete it is another issue. Access is not.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Pilot was OK. I only enjoyed the flashbacks in space.
I'm with you on this. Not sure Ms. Berry is right for this. Her blow up in the park didn't work for me. The idea that she wants the doctor to wait before reporting the pregnancy is a head-scratcher. Unless she aborts the pregnancy, how's that going to help?
phildaant likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
If TV has taught us anything, it's that alien/human hybrid children grow extremely fast. Ordinary pediatric dating techniques mean nothing. Expect this child to be entering high school by the end of the season.
The doctor still expects a human child, so I am a bit surprised that more wasn't done to determine the age and health of the fetus, or maybe she wanted to break it to her that she is pregnant before scheduling more tests and an ultrasound.

But, yes, once it is determined the child isn't fully human, time scales could be off, but TV has taught us that we still equate humanoid alien development in human equivalencies, even if it means that each day the fetus is a month further developed.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
You didn't design the station or the software.

Having the ability to delete it is another issue. Access is not.
it = unprotected data not read only. However do pilots have access to the Black Box? If I or any old hack designed the system (heck I did that for years) the data would be downloaded on a regular basis... if not real-time.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; 07-10-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I'm with you on this. Not sure Ms. Berry is right for this. Her blow up in the park didn't work for me. The idea that she wants the doctor to wait before reporting the pregnancy is a head-scratcher. Unless she aborts the pregnancy, how's that going to help?
While her acting skills are questionable, HB was picked because she has "star-power" (though that power is mostly being easy on the eyes); she's gonna draw viewers. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and will watch to see where it goes.

But I'll jump ship only when it gets obscenely absurd, and it's not too far away from that already.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 123
So the conception was that alien ghost just running his finger down Molly's belly? or was it more to it? maybe she thought the alien was a hallucination and had pretend sex with him, so she deleted the footage so they didn't catch her moaning and stuff on tape. I wonder if she even view the footage to confirm it was her mind or a real ghost/alien
phildaant likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13

Last edited by DrLar; 07-10-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Bad spelling sorry
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
So the conception was that alien ghost just running his finger down Molly's belly? or was it more to it? maybe she thought the alien was an hallucination and had pretend sex with him, so she deleted the footage so they didn't catching her moaning and stuff on tape. I wonder if she even view the footage to confirm it was her mind or a real ghost/alien
Never have unprotected ghost sex.
phildaant likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure they had pretend sex; she was just too freaked to finish viewing. But have no fear, someone will produce the backed-up back-up hard drive with the whole thing...
phildaant likes this.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Laughable part is when the shrink said that" your words would be confidential". Meanwhile, half of the building is listening and watching her in the office..
ss9001 and phildaant like this.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
I'm pretty sure they had pretend sex; she was just too freaked to finish viewing. But have no fear, someone will produce the backed-up back-up hard drive with the whole thing...
Not unless they use the same tech support that the IRS does.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Expect this child to be entering high school by the end of the season.
...and leading a pacifist cult by the end of season 2! Oh wait, wrong show.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
it = unprotected data not read only. However do pilots have access to the Black Box? If I or any old hack designed the system (heck I did that for years) the data would be downloaded on a regular basis... if not real-time.
Ya, I forgot that the security camera (are they really security cameras?) video would all be on display in master control, 24/7 and recorded on the ground as well. They would have seen her reacting to nothing.

But, that would ruin the story.
phildaant likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 213
O.K......I've tried to watch the show twice and keep falling asleep.

So, am I that tired or is the show a snoozer?
DRaven72 likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
O.K......I've tried to watch the show twice and keep falling asleep.

So, am I that tired or is the show a snoozer?

Nope. Boring. Caught myself dozing off. Characters seem lifeless to me. Any who. I though we did this before with the AI and it was called Terminator? Alien? TermiAlien? I will tell you if it bust out of her stomach like a chest burster, I will be intrigued.

When does Walking Dead come back on?

Cool Beans.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Another mediocre network attempt at scifi. I'll watch it but the pilot wasn't particularly involving. After all the preview hype, I expected much better.

IMO, a big plot hole is sending one lone astronaut for 1+ yrs to a space station, not a orbiting laboratory or capsule but a large multi-roomed space station. one person even with AI, to manage the complexities of running the entire station, plus scientific work for 1 year...just not believable. as someone mentioned already...only 1 video record & not transmitted or monitored on earth real time...not believable.

Then there's Remake of AI, complete with a David. Maybe the kid will go Terminator Even if that happens, which is a possibility given "Extant>>Extinct" and the kid going bratty, nothing new here either.

Dialog, pretty wooden. Scene with Doc & Psychiatrist...predictable to a T. Pregnancy by unknown, invisible alien or AI, take your pick, either one has been done before.

Halle Berry? really not all that wonderful acting either, like she was going thru the motions.

Cliches, plotholes & no drama. And the Man from Helix is back with same acting & dialog style too.

It all becomes clearer when you see "Steven Spielberg" in the credits.

Maybe it'll get better.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-11-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

thinking about it - since it seems to be focused on AI, robitics & machines, there's a high probability of "dad" being a manifestation of the AI, whether collective or the station entity a question.

with the title morph (where have we seen this before ) and these hints, this could just be a retelling of Terminator, the Matrix or Demon Seed.

if there's another silver haired child, maybe Spielberg phoned it in while doing Falling Skies

IMO, the pilot was neither that dramatic, suspenseful or have much mystery to it other than who's the "dad" and the "ghost" at the end -Ghost in the Machine?

it was just sort of bland & not particularly original. I guess OK for summer-fare & hopefully better than Under the Dome

I didn't fall asleep but I was disappointed.

I think I've been spoiled by HBO, Showtime & BBC America for quality drama.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-11-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
IMO, a big plot hole is sending one lone astronaut for 1+ yrs to a space station, not a orbiting laboratory or capsule but a large multi-roomed space station. one person even with AI, to manage the complexities of running the entire station, plus scientific work for 1 year...just not believable. as someone mentioned already...only 1 video record & not transmitted or monitored on earth real time...not believable.
It's believable in the context of a privatized space program. After all, what's a corporation's primary goal? To increase profits. What's the fastest way to do that? Reduce labor costs. How do they accomplish that? Lay off employees and make those that remain work harder and longer.

Make one astronaut do the work of six. Limit production costs; increase the stock price and executive bonuses. Perfectly normal corporate behavior.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
LOL & so true.

Steve